NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Your first assumption is that Taiwan post would pre-sort the US-bound packages by state or even divide them by east/west. That is not necessarily true. This isn't the job for Taiwan post, it's the job for the postage distribution partner company in the States. So postal workers read only the "USA" part of the address and so they put all such packages into a large container marked "USA". When it's full, they send it to their partner in the States. That partner will decide the port it arrives.

I agree with you on this. It isn't my assumption that Taiwan would presort the packages. The reason I point out that the packages were individually addressed is that this means that they don't have to be remailed once they get to the US. This allows them to be put on any ship bound for the US, preferably the one that is the least expensive and takes the least time. Long Beach is the easy answer for this. NJ isn't known for its high volume of Asian shipping traffic, but long beach is and so is the port of Los Angeles and even Seattle, and so you really have to stretch your mind to find a reason to send them all the way to NJ. One container filled with individually addressed packages shipped to Long Beach is no different than one container filled with individually addressed packages shipped to New Jersey, except that the later costs more and takes longer. So I am simply trying to understand why the farthest more expensive port was chosen (twice) when three better defaults were available. Otherwise why don't all Asian shipments go to NJ? There has to be a reason, W360 probably knows it, and I would just like to understand it.

also, bear in mind that cargo shipping differentiates between feeders and mainliners.

mainliners are doing the intercontinental transit to central hubs and from there, a feeder ship, which only travels intracontinental routes may take the package from e.g. LA to NY if thats the cheaper way to do it.

But is it faster and less expensive to transfer the packages to another ship, send it through the Panama canal, then to NJ so that it can then travel the same distance via land when it was already on land in LA?

depends on soo many things. maybe the truck from the east coast is cheaper and the shipper has still free place on the feeder, i don't know

Wow Necere and Whaha360.

You keep on amazing me. Is there anything I (we) can do to return a favor?

Maybe a christmas card or something? :p

I feel you are still looking at it from the perspective of just the NCase packages, and not in the greater view of many thousands of tonnes of various goods handled by various companies with different objectives.

So I am simply trying to understand why the farthest more expensive port was chosen (twice) when three better defaults were available. Otherwise why don't all Asian shipments go to NJ?

Taiwan Post has a deal with USPS and also with one or two logistics broker(s). USPS says where the containers may be delivered. The broker(s) organise the logistics of TW distribution center to port, port to port, port to US-distribution center. Which route is taken, and what the costs are for Taiwan Post are not the same as if you are only thinking about the few hundred pieces of mail. We don't know what the logistics broker charges; nor what the subcontractors charge. Only some guessing about what the port-to-port costs.

But is it faster and less expensive to transfer the packages to another ship, send it through the Panama canal, then to NJ so that it can then travel the same distance via land when it was already on land in LA?

How do you expect it to be faster and less expensive that they will unload just one container (of the thousands), and open it and find inside it the few hundred packages (of the thousands) and move them to a different container on a different boat. It may be faster for the package itself, but not for the logistics workers.

Enter your tracking number here..

http://postserv.post.gov.tw/webpost/CSController?cmd=POS4007_1

And it should say the "Despatch" number (for US, boat #25 arrived in NJ last Wed, boat #26 is a week behind, and *should* be arriving tomorrow.. maybe.. hopefully).

Are there still any NJ residents awaiting boat #26 still pulling port watch for us? I'll be checking this thread like a hawk the next few days, in case tracking isn't updated.. I'll be expecting mine about 2 to 3 days after NJ and NY get theirs.

Thank you! This community rocks.

Dispatch 26 for me then. Come on Colorado delivery!

I feel you are still looking at it from the perspective of just the NCase packages, and not in the greater view of many thousands of tonnes of various goods handled by various companies with different objectives.

Taiwan Post has a deal with USPS and also with one or two logistics broker(s). USPS says where the containers may be delivered. The broker(s) organise the logistics of TW distribution center to port, port to port, port to US-distribution center. Which route is taken, and what the costs are for Taiwan Post are not the same as if you are only thinking about the few hundred pieces of mail. We don't know what the logistics broker charges; nor what the subcontractors charge. Only some guessing about what the port-to-port costs.

And they don't have any agreements, ships, or containers bound for the west coast from Asia? Maybe they don't have any ships bound for the east coast originating from Europe. ;) Hard to believe I agree.

How do you expect it to be faster and less expensive that they will unload just one container (of the thousands), and open it and find inside it the few hundred packages (of the thousands) and move them to a different container on a different boat. It may be faster for the package itself, but not for the logistics workers.

You make my point exactly. Its more expense and time consuming. All of the shipping lanes I see from Taiwan bound for NJ are direct to Panama, then to NJ with a few stops along the east cost. It will always be more expensive and time consuming for A + B where B > 0, than for A alone.

An 18inx18inx12in package shipped from Long Beach, CA to New York, NY via USPS Priority Mail Express 1-day costs $57.32 (10lbs), $50.07 (8lbs), $44.29 (6lbs). Most of the packages don't have to go that far, and a large number are bound for California anyway. So the average cost of 1-day would be considerably less than the cost to NY. Non express would be even less expensive.

