NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

We should think about getting those Silverstone ST45SF-G in bulk :D

Damn good to hear the UK guys are starting to receive their cases. Hacnt recieved anything from customs yet.. gues its coz im in london.. :/ hoping i get something in the next few days (just so i know things went smoothly).. :D

Also wondering if i should go for a weaker gpu for now (not 780/titan/290x).. :/ coz maxwell is planned for q1 2014 right? anyone here feeling the same way?? well i hope its at least in the first quarter. also g-sync is looking very nice..

its a hard decision both nvidia and amd are coming out with new things.. amd has mantle/TrueAudio and nvidia is bringing G-sync/Shadowplay.. anyone else torn between the 2? what you guys think is more promising?

I read Asus have exclusive on the displays until latter half of next year so that may dent the appeal for anyone who upgrades graphics cards frequently. On the other hand it's now being reported that some retail 290s are failing to live up to the performance of the review samples :(

Just glad there is a bit of price competition and new cards at least :)

Is Q1 2014 for Maxwell now optimistic in light of the 290Xs and 780 GTX Ti (and maybe 780 Black) releasing at the same time?

NCIX price matching for a few parts. Anyone able to find these cheaper? I don't have a Micro Center near me unfortunately. Not sure if they will accept the ebay price for the Impact but we shall see.
NCIX_PC.png

Anything made for cars probably smells a stronger than stuff made for PCs. The smell normally goes away after a while, but some people say it makes them feel sick.

I'd be wary of automotive-class stuff. The adhesive is probably designed for higher temperatures and may leave strong residue if you try to remove it later.

I've worked in and around my car a bit, taking off door panels and replacing speakers. I've seen this Damplifier stuff in action and it works okay. My advice to people considering buying it for their car is to turn the fucking music down so they don't have to buy anything. Also start saving money for hearing aids.

AcoustiPack has been around for a long time and they're more established in the PC industry than most other brands.

Thanks Mark! Little to late for my hearing, but a good SQ system at low/moderate levels will still rattle most cars. I agree that using car-audio dampners may be a bad idea, due to the stronger adhesive. I'll look into the AcoustiPack line.

I added a cooling solutions sheet to the google doc ...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...bmJWMjZYSXJvNWNOVzJkdkJPTWc&usp=sharing#gid=6

feel free to edit it and add your solutions ;)

That was fun, thanks!

NCIX price matching for a few parts. Anyone able to find these cheaper? I don't have a Micro Center near me unfortunately. Not sure if they will accept the ebay price for the Impact but we shall see.

What information did you get them to price match?

Lol, got a message from my mom that a mysterious box was delivered with my name on it... Could this be the Ncase already? I live in Belgium by the way. I'm staying at a dorm during the week. Excited to go home this weekend.

Am I the only one from Belgium that ordered a case by the way? Didn't see Belgium in the google docs yet.

I've collected mine and I've got to say it's been worth the wait.

Wahaha360 and Necere props to you both. A vision that more than delivered. Thank you.

Are you sure, because I'm right below you on the list ;)

Sorry didn't see you there ;p Anyway it is the ncase that arrived at my doorstep and had to pay 31 euros costums to the mailman :( Anyway glad I got it, can't wait to check it out real life.

just curious, how much customs handling fee do you pay in Belgium? not the actual duty/tax, just the extra fee that the postal service charge

If you use the Impact mobo, with a degree of flexibility could name the computer MI6... more for the cases that are just making it into the UK

I hope i get serial # 808.

How thin is the side walls 1mm , 2mm ? will it vibrate a lot without bracing ?

heyas.
NdYX2Tym.jpg

UUXEV7em.jpg

i read back many many pages but can't find it and search function not showing anything.
in order to have 2x 2.5" drives in the front section instead of the optical disc drive; they both need to be max height 7mm correct?

seperate question;
in this pic
GANd1DRm.jpg

any reason that ssd could not be a 3.5" hd?
im thinking maybe it might cause issues with a big water cooler

i wonder if the european cases came by cargo ship. then, antwerpen->amsterdam->hamburg might be a route

Just so you UK buyers know, just had a Parcel Force letter in the mail. I had to pay 33.39£ of customs. Having the case delivered on Friday. Will post my serial number when I have it. Really excited I'm getting it so soon.

Just so you UK buyers know, just had a Parcel Force letter in the mail. I had to pay 33.39£ of customs. Having the case delivered on Friday. Will post my serial number when I have it. Really excited I'm getting it so soon.

Thanks for the heads up dude, but some fellow UK'ers have already posted on here. I received the customs letter today and mine should be delivered tomorrow

My graphics card arrived today as well. I now have everything. Assembling and testing my build this weekend is gonna be glorious:D

i read back many many pages but can't find it and search function not showing anything.
in order to have 2x 2.5" drives in the front section instead of the optical disc drive; they both need to be max height 7mm correct?
Correct.

Those two pictures are from back during development when we were examining the feasibility of different mounting schemes for the front drives. They don't actually mount that way, and those pics really shouldn't be in the first post.

