NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Sure thing! I actually found another article about NGFF stating that although the 1st generation will be limited to 500MB/s, it should have a lower latency compared to standard SATA SSD. So I'm thinking both current 2.5" SSD and 1st-gen NGFF should be comparable. Was gonna post a link to the article last night, but [H] was down..

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5529/adata-m-2-ssds-performance-preview-and-the-ngff-story/index.html

As for the Asus 670 Mini.. if the card is too high and doesn't fit, I really don't see any way of making it fit, short of cutting out a slot in the side of the M1, which would look nasty. Unless I can come across some better referenced dimensions, or Necere has any feedback on this card's fitment in the M1, I'm gonna pass.

And for the PSU.. personally I would be happiest with a 600W short ATX & short cable set, but since I'm planning on using the 3.5" HDD rack, I'm going with the 450W SFX instead. Though it would be sweet if the planets aligned and Tony @Silverstone announced an SFX with a little more headroom in the next few months =)

Thanks for the info AFD! I was a little disappointed about the ngff ssd's being limited to 500mb. I have the same plan with the SS 450w and second your request for a higher wattage sfx psu :D. Great job with the 450w Gold and fixing it's noise issue in the rev.2.0's Tony and Silverstone! I would chalk up the 670mini, there really is no point of going back a step when we have the 700 series. I do share your concerns with power usage because I plan on putting a 4770k and a gtx 780 reference in my M1. Hopefully no problems arise but i did a power usage estimate with a overclock to 4.5 and came up to 526w! Without the OC it was 498w. This is a little concerning but I have heard of people using a titan/4770k succsufully so maybe the power usage estimator has a buffer. I sure hope I don't get this put together to find I need a Atx powersupply and a shorter pcb graphics card to fit it.
Note: I had the CPU usage at 100% on the estimate.

Sure thing! I actually found another article about NGFF stating that although the 1st generation will be limited to 500MB/s, it should have a lower latency compared to standard SATA SSD. So I'm thinking both current 2.5" SSD and 1st-gen NGFF should be comparable. Was gonna post a link to the article last night, but [H] was down..

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5529/adata-m-2-ssds-performance-preview-and-the-ngff-story/index.html

As for the Asus 670 Mini.. if the card is too high and doesn't fit, I really don't see any way of making it fit, short of cutting out a slot in the side of the M1, which would look nasty. Unless I can come across some better referenced dimensions, or Necere has any feedback on this card's fitment in the M1, I'm gonna pass.

And for the PSU.. personally I would be happiest with a 600W short ATX & short cable set, but since I'm planning on using the 3.5" HDD rack, I'm going with the 450W SFX instead. Though it would be sweet if the planets aligned and Tony @Silverstone announced an SFX with a little more headroom in the next few months =)

Swear I typed NGFF SSD should enough for my use (don't know what happened :p), and like I said I m still using SATA2 SSD and a VR

oh man the 670 mini is a part that I have already purchase hopefully Necere can help me out here hah

What are you guys planning on using for a power supply? Silverstone ST45SF-G seems like the only decent SFX, but there are complaints of fan noise.

I plan on using SILVERSTONE ST55F-G 550W ATX with the PP05 cables which are shorter. So far haven't heard about any complaints about the fan noise with the gold rates PSU, only the bronze rated though. But I guess people just get bad power supplies?

Just ordered mine :) I've never done a mini-anything build, so this will be a fun project.

There is not really a version 2.0. The first one was non-moduler, the ST45SF-G is modular. They are both current products. The complaints are for ST45SF-G, which you are calling Version 2.0.

Oh I see, thanks for the head's up. It wasn't on there website under sfx so I figured they phased it out.

There is not really a version 2.0. The first one was non-moduler, the ST45SF-G is modular. They are both current products. The complaints are for ST45SF-G, which you are calling Version 2.0.

Current production is ST45SF (non-modular) & ST45SF-G v2.0 (modular). The complaints were for the ST45SF-G v1.0..

ST45SF-G-Fan-speed-curve-comparison-with-V1-&-V2.jpg

EDIT: There's more info in the last several pages of this thread about the revision. Just look for Tony's posts..

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1707073

Last edited:
Anyone got a v2.0 and tried?
And how to tell if it is a v2.0?

There should be a sticker on the PSU stating v1.0, v1.1 or 2.0..

17-256-084-Z03

Don't think there's any other way to tell what you're getting, but it seems at least Amazon and Newegg are now shipping the newer version (according to reports in the [H] thread I posted above).

Last edited:
Have to get back to you. A lot of emails to get through.

No worries. Bought one for myself from IGG anyway if that doesn't turn out. It's just more convenient to get a bulk purchase going for enthusiasts here due to cheaper shipping costs. Some guy over here did a bulk purchase on behalf of some local enthusiasts for the Compact Splash and they saved a good deal on shipping for that.

Remember the NCASE M1 Mini-ITX PC case? A small form factor case that was designed by, and with the input of, our very own forum members? Well, their Indiegogo campaign just hit the $100k mark and they only have a few cases left (out of 600), so head on over and get yourself one before they are all gone. :cool:

Rock on with your bad self, Steve!
:cool:

As people have already said, (bronze non-modular) ST45SF has had a V2.0 release some time ago which fixed some coil whine under certain conditions. The modular ST45SF-G also has had two new releases: V1.1 which fixed coil whine when loading the 5 volt line to the motherboard, and a V2.0 which reduced fan speed profile - around 25% reduction at idle.

