NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Most good ITX cases are expensive and the Prodigy is one of the few that is cheap AND can support a 240mm radiator. A Cooler Master N200 also seems like a bargain as a temp case and as a future low/mid-end build for anything universal.

I'd go with the N200.

Its a good bit cheaper and it supports mATX which will increase your potential resell market.

It also happens to be about 2" narrower and 1" shorter than the Prodigy thought it is about 3.25" longer.

My preliminary plan is to use the Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm radiator. In the space below the GPU I would place a Laing DDC-1T Plus pump and a Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev2 reservoir. The reservoir would be oriented sideways during operation in order to fit below the GPU.

This seems like it will be very tight space wise, I wonder if a setup like this would see any notable decrease in temps versus a H220. I would love to see a full loop in the Ncase before production.

Wow I was just brought into this thread from another site. This is my idea of a perfect case. I cannot wait to order this thing!

IMO M1 dimensions is too small to design something extraordinary. Of course there are always different options, but after Necere feedback I've read through many articles about Swiftech H220 and came to a decision to also try it with both CPU and GPU cooling. I would probably add couple fans to the bottom just to boost airflow inside the case but I doubt it will influence temps much.

Here is my preliminary build specs. About $2k give or take (adjusted for Moscow).
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1hyu5

I will probably do something like this as well. Although swifttec makes a pump/cpu block combo. Use that with a radiator with a fill port (haven't found one yet) and you have pretty much a custom made closed loop. I wonder if something like this would have better results than the H220.

I have an apogee drive 2 and it works great. If I recall correctly its CPU block is considered to be pretty good. The reason I got mine was it opened the door for endless possibilities down the road for custom loops while not really being bigger than a closed loop.

Its more expensive than most closed loops but I think its worth it, especially if you are building around this case because down the road you could add a res somewhere, more radiators, or a GPU block.

The reference 780 uses the reference Titan cooler and its pretty damn good in regards to noise and cooling.

The reference 680 cooler is used on most blower style 770s. Its not as good as the titan cooler but its no where near as bad as the leafblowers on any AMD card, which most people think of when they think of blower style coolers.

If I were to buy a 780 or Titan I'd go with the cheapest reference card I could buy.

Just to correct, the 680 cooler is NOT used on 770's, the EVGA and other models still use the Titan cooler with a different shroud (the black ones). The heatsink and fan remain unchanged from the titan model, only the aluminum/magnesium part is gone to cut costs. I currently have one and it is extremely quiet even when pushed to 65% constant fan speed for benching, one of the benefits of a heatsink designed for a GPU die nearly twice the size and way more heat output.

I have an apogee drive 2 and it works great. If I recall correctly its CPU block is considered to be pretty good. The reason I got mine was it opened the door for endless possibilities down the road for custom loops while not really being bigger than a closed loop.

Its more expensive than most closed loops but I think its worth it, especially if you are building around this case because down the road you could add a res somewhere, more radiators, or a GPU block.

Thanks for the insight, yeah that block/pump seems to perform well. I am hoping to achieve a decent overclock in this case so I will need all the cooling I can get. Hopefully with a system like this and possibly a de-lidded 4770k (or something similar) I will be able to get a decent overclock. Add in some good static pressure fans (rad) and some high quality bottom fans (I like enermax fans cause of the lighting and performance) this little system will not only look good (hoping the light from the bottom fans emits from the ventilation holes) but will perform very well for its given size. I am so excited for this !

Just to correct, the 680 cooler is NOT used on 770's, the EVGA and other models still use the Titan cooler with a different shroud (the black ones). The heatsink and fan remain unchanged from the titan model, only the aluminum/magnesium part is gone to cut costs. I currently have one and it is extremely quiet even when pushed to 65% constant fan speed for benching, one of the benefits of a heatsink designed for a GPU die nearly twice the size and way more heat output.

Not all 770s with blowers use the Titan cooler. The EVGA, there was atleast one(that is apparently are no longer offered) that didn't.

Not all 770s with blowers use the Titan cooler. The EVGA, there was atleast one(that is apparently are no longer offered) that didn't.

Have a source? Every single reference 770 model out there is on the modified Titan PCB which is not compatible with a stock 680 cooler. Some AIB's used the same aftermarket coolers (WF3, etc) because they fit multiple cards. When they were released people mistakenly thought they were nearly the same card, but they are not. The only thing shared is the GK104 GPU. The GTX 760 however uses the same reference cooler found on the 670/660 cards.

