NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. b21

b21 n00b

Is somebody interested in a build with an Asus Rog Strix 5700 XT O8G or has experience with the installation? (v5)

2. 576190

576190 [H]Lite

Hi, bit excited here it's been dispatch!

Yep, that's my NCASE M1 on it's way to the UK. My new pastime will be tracking my M1, sad but true!

3. Grendell

Grendell n00b

Mine is also on the way in fact it is already in Germany at customs......

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  4. 576190

576190 [H]Lite

It's arrived in the UK... now awaiting Custom clearance.

5. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

I have a user manual for M1 V6 here. It's a WIP right now, but should be useful for you guys.

6. Grendell

Grendell n00b

Lucky me, sometimes my post ist usles, they had it and should have been here yesterday but no, now its on the way to customs..... And I have to pick it up myself..... It's okay but sometimes they bring it to me and I have to pay the fees at the door

7. 576190

576190 [H]Lite

Collected myself just now, if your in the UK the import tax was 20.50 pounds and Parcel Force charged 12 pound handling.

Just waiting on the rest of my components, should be tomorrow at the lastest and then the build!

Thanks for the manual appreciated.

8. Grendell

Grendell n00b

Import tax in Germany where the usually 19%.... Had to pay 40 Euro,

Anyway i transferred my build from v3 to v6 and there are some points

- more space for my aio, movement left to right is cool so I could move the aio far left and have more space for 2ssd back to back

- the bracket for the sfx psu feels a little flimsy compared to the v3, a screw to the front of the case would have made it a lot more stable

-I mounted a odd on the front bracket had to left out the screw on the low left side because it would have hinder the mounting of the adapter for power and sata cabel

Will upload some pictures later

9. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw [H]ardForum Junkie

I agree on the PSU mount. I don't particularly like it.

The ODD mount, I think, uses only 4(?) screws, two on one side, two on the back. I don't have a spare slotted cover, nor do I want to cut a slit for one, so I just have an ODD drive sitting pretty.

10. Grendell

Grendell n00b

had to remove the realy small screw at the bottom so the plug would go a bit deeper maybe it would have worked with the screw in it , the plug would be at an angle and not realy deep

IMG_20191004_124351.jpg

11. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Pre-V6, the ODD tray attached to the optical drive with 4 screws, 2 on the left and 2 on the right. In the V6 the ODD tray uses 3 screws, 1 on the left and 2 on the bottom.

The V6 tray has a small piece of metal plate on the lower left side where the pre-V6 ODD tray had a hole for a screw. Maybe you could carefully measure and mark where the hole needs to be so that you could use a second screw on the left side, like the pre-V6 ODD tray.

However, it may be that the small piece of metal doesn't cover the threaded hole in that area so my idea won't work. Can you post a photo of the left edge of the ODD tray with the drive installed?

12. Grendell

Grendell n00b

hi , thanks for the idea , i just wanted to menttion it for maybe a future v6.5 or so and maybe its only my odd becuase its needs a adapter and no one else will have this "problem" what it is not because the 2 screws left hold it realy well

anyway some picturtes

IMG_20191010_164239.jpg

IMG_20191010_164303.jpg

anyway its not that i have ocd or somethink like that but i will take my build apart again , got myself a asus z390 with onboard header for the usbc front header ;D

13. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

In the first photo the drives threaded hole is visible so it's not covered by the ODD tray's small black metal fold. Oh well. At least it's being held tight enough.

14. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

I have some tweaks in mind for the SFX bracket in the next minor revision that should keep the PSU in place better. Won't be adding a screw at the front of the case, though.

I see, seems like the slim SATA adapter is the culprit. Not sure what else I could do about that. As you've observed though it does still work fine with only two screws holding the drive.

Yeah, I would've added another screw hole there but I needed that part of the flange for the screw that secures the ODD bracket to the chassis.

15. No Hands 55

No Hands 55 Limp Gawd

is there any 3d print stl or mod available for a front IOless panel? want to try and make my own instead of waiting for the official kit.

16. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Not that I'm aware of.

17. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

For those few who have stuck a 3900x into their Ncase M1 how is it doing performance/heat wise? Just curious.

IdiotInCharge and Neapolitan6th like this.
  18. Grendell

Grendell n00b

so I swaped the asrock z370 gaming itx against a Asus z390i gaming just for the usbc front panel

It seems the Asus bios hath some limitations active every time I run Cinebench r20 after around 50% it drops from 4.7 to 4.1

No temp problems in fact they are great, what I found out till now if everything is on auto within the bios it limits itself to 95watt tdp

Will upload some pictures later of this v6 build.... I like it

19. Deceptoid

Deceptoid n00b

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm struggling to find an answer.

I'm trying to find the GPU compatibility list for the M1 V5. I assume there was a change in the compatible dimensions between V5 and V6, based off the change log:

• Enlarged chassis front GPU passthrough to facilitate GPU installation and provide more room for oversized GPUs
    • Removed four panel mounting clips from side flanges to reduce incidence of oversized GPU conflicts

Was there a change in the supported dimensions and if so, can anyone point me to where the supported GPU's list is?

I've searched for a while and haven't found clear answers.

Thanks heaps

20. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

In addition to the changes you listed the V6 has a more compact Front I/O and I believe a lower cable connection to allow slightly more room for large cards. The best references for graphics card compatibility are listed in the opening post of this thread by the M1's designer:

The second link has two drawings that show the dimensional limits at the bottom of the case for large cards.

21. xSDMx

xSDMx Gawd

22. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Looks like a very tidy build. Are you using the original power supply cables or custom cables? Also, what are the components of the system?

xSDMx likes this.
  23. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, that hole at the front would have made installing my STRIX 970 a bit easier. One side clip had to go on my V5 and the GPU HSF had to be disassembled to even fit (then reassembled after somewhat moving into place).

Also, the only AM4 board with an USB-C header is still the ASUS C8I? I just wish it wasn't so expensive for what it offered.

24. xSDMx

xSDMx Gawd

Thanks! After rebuilding my v5 dozens of times over the past year, I feel like I was well prepared for my v6 rebuild, haha. PSU cables are unsleeved custom lengths. Main specs are 9900k + 2080 Ti.

25. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Unsleeved custom lengths? I hadn't seen that before. Sleeved cables look bulkier than original cables, but make up for that by being the exact length needed with no excess to fold or tuck away somewhere. Plus, they can be coloured. Still, I think your cables have a sleek appearance that I may consider copying in the future. Plus, no reason the wires themselves can't be coloured.

xSDMx likes this.
  26. Grendell

Grendell n00b

QuantumBraced, Qrash and Nanook like this.