Anyone got a v2.0 and tried?
And how to tell if it is a v2.0?

V2.0 has been out for several months now. Most large e-tailers will have this one. Avoid smaller boutique e-shops because they have a higher chance of old stock for this product.

Is Lian Li opposed to adding the M1 case design to their product line after the Indiegogo campaign is over or are there legal reasons preventing them from doing so? If they were to send review samples to some of the big enthusiast web sites it would surely be one of the most popular small form factor cases out there. What am I missing?

Is Lian Li opposed to adding the M1 case design to their product line after the Indiegogo campaign is over or are there legal reasons preventing them from doing so? If they were to send review samples to some of the big enthusiast web sites it would surely be one of the most popular small form factor cases out there. What am I missing?

Why would Necere & Wahaha360 give the M1 to Lian Li so that Lian Li can make money off their hardwork?

Yeah, if I were working at Lian-Li I'd have at least tried to strike some business deal with Necere/W360 for the rights to mass produce the M1. This case is a winner.

Well, you might have one more day to get the money or just wait for the next best thing to come around. It's not like this is the only good case that will ever exist, if you don't have the money to spare.

Dimensions: 240 * 160 * 328mm, 12.6L (250 * 160 * 338mm overall)

What does the "overall" mean? Is it inner / outer dimensions?
I want to plan my next desk purchase around the case, so I want the outer dimensions.

Those are outer as far as I know. I know its 160mm wide and 250mm tall with the feet. As far as the 328 vs 338 it may be a typo or the extra 10mm could be the extension on the side panels at the back.

I have ordered one in black, but I'm having a bit of buyers remorse and am thinking tnat I may prefer the silver version. Can I just donate an extra dollar to get one with silver panels? If so would I need to do this before they sell out or before campaign ends. And somewhat tangential to that will the campaign end early if there are too many orders? i.e. if it gets to say 1000 orders will the campaign be closed?

I think funding has to run its course, but they don't have to add more spots than they want to deal with. So they could stop taking orders at 600, 734, 892, etc.

Those are outer as far as I know. I know its 160mm wide and 250mm tall with the feet. As far as the 328 vs 338 it may be a typo or the extra 10mm could be the extension on the side panels at the back.
The 338mm length measurement is to the end of the PCI tab, but otherwise you're correct. It's standard practice for manufacturers to give the dimensions excluding the feet and minor projections on the rear, so we did it that way to make volume comparisons accurate.

I have ordered one in black, but I'm having a bit of buyers remorse and am thinking tnat I may prefer the silver version. Can I just donate an extra dollar to get one with silver panels?
Yeah, add a dollar and send an email to w360 (address is in the IGG updates) with your IGG email (if different) and specify you want silver. It's best to make any changes before the campaign ends, as we'll be submitting the order to LL after that.

Will we end it early? It's possible if we hit the cap and don't add any more or anything.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll add an extra dollar and fire a quick email over to w360. The reason I asked about the campaign duration is that I'd like one in each colour but don't have the funds for another case for 2 weeks. Hey ho, as long as I get my silver one I'm (very) happy.

I'm thinking about picking up a couple of these cases, but wanted to clear up some last minute doubts in my mind.

If there turns out to be some problem with the case, how will that be handled? Is there some kind of warranty? Will replacement parts be available? Does the case ship with mounting screws for hard drives or other miscellaneous fasteners?

Why would Necere & Wahaha360 give the M1 to Lian Li so that Lian Li can make money off their hardwork?

I didn't think this was about the money. Am I wrong? I was under the impression that this campaign was only started due to there being nothing else like it on the market yet.

I didn't think this was about the money. Am I wrong? I was under the impression that this campaign was only started due to there being nothing else like it on the market yet.

That's true but still its not right or legal to steal someone's design.

I bought the case like 2 days ago, is there going to be some type of warranty. What if we need spare parts or if I get a defective case? Am I just going to have to cross my fingers and just hope for the best?

I was wondering the same thing, mainly considering the front I/O. I know I'm going to keep this case for years but what if my USB3 ports or power button breaks.

one would think these would be Lian Li off the shelf parts

I'm thinking about picking up a couple of these cases, but wanted to clear up some last minute doubts in my mind.

If there turns out to be some problem with the case, how will that be handled? Is there some kind of warranty? Will replacement parts be available? Does the case ship with mounting screws for hard drives or other miscellaneous fasteners?

We are ordering 10% extra inventory to offer exchange against defective products.

Hi wahaha360, if I made a $206 donation plus a $40 donation after that for shipping, do I still need to get a refund and donate again, or does it count?

I ordered black but silver looks really good and I'm having second thoughts. All of my cases over the years have been black except my Antec P160. My current case, monitor, receiver, speakers, keyboard; all black. I feel like I should add some contrast to break up the array of dark rectangles around my desk. :(

Come on people, you've been in this topic for months discussing about millimeters and centigrades. Now suddenly you can't make up your mind about silver or black ?!

Man... I m gonna cry if the 670mini doesn't fit :(
But it should because this is the case of all mini itx right? :p

Also now so many people switching to silver
I m kinda want to switch too
Shoulda listen to whoever told me to get two :D

One more question
I know the bottom of the case has one hdd "slot" on one of the fan slot
How about the other one? Can it mount a hdd into the other fan slot?

Back