Neither one of us has all of the facts as to why everything was shipped to NJ, and at this point it really doesn't matter. However I am confident that the sender has some choice in the destination. All we need is some details from W360 to know for sure. Otherwise everything both of us say is simply speculation, albeit is fun. :D

I can't be the only one that doesn't care about what happened along the way and why X boat chose route Y and if Z route would cost less than W.

What's done is done. The only thing useful now is the current statuses of each package in transit.

I suggest we bake an Ncase M1 cake for the Dutch and German members that have not received their case *, people in the US should do the same :) Ncase Owners Club !!!

(*) people who have received their case are also welcome :p

I can't be the only one that doesn't care about what happened along the way and why X boat chose route Y and if Z route would cost less than W.

What's done is done. The only thing useful now is the current statuses of each package in transit.

You're not alone. I'll take it a step further and say the only thing I care about is the case being delivered. Tracking doesn't get it here any faster.

My case arrived in France yesterday, the outer package was quite battered from the world trip, even the inner package took some hits, but the padding held up, and Ncase M1 #0170 is in pristine condition! *happy*

THANK YOU guys for making this possible and pulling all the way through!! :cool:

I hope everyone will get their package soon.

A Very BIG thanks to Wahaha360 and Necere for making this case a reality!
Number 0064 reporting in from CA (Dispatch 25). It was at the post office since Monday (16DEC).

Has anyone figured out a way to hold on the filters without a fan? I recall mention of using a particular type of screw, but I tried all the available screws and none of them really held the fan filter securely.

Bullets!

...or, you might be able to find or make a small diameter hole punch like this. This might not require as much patience and might produce cleaner more consistent holes faster. Not sure what the diameter of the holes are though. They sell 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm. Maybe these would be better.

Using a small hollow punch might not be a bad idea. Maybe I could wrap the panel first and then use the interior side to punch the holes through the perforated mesh. My only worry would be the hollow punch not being sharp enough for me to make a cut my just pushing and twisting with the hollow punch. I'll swing by Lowes and Home Depot to see if they sell any.

I thought about doing a wrap myself, but all the perforations really deterred me from thinking about it much further.

Most vinyl wrap how-to's seem to emphasize slicing, stretching & trimming rather than neat cuts. If I had the patience to do so, I'd probably wrap a panel, then use a needle to puncture from the inside out (place wrapped panel exterior against cardboard, to avoid any lifting), then use X-Acto blade to carefully cut maybe 2 or 3 slices per hole (from the outside in, using the needle holes for reference), then use a larger needle or punch to push the cut excess through the hole (while smoothing it against the interior of each hole), then trim off any excess from the inside of the panel (or fold it back against the interior side).

Or, you could just cut out the holes completely and hope you don't scratch the shit out of your new M1. Dunno, I've never wrapped anything yet, but have watched hundreds of how-to vids.. so I'm sort of an expert. Lol, j/k :D

I'd really like to see this done, but it seriously sounds like a huge pain in the ass. Lots of luck, though!

Making two cuts in a "+" shape and folding back the flaps might work, and it sounds a lot easier than tracing an exact circle through every hole of the mesh. I just wonder if the vinyl will hold its shape or if it will start to deform around the edges of the hole. We'll see; I was originally going to plastidip the case panels in white and then use a glossifier, but for some reason I got it in my head to put a white carbon fiber pattern on this sucker.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Using a small hollow punch might not be a bad idea. Maybe I could wrap the panel first and then use the interior side to punch the holes through the perforated mesh. My only worry would be the hollow punch not being sharp enough for me to make a cut my just pushing and twisting with the hollow punch. I'll swing by Lowes and Home Depot to see if they sell any.

Making two cuts in a "+" shape and folding back the flaps might work, and it sounds a lot easier than tracing an exact circle through every hole of the mesh. I just wonder if the vinyl will hold its shape or if it will start to deform around the edges of the hole. We'll see; I was originally going to plastidip the case panels in white and then use a glossifier, but for some reason I got it in my head to put a white carbon fiber pattern on this sucker.

What would be ideal would be to find a hole punch with an outer diameter equal to the diameter of the holes, and with a reverse blade so that the hole cut is the same as the outer diameter. That way you could do what you said and whack it. The vinyl would be flush with the edge of the hole. Another possibility might be to just find some thin strong steel tube (metal straw). The thin sides would act as the blade. You might also be able to make a punch with a reverse blade by taking a tube and drilling the end with a drill bit. Maybe this.

Maybe Necere could tell you what the hole diameter is.

Last edited:
got an email saying they're all out... :(
Any word on new production?

The original intent was to make one and only one production run. Your question would probably be better answered if you pm Necere since he is the designer.

