NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Question to NCASE:

Is there any chance to add one or a few vents on this part of the case? Just where it says "long gpu access" as that part seems of no use to me. Sure, they'd better be thin in order for the psu to fit... but it shouldn't have any other problems, right? Or am I missing something?

vypdXqs.jpg

You see the arrogance in asking them to change what is basically a finished product because you want an openning filled with vents in your personal build, don't you? Not only would it increase the cost and production time but it may also be a feature others need.

You see the arrogance in asking them to change what is basically a finished product because you want an openning filled with vents in your personal build, don't you? Not only would it increase the cost and production time but it may also be a feature others need.
Woah tiger. He's just asking a question. And member feedback and questions are what's driving this project.

And it's not a finished product. No approval drawings or purchase agreements have been signed. No NC files or assembly drawings generated. In regards to cutting metal and make it take physical form, it's not too early in the game for design changes. Trust me. In my line of work, we get customer change requests (ECNs) while we're in the middle of making their machines. It can be a pain in the ass, but it is possible to accommodate changes throughout the process.

That said, it's very unlikely it would increase the cost or production time. There is material there to begin with. It's just a matter of if you cut some or all of it out.

But every little detail of the case can't be altered to suit everybody's requests.

Question to NCASE:Is there any chance to add one or a few vents on this part of the case? Just where it says "long gpu access" as that part seems of no use to me. Sure, they'd better be thin in order for the psu to fit... but it shouldn't have any other problems, right? Or am I missing something?

I'm going to have to ask why? By venting that area of the case, you're destroying the clean, flat look of the front panel. Which may be the #1 selling point of this case.

Yeah dude, take it easy. Product isn't anywhere near finished. A prototype probably hasn't even been made yet (I don't know if NCASE already took the Indiegogo money to request a prototype build). Constructive criticism has brought this project to where it is today. Not off-putting remarks such as the one you made.

You're right, I was out of line. I apologize prava. I've had a crappy day at work and I just dumped it on you.

The whole point of that opening is for full length GPU's that take up the whole inside diameter of the case. You need to be able to insert the GPU and mount it into the case. It's an important function to those of us with huge GPU's.

Maybe the part that is cutout can be included and can be mounted back in place for those that wish? But my guess is a portion of that space is used by the front I/O section... so it's something that would require more cuts, ect.

Is the max CPU cooler height exactly 105mm or will there be a bit more space? Is the space between the bracket for holding the side fans and the side panel itself enough to fit dust filter?
Edit: I guess the CPU cooler height of 105mm doesn't include the fan, it's actually 105mm +25mm =130mm from the motherboard to the side panel?

Last edited:
Correct. From the renderings, you're going to need a relatively short video card to use an ATX PSU longer than 140mm. The maximum space is somewhere around 170mm (as in 170mm until your touching the GPU). So unless you have amazing cable routing skills, 140-150mm is going to be the longest ATX PSU you can fit.

Actually, if it's 170mm, that gives me an idea. I have a 160mm PSU that is rather disposable to me. I could mod it so that I'd have the cables coming out another side... I'd be quite simple to drill a hole in a different side and resolder the cabling. A bit of work, but I'd already have a PSU.

Necere/Wahaha360, what was Lian Li's mfg. engineering dept's final word on the perforated top? Are they adding a second pressing process post punch? Or are they laser cutting that profile? Just curious.

When they did the test, they told us there was no issue with warping.

Question to NCASE:

Is there any chance to add one or a few vents on this part of the case? Just where it says "long gpu access" as that part seems of no use to me. Sure, they'd better be thin in order for the psu to fit... but it shouldn't have any other problems, right? Or am I missing something?

Not quite sure what you're asking here. Vents instead of the long GPU access opening? Or vents in the front panel of the case? Also not sure about the comment about the PSU fitting... that opening has really nothing to do with the PSU.

Is the max CPU cooler height exactly 105mm or will there be a bit more space? Is the space between the bracket for holding the side fans and the side panel itself enough to fit dust filter?
Edit: I guess the CPU cooler height of 105mm doesn't include the fan, it's actually 105mm +25mm =130mm from the motherboard to the side panel?

There is exactly 140mm from the surface of the motherboard to the fan bracket.

Actually, if it's 170mm, that gives me an idea. I have a 160mm PSU that is rather disposable to me. I could mod it so that I'd have the cables coming out another side... I'd be quite simple to drill a hole in a different side and resolder the cabling. A bit of work, but I'd already have a PSU.

