NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Maybe I'm just being pedantic - but he is saying "should" and "tricky" in that thar quote. I did see it, and I just thought I'd point out that having the best watercooling option available almost fit would be a shame.

Maybe I'm just being pedantic - but he is saying "should" and "tricky" in that thar quote.

I suppose he did, but it's also not his responsibility to make sure every product fits. Personally, I will use a H100 with a GPU bracket. Will it fit? I sure hope so, but no guarantees. AIO watercoolers, radiators, and blocks don't have a standard size, so while it may fit on paper, it's much harder to say so in real life.

Yeah, the only way to be 100% sure is to test fit the actual physical parts, which I obviously haven't done. But I can tell you that based on the published drawing of the H220 it shouldn't have a problem fitting:

So the H220 rad is 285mm, and we have 290mm flange-to-flange. Internally, there's 304mm. There might be a conflict fitting a 2.5" drive at the front internal mount with the H220, but otherwise there seems to be enough room.

As for the block, I'm making the assumption that it's no taller than the Apogee Drive 2 (shouldn't be - it lacks the AD2's fins), and that fits okay with a ~30mm rad like the H220's.

Excellent Necere, I was hoping that the case would fit the Swiftech H220. Finally a good case with the most amazing flexibility and suitable for a 240mm radiator liquid cooling. I'm so eagerly waiting towards the case, foamy at the mouth. FOAMY !!

what would be interesting is a second radiator under the gpu, because for water cooling card and cpu a 240er radiator would be to small.

what would be interesting is a second radiator under the gpu, because for water cooling card and cpu a 240er radiator would be to small.

I don't know about that. Remember this thing? Tom's tested it (with a second GPU-only model for SLI) and it worked well enough. Unless you're after extra-low temps or noise, a dual rad should handle pretty much anything you could fit in the case (or that will run on a 450W SFX).

Someone asked previously if a rad would fit under the GPU, and it is possible, with some limitations - e.g., GPU must be watercooled and can't be too long, slim rad/fans only.

wont fit am atx psu with the radiator right?

Correct, using an ATX PSU will prevent the use of a dual radiator on the side.

Just registered to thank you guys for the hard work but I was wondering, is there anyway we can make the name of the case sticker base? I would love to have the super clean / minimalist look. Either way I cannot wait to pre-order one!

Hmm I don't think a dual 120mm rad will cool a high end gpu and cpu if you want to OC...is there room to put a 120mm rad on the bottom, I think a dual 120mm rad wouldn't fit on the bottom depending on the port configuration of the GPU.

i thought about cutting two holes in the button and put the fan half of its depth through the case... depends on the case feets... than a second 240er should fit.

Hmm I don't think a dual 120mm rad will cool a high end gpu and cpu if you want to OC...is there room to put a 120mm rad on the bottom, I think a dual 120mm rad wouldn't fit on the bottom depending on the port configuration of the GPU.

When I get mine I plan on putting a slim radiator on the bottom with 15mm fans on it, 12mm fans if I have too.

The only compromise I can see is that you have to water cool the gpu (whats the point of so much radiator if not?), and running 2 radiators leaves no room for an internal 3.5in drive.

A magicool slim radiator is 30mm thick, combined with a 15mm fan, it should fit if you have a fairly normal gpu and waterblock.

I will also be putting the same radiator up top above the motherboard.

A copper 240 rad will cool any current top end mildly overclocked CPU+GPU just fine. At least better than the stock air coolers will.

but an only 30mm thick radiator, too? Perhaps a 50 oder 60mm could handle this but there is space for a slim one and thats why i think that wouldn't be enough or it is enough but then you have a turbine next to you^^

but an only 30mm thick radiator, too? Perhaps a 50 oder 60mm could handle this but there is space for a slim one and thats why i think that wouldn't be enough or it is enough but then you have a turbine next to you^^

I currentley have a 30mm 240 rad and a 30mm 120 rad in a single loop, small res, and an apogee drive 2 pump cooling my 3770k and GTX560ti 448, both oc'd pretty good, without issues. Its silent under normal use and when gaming the fans ramp up but still much quieter than what I perceive as loud. My zotac ID61 htpc across the room is louder and far more annoying...

