NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

idea for ODD housing:

I don't know if this was finally settled, but the thought crossed my mind that instead of the slot, an alternative would be to create a slim external housing in the same footprint shape as the case. The external housing should have it's own feet so that it can be used as a plinth either underneath or on top of the case at the users discretion (or not at all.)

It would be unusual, but I think it has the potential to look really good. The other advantage is that it could house some extra 2.5" storage next to the slim optical. Downside of course is that this would be another add on to the cost (Lian Li's slim 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosures were €16+tax, approx. $20-$25.)

Sandblasted + Anodized is sexy. Reminds me of the initial run of the Qmicra. Biggest mistake I made was selling my case. :(

I stll have my Qmicra V1. Its on loan to a buddy atm. I never did get one of the V2 models. Wish I did since its a better design allowing for 120mm fans instead of the 80mm the V1 has. A shame Dave isn't making them anymore. However this ncase design is much smaller and packs a load of capabilities into it. Which is what I'm wanting for my new lanbox.

I have an idea, not sure how it will be received.

What if you moved the spot on the bottom of the case (for 3rd slot/ HD's/fans) to the top part of the case.

This would probably allow for full modular ATX supplies, and/or fans underneath the top's vent to pull air out. IMO, it doesn't take too much away, but gives a huge option in using full modular ATX supplies - which is something most everyone already owns, and probably desires more than a noisy SFX supply.

I have an idea, not sure how it will be received.

What if you moved the spot on the bottom of the case (for 3rd slot/ HD's/fans) to the top part of the case.

This would probably allow for full modular ATX supplies, and/or fans underneath the top's vent to pull air out. IMO, it doesn't take too much away, but gives a huge option in using full modular ATX supplies - which is something most everyone already owns, and probably desires more than a noisy SFX supply.

You lose the bottom 3.5" HDD mounting though, which means if you want to run a dual rad there's no place to put a 3.5" HDD. You can't put it at the top since it will block the top vents. What's more, unless the front I/O is moved, you'll be limited to 11" cards. And of course, the third slot is out. I would argue that it takes away more than it adds.

Anyway, to make a major change like that at this point is unlikely to happen. We've been working on ironing out the details with the engineers for a while now, and to throw a big new change into the mix is a bad idea.

You lose the bottom 3.5" HDD mounting though, which means if you want to run a dual rad there's no place to put a 3.5" HDD. You can't put it at the top since it will block the top vents. What's more, unless the front I/O is moved, you'll be limited to 11" cards. And of course, the third slot is out. I would argue that it takes away more than it adds.

Anyway, to make a major change like that at this point is unlikely to happen. We've been working on ironing out the details with the engineers for a while now, and to throw a big new change into the mix is a bad idea.

It was just a thought. It would be a lot better if there were actual quality SFX supplies though. I read mixed reviews of the silverstone 450W modular SFX.

It was just a thought. It would be a lot better if there were actual quality SFX supplies though. I read mixed reviews of the silverstone 450W modular SFX.

actually theyre both great PSUs for VERY reasonable prices. the fact that seasonic or whoever you like hasnt come out with their own yet is a testament to how difficult it would be to beat silverstone's products for a competitive price. sure they dont compete with PSUs 2 or 3 times as big and often more expensive, but in my opinion its incredible what silverstone have packed in these miniature power supplies.

I see no place for the optical drive yet the specs state "Slim optical disk drive"

I like the SilverStone SG05, but don't like the build quality and that it's bundled with a non-modular PSU.

Lian Li is willing to produce a small quantity of aluminum cases INSPIRED by the SG05.

I want one, but need to order several hundred = Kickstarter and commitment from others.

