NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I just wanna say thank you to both Necere and W360 for making and delivering the best mITX case ever made. :)

4QMyWSKh.jpg

So wide graphics cards such as the EVGA classifieds wont fit, but water blocks will? This XSPC water block seems to jut out quite a bit

5060175583215s.jpg

So wide graphics cards such as the EVGA classifieds wont fit, but water blocks will? This XSPC water block seems to jut out quite a bit

5060175583215s.jpg

The [H] requires that I type something, but I'm mostly going to let Necere do the talking...

Most GPU waterblocks will be fine, so long as you stick with reference PCB cards and don't use overly large fittings. See the watercooling testing I did for pics of an Alphacool full-cover block installed.

One exception I'm aware of are the EK CSQ-style blocks with the separate connector block. 99% sure those will exceed the width of the case.

Great to hear that people on #26 are starting to receive their case(s). I'm in North Carolina and hopeful that mine will get delivered either tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

How did you rule out the other Taiwan ports for the US packages?

Cargo for NL usually comes in at Rotterdam, might not go direct but possibly via Singapore.

Can you post or send me a screen shot of your iPost screen with the dates as well as the origin. It is the same thing you did several pages back in post 8606 I think, but I need all of the information for a more reliable answer.

At this point with the information I have, I think you are currently sitting in Hong Kong on the APL Paris. You won't start moving again until December 23. However the real-time tracking information I have says that the ship is actually stopped in the East China Sea among the small islands off the coast of Hangzhou (0 knots). Prior to that you spent one day on the San Francisco Bridge which left port on December 13th. After you leave Hong Kong you will stop at Yantian, then at Singapore, and then you will work your way up through the Malacca Strait, past the Bay of Bengal into the Arabian Sea's Gulf of Aden, through the Suez Canal, across the Mediterranean Sea, through the Strait of Gibraltar, up the Celtic Sea, through the English Channel, to Rotterdam where the ship will be unloaded onto an inland waterway barge that will take it to Amsterdam. Arrival in Rotterdam is scheduled for January 19th. The barge will leave on January 21st, and will arrive in Amsterdam on January 22. Total transit time is 40 days.

The APL Paris is 347m x 45m, so its a bigger ship than ours was, and was built in 2012. The inland water barge is blue (I don't know that for sure but it is possible). :D

Can you post or send me a screen shot of your iPost screen with the dates as well as the origin. It is the same thing you did several pages back in post 8606 I think, but I need all of the information for a more reliable answer.

At this point with the information I have, I think you are currently sitting in Hong Kong on the APL Paris. You won't start moving again until December 23. However the real-time tracking information I have says that the ship is actually stopped in the East China Sea among the small islands off the coast of Hangzhou (0 knots). Prior to that you spent one day on the San Francisco Bridge which left port on December 13th. After you leave Hong Kong you will stop at Yantian, then at Singapore, and then you will work your way up through the Malacca Strait, past the Bay of Bengal into the Arabian Sea's Gulf of Aden, through the Suez Canal, across the Mediterranean Sea, through the Strait of Gibraltar, up the Celtic Sea, through the English Channel, to Rotterdam where the ship will be unloaded onto an inland waterway barge that will take it to Amsterdam. Arrival in Rotterdam is scheduled for January 19th. The barge will leave on January 21st, and will arrive in Amsterdam on January 22. Total transit time is 40 days.

The APL Paris is 347m x 45m, so its a bigger ship than ours was, and was built in 2012. The inland water barge is blue (I don't know that for sure but it is possible). :D

The APL Paris was in Qingdao when my package was loaded.

I think you are just guessing :)

Got my parts in and installed F20. The slim load DVD from Digistor was defective, the load mechanics don't work. I replaced the fan on the ST455F and noise is fine, except for the stock intel cooler I have on the i5. Any suggestions for an air cooler I can slap on and use semi-passively? (e.g. no direct fan, but use the 120mm fan from the side of the case)

BTW, love the SSD mounting system!

The APL Paris was in Qingdao when my package was loaded.

I think you are just guessing :)

When was your package loaded and how do you know?

Take another look at what I wrote and you'll see that your package was loaded onto the San Francisco Bridge not the APL Paris. So it doesn't matter where the APL Paris was when your package was loaded. The APL Paris starts its voyage from Qingdao. It then stops at Shaghai before stopping at Hong Kong. Hong Kong is where the transfer from the San Francisco Bridge takes place. The schedule says that the San Francisco Bridge takes one day to get to Hong Kong, however it doesn't say that your package is transferred to the APL Paris the day the San Francisco Bridge arrives. In fact the APL Paris is still in transit probably from either Qingdao or Shaghai. This explains why the APL Paris is currently stopped near Shanghai. It doesn't have to leave Hong Kong for three more days, so it should be going there next. This means your package isn't even on the APL Paris yet.

