NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Wow.. thanks for putting up the tracking number.
Apparently the case has been at the postal office since monday, and I haven't been notified. Both pissed and happy.

received letter today saying they have my parcel but i have to pay clearance fee and import tax totaling £31.24 :mad:

Anybody is going to change the default power button on his M1? I'm trying to find something like this, but nowhere the possibility to buy only 1 piece...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100p...tch-Ring-LED-DHL-Free-Shipping/862820050.html

Ebay!! haha have been clicking one in my hand for the last 5 mins. This exact item, waiting to be installed into my M1 when it arrives. This one I am intending for the rear panel, not the front though. Rear because when the computer is at home, it will be under the table facing the corner, and therefore I will need easier access to the power button.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390645277248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190847476652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Of course, choose a size that suits your needs. For the rear panel, I am not limited for diameter, and recommend a larger or non-illuminated one for a easier to press switch.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the answers. But do you realize guys, that all the buttons start at 16-22mm hole diameter and ncase has 13.5mm hole diameter?

[edit]

Are you able to find any 12mm BLACK illuminated button on ebay???

Last edited:
Ebay!! haha have been clicking one in my hand for the last 5 mins. This exact item, waiting to be installed into my M1 when it arrives. This one I am intending for the rear panel, not the front though. Rear because when the computer is at home, it will be under the table facing the corner, and therefore I will need easier access to the power button.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390645277248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190847476652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Of course, choose a size that suits your needs. For the rear panel, I am not limited for diameter, and recommend a larger or non-illuminated one for a easier to press switch.
An orange one would be sexy.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Apparently the mailman didn't know what to do with the package, so he just left it at the post office.
My rage however is completely soothed after opening the box. It's so small, and light!

Just saw this:

Nofan CR-80EH

Nofan_CR-80EH.png

Should fit in the M1, no? Seems perfect for my build!

Up to 80W, and the TDP of i7 4770K is 84W, but a slight fan breeze through it should fix that, I hope.

If anyone is concerned about the 220 on the ROG Impact motherboard (it does look huge) then I can confirm the Cooler Master Seidon 240m fits fine.

This is it in my current 350d case.

VincentHanna_R9_290x01.jpg

Should be picking up the Ncase M1 tonight from parcel force but am waiting on a 500w SFX PSU to be released as I too have a 290x and don't really like the idea of it bottoming out under load.

Mine's just arrived, 0354.

This is embarassing - how do I get the side panels off? I can't figure it out and would rather ask than damage it.

This is embarassing - how do I get the side panels off? I can't figure it out and would rather ask than damage it.

Haha M4rk's YT #0004 unboxing ended at this point. Would like to know too.

Got it in the end. You carefully pull them off, it's gripping little rubber nipples so be careful and it should just come away. You don't slide it at all, it just pulls away from the main chassis.

received letter today saying they have my parcel but i have to pay clearance fee and import tax totaling £31.24 :mad:

This was not unexpected, there was some discussion about it earlier on, we knew there would be some cost, and it woul have been worse had the guys priced it a lot higher than $90 on the declaration paperwork.

Haha M4rk's YT #0004 unboxing ended at this point. Would like to know too.

There was again some discussion about that, earlier before full production after Necere removed the tabs at the back to make it a smoother finish/design.
If you have a spare top panel have a look at the fixing pins on that it will show you how the fastenings work, and then you can look through the back or put your fingers through to feel where the fastenings are and to aide you in removing the panel, unfortunately it's just a case of reading back through the thread for the info

we do need a "basics" or FAQ thread by the looks of it :p

anyway .......

to Necere and wahaha360 a heartfelt thank you, my case arrived this morning, looks in perfect condition, well packed and excellent use of the secondary outer box.
Extra top panel included just as ordered.

Looks absolutely amazing, so light as well, stunning, you have produced something to be extremely proud of, that is one amazing case, and whilst i wont be falling over myself initially to rush a build, i will not be parting with this for a very very long time :p

oh, and for those wondering .....Serial Number 0041 :D

now i just need to find that document/database link again lol

that's excellent, do you know how the tax and clearance / handling fees break down?

I opened the notification on import and there stands, that it is an computer case with a value of 90$. The € price is 101,91€, i do not know how they come to this price but ok ... Then i only have to pay the taxes and no customer fees... thats why it is only 19,36€

Right, i'm utterly stumped on how to mount the HDD next to the PSU. The screw holes don't seem to like up?