Has anyone figured out a way to hold on the filters without a fan? I recall mention of using a particular type of screw, but I tried all the available screws and none of them really held the fan filter securely.
The included screws are insufficient; you'll need to purchase M4 nuts from a hardware store (or an equivalent screw/nut combo if M4 isn't available).

Maybe Necere could tell you what the hole diameter is.
The vent holes are 3mm.

got an email saying they're all out... :(
Any word on new production?
The original intent was to make one and only one production run. Your question would probably be better answered if you pm Necere since he is the designer.
We know there's interest, but we won't be making any announcements until the current shipment is wrapped up.

Well, I did my best to not indulge in a F5 press-fest on the tracking page, but since NL deliveries are going to be delayed, I might as well enjoy punishing my keyboard.

Is there any way to find out in what cargo ship dispatch 010 is (or any other, for that matter), in case we can track it on marinetraffic.com?

Well, I did my best to not indulge in a F5 press-fest on the tracking page, but since NL deliveries are going to be delayed, I might as well enjoy punishing my keyboard.

Is there any way to find out in what cargo ship dispatch 010 is (or any other, for that matter), in case we can track it on marinetraffic.com?

I would adore anyone that can give an answer on this question. =)

We know there's interest, but we won't be making any announcements until the current shipment is wrapped up.

Damn you parcel delivery! You're delaying the Ncases M2!!

I suppose getting my case wouldn't hurt as well. My pc parts so are lonely. :(

so I take it 26 didn't arrive in NJ today.

le sigh......

race to see which gets here first

M1 case prolly with pirates
Res (adamantium) limbo
r9 290 back order hell.

le sigh......

Res (adamantium) limbo
r9 290 back order hell.

Nope, not that anyone has mentioned.. tracking's still the same.

#26 is now at least 9 days off #25's schedule (was 7 days, when they left TW).. stupid old world transport. At least the remaining ground shipping isn't horse & buggy or steam train :p

le sigh......

Res (adamantium) limbo
r9 290 back order hell.

NJ here (#26 too), I think the ship is going to come through Port Newark (about 20 minutes from me).

So if any cases from #26 comes anytime soon, I think I'll be the first to tell everyone. :D

I'll keep my ear to the ground.

Last edited:

le sigh......

Res (adamantium) limbo
r9 290 back order hell.

You can also add these to the list of things that might happen first :p:

Judgement Day
Zombie Apocalypse
Half Life 3

We might be on the Hyundai Dynasty. It left Keelung Nov 8 and arrived tonight on schedule in the New Jersey port. Not sure if this is right, but it is the only ship I can find with the correct dates and origin and destination. If this is true we might see something in the next few days if the process isn't plugged up.

I just received my cases today! Haven't had a chance to open them up and check them out yet (work:() but I will as soon as I can.

We might be on the Hyundai Dynasty. It left Keelung Nov 8 and arrived tonight on schedule in the New Jersey port. Not sure if this is right, but it is the only ship I can find with the correct dates and origin and destination. If this is true we might see something in the next few days if the process isn't plugged up.

Hope so 'cuz I'm jonesin' here . . . /twitch

Looks like it came in and parked tonight at 10:50pm eastern time. So it has only been a little over an hour.

Nope, not that anyone has mentioned.. tracking's still the same.

#26 is now at least 9 days off #25's schedule (was 7 days, when they left TW).. stupid old world transport. At least the remaining ground shipping isn't horse & buggy or steam train :p

Must be that ship #25 was the fast ship:

containers.jpg

Sucks for us with our M1's on the #26 boat:

junk4.jpg

I just received my cases today! Haven't had a chance to open them up and check them out yet (work:() but I will as soon as I can.

I don't see you on the spreadsheet. Were you shipment 25 or 26? I don't want to waste time looking at a ship that isn't right if you were 26. Where are you located?

Must be that ship #25 was the fast ship:

Sucks for us with our M1's on the #26 boat:

If Dynasty is ours it was cranking at 19 knots off the coast of Maryland as it came in tonight. That's about 21.8 mph. Cargo ships average 23 knots (26mph) top speed. So ours might not have been too shabby. :D It looks really cool. Built in 2007. But from the measurements, its just a baby at 294m x 32m compared to the biguns at 398m x 58m. It looks like we went through a transfer 1 day into the journey in Hong Kong from the NYK Lodestar to the Dynasty, and really didn't get started until 9 days later (Nov 17th). Then we stopped at Yantian (China), then at Shanghai (China), then Busan (South Korea), and then started for real to Panama. After we got through Panama we stopped at Savannah, then Charleston, then ended in NJ/NY. So that's the detail I was looking for. Hope I am not up in the night. Oh wait I am dang. Take it for what its worth.

Last edited:
NOT TO SOON ! I haven't finished fondling the M1 :D

But I think many people will just be happy with the fact this isn't your last hardware brilliance you'd like to give to the world. I'd love to see more and I hope you both have the time and interest to realise that.

Edit: Nevermind!, found it in the backlog. Mine is #26.
How does one determine which ship their M1 is on?
Thanks!

Back