Any idea when the production campaign will start? My components are coming in, and I have 30 days to test them before I start clipping UPCs for rebate purposes.. can't do an RMA on a bad component without a UPC (usually)

Need to know if I should get a temporary case, or if I can wait for the M1 to be released

Any idea when the production campaign will start? My components are coming in, and I have 30 days to test them before I start clipping UPCs for rebate purposes.. can't do an RMA on a bad component without a UPC (usually)

Need to know if I should get a temporary case, or if I can wait for the M1 to be released

Even if the production campaign would start today, it would run for at least a month. wahaha360 most proabably won't place the order at Lian-Li before the end of the campaign. I wouldn't expect any shipped cases before october.
I'd say get a cheap temp case ;)

If it started tomorrow it would be at least September before they were shipped out to us. Key being shipped; I.E not delivered.

It won't be starting tomorrow.

Edit: I give up. It takes me too damn long to reply from my phone. :(

I went ahead and bought the Prodigy, it was on sale at my local Microcenter for $59.99. Still cheaper than Newegg after tax.

As ugly as it is, it should hold me over until I can get my hands on the NCase M1 :)

Hi folks. Long time lurker on this thread. Its time to start thinking about building though! Say I wanted to use a Noctua NH-C14 with the 140mm fan, would I be better off with a full size ATX PSU since that could accommodate the lower fan too? (I believe the orientation of the SFX psu causes problems there)

Also, am I being a total clown in thinking I could run a Palit Jetstream GTX 780 in this case? I know its not a blower style cooler, but the price/performance ratio is incredible for this card. Failing that, EVGA have a watercooled card with much the same specs (and power consumption I'd imagine) - would water cooling (cpu & gpu) handle it? (I'm a total wc noob)

Thanks, and best of luck with the project.

Last edited:
Hi folks. Long time lurker on this thread. Its time to start thinking about building though! Say I wanted to use a Noctua NH-C14 with the 140mm fan, would I be better off with a full size ATX PSU since that could accommodate the lower fan too? (I believe the orientation of the SFX psu causes problems there)

Also, am I being a total clown in thinking I could run a Palit Jetstream GTX 780 in this case? I know its not a blower style cooler, but the price/performance ratio is incredible for this card. Failing that, EVGA have a watercooled card with much the same specs (and power consumption I'd imagine) - would water cooling (cpu & gpu) handle it? (I'm a total wc noob)

Thanks, and best of luck with the project.

I don't know about the other stuff, but I wouldn't want to run that card on any of the current SFX PSU's. (450W)
You are probably better off with the reference card (or WC, I'm not sure about the power draw on that one). If the cooling system is ineffective, the temperatures will rise and you will get worse performance anyway.

As said numerous times in this topic, the Silverstone 450W SFX is able to power an Intel Core i7-4770K + GTX Titan without problems. The GTX 780 uses less power, so that won't be a problem. The only limitation is overclocking: it's best to stay close to default Vcores.

The other thing said numerous times is that the GTX 780 or Titan blower-style coolers are very good and the best choice for this case (and other very small cases) because they expel the heat out of the case, not in the case.

So just buy a reference-design GTX 780.

As said numerous times in this topic, the Silverstone 450W SFX is able to power an Intel Core i7-4770K + GTX Titan without problems. The GTX 780 uses less power, so that won't be a problem. The only limitation is overclocking: it's best to stay close to default Vcores.

The other thing said numerous times is that the GTX 780 or Titan blower-style coolers are very good and the best choice for this case (and other very small cases) because they expel the heat out of the case, not in the case.

Could you link me to actual tests or sources showing this? 780 + a 4770k I'm sure could probably run side be side on a 450 but with minimal over locking but definately not a titan. Tests show builds exerting anywhere from 470~500, even if the 450 could somehow exert more power theres definately no way it would be ok for the psu

Could you link me to actual tests or sources showing this? 780 + a 4770k I'm sure could probably run side be side on a 450 but with minimal over locking but definately not a titan. Tests show builds exerting anywhere from 470~500, even if the 450 could somehow exert more power theres definately no way it would be ok for the psu

1) this test are often with heavy oc
2) this test are often with big WC solutions
3) this test often measure power draw from the wall. 500Watt from the plug @ 90% efficency = 450 Watt actual component power draw > which the SFX 450W PSU is capable of

Most reviews show power consumptions of 350-400 watt with an oced cpu and a titan under full load from the wall! (315-360 "netto" consumption)

Yet the air test performed by Necere was not with a blower style gpu right? I think the psu issue is moot as a full size supply could squeeze in there if needed. I'm thinking you're right though, this would probably be too much to handle for a wc setup even.