Unfortunately it's only 150mm until it touches the GPU. That's why it can't be modular either; the cable bundle on a non-modular PSU exits just to the side of the GPU. I explained it (with pics) in this post.

When they did the test, they told us there was no issue with warping.

Not quite sure what you're asking here. Vents instead of the long GPU access opening? Or vents in the front panel of the case? Also not sure about the comment about the PSU fitting... that opening has really nothing to do with the PSU.

Unfortunately it's only 150mm until it touches the GPU. That's why it can't be modular either; the cable bundle on a non-modular PSU exits just to the side of the GPU. I explained it (with pics) in this post.

Thank you for all the information! I knew there's a reason why I'm investing in this project. Looks like I'm going SFX PSU then. Will a modular SFX PSU work?

Is there a projected delivery date, yet? Late summer perhaps?

That might fit some smaller tower coolers with the Asus/EVGA board, like Cooler Master Hyper TX3 or Xigmatek Loki. Maybe you should state that it's exactly 140mm with the fan taken off. It opens up some more possibilities for flexibility.

I have not read all 70 pages, but is there any reason why a handle was not reapproached? I think a sexy handle would be a huge plus for LAN use. There aren't enough SFF cases with handles. I like the NZXT Vulcan, but I don't think the handle can be used if you mount a 240mm rad up top. Not to mention it's only USB 2.0. I e-mailed asking about using the Phantom front panel upgrade, but they never replied.

I have not read all 70 pages, but is there any reason why a handle was not reapproached? I think a sexy handle would be a huge plus for LAN use. There aren't enough SFF cases with handles. I like the NZXT Vulcan, but I don't think the handle can be used if you mount a 240mm rad up top. Not to mention it's only USB 2.0. I e-mailed asking about using the Phantom front panel upgrade, but they never replied.

I think there is no handle because the majority of PC users don't buy cases with handles.

I know I wouldn't want it if it had a handle. I don't lan, I just like SFF PCs. And if I was carrying it around, I'd rather have my hands under the case, than be dependent on a handle attached to a flimsy piece of aluminum from preventing my expensive hardware from crashing into the pavement.

Shouldn't be too hard to fab some handles since the top of the case is already perforated. Just get some decently sized washers to spread the load over as much area as possible.

The top panel is removable and uses the same post-and-latch system as the rest of the panels, so attaching a handle to it would be a rather bad idea. There's not really a simple way to have both a handle and toolless removable top panel.

The top panel is removable and uses the same post-and-latch system as the rest of the panels, so attaching a handle to it would be a rather bad idea. There's not really a simple way to have both a handle and toolless removable top panel.

Ah, looks like it's going to be a bit harder than I previously said.

In which case, if I needed to transport thing, I would probably get a small duffel bag, like a padded gym bag to or something.

wondering, for the ATX power supply is it going to be 140mm x 140mm? you just list 140mm, but not sure if that is 140mm length and/or width. probably is, just want to make sure :)

btw i thought it was humorous to see even back 10 yrs ago you were trying to get that bottom i/o bracket. like looking at the process of evolution http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v19/necere/shuttle_alternate_face2_01.jpg
even has the same trapezoid shape and everything :p

wondering, for the ATX power supply is it going to be 140mm x 140mm? you just list 140mm, but not sure if that is 140mm length and/or width. probably is, just want to make sure :)

The ATX power supply standard is 86mm x 150mm, with no set length. The length of available ATX PSUs ranges from 125mm to 230mm+, with 160-180mm probably being the most common. The M1 supports lengths up to 140mm for non-modular power supplies, or longer/modular if using a short card (<200mm).

btw i thought it was humorous to see even back 10 yrs ago you were trying to get that bottom i/o bracket. like looking at the process of evolution
even has the same trapezoid shape and everything :p

Yeah... I guess my style hasn't evolved much :p

Looks great. A quick question though: would I run into any issues swapping cases from my mini ITX setup in my sig to this, other than the CPU cooler?

is it possible for the case to be released in white / pearlescent white?

We're only planning to do one color for now (black), to keep things simple. What's nice is since all of the exterior panels are removable (top, left/right, front), it's pretty straightforward if you wanted to paint them.

Looks great. A quick question though: would I run into any issues swapping cases from my mini ITX setup in my sig to this, other than the CPU cooler?

