NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
Dont forget if AMD or Nvidia say 750w psu for example the reality is always lower like a good 600w unit will do the job.

Yeah I think the FE would work great in the M1 because you'll basically have push-pull on the pass-thru portion of the heatsink with the bottom case fan feeding air and the GPU fan exhausting it straight up and out of the case.

I'm really curious to see if the Accelero 3 will fit on the EVGA 3080 XC3 cards with the mid-plate attached. The mounting hole spacing appears to be the same as the 1080 Ti, so the mounting should work, but will the cooler work with the mid-pate and clear all capacitors...

Also would like to see if the Accelero 3 will fit on the reference PCB.

Update, EVGA cards don't have mid-plates this generation, I don't know why. It's a bummer, it was the best option to use with the Accelero.

Edit: If anyone cares, it doesn't seem like the Accelero will be viable for this generation because of how close the VRAM chips are to the die. That's why the EVGA cards have no mid-plate. And GDDR6X gets toasty so not cooling the chips is not really an option.

Last edited:

1911Shootist

[H]ard|Gawd
Looks like I'm coming back to the M1 family! Sold my v1 a year ago and tried to do the laptop thing, but it just isn't what I need, so I'm going to order a v6.1.

What are the shipping times like to the US currently? The store is offering 1-8 week $30 shipping or a 1-4week $45 option...

Psycore

n00b
Is there a cheaper alternative to the EK-DDC 3.2 for the Iceman reservoir? There's a few Barrow pumps on Ali but i can't seem to figure out all the different model numbers

///AMG

2[H]4U
I didn't know the ncase m1 had a v6 until recently and I thought I could upgrade my V5 front panel to the new one to get USB-C but that doesn't seem to be possible. Now I am torn about buying another Ncase m1 or going with something else for my new ryzen 5000 build. Thinking about the Cooler Master NR200P so I can fit the longer RTX 3080 cards.

teo

n00b
I just built in the NR200 for kicks, and it’s a neat case. Vs the M1, its primary strengths for me are the price point and glass panel. Obviously there’s some thermal benefit with the top fans, and greater compatibility for CPU coolers/big gpu, but the perceived size increase is also rather large. The M1 felt portable, albeit borderline—the NR200 is decidedly a stationary enclosure by comparison. The NR200 feels reasonably sturdy (except the top panel is a little plasticky/flimsy) while the M1 feels premium. There are some space inefficiencies (like no 140mm bottom fan mounts despite plenty of room) which probably came from reused tooling.

Both cases have their merits. While there’s marginally more restriction for the M1, I’d say it provides a more satisfying experience overall.

///AMG

2[H]4U
Well for me the nr200p can do basically any of the 3080 where as the M1 is basically limited to the FE and eggs XC3s. I don’t really move my computer unless I need to blow out the dust. I like sff because of the small footprint on my desk. Also I don’t know if I really want a second one because the first one will just be sitting there. I want an M1 that’s a bit longer to support the new rtx cards. The NR200p is probably the only readily available case that’s close to that.

jeremyshaw

[H]F Junkie
^^ Speaking of putting on desks, I moved to a sit/stand desk, and I don't put my computer on my desk anymore. SFF isn't as critical on the floor, though I still want to move my main PC back into the M1 and my server out of the M1.

Since SFF isn't as important, my appetite for price has also shrunk. Makes the NR200p somewhat interesting to me, too. Still wish it was a tiny bit smaller.

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Well for me the nr200p can do basically any of the 3080 where as the M1 is basically limited to the FE and eggs XC3s. I don’t really move my computer unless I need to blow out the dust. I like sff because of the small footprint on my desk. Also I don’t know if I really want a second one because the first one will just be sitting there. I want an M1 that’s a bit longer to support the new rtx cards. The NR200p is probably the only readily available case that’s close to that.

The ASUS fits in the M1

1911Shootist

[H]ard|Gawd
Looks like I'm coming back to the M1 family! Sold my v1 a year ago and tried to do the laptop thing, but it just isn't what I need, so I'm going to order a v6.1.

What are the shipping times like to the US currently? The store is offering 1-8 week $30 shipping or a 1-4week $45 option...
My Case arrived!

Timeline for others reference:
Ordered: 9/23 with $45 shipping option (1-4 weeks)
Expected ship: 9/28-10/2
Actual ship: 9/28
Arrival: 10/7 (9 days later)

raz-0

Supreme [H]ardness
FYI, you can't fit anything but a really stubby cared with an sfx-l PSU at least not with the silverstone SX800-lti and how the power connectors protrude. Sigh. SO do I go hunting down a new psu that doesn't exist or a new case that will take a month to arrive?

gsilver

Gawd
I think that the 3080 is going to seal me giving up on the NCase M1. It was nice, but I'm just feeling too constrained vs new video cards. It was pushing it before.