So basically, no matter what you use for cpu and gpu (Let me know if you try and use one of those Pentium 4's that were like nuclear reactors) and how much you overclock, your limit will be the psu not the amount of radiator you can fit.

oh that sounds good ... i only had an 480 radiator in my old TJ07 for Board, CPU and GPU. Thats why i thought it would not be enough^^... Thanks for your quick reply!!

A copper 240 rad will cool any current top end mildly overclocked CPU+GPU just fine. At least better than the stock air coolers will.

This.

I feel that when people look at watercooling, they're trying to get as close to ambient as possible, in which case having 480s are acceptable. Thing is, if you're just trying to beat air coolers with MUCH lower sound, a 240 is perfectly fine.

Heck, I was running my s939AMD +4400 with a 7800GTX, both highly OC'd with the equivalent of a 240 rad. Top end chips have always had the same-ish TDP and at around 150w/120mm a 240rad can easily handle a highly OC'd 680, or CPU+GPU with mild OCs, as mentioned. If both are stock, you would even benefit from some super quiet computing while gaming.

oh that sounds good ... i only had an 480 radiator in my old TJ07 for Board, CPU and GPU. Thats why i thought it would not be enough^^... Thanks for your quick reply!!

one thing to remember is that with air cooling, people often consider ~80-90 degrees as acceptable for cpu and gpu, which it is. and that is obviously with fans at full speed if its getting that hot.

when water cooling, people often limit their fans to half speed or less, and expect temps in the 40s and 50s. this is why people end up using multiple 240 radiators when really a single 120 would suffice. make it a thick 120 with a medium speed fan (protip: make a fan profile that keeps it silent at idle and bearable at load) and you will be fine to cool a cpu and single gpu.

People have this idea that thicker rads are automatically better than thinner, which isn't necessarily the case. Fin density, fin louvers, integrated shroud depth, and material all make a difference. Check out martin's 360 radiator shootout from last year. The thinnest rad in the test, the Alphacool ST30 at 30mm, comes out on top at lower RPM, while the Swiftech MCR320-XP (34mm) is at the top at high RPM. You don't need a 60mm+ rad for good performance.

@Necere
what´s the maximum possible length for the bottom radiator ?

Can't say for sure until the I/O module is finalized (which will have to wait until production due to the tooling cost), but should be around 290mm +/- 5mm.

thx, enough space for a "Magicool 240 Slim Radiator" or a "Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm" :)

people end up using multiple 240 radiators when really a single 120 would suffice. make it a thick 120 with a medium speed fan

My AX120 has a core of only 21mm and is able to keep my i7 under 50C loaded on its own, and under 60C if the GPU is also loaded. Using Noiseblockers at ~1000-1300 rpm and pump at 30%, my loop is still quieter than my PSU.

would it be possible to get a picture directly from the top? So i can imagine how much space is there between the cooler (Noctua NH-C14?) and the fan? Perhaps the Phanteeks PH-TC14S could fit.

Dimensions without the top-fan: 145 x 113 x 140 mm (B x H x T)

Necere already gave us the spec and wahaha added it to the first post: 105mm CPU cooler height

I assume that you could run without the fan cage installed and get a little extra height, 25mm-30mm more? so the Phanteks would be really close, if it fits at all.

would it be possible to get a picture directly from the top? So i can imagine how much space is there between the cooler (Noctua NH-C14?) and the fan? Perhaps the Phanteeks PH-TC14S could fit.

Dimensions without the top-fan: 145 x 113 x 140 mm (B x H x T)

The 113mm height shouldn't be a problem, as the Noctua pictured is 130mm tall. The issue is going to be at the top of the case and the side of the heatsink. And this is all dependent on the CPU location on the motherboard. The PH-TC14CS seems to have pretty much the same dimensions as the NH-C14, maybe even slightly smaller. But as I said, it all depends on the CPU placement.

Necere already gave us the spec and wahaha added it to the first post: 105mm CPU cooler height

I assume that you could run without the fan cage installed and get a little extra height, 25mm-30mm more? so the Phanteks would be really close, if it fits at all.

I think it's more than 105. In the renderings, Necere used a NH-C14 and specifically said that it could be possible as long as the motherboard's CPU placement is perfect.

NH-C14, 105mm without fan? http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=37&lng=en&set=1

I assume the gap to the mounted fans is not large...