Now I am not sure why you think I am guessing, of course I'm guessing. Intelligent guessing is what Monte Carlo simulations and all the disclaimers I have provided are all about. I'm just trying to help those in the Netherlands understand the probable schedules for their unfortunate situation. The more information you give me the better my results will be. If you want to do it on your own I understand.

Last edited:
I am the proud owner of 0751. There is a small nick on the top cover near the top left (where it touches the front panel) but otherwise it appears to be in perfect shape upon initial inspection (haven't delved inside just yet). I don't think I fully appreciated just how small this little guy was until I finally ripped open the packaging. Quality is typical Lian Li style.

Cheers to Necere & Wahaha360 for all your work and continued work with respect to this project. Can't wait to build a rig in this thing, just finalizing some ideas and research while waiting for the Frozen-Q res to come in.

Got my parts in and installed F20. The slim load DVD from Digistor was defective, the load mechanics don't work.

Damn, really sorry to hear that. Let me know if you need an email or phone number for Digistor.

Also, what kind of power cable config are you using for the ODD? Necere had issues using the Silverstone slim SATA power cable, where it appeared to be working, but with load/eject issues..

Yeah, it's this one. Interesting note about that: it has a slim SATA connector at the end which didn't seem to be supplying the ODD I used with the right voltage (I assume). It was getting power, but would just eject the disc when inserted. The other adapter I used worked fine.

Any suggestions for an air cooler I can slap on and use semi-passively? (e.g. no direct fan, but use the 120mm fan from the side of the case)

Both the Noctua C12 & C14 coolers can be used in that setup. C14 will not allow fitment for the HDD rack or ATX PSU and the C12 does. NOTE: This is confirmed for ASUS motherboards w/centrally located processor. YMV, for fitment with other boards.

Last edited:
I have the StarUSA adapter. It gets power but fails to accept/eject discs. The cable could be the problem, but I would be surprised.

I have the ASRock Z87E-ITX, read that the C12 would work, but haven't seen it in a semi-passive setup...

Quick question about rad fans for the Swiftech MCR220-XP. I want some fans that are capable of pushing some serious air when I'm benching but want to be able to dial them down for everyday use to near silent levels. I was planning on using some Scythe gentle typhoons but it seems you cant control the speed because of no pwm. I was wondering for those planning a custom loop which fans were you planning on using? My ears are pretty sensitive to changes in noise so I really want fans that do not make any weird sounds when I'm going for silent operation. I have a H220 with the Helix fans and those seem to perform well enough. I have also used some Noiseblocker fans on a buddies build and he seems to like those. I just was wondering what the rest of you guys planned on using.

Edit: I will be going with the new MSI ITX mobo and powering the fans via the fan headers. Newegg lists it as having 1 cpu 4 pin and 1 system fan 4 pin so I may try and use a splitter and run both rad fans off of one header and maybe place another fan below the gpu running off the other header.

I'm getting 2 Corsair Air Series SP120 Performance Edition PWM i think they are the best choice all around, I was also thinking maybe adding 2 Scythe Slip Stream 2000 RPM but there no PWM fans so i would just run those @ 7v .

Also, what kind of power cable config are you using for the ODD? Necere had issues using the Silverstone slim SATA power cable, where it appeared to be working, but with load/eject issues..

I'll just add my experience with this. I bought the Blu-ray drive from Digistor along with the Silverstone Slim SATA adapter. When I received both I checked to make sure that the drive worked (I hooked it up to my desktop). The drive worked fine, loading, ejecting (via the eject button and the OS) and I played both DVDs and Blu-rays from it.

I honestly missed that Necere had issues with this adapter, but I didn't have any issues with it.

Out of curiosity, do you think it would be possible to fit the Silverstone ST55F-G (140mm depth) with a full size GPU if you use those new PP05-E cables? The amount you can bend the cables from the connector make it seem like you can fit the cable's connector + wires within the 20mm gap between the PSU and the back of the GPU.

pp05-e-4.jpg

Out of curiosity, do you think it would be possible to fit the Silverstone ST55F-G (140mm depth) with a full size GPU if you use those new PP05-E cables? The amount you can bend the cables from the connector make it seem like you can fit the cable's connector + wires within the 20mm gap between the PSU and the back of the GPU.

pp05-e-4.jpg

No the modular plugs would stick out to far.

