NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

would having an irc channel or some sort of chat channel be useful? does anyone know how to do that. im just thinking that the google doc prava made is prooving very useful, perhaps a chat channel could also provide some benefit?
just a suggestion.

And I can say again, that Noctua doesn't recommends to use this cooler in that orientation.
And I can say again that it still performs, but not optimally. At the moment it's at 36-37°C (22°C ambient) with the only fan in the system at 800rpm. The stress test results you can see above. Noctua hasn't said it will harm the cooler or the CPU, but heatpipes are not designed to work that way. They will still do their job but not as efficiently.

would having an irc channel or some sort of chat channel be useful? does anyone know how to do that. im just thinking that the google doc prava made is prooving very useful, perhaps a chat channel could also provide some benefit?
just a suggestion.

Irc channels are pretty easy to setup so long as you can get people to actually use it (not always the easiest thing). Just pick a server (rizon/irchighway/etc.....) and then create a channel and register it. I used to do it back in my nerdy college manga days (not proud of it).

just a suggestion.

If you need anything from the sheet, just say so.

Did someone change the sharing permissions for this? It is telling me I have to request permission to get access to it now.

Same here

No idea what happened since I didn't change it at all. I selected the same option it should have been (that anybody with the link can access it, edit it and whatnot).

Phuncz, do you reckon that the NH-C14 will be able to be placed in that (not optimal) orientation as well? I'm thinking that a slightly larger cooler might be beneficial now that is oriented the wrong way.

Thanks for the inspiration from your build. I'm looking forward to seeing you watercooling the GPU so I can give it a go as well ;)

Phuncz, do you reckon that the NH-C14 will be able to be placed in that (not optimal) orientation as well? I'm thinking that a slightly larger cooler might be beneficial now that is oriented the wrong way.
Let me field this one, as it will be useful more generally as an example of a method of determining fitment.

Based on Phuncz's fitment testing we know that:

• The NH-L12 on the Asrock Z87E-ITX will clear the rear panel of the M1 with heatpipes facing* rearward (but does not clear the top panel, i.e., does not fit the case in this orientation)
  • The NH-L12 on the Asrock Z87E-ITX will clear the top and rear panel of the M1 with heatpipes facing* downward (fits the case)

Based on published drawings from Noctua, we also know that:

• 62mm from CPU center on the Asrock Z87E-ITX clears the top panel (per NH-L12)
  • 88mm from CPU center on the Asrock Z87E-ITX will clear the rear panel (per NH-L12)

Therefore we can determine that:

• The NH-C12 on the Asrock Z87E-ITX will clear the top and rear panels with heatpipes facing* toward the rear (63mm to top panel, 85mm to rear panel)
  • The NH-C14 on the Asrock Z87E-ITX will not clear the top or rear panel in any orientation

*"Facing" = direction the ends of the heatpipes point.

6C8DBQD.jpg

Distance to CPU center is a good way of figuring out what heatsinks will fit with different boards.

Last edited:
Having fun with my only piece of hardware available.

ATX PSU (14cm)

dViY2s5.jpg

Fortunately wires are leaving near the edge. Big chances to fit with my GPU

l8j6ffP.jpg

I´ll need to customize this PSU. There are so many long cables!

X3tw3Bz.jpg

Anyone plans to use the Accelero Extreme III or other GPU air coolers? Is it worth the trouble?
Some good indication from Necere's own testing of the prototype: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039866874&postcount=2686

It's not really jaw dropping (win/lose on the gpu/vrms) and you have to remove the shroud (not such a big deal I guess.) I think it shows how a big heatsink alone is not enough, the airflow needs to work as a system and get the hot air out of the case.

Of the alternatives I don't think either of the Prolimatechs will fit and also there are several users on various forums complaining about a problem with fan control on nvidia 6xx/7xx cards. The DeepCool/Alpenföhn/Gamer Storm family of rebrands are pretty mediocre and uninspiring anyway, so Accelero looks like the best option out of the aftermarket graphics cards.

Is it worth experimenting further with Accelero? I think it depends on how much disposable time and money you have, but it could be fun to try.

Last edited:
I just got both of mine. Dunno what service these work for though. Any know where I can look up the tracking?

Thanks. I googled my tracking, it usually links me to the correct site based on certain unique identifiers for specific types (fedex, ups, ect)... but didn't that time.