The front drive mounting in the production case is like in this pic, but shifted to the center:

2fuZrjKl.jpg

You're able to mount two drives there using the 2.5" stacking bracket:

4z42cjfl.jpg

seperate question;
in this pic
GANd1DRm.jpg

any reason that ssd could not be a 3.5" hd?
Yes, because only 2.5" drives fit there. 3.5" drives are considerably larger than 2.5" drives. It could be a 2.5" HDD, though.

so, i plan to use the h220 and a gpu block, basically the same components as in the water cooling test setup. i will mount a 2.5" on the inside and anotherin place of the optical drive.

my question is, is there enough room to install 2 120mm fans at the case bottom with all the psu cables?
perhaps the scythe slim slip streams? i want the h220 blowing air to the outside of the case and ensure incoming airflow from the bottom

so, i plan to use the h220 and a gpu block, basically the same components as in the water cooling test setup. i will mount a 2.5" on the inside and anotherin place of the optical drive.

my question is, is there enough room to install 2 120mm fans at the case bottom with all the psu cables?
Sure. They don't have to be slim fans, either.

Just wanted to chime in that I just got an email from Digistor saying my bluray drive had shipped. I went to check my order on their website and the shipping was changed to free USPS Priority Mail.

Also, the wait for my M1 is killing me!

I recieved a letter today from Parcelforce Worldwide.

Saying i have a parcel that has been sent from overseas, and before they will release it to me i need to pay the import duties of £33.39, for information, these break down as follows.

Import VAT £19.89
Clearance Fee (zero rated for VAT purposes) £13.50

I'm in the UK btw, I am not expecting any other parcels from abroad so it must be my case :)
It gives me a tracking number, but i have nothing to compare that to, and country of origin is Taiwan.

Just a point of note too, cahrges for me have been raised by border force on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs ...... if i don't pay the duty in 20 days from the date of the letter, they return the parcel to the sender, so it is important that people pay these or the case might get returned.

While waiting for my case to arrive, I made this custom carry bag. This is a well-padded soft shell that will protect my M1 from weather and scratches, but not large falling rocks. Large exterior pockets for peripherals and whatnots. End result is actually a little smaller than my current laptop bag and much lighter.
New bag: 13.5 oz
Old bag: 120 oz (7.5 lbs!)

2wee33q.jpg
6942uc.jpg

26448j6.jpg
36hb7.jpg

Come to me, my M1. You have a home ready.

I also received a letter today from Parcelforce (I'm from the UK) had to pay ~£32 and I should get it this friday, can't wait to replace this oversized prodigy :).

Thanks Necere and W360 for making this amazing case :D.

AFD, were we supposed to contact them to refund my 8 bucks or are they on it already?

While waiting for my case to arrive, I made this custom carry bag. This is a well-padded soft shell that will protect my M1 from weather and scratches, but not large falling rocks. Large exterior pockets for peripherals and whatnots. End result is actually a little smaller than my current laptop bag and much lighter.

2wee33q.jpg

awesome ...
Now who makes a indiegogo/kickstarter for a M1 carrying bag :D

I didn't do anything and Digistor automatically fixed my order.

Same here. I had to check the website though - their earlier email to me showed shipping still applied. all good.

Thanks AFD for straightening that out

2wee33q.jpg
6942uc.jpg

26448j6.jpg
36hb7.jpg

Very nice! Where and when did you learn to sew bags? How thick is the cloth and where did you get the handle?

AFD, were we supposed to contact them to refund my 8 bucks or are they on it already?

Hey Doc! It is my understanding that they are already on it, and correcting everything.

Just wanted to chime in that I just got an email from Digistor saying my bluray drive had shipped. I went to check my order on their website and the shipping was changed to free USPS Priority Mail.

I didn't do anything and Digistor automatically fixed my order.

Same here. I had to check the website though - their earlier email to me showed shipping still applied. all good.

Thanks AFD for straightening that out

Very welcome, and thanks for the info guys! Just checked, and the free US shipping option is back and working at checkout again.

For anyone else still needing a slim slot-load DVD or Bluray for their M1, the discount codes have been extended 1 week..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040314284&postcount=6277

That's very nice, good job! Still think you should stitch the NCASE logo somewhere on the bag, you know, so somebody doesn't try to stuff a Shuttle in it or something, lol.

Necere, do you happen to have a photo or template of the NCASE logo to post, in case she wants to sew something like that on her bag?? Might also be handy for anyone wanting to do a vinyl applique on the case.

So, I just want to make sure, for those of us in the US, we should not have to pay any additional customs fees, correct? All of that has already been taken care of, right?

Hey Doc! It is my understanding that they are already on it, and correcting everything.

Very welcome, and thanks for the info guys! Just checked, and the free US shipping option is back and working at checkout again.

For anyone else still needing a slim slot-load DVD or Bluray for their M1, the discount codes have been extended 1 week..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040314284&postcount=6277

That's cool, I shot them a email anyways just to be sure. Thanks again for your help AFD.
Edit: Just got my refund confirmation email. $7.51 back in my pocket, hell yeah !

Last edited:
Back