Aiming for compact mATX now, currently waiting on a Jonsbo UMX3 case to arrive (compact, fits most 3080s, still in silver color scheme) + Ryzen 5 to finish the build.

DaHans

n00b
Finally I got the EVGA RTX3090 and it fits very good in the ncase.
I just wanted to make sure I have thre right fan setup.
Currently: 2 Fans underneath the Card, one Side intake and 90mm out in the back.

CPU is 3700x. Temps are at the moment 75°C for CPU and 80°C for the RTX.

RTX3090_Air.jpg

GnomeCop

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently: 2 Fans underneath the Card, one Side intake and 90mm out in the back.

Good to see that the card fits just fine. Did you have to do any special or in a certain order to get the card in there?
What version of the ncase do you have?

Bawjaws

Limp Gawd

This looks to be the same fan setup that I use (albeit with a 2070 rather than a 3090, and a different CPU).

Do you have the fans underneath the card as intakes or exhausts?

DaHans

n00b
GnomeCop
Nothing special. I had to remove the x570 fan from the GB X570 I Board to have a little more room to put it in the PCIe Slot. The backplate seems to be a little bit higher than my GTX 980 backplate.. After that I screwed it in again.No problems. I also orderd the Removable Front I/O kit but i didn't need it. Its v3.0.
I'm using a SF600 at no problems at all.

Bawjaws
The underneath fans are intake

MIDIBoss

Weaksauce
Sadly, as much as I loved using this case, I had to rebuild my machine when Nvidia RMA'd my GPU with a graphics card which no longer fit into the Ncase M1. Sucked, I loved this case and didn't want to rebuild. Alas, now I have already rebuilt my machine and I need to sell the Ncase M1. I have a M1 V5 (this case version 5) for sale in the ad section here: https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-nc...u-noctua-fans-xbox-one-500gb-console.2003285/

MIDIBoss

Last edited:

Epos7

Gawd
Any word on which of the various 3080 card/waterblock combinations will fit an M1?

I'm trying to limit myself to FE or Asus TUF Gaming. It looks like EKWB's block for the Asus would fit the m1, but I haven't seen it yet.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Any word on which of the various 3080 card/waterblock combinations will fit an M1?

I'm trying to limit myself to FE or Asus TUF Gaming. It looks like EKWB's block for the Asus would fit the m1, but I haven't seen it yet.
Max width for GPUs is 140mm at it widest point, the EK block for the TUF is 148mm. You would probably do better with the FE.

Reactions: Epos7
like this

kill8r

Limp Gawd
Guys can I get some advice on air cooling the M1. I am likely going with an AMD 5900x or 5950x and a 3080 or 6800xt.

I did some research and the Noctua NH-U9S with a second fan seems good for the cooler. Anything better?

Any advice on other fans and the best orientation?

I was thinking cpu fans as exhaust and bottom as intake with Noctua NF-F12 PWM

Lastly what is the best amd motherboard for this case please?

Thanks

ssgrafika

n00b
hello
I have an old case Ncase m1 v5.0 with graphic evga 1080ti sc included...
i have planed to take evga 3080 xc3 but i can't find it, and only choice i have MSI 3080 Ventus but it worries me length of the card and my old version of case.... can you guys give me advice :)

thx

Attachments

• 20180505_132833.jpg
    20180505_132833.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 0

kill8r

Limp Gawd
Fits nice and easy! 😁
EVGAXC3285.37111.152.2-slotYesConfirmed by user

Now this GPU has all three fans in exhaust.

Can someone please advise:

I would love to go for a deshroud unless I am better off just adding exhaust fans in the bottom of the case? I think deshroud would be ideal to create a silent beast.

Looks like a deshroud will be difficult without a dremel. Any ideas?

What would be the best fans and fan orientations given this gpu for the full build if I do deshroud?

I like Noctua so I am thinking:
2 x NF-A12x25 for the deshroid gpu (intake?)
NH-U95 with an extra fan (intake)
Any other fans needed if there are mesh sides?

Thank you all and to @paulesko and @MrTorgue for being so helpful

Last edited:

Epos7

Gawd
I may have an opportunity to buy an EVGA 3080. I'm just not sure what model it is yet.

Anyone know which EVGA RTX 3080 models will fit a v4 NCASE?

Epos7

Gawd
Lucky me, a coworker snagged an EVGA 3080 XC Ultra he's letting me have at cost. Looks like I'll need to swap out my 25mm bottom fans for 15mm ones, but it should fit. If I had my druthers I'd have got the FE, but one perk of the EVGA is better waterblock options.