20130420163501-2013-04-19-02.13.24.jpg

Funny how this picture shows so much room that PSU would have to be 13cm or even 12cm and seeing ATX PSU only go down to 14cm.

6zYUcgI.jpg

I just wanna say thank you to both Necere and W360 for making and delivering the best mITX case ever made. :)

Hear, hear! And sweet #500 serial!

Cheers to Necere & Wahaha360 for all your work and continued work with respect to this project.
And thanks to all of you for making it possible :)

The gap is ~10mm, not 20.

Funny how this picture shows so much room that PSU would have to be 13cm or even 12cm and seeing ATX PSU only go down to 14cm.
That's a Nexus NX-6000 in the render, which is 125mm long.

And thanks to all of you for making it possible :)

The gap is ~10mm, not 20.

That's a Nexus NX-6000 in the render, which is 125mm long.

Wow that is short for a ATX unit seems like a good choice if your going ATX .

Okay, got it. I thought the case was able to fit 160mm non-modular PSUs.

Power supply:

SFX up to 130mm, modular or non-modular.
ATX support via included bracket is limited to 140mm non-modular PSUs with cards longer than 200mm. ATX PSUs are not recommended due to limited room for long cables. Caution: the AC inlet orientation on some ATX power supplies may prevent the angle plug from fitting, please check carefully. See this image.

Thats a Nexus PSU, which is 125mm long.

Seems I wasn't quick enough, hehe..

I have the StarUSA adapter. It gets power but fails to accept/eject discs. The cable could be the problem, but I would be surprised.

I have the ASRock Z87E-ITX, read that the C12 would work, but haven't seen it in a semi-passive setup...
If you have a spacer for the fan, and create a duct down to the C12, you will effectively be using the side fan as the CPU fan/case fan. Its the perfect setup where your pulling in the coolest air to cool the CPU, where its needed.

Just use your old 120mm fans, chop up the fan and use the frame as a duct. Bolt the frames together with spare M4 or M3 bolts. (not in the screw set)

Great news that shipment 26 finally came in. This is the first thing I've ever pre-ordered and I'm so glad it's finally happening. Unfortunately I had it sent to my office and we're shut down until January 2nd...

Hmm... just to be clear, am I correct in assuming this is the aforementioned type of EK block that probably won't fit?

That will fit fine there is room above the card, Only cards with custom PCBs that are higher than reference will have a problems like people have said the EVGA classified models.

Hmm... just to be clear, am I correct in assuming this is the aforementioned type of EK block that probably won't fit?
No, that one should fit fine. I was specifically talking about the "CSQ" blocks, like this one. They are readily identifiable by the circles machined into the top. The waterblock itself will fit, but the way they're designed has the ports pointing down toward the bottom of the case, which makes for some awkward routing in the M1. To have the ports in the more "normal" orientation, a separate bridge block is used, like so:

vfJCBlv.jpg

It's this bridge block that exceeds the width of the case.

That will fit fine there is room above the card, Only cards with custom PCBs that are higher than reference will have a problems like people have said the EVGA classified models.

No, that one should fit fine. I was specifically talking about the "CSQ" blocks, like this one. They are readily identifiable by the circles machined into the top. The waterblock itself will fit, but the way they're designed has the ports pointing down toward the bottom of the case, which makes for some awkward routing in the M1. To have the ports in the more "normal" orientation, a separate bridge block is used, like so:

vfJCBlv.jpg

It's this bridge block that exceeds the width of the case.

Ah... got it, thanks!

5060175583215s.jpg
US6eMCK.png

This the Aquacomputer R9 290X full-cover block. What I observed, 29mm measured just past the PCB would mean it would just (not) hit the fan bracket. But that is inset into the case, which means it will just clear the side panel. The only question is the plugs, will they hit. I suggest using L-shaped pivot plugs so you can potentially adjust it a little inward.

I'm probably at a point going to try this if I convince myself I somehow need watercooling for my GPU.

Take another look at what I wrote and you'll see that your package was loaded onto the San Francisco Bridge not the APL Paris.

Sorry it was late, I skipped over that bit and just googled APL Paris and saw the date didn't match.

I'm just trying to help those in the Netherlands understand the probable schedules for their unfortunate situation. The more information you give me the better my results will be. If you want to do it on your own I understand.