The rest of the build is in, rather annoyingly. :p

Norway reporting in! Got the case yesterday and I absolutely love it! Some tiny tiny marks after production here and there, but those are mostly in places that doesn't show. And it is expected. So no worries!
The finish is outstanding though! The panels are sooo smooth and the case is light as a feather! The design and layout is as brilliant in real life as on the CADs. It's simply amazing.
I had to pay 134 NOK for the customs. That's actually a surprsingly low amount considering I live in Norway :O
I feel that a thank you isn't enough guys, but that's all I can give you (well... and my money).

I bought the parts today because I wasn't expecting to get the case until around christmas.
Can't wait to build in this little beauty! :D

...i only have to pay the taxes and no customer fees... thats why it is only 19,36€
that's excellent, perhaps the declarations by w360 & Taiwan post office were complete enough for the German authority to consider that the import clearance was already done? anyway it seems like it's just the UK postal service that doesn't respect international law about not making a profit from customs clearance

To those who are awaiting for their tracking number, follow this step:

aosxmdj.jpg

My number is just on the "shipping label" box once you scroll down. Also, I simply inputted such number into my national postal office and it tells me the case is moving around. Lets just hope next week arrives ;)

Never imagined this day would come when I joined this forum to give some input on what I wanted to see this case turn into. A big thank you to Wahaha360 and Necere for making it happen.
The case looks amazing and is extremely light. Already replaced the top panel for the no odd since it's the look I want.
This is without a doubt the last pc case I'll ever buy. Always wanted a Lian-Li case and in th end got the best of both worlds. Hope the magnetic filter are coming along nicely, specially the bottom one.

P.s. - If any of you want to buy the case on ebay, GOOD LUCK finding someone that will sell it.

To those who are awaiting for their tracking number, follow this step:

[...]

My number is just on the "shipping label" box once you scroll down. Also, I simply inputted such number into my national postal office and it tells me the case is moving around. Lets just hope next week arrives ;)

Nothing there for me, except for what i have entered myself

Never imagined this day would come when I joined this forum to give some input on what I wanted to see this case turn into. A big thank you to Wahaha360 and Necere for making it happen.
The case looks amazing and is extremely light. Already replaced the top panel for the no odd since it's the look I want.
This is without a doubt the last pc case I'll ever buy. Always wanted a Lian-Li case and in th end got the best of both worlds. Hope the magnetic filter are coming along nicely, specially the bottom one.

P.s. - If any of you want to buy the case on ebay, GOOD LUCK finding someone that will sell it.

The last case you will ever buy? Yeah, sure, wait until this NCASE guys bring some more goodies into the market, wanna bet how long your pants will last on? :D

---

On a side note, I think its a TREMENDOUS feat what happened here.

a) NCASES sold 1.000 cases. At $200 a pop, and provided we all knew there were risks involved (being a crowdfunded project and all), I'm surprised so many units got sold. And I'm sure that, with the right publicity (since many people have been popping out claiming how sad they didn't know it sooner), more would have been sold.

b) The community just slapped on the face every single vendor/manufacturer there is. After years and years of half-assed products, shitty utility and no innovation... a pair of unknown guys (with all due respect, since you weren't part of the industry) had to come and captain the boat to get the project done. If you just imagine how much money big giant companies expend on R&D (but I bet with no enthusiasm for it, no passion, no damn nothing. Heck, they don't even try the cases they sell 90% of the time, or they wouldn't sell them the way they do)... AND they don't get a damn decent result off of it. The industry NEEDS to start listening, and doing things right.

Heck, we paid A LOT OF MONEY for a project that might or might not succeed. We accepted that risk, and we supported it. If people were willing to spend $200 on a case that might not even happen... people would pay $250 to get the case on their normal retailer, simply because of commodity, warranty, service and everything else.

So, to those manufacturers... get your damn act together. Try to get people on your R&D and testing teams to ACTUALLY test the cases. I'm tired of getting products that seem to be engineered with the ass because their functionality is 0. I'd suggest you hire people who actually LIKE what they do.

And, to the NCASE guys... I hope you have made a decent profit out of it. I honestly do. Whatever, I hope you guys try to do more projects like this, as it seems that with no name prior to this project you got everything right and, if you were to do some other project... people would actually know who they were talking about, and the thing would skyrocket no problem.

Cheers guys, lets have a virtual cold one:

ice_cold_beer_1_.jpg

I unpacked mine ... HOLY SH** this is so awesome.. The Silver/black combo is untouchable :D:D ... never seen such a beauty and in real it looks smaller than on the pictures and this was the first time i began to think about my plans if they really are good^^...