True, 105mm without the fan, but the renderings show a fan mounted in the "fan bracket" to the side of the case. In any case, the PH-TC14CS should be able to fit, just without the top fan. In which case, the NH-C14 is a better choice, as you can use it in "low-profile" mode, with a fan on the bottom of the fins, as well as with a fan in the M1 "fan bracket", essentially having it work in dual-fan mode.

the phanteks is only 113mm when you use only one fan and not the top one... thats why i asked if the cooler could fit.

edit: why should be the noctua the better choice? You also can use the phanteks in low profile? As i can see the phanteks is a little bit bigger in his cooling structure

In the renderings, Necere used a NH-C14 and specifically said that it could be possible as long as the motherboard's CPU placement is perfect.

That's a pretty big if. I cheated a little in the renders - the NH-C14 won't actually fit on the ASUS board in that orientation. The one way it's likely to fit is if it hangs out over the front of the board, but you have to sacrifice the 3.5" HDD cage to make that work.

Basically, If the cooler hangs over any edge of the motherboard at all, there's likely to be a conflict with something. I modeled the NH-C12 the other day and it's a much easier fit on the ASUS board.

The Phanteks has a shorter fin array, but it's also a bit taller... which means, the heatsink itself will probably fit, but the stock fans probably won't. I think to avoid any conflicts, you'd need to use a 120mm lower fan and a slim 120mm upper fan. Losing the fan cage doesn't net you much extra - only 3mm. Maximum available height without the fan cage is ~135mm.

oh yes you are right ... if i choose the setup like in the renders the noctua would hang over the top of the board and perhaps out of the case regading some pictures

the guy who calculated the second picture mentioned that the cooler hangs over around 16mm

Last edited:
My AX120 has a core of only 21mm and is able to keep my i7 under 50C loaded on its own, and under 60C if the GPU is also loaded. Using Noiseblockers at ~1000-1300 rpm and pump at 30%, my loop is still quieter than my PSU.

All it needs to do is keep the CPU at around 60, the GPU temps won't matter at all as they'll be vastly under what any air solution can offer. What you care about most in that situation is not having jet engine blower fans running 100%, that's pretty much the main reason to WC a gpu.

All it needs to do is keep the CPU at around 60, the GPU temps won't matter at all as they'll be vastly under what any air solution can offer. What you care about most in that situation is not having jet engine blower fans running 100%, that's pretty much the main reason to WC a gpu.

Exactly.

240 radiator is plenty for anything you can put in this case, and might not give you epic low temps, but you'll be able to run your PC quietly.

We like to lease / borrow a GTX 690 for prototype testing instead of buying for the following reasons:
- cannot return GPUs for 85% refund buying online (don't want store credit)
- GTX 780 is coming

If anyone is willing to lease/borrow their GTX 690 for prototype testing, please PM me.

*Method of borrowing / leasing - eBay sales transaction with product return within 30 days.

Just seen the update 1st post.. Great idea to do the latest update via the 1st post.

So where do i send my money for my order?

Also can 2 single clossed loop watercooling units be fitted? IE H60/H80/620 idea is cpu can be WC'd and then via Dwood bracket the GPU can be cooled

I am sorry but i have no hardware, yet. I am waiting with ordering till your case is finished :D

Also can 2 single clossed loop watercooling units be fitted? IE H60/H80/620 idea is cpu can be WC'd and then via Dwood bracket the GPU can be cooled

Should be possible, but the tubing might be troublesome. The thicker H80 rad is pushing it; definitely won't fit with both fans installed.

Wouldnt you run into clearence issues if you wanted to put the pump on the gpu and radiator right under it?

If you can barely fit a slim radiator and slim fans, I cant see it all fitting, plus it'd probably be same cost or cheaper to build a cheap custom single loop...

Wouldnt you run into clearence issues if you wanted to put the pump on the gpu and radiator right under it?

If you can barely fit a slim radiator and slim fans, I cant see it all fitting, plus it'd probably be same cost or cheaper to build a cheap custom single loop...

I assumed he was asking if two 120mm radiators could be installed side-by-side on the fan cage, which is the configuration I addressed.

You're right that a block on the card with radiator right underneath isn't likely to fit, though depending how far back the block sits, a configuration like I posted a while back might allow it to work.

Back