All I know I wrote in #8606 http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040473078&highlight=#post1040473078

This the Aquacomputer R9 290X full-cover block. What I observed, 29mm measured just past the PCB would mean it would just (not) hit the fan bracket. But that is inset into the case, which means it will just clear the side panel. The only question is the plugs, will they hit. I suggest using L-shaped pivot plugs so you can potentially adjust it a little inward.

I'm probably at a point going to try this if I convince myself I somehow need watercooling for my GPU.

This has all been covered before!

TCoHXxv.jpg

When that pic was rendered, the R9 290X and ofcourse the full-cover waterblocks weren't even announced. It's not about if the M1 supports full-cover blocks, but WHICH fit.

BTW: that picture is of a pre-prototype render, changes have been made in the meanwhile. That reservoir isn't available any more if I recall correctly.
I've been following this project for the most part of this year so that picture isn't new to me.

Last edited:
Sorry it was late, I skipped over that bit and just googled APL Paris and saw the date didn't match.

All I know I wrote in #8606 http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040473078&highlight=#post1040473078

So if your information says you left Kaohsiung instead of Keelung, then you may be on the Tsingtao Express instead. That is Asia to Europe loop 6 instead of Asia to Europe loop 7 that I described before. If this is the case, then the soonest you would have departed port is on Dec 16th. There are a couple of others that may be candidates as well like the China Express to OOCL Bangkok which departed December 17, and the Kuala Lumpur Express which departs on December 22. These all appear to be 'express' ships on loop 5 or loop 6 and aren't as good a match as the first option I proposed, given your Dec 11 date, your statement that it might not be direct, and your luck. Loop 5 and 6 still go through Singapore however.

If your package is on the Tsingtao Express then the dates are Dec 16th - Jan 17th Kaosiung to Antwerp, Jan 21st - Jan 22nd Antwerp to Amsterdam via inland waterway (barge). Transit time 37 days.

If your package is on the China Express, then the dates are Dec 17th - Dec 23rd Kaosiung to Singapore, Dec 26th - Jan 10th Singapore to Rotterdam via OOCL Bangkok, Jan 13th - Jan 14th Rotterdam to Amsterdam via inland waterway barge. Transit time 28 days.

No matter which option you choose to believe, if any, they all get your package to Amsterdam before Feb 1. You have to depart Kaohsiung Dec 30 or later to to get into Feb arrivals.

I have picked up my case at the post office this Friday (20 Dec ) . # 0671 arrived in France , dispatch 11 .

Thanks for Wahaha360 , Necere and all guys who had made this possible . I have missed the first indiegogo campaign for few days , so , i feel to be deeply indebted .

Great Christmas present for me , and from now , two weeks holiday to build my rig .

I wish that everybody will get the incoming deliveries as soon as possible . The last days seeming as long as the past months .

When that pic was rendered, the R9 290X and ofcourse the full-cover waterblocks weren't even announced. It's not about if the M1 supports full-cover blocks, but WHICH fit.

BTW: that picture is of a pre-prototype render, changes have been made in the meanwhile. That reservoir isn't available any more if I recall correctly.
I've been following this project for the most part of this year so that picture isn't new to me.

It doesn't mater if small changes have been made since that render, and it doesn't really mater if the R9 290x or water blocks were available or not because all reference video card PCBs are the same height meaning most water blocks are the same height as well, Its pretty obvious you need to use 90 Degree fittings or the hoses will hit the side bracket, Also you can pick up a frozenq Reservoir so who cares about the one in the render.

All full cover blocks will fit as long as the PCB hasn't been changed from its reference design.

Damn, really sorry to hear that. Let me know if you need an email or phone number for Digistor.

I tried my drive out a few days ago. I got the silverstone sata/power adapter. It seemed to work just fine. I thought the read speed was a bit slow, but I was using it to install VMware and didn't give it a full test.

I'll test it out some more, but the silverstone cable seems to work just fine as does the drive.

Not all blocks have the exact same dimensions for the part of the block where the port connections are. Some may be much wider than others, so you cannot state that they will all fit unless you've found the widest and confirmed it for yourself. Even then, saying they all fit is a gamble because they may change designs, or come out with a new block with different dims.

Not all blocks have the exact same dimensions for the part of the block where the port connections are. Some may be much wider than others, so you cannot state that they will all fit unless you've found the widest and confirmed it for yourself. Even then, saying they all fit is a gamble because they may change designs, or come out with a new block with different dims.

There is 35mm from the PCB to the side of the case no reference PCB water block will be made that big only PCB that are not flush with the expansion slots.

You can clearly see the PCB is higher than bracket.
e3fe4_a_116a.jpg

Back