The PSU won't fit; non-modular, <=140mm long ATX PSUs only (or use SFX, which can be modular). The Windforce GTX670 should be okay, although if you've got the 3.5" HDD underneath it (which is the only 3.5" mount if you use an ATX PSU), two of the fans on the card will be mostly blocked by the drive. I'd also tend to discourage using cards that exhaust inside the case - as with most small cases, rear-exhaust GPUs are better for system cooling.

You're right, I was out of line. I apologize prava. I've had a crappy day at work and I just dumped it on you.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Should I were so sensitive about internet comments I'd thrown myself into the cold waters :D

Hello from NZXT. I just want to say that this is a phenomenal looking chassis, and I wish you all the best and luck with this guy. The price is extremely cheap considering the materials and design. This is definitely one of the best, if not THE best mITX chassis I've seen! (y)

Hello from NZXT. I just want to say that this is a phenomenal looking chassis, and I wish you all the best and luck with this guy. The price is extremely cheap considering the materials and design. This is definitely one of the best, if not THE best mITX chassis I've seen! (y)
Alright, industry recognition! :)

Alright, industry recognition! :)
Lian Li is making the case and I believe Silverstone has also participated in this thread, I think they've already got industry recognition ;)

But it is good to see other companies taking note!

Hopefully any imitators that follow distribution will give props where due.

The project funding seems to be well underway. I think that the project initiators have a green light from the market to go ahead get production of the prototypes done.

Lian Li is making the case and I believe Silverstone has also participated in this thread, I think they've already got industry recognition ;)

But it is good to see other companies taking note!

Hopefully any imitators that follow distribution will give props where due.
I knew that, lol. I should have said "more industry recognition" I suppose. ;)

Thanks, [email protected]! You raised the campaign total to: $6,666!

OH GOD, WHAT HAVE I DONE?
It's all cool unless it changed into Roman numerals.

I've not read every page, but was wondering if there was any reason why a handle wasn't revisited. Seems to me there aren't enough SFF cases with sexy handles for LANs.
I'd like the Vulcan for mATX, but I don't think you can mount a 240mm rad up top and retain use of the handle. It's also lacking front-panel USB3. I'd e-mailed a few weeks ago asking about using the Phantom's upgrade kit among other things but never received a reply.:(

I've not read every page, but was wondering if there was any reason why a handle wasn't revisited. Seems to me there aren't enough SFF cases with sexy handles for LANs.
I'd like the Vulcan for mATX, but I don't think you can mount a 240mm rad up top and retain use of the handle. It's also lacking front-panel USB3. I'd e-mailed a few weeks ago asking about using the Phantom's upgrade kit among other things but never received a reply.:(
I'd say if you want a handle on this case you're going to have to add one yourself. You'll probably find the vast majority of people here would prefer not to have a handle that is an eye sore, ruining and otherwise ultraclean case. And with something such as a handle that very few will use very rarely, it just doesn't have enough mass appeal to warrant inclusion on this particular design. My opinion.

actually i think just one page back the handle question was answered. the top panel snaps onto the chassis so it would not be a good place to put a handle. if you want a handle the best bet is to use the dfi lanparty strap M4rk linked above. and yes, it has 2 USB3.0 ports on the front panel. that's mentioned just about everywhere.

Donated, now I hope everything goes great with prototype and can beat your delivery date goal, can't wait to try my hand at mITX.

Time to work on some mITX products, guys, as I think NZXT has nothing in that bracket yet ;)

If anything, the M1 will be the "awakening" of the form factor, which will be extremely positive for all of us :D :D :D

Time to work on some mITX products, guys, as I think NZXT has nothing in that bracket yet ;)

If anything, the M1 will be the "awakening" of the form factor, which will be extremely positive for all of us :D :D :D

No idea, but, I'm an enthusiast, watercooler, modder, and gamer myself. There's a lot of products out there that I like. This one, just encompasses great ideas,a great look, great features. It's a badass case. What can I say?

I'm not a designer, I'm the community support guy. But I know a damn good idea when I see it.

No idea, but, I'm an enthusiast, watercooler, modder, and gamer myself. There's a lot of products out there that I like. This one, just encompasses great ideas,a great look, great features. It's a badass case. What can I say?

I'm not a designer, I'm the community support guy. But I know a damn good idea when I see it.
A little off topic, but how did you manage to track down a community management job in the enthusiast hardware industry (if you don't mind me asking)?

Back