NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. MightyBoo

MightyBoo n00b

I'm a V2 owner here,when will the usb-c front i/o upgrade kit be in stock? i have been monitoring over the months and still it indicates no stock...
    Thank you....

2. ThatOtherGuy314

ThatOtherGuy314 n00b

3. csd

csd Limp Gawd

+1
    I need to get one for my new build. Fingers crossed their back soon!

4. xcharlesy

xcharlesy n00b

Just got my Ncase delivered in Canada. Ordered 12/15/19, shipped 12/24/19, delivered 01/07/20. Not bad considering the holidays! Also I wasn't asked to pay duty? Is this normal?

Qrash and rfarmer like this.
  5. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

I did not have to pay any taxes or duties for my delivery to (Ottawa) Canada, either. I was really expecting to.

6. xcharlesy

xcharlesy n00b

Curious if anyone has had luck finding a good generic m.2 heatsink that fits on rear mounted motherboards. I am going to be using the Strix X570-i and here is what the back of the case looks like. Not sure how much clearance this will allow for but am interested to know what has worked for everyone!

7. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Be careful about the height of the rear M.2 connector. They come in several heights and I found out the hard way that the one on my son's Asus Z170 Pro Gaming was too short (too close to the motherboard) to accommodate the SSD heatsink from EKWB. EKWB now lists a minimum height for the M.2 connector in order for their heatsink to be compatible.

8. xcharlesy

xcharlesy n00b

Might be a stupid question, but do you guys use PH0 or PH1 size screw drivers for fan bracket/mobo screw/chassis etc?

9. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

I use a PH1. Do not overtighten the screws that attach most things to the chassis. I use a PH2 for the screws that attach a power supply to its mounting bracket and expansion cards to the chassis via their own mounting bracket.

10. xcharlesy

xcharlesy n00b

When you say "expansion cards to the chassis via their own mounting bracket" you mean the screws holding the removable slots in place? the ones that actually get screwed into the gpu?

11. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Yes. But again, do not overtighten the screws that secure expansion cards to the chassis. I use a small PH1 to get the screws mostly tight, and then snug it up just a very small amount with the PH2. Finger-tight is the best way to describe how tight to make these screws. For screws that fasten the PSU mounting bracket or the side fan bracket to the chassis, only use the PH1.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    xcharlesy likes this.
  12. DoubleTap

DoubleTap 2[H]4U

Thanks for the heads up! I ordered a silver 6.1 after trying and missing for most of a year.

rfarmer likes this.
  13. DoubleTap

DoubleTap 2[H]4U

Is there a current recommended hardware list for the M1 V6 / 6.1?

I'm for sure going to need a new CPU cooler (8700K) and my 1080Ti / AXIII will need compatible fans - all that and a new PSU and I think I'm good to go...

14. Engr62

Engr62 Gawd

You can't go wrong with a Noctua NH-U9S with dual fans for the i7-8700K.

15. DoubleTap

DoubleTap 2[H]4U

I've heard it's pretty loud and that the C14 is quieter and performs better.

Pillars likes this.
  16. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

I have both of the fans on my U9S running on the low noise adaptors and even at full speed (1,600rpm iirc) they are not loud by any means. They're audible, but it's a quiet whoosh and far from unpleasant on the ear.

The C14 is discontinued, so if you can find one then buy one.

Engr62 likes this.
  17. Pillars

Pillars Gawd

You can mod the C14S to fit, Dremel out the middle bar and bend to fit. This allows the rear, side bracket and an under sink fans to fit given you desink your ram. I run a delid 9700K at 4.8Ghz that doesn't break 60C gaming.

DoubleTap likes this.
  18. retnyop

retnyop n00b

There are two C14's on ebay for sale at the moment up for grabs if anyones interested.