Yet the air test performed by Necere was not with a blower style gpu right? I think the psu issue is moot as a full size supply could squeeze in there if needed. I'm thinking you're right though, this would probably be too much to handle for a wc setup even.

You can't use a full size PSU and a long video card. You either get a full size PSU with a graphics card under 8 inches long, or you use a SFX PSU and then you can have a longer graphics card.

The "Palit GeForce GTX 780 Super JetStream" pjriot linked draws considerably more than the Titan though.
But yes, a reference 780 is no problem.

Ah, didn't know they upped the volt on that one, but that's also what I meant with staying close to default Vcores.

so what's the max length for a psu if you want to use a long gpu?
From OP:
Specifications:
  • 160 x 328 x 240mm, 12.59L (250mm including the feet)
    * panels extend out 5-10mm from the back for easy removal - max: 338mm
    * compared to SilverStone SG05 at 10.78L, 16.79% bigger
    * logo will be a sticker included in the box - apply it anywhere you prefer
  • 105mm CPU cooler height
  • 3 x expansion slots:
    - 1 & 2 support 12.5" GPU cards
    - 3 supports 11" cards
  • 2 x 3.5" HDD mounts (up to 3 x 3.5")
  • 2 x 2.5" HDD mounts (up to 4 x 2.5")
  • 4 x 120mm fan mounts
  • 1 x 80/92mm fan mount
  • Single or dual 120mm radiator capable
  • SFX power supply
  • ATX power supply (up to 140mm, non-modular)
  • Slim optical disk drive
  • Package Dimensions Estimate: 228.6x304.8x406.4mm / 9x12x16"
  • Package Weight Estimate: 2.72kg / 6lbs

so what's the max length for a psu if you want to use a long gpu?

Your pretty much limited to a SFX PSU (9.5 x 7 x 3.5 inches), I think most are opting for this Silverstone model given its form factor and "high" output for its size.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VQ2Y4K
Keep in mind to look for the version 2 model because there have been many complaints of fan noise with the earlier versions.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ATX PSU's are possible but it has been debated many times here that they don't make much sense most of the time. The 450W SFX is plenty for most hardware that will fit and won't overheat.

The ATX PSU's that do fit are about twice the volume and have longer cables, which makes other component installs more difficult or even impossible (like 8+ inch GPU's). Necere wanted to make the case 2cm taller (~1 inch) to accomodate more PSU's but in the end decided not to because it made no real sense because of the aformentioned problems.

The only reason I'm using an ATX PSU is because 1) there are no passive SFX PSU's, and 2) I was planning on using a short GPU anyhow.

But for most people, an SFX PSU makes a lot more sense. It gives you a lot more room for cooling and cabling.

This patent could actually be valid, seeing as it was submitted in 2006. (Except perhaps if their Is prior art due to the G5 watercooling system). We should start a prior art campaign and the get the eff to apply for the patents to be re-examined. As the second patent seems to be quite broad.

The new Antec Kuehler line at Computex to get around the patent, clearances go all to hell.

antec-kuhler-h2o-650,Y-5-387437-3.jpg

wow. looks terrible. kudos to them for trying though. fucking patent wars...

Are the pump and the fan motor the same thing?

What I don't understand is why they didn't put it on the other side of the fan (in the middle of the radiator), it's not like the portion of the rad directly adjacent to the fan hub serves a thermal transfer purpose... That would keep clearances in check.

You could also get rid of the second set of hoses while you were at it.

Will this effect the Corsair AiO coolers?

I think Corsair already uses the Astek pump/block.

FWIW, they did make the same offer to Swiftech (eg. use the Astek pump/block and then Swiftech tubes/radiator/fans). But for obvious reasons, Swiftech declined the offer.

I'm glad I bought my H220 a couple months ago.

Back