NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

All are good enough options so far for me :D

I do like M1 - my favorite toy right now is my Benelli M1, and it signals it will be the first of many kick ass designs.

NCASE did envoke, for me, the idea of 'in case' and 'encase', which I don't mind. Maybe you could help differentiate the idea with something like 'N.CASE' or 'N-CASE'...

this thread should be marked NSFW because after reading I have a raging [H]ardon

hard to come up with a good name

how about "encasus"

6zZeQ.jpg

My first thought is no, but I was considering Transformer a little while ago (because the case is "more than meets the eye"). They have similar meanings, so what do I know.....

Edited

I agree with M4rk's post below: you can't make everyone happy with the name you choose. But Necere and W360 should be happy with it, so I don't think they should quit looking for a name until they are.

Last edited:
M1: HIVE

For no reason other than I think it sounds cool. :D

I've been following this thread pretty much since inception and these final renders are absolutely beautiful. Kudos to everyone who submitted feedback and to those heading the project. I wish you the best of successes. This is the 3rd case project that I know of to come out of [H] since I've been here and hopefully you'll be the most successful.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to committee-based graphic design! This is what every marketing and public relations department worldwide goes through at some point. :D

Normally begins with good intentions, involves focus groups halfway through, and ends with one strong-willed person making a call that half of the folks involved don't agree with.

I've dealt with design-by-committee before and it's not pretty. W360 and Necere, you guys should choose something that makes you happy and that can reasonably be expected to make your backers not embarrassed. That's all you've gotta do.

Great example: "Muderbox" is a silly sounding name but it stuck for those guys and no one is trying to make them change it.

http://www.murderbox.com/

Haters are always gonna hate, you can't find a name that everyone will like.

Can the logo be a sticker or something? I'd rather not have a logo on the case if possible.

Yeah, I doubt any of these other suggestions are going to get any traction. So we'll probably just stay with what we have. W360 already suggested a sticker; I thought it would be kind of cheap, but I can understand people not wanting some mediocre, meaningless logo on the case. We might just do that.

Asus is like anus but it doesn't stop them selling millions of electronic products.

People who see vulgarity are going to find it whatever the word.

> Implying the name of the case should be anything but [H]SFF
Come on, guys. Nice big red [H] and "SFF" beneath it. Tells you where it's from and what it is. Don't need any silly 2kewl4u latin.

nooo! no ugly logo! jesus, u guys fucking mad?? put a sword then, and a skull, dont forget lights and why not a acrylic cover since youre into... c'mon, no!

but if you really must: M1. M1 is cool, but JUST M1, please! i intend to buy one of these, if you put an ugly logo, its gone, fuck it, i hate logos.

I think you should just stick to the original plan (NCASE M1). You don't want to pick such an obtrusive name for something so elegant and simple. Also, if you two are from the U.S., then why not choose something that sounds like it was born and made in the U.S. By choosing a latin word, or something else like Nazca, the case sounds foreign-made. Now, there is nothing wrong with being foreign made, but in this case (no pun intended), it's a U.S. product. Why not present it as so... Just my humble opinion.

PS: Most people don't like big 'ol symbols/words/branding on the side of their products. It's a distraction. Anyone remember the Fatality designed computer product line with all the branding? No thanks.

:)

People will start calling the case by the name "Ncase" by the way, even though it's the company name. Because of the word "case" in it.
"Hey, have you seen the new M1?" >> "Wha?"
"Hey, have you seen the new Ncase?" >> "Oh, that new mini-ITX case."

Also, I agree with simple and unobtrusive names instead of stuff like "Inwin Dragonslayer" or "Murderbox".

nooo! no ugly logo! jesus, u guys fucking mad?? put a sword then, and a skull, dont forget lights and why not a acrylic cover since youre into... c'mon, no!

but if you really must: M1. M1 is cool, but JUST M1, please! i intend to buy one of these, if you put an ugly logo, its gone, fuck it, i hate logos.

+1

Big logo's, long words, ect = not good. I personally don't like them. I like minimalistic. If you are going to do anything, keep it small, or preferably a symbol.

It's like we are all playing an old school RPG here, and everyone is trying to think of a unique name...lol

> Implying the name of the case should be anything but [H]SFF
Come on, guys. Nice big red [H] and "SFF" beneath it. Tells you where it's from and what it is. Don't need any silly 2kewl4u latin.

This, or the original, is my opinion. Or maybe [H]case :)

oh, better yet, put it UNDER the case! :D

This, or back panel.

For the record, Ncase M1 is fine.

Agree with both posts above. As I've said before, please don't brand anything on the side or front of the case. It's going to be a limited edition product anyway, why would you ruin the clean look with branding?

This, or the original, is my opinion. Or maybe [H]case :)

Out of all the names thrown out, it's funny that the original, NCASE, works the best. It's still lacking, but it's miles ahead of something in latin.

And you guys mentioned a sticker. If you're going to go that route, just include a sticker in the box and don't put it on the case.

Of all the ideas thrown out so far I have to agree that the original nCase M1 is the best. And why does the name have to have a history or a back ground? Its a computer case not a living entity. I think you are trying to over think this a little bit too much.

I would let the clean case, I solved it in the form of stickers, then each will be whether it will be there or not.

why does the name have to have a history or a back ground? Its a computer case not a living entity. I think you are trying to over think this a little bit too much.

Thank you. Necere needs to hear it from more people.

I would let the clean case, I solved it in the form of stickers, then each will be whether it will be there or not.

LOL, you need a better translator my friend, are you using Google Translate?

Yes, very bad English and google translator sometimes fails to clearly.
Anyway, I advocate only stickers.

He is saying go with no logo, and then users can put on a sticker if you want.

However, I am of the opinion that a small simple professional looking logo being etched in would look the best.

However, I am of the opinion that a small simple professional looking logo being etched in would look the best.

I didn't want a logo and still prefer not to have it because:
1. The manufacturer may have to outsource the process = production uncertainties & delay
2. Extra cost (ex: $1 increase in production leads to > $1 increase in the final product)

There are plenty of companies trying to get attention with their cool names or radical designs, but I don't care much for that. What's wrong with a simple and honest design. Why does everything needs to evoke emotions or scream "look at me".

Last edited:
I think there are several pages revolves around the futility, the priority is to do it get into production or to each SFF enthusiasts home.

So since nobody liked any of the suggestions I tossed out, and nobody liked anyone else's suggestions, we're sticking with the current name. At least people are just underwhelmed by it, rather than actively put off.

Was this on /g/? :(

Yeah.

Back