BIG BIG Thanks Necere and wahaha360!!! This case is stunning!!!

*sry guys for my emotional storm ;)*

Bit of a long shot and odd request but would you consider windowed side panel(s)?

Put me down for a black one if so. :)

Guys, I'd advise AGAINST the bitspower fullcover block. The cpu area seems EXTREMELY SHITTY. If you look at the fins and how they work it looks like a gpu water block and not like a cpu water block, not at all. Cpu water blocks have the water entrance at the middle of cpu area, not on a side, and they are designed carefully.

On the contrary, this full cover blocks look just like the gpu ones: they are completely flat, and they don't care about how water enters the chip area.

I'm sure performance will be very bad compared to any decent cpu block out there.

Hmm, maybe. But when the discount codes were instated, I specifically asked if the free shipping over $75 for US offer still stood, and they said yes. My own order, as well as many others, were already shipped free using their M1 deal.

Still a good deal either way, but I don't particularly care for being made to look like a dick while trying to organize something like this.. I can do that perfectly well on my own :D
thanks for the info guys! Just checked, and the free US shipping option is back and working at checkout again.

For anyone else still needing a slim slot-load DVD or Bluray for their M1, the discount codes have been extended 1 week..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040314284&postcount=6277
I may not be taking this deal you arranged, but i still think a thank you is in order for the effort and community spirit :)

There's no learning to be done. You stick the prongs in on either side of the metal clips and they put pressure on the little metal wings, normally making it easier to pull out the wire. I've used this tool before on other PSUs. I know how it should work. Silverstone must have used Adamantium crimps because this shit ain't workin'.

But it doesn't matter; fucking vice, swearing and a little blunt force got those suckers out a few minutes ago. I'm shortening my main cable to 8 inches or so and then sleeving. :)
When removing these little things, sometimes it pays to slightly push the pin in, rather than trying to pull it out initially, as the wings can foul on the plastic, and a little pressure in the opposite direction can help them move inwards evenly and release easier.

Suggestions for a high performance and long term cooling fluids would be awesome.....noobies to h2o need this info (yeah that includes myself):D

Distilled water :)
Thank you, i fall into that category ! - the Mayhems ultra pure h2o looks interesting.

This feels like the calm before the storm - this thread is going to go nuts when cases show up in the US.
yeah, i think your right !!

Just noticed the tabs for all the other info- this is sweet! I added SSD, HDD, ODD to the right- hope no one minds. I'm curious how peoples custom cooling solutions stack up with the number of drives they also plan to cram in there...
ha, me too - thx

We should think about getting those Silverstone ST45SF-G in bulk :D
yeah, probably should have thought about that earlier, as i'm sure i've seen a silverstone rep posting around here, could probably have arranged a deal, oh well, live and learn, i'll probably go for the gold 450w model, unless a newer one is produced before i build

While waiting for my case to arrive, I made this custom carry bag.

26448j6.jpg

awesome ...
Now who makes a indiegogo/kickstarter for a M1 carrying bag :D
ha, perfect - yeah i'd be tempted by one of those !!

The custom fees for you guys in Europe are a bit harsh, yeeze!
yeah, tell us about it - you should try buying fuel for your car here in the uk, you need a freaking mortgage to drive anything with more than 4 cylinders !

It's mostly sales tax (or value added tax). We pay this on almost everything. 15%-27% depending on country. The import duty itself is quite low, like 2-3%.

I believe the 13 GBP handling fee the UK guys are quoting is not usual for other European countries.
No it's not, it's just us getting proverbially bent over, AGAIN!, but as i now own shares in said delivery company...... pay up you tight asses!! :p

I didnt have to pay anything in customs, it was shipped as a value of 90 USD which made it pass through i think :) - Thanks.
yeah that was a good idea, and a nice thing for the guys to try and work out for us, showed an understanding of the issues of postage/import duty/tax costs, and was a nice compromise to try and save us some money, for some it will have worked, for others not - luck of the draw, but.... i consider us all lucky, given the excellent product that they have delivered :)

anyone have ETA on the fronzen Q rez ?

I thought it was shipping early Nov.

thanks

Guess I will be the only one with r9-290 looking at the database
no, although someone has posted this bit of info....

Anyone waiting for the Adamantium Res, seems like fronzenQ had an accident at the shop.

"Due to a laser fire that damaged a large portion of our shop, we will be closed until Monday 11/11/13.