Thanks again :)

edit: mine left on the 10/31. The type of shipping listed on the tracking is Priority Mail International, which says 6-10 business days. So hopefully they come in the next couple days :D

Last edited:
Here is the latest word on the reservoirs.The following message is up on the FrozenQ web site: FrozenQ

"Due to a shop fire that destroyed a portion of our shop including our laser cutter, we will be closed until further notice. Tentatively we will be allowed back in and can resume partial operations Wednesday 11/13.
Orders for replacement parts: We can start shipping these Wednesday
Orders for reservoirs: Depending on stock, we can ship some orders. A lot of materials and premade parts were ruined.
Any orders for laser cut items: It looks like a new laser will not arrive for 4-6 weeks. We are working with a local company to try and complete these orders.
MCase reservoir orders: We are trying to stay on track with these, and will resume machining them on Wednesday. Tentative shipping date on these is 11/20."

It sounds like Alex is still trying to get the M1 reservoirs out despite the big problems he is facing as a result of the fire.

Here is the latest word on the reservoirs.The following message is up on the FrozenQ web site: FrozenQ

"Due to a shop fire that destroyed a portion of our shop including our laser cutter, we will be closed until further notice. Tentatively we will be allowed back in and can resume partial operations Wednesday 11/13.
Orders for replacement parts: We can start shipping these Wednesday
Orders for reservoirs: Depending on stock, we can ship some orders. A lot of materials and premade parts were ruined.
Any orders for laser cut items: It looks like a new laser will not arrive for 4-6 weeks. We are working with a local company to try and complete these orders.
MCase reservoir orders: We are trying to stay on track with these, and will resume machining them on Wednesday. Tentative shipping date on these is 11/20."

It sounds like Alex is still trying to get the M1 reservoirs out despite the big problems he is facing as a result of the fire.

Sorry about the unfortunate event. Hope all is well. Thanks Alex for still trying to get the res out.

Bleh, mine shows on usps.com:

DATE & TIME
November 7, 2013 , 6:11 pm
STATUS OF ITEM
Processed Through Sort Facility

Hopefully it's not still in TW.

Thanks. I googled my tracking, it usually links me to the correct site based on certain unique identifiers for specific types (fedex, ups, ect)... but didn't that time.

Thanks again :)

edit: mine left on the 10/31. The type of shipping listed on the tracking is Priority Mail International, which says 6-10 business days. So hopefully they come in the next couple days :D

Let me field this one, as it will be useful more generally as an example of a method of determining fitment.
Thanks Necere, again giving a lot of insight :)

The NH-L12 on the Asrock Z87E-ITX will clear the top and rear panel of the M1 with heatpipes facing downward
Don't you mean the heatpipes facing upwards ? They are now mounted towards the top of the case as I can see them through the ventilation holes :)

Really? I'm in CA too but no tracking number yet. :(

No tracking number here either.

So are the US tracking #'s being emailed or are they just now showing up in the "shipping label" box at NCASES.com, like it did for the int'l tracking?

Don't you mean the heatpipes facing upwards ? They are now mounted towards the top of the case as I can see them through the ventilation holes :)

I have personally never liked the ambiguity of heat pipe directions. I prefer to name it by the direction the heat pipes terminate toward. Most people have been referring to the end that the heat pipes are most visible.

Phuncz refers to the heat pipe bends facing upwards. Maybe Necere meant the heat pipe ends facing downwards?

Hehe

Bleh, mine shows on usps.com:

DATE & TIME
November 7, 2013 , 6:11 pm
STATUS OF ITEM
Processed Through Sort Facility

Hopefully it's not still in TW.

Actually mine had same status - processed through sort facility... But on Oct 31st. Hopefully they aren't just sitting around.

Anyone who have bought this ODD:

Silverstone SOB02 Slim Blu-Ray Burner Optical Drive

Will it fit with NCASE M1?

The drive Silverstone ships is actually a Panasonic UJ-265, the same drive that AFD got us the deal from Digitstor on. The only difference really is that Silverstone includes one of their CP-10 slimline-SATA cables with the drive, so yes, it will fit the N1 no problem.

Just like how people use joysticks, pushing forward for up, or pulling back on the stick to go up.... Different ideas based on different perspectives and experiences.

The drive Silverstone ships is actually a Panasonic UJ-265, the same drive that AFD got us the deal from Digitstor on. The only difference really is that Silverstone includes one of their CP-10 slimline-SATA cables with the drive, so yes, it will fit the N1 no problem.

Thanks!

Back