Here is the design so far, by Necere

• 160 x 327 x 240mm, 12.56L (250mm including the feet)
  • 105mm CPU cooler height
  • 3 x expansion slots:
    - 1 & 2 support 12.5" GPU cards
    - 3 supports 11" cards
  • 2 x 3.5" HDD mounts (up to 3 x 3.5")
  • 2 x 2.5" HDD mounts (up to 3 x 2.5")
  • 4 x 120mm fan mounts
  • 1 x 80/92mm fan mount
  • Single or dual 120mm radiator capable
  • SFX power supply
  • ATX power supply (up to 140mm, non-modular)
  • Slim optical disk drive

Compared to SG05 at 10.78L, 16.44% bigger

UPDATE 2013-01-01

I see no place for the optical drive yet the specs state "Slim optical disk drive"

ODD support was the most recent addition to the case and the pics in the OP haven't been updated yet. Here you go:

52FY0ZC.jpg

qNdQcQn.jpg

No front air intake?
Defy convention! It's got an intake on every other face (with the exception of the side panel behind the motherboard).

I did a case with a side exhaust and no front intake and it worked out really well.
IMAG0468-1.jpg

Last edited:
Cool looking case then. Not a fan of the Prodigy style side-mounted buttons and the visible screws and rivets on the front and sides don't look very clean.

Edit:
That's not the same case this thread is for, is it? Sorry, got confused.

Cool looking case then. Not a fan of the Prodigy style side-mounted buttons and the visible screws and rivets on the front and sides don't look very clean.

Edit:
That's not the same case this thread is for, is it? Sorry, got confused.
Yeah, different case. That was one of my earlier cases and I've since learned a few things.
The case of this thread has a much more refined approach. Excellent use of space and a nice clean front panel.

once its fully functional ill make a decision. but damn, id upgrade from my sg07 for this,so far I havent found a case that really improves on much for gaming, but that might do the trick with large air hungry video cards

oh my god.... I will absolutely buy this in a heartbeat when it comes out..
how do I support Lian Li in order for them to produce them?

oh my god.... I will absolutely buy this in a heartbeat when it comes out..
how do I support Lian Li in order for them to produce them?

Lian Li...isn't the one making this...

They are but a contender in fabricating it, not the designers. Wait for the Kickstarter.

(Another reason for a title change...)

Alright, let's be clear:

• I designed this case, with input from the posters in this thread. I have nothing to do with Lian Li or any other manufacturer. Wahaha360 is handling the business and logistics aspects of the project.

• Lian Li is probably going to be the company that will be manufacturing it. They did not design it.

• We will be setting up a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo (hopefully soon) to raise funds to get a prototype made (by Lian Li), which we will use for hands-on testing of fitment, thermals, noise, finish, etc.

• If everything goes according to plan and the phase 1 fundraiser is successful and we've received and tested the prototype, we will then set up a second crowdfunding campaign to do a limited production run of 300-500 units.

And yes, the thread title needs changing :p

3 slots is perfect for mini itx - don't need 4 slots.

Definitely would love to help crowdfund this when it's ready!

First I've seen this .... the case design looks great! I'll definitely be participating once able.

All that this thread's title needs is "contract manufactured" inserted before "by Lian Li" and it would be a lot more clear and less lame.

this is amazing. great work necere. i would be happy to throw a few bucks at getting a prototype made.

Nice rendering - really shows off the true potential of the case :)

btw - isn't that the tecnofront nano? isn't it discontinued?

when can we get it?

Ideal Timeline, NO Promises - who knows what can go wrong.

Feb - IGG campaign for prototype - assuming Necere doesn't want to make more changes
Mar - Prototype review + revision
Apr - KS campaign

I will be funding this case for sure. I would like to see some integrated dust filters though.

btw - isn't that the tecnofront nano? isn't it discontinued?

Yeah apparently so. Shame too - it's the perfect size. There are other reservoirs that could be mounted on the back, but they stick out quite a bit more.

I will be funding this case for sure. I would like to see some integrated dust filters though.

Plan is to include dust filters, though they'll be the kind that mounts up to the fan.

We considered magnetic Demciflex filters, but for cost and logistics reasons we opted to leave them out. It's possible we'll arrange a separate order if there's interest.

We considered magnetic Demciflex filters, but for cost and logistics reasons we opted to leave them out. It's possible we'll arrange a separate order if there's interest.

Perhaps a higher level funding reward for the KS campaign?

Back