If you have any outstanding orders we will be working to get them shipped out as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Alex
--

Alex Quaintance"

I guess it might be delayed for a bit :(
Shame.... but i think i will probably go ahead and order one, i would like ot have it there as an option :)

Little birds told me that those DEMCIflex filters for NCASE M1 should show up on their site at friday. I mean those 120mm square filters with "cutted" corners for the side bracket.
ooooo, where .... linky, i'd like some of those :)

Nice photos Phuncz!
+1 ... especially that front power/connection panel, i think the guys did a great design job on that, nice simplistic and minimalist, yet functional, and for those talking about changing the power button... :confused: really, the chosen one is very very well suited

rBAuX8L.png

So let's get the ball rolling:

This is what I'm using in the build:

● Ncase M1 - N° 0796
● Asrock Z87E-ITX
● Intel Core i5-4670K
● Noctua NH-L12
● 2x 8GB Crucial VLP 1600MHz
● AMD Radeon R9 290X (reference)
● Samsung 830 256GB SSD
● Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W SFX PSU

93pVO2H.jpg

Although the CPU backplate isn't fully accessible (an issue for later), the mSATA slot is.

All in all I am damn impressed with the work done by Necere and Wahaha360 in designing a brilliant case and delivering it to my door with the best trans-continental shipping experience ever.
You guys deserve medals for being pinnacles in the community. Respect and love for the both of you !
Excellent info, that is something i was wondering about regarding that mSATA socket, as i might yet be picking this board over the Impact, not sure yet.

As for your final comments, couldn't agree more, their willingness to answer even the most basic questions and queries is testament to them both, and i am really glad to see the support for this has resulted in an amazingly successful campaign, although i bet a lot more work than you first thought, eh guys ?? :D

Necere - regarding the silver cases and chrome feet issue, if that buddy, is your only issue or problem then have yourself a drink and cigar, i am sure your contacts at Lian-Li could tell you stories of much worse things they've had go sideways on them during a new case release, or stuff they've overlooked during production !!

BTW - what did the guys at Lian-Li think? i bet the case generated a fair amount of interest

Guys, I'd advise AGAINST the bitspower fullcover block. The cpu area seems EXTREMELY SHITTY. If you look at the fins and how they work it looks like a gpu water block and not like a cpu water block, not at all. Cpu water blocks have the water entrance at the middle of cpu area, not on a side, and they are designed carefully.

On the contrary, this full cover blocks look just like the gpu ones: they are completely flat, and they don't care about how water enters the chip area.

I'm sure performance will be very bad compared to any decent cpu block out there.

I was using this review as a sort of proxy, until I saw something specific to the VI version:
Bit-Tech Review of P8Z77-I version

I think it is clear that it is not as efficient at cooling the CPU as a dedicated block would be... but I'm not convinced that it is "very bad".

Well, someone's ordered spares in the UK as one has just popped up on ebay...
Serial number 0237 is the one on ebay, and he wants £300 for it, the sku indicates it's black with the extra no-odd top.

I guess it's no surprise ones there, although the speed it has been advertised is disappointing, given that supporters are still waiting for delivery on some.
I also thought those that were going to sell spares might do it through here, as it's an easy sale here.

Got it in the end. You carefully pull them off, it's gripping little rubber nipples so be careful and it should just come away. You don't slide it at all, it just pulls away from the main chassis.
thakn you for that :)

Bit of a long shot and odd request but would you consider windowed side panel(s)?

Put me down for a black one if so. :)
oh crumbs, lol .... me too :D

which board was that for, in regards to what you were talking about/describing there ?

Last edited:
I was using this review as a sort of proxy, until I saw something specific to the VI version:
Bit-Tech Review of P8Z77-I version

I think it is clear that it is not as efficient at cooling the CPU as a dedicated block would be... but I'm not convinced that it is "very bad".

Wow, mate. Thanks for that review. Its actually WORSE then I thought.

11ºC difference is like comparing a Full tower Heatsink with dual 140mm against a mid-tower heasink with single 90mm fan. Its like A LOT, since the top cpu blocks are always tied by 4ºC TOPS.

11ºC means that you will probably get the same performance with a heatsink... AND probably better. Heck I bet the H220 will beat the crap out of such block.

Wow, I REALLY didn't expected such crappy performance. I mean, its terrible, TERRIBLE. Specially if you take into consideration that a full-board block makes no sense... since there is nothing to cool on a Z77 / Z87 board, and its not that we don't have any airflow around.

which board was that you were talking about ?

I was talking about the full-cover blocks made by Bitspower. They actually make them for several mITX boards, including the Impact.

Back