NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Oh, gee, so it is! That's what happens when you get old and browse on a phone! Wow, that's completely cut out.

ReaperX22 likes this.
  2. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

I managed to get the tentative go-ahead from my wife on purchasing a 2080 XC Ultra so I can strip it down and test the heat sink to see if it will work as an Accelero. Depending on in-store stock, I might be able to have pictures and results up in less than a week. Does anyone have any specific testing requests? Right now I'm thinking basic tests. Stock operation with no bottom fans and then remove the shroud and stock gpu fans in exchange for two NF-F12's as exhaust @ 50% speed (1k rpm). Thoughts?

QuantumBraced likes this.
  3. teo

teo n00bie

You’re a gentleman and a scholar. I’m personally most interested in noise relative to performance. Ideally you’d be able to find the lowest rpm that still achieves reasonable (under 80C) temps on both the stock cooler and noctuas as exhaust. But I get that’s not everyone’s focus and the 15ish minutes to hit temperature steady state adds up. If you’re able to note pwm % and rpm for both versions on any tests I’d sure appreciate it. My ultimate goal is to figure out how much quieter an M1 could get vs a Dan-wich style case. Subjective noise assessments would be neat, too.

I think bottom intake in the accelero-style has been sufficiently shown unworthy. What is your normal CPU cooler/side fan situation? Window or vented panel? If you’re able to note what speeds those fans run at that would also be awesome!

4. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

How about two NF-A12x25 PWM fans instead...?

Qrash likes this.
  5. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

I normally run a C14s with one 140mm Noctua fan under the sink blowing towards the glass, one 92mm rear intake and a side panel window, 1080ti and accelero with fans exhausting. I set my exhaust fan speed to 35% and normally I run 65/65C when everything is overclocked. I'll be able to tell pretty quick if something changes.

I'll see if I can grab a pair in time.

6. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

It should fit in theory. Taken from sfflab

Rear exhaust cards are recommended, especially for cards with a TDP greater than 150W.

Maximum card length:

• 317mm in slots 1 & 2
    • 279mm in slot 3
    Maximum card height:

• For cards up to 317mm, or for cards in the third slot: 111mm
    • For cards up to 292mm in length in the first or second slot: 140mm
    • For all cards: 120mm at the PCIe power connectors
    Graphics cards with PCBs which extend to the full height at the corners will not fit in the M1, due to interference with the chassis. See this post for more information.

For more detailed GPU size limitations, refer to this diagram.

Qrash and phillai like this.
  7. einmannbude

einmannbude [H]Lite

I am impressed by your temperatures. I am roughly in the same boat with a 1080 Ti, Accelero III and two fans exhausting air, 92mm rear fan intake, only difference is: I have a Be Quiet CPU cooler. Well and most probably other fans. With GPU power target set to 120%, it stabilizes at 75°C running Unigine. Real game temps are a bit lower, but not much, if the game is demanding enough to use most of the GPU power to maintain 60 FPS.

Looking forward to your stripped 2080 (non Ti) test, because I also want to replace my GPU sooner or later and had the same cooling solution in mind.

IMG_1883.JPG IMG_1887.JPG

Nanook and Neapolitan6th like this.
  8. riktanius

riktanius n00bie

Yeah, I chopped out most of the bottom... waiting on some new files to smooth the edges and then it is done.

I have 2 Noctua NF-A14 PPC IP67 PWM fans, for the bottom of the case. They are glorious. Blow tons of air at 2krpms, are completely silent below 1k. I plan on running them nice and quietly almost all the time and then letting the speed ramp up. This is exactly why i went through the trouble of cutting the bottom out, it just seemed like so much wasted potential and so much blocked flow.

I have no idea why the floor wouldnt be one of the things they worked on through 5 revisions.

enimWO5.jpg

9. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Because the chassis was designed for a side mounted radiator or AIO...

Because of the need for a certain amount of structural rigidity...

Because of the multi attachment points for things like fans & drives that are incorporated into the floor design...

ReaperX22 likes this.
  10. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

An unusual question: (and rambling)

(lets assume everything I suggest would fit properly)

If I mount a GPU AIO on the right bottom of the case, can I expect under 80C thermals if I exhaust out the bottom of the case instead of using it as an intake. (The card tops at 50C under load)

The graphics card would be a Radeon Pro Duo and would be generating 300+ watts of heat that I'd rather not exhaust into my case and raise the passive temperatures of my components.

The Pro Duo would be vertically mounted most likely. The only intakes would be a top slim 120mm fan with a top 80-92mm fan.

My thought being I can control the case temperatures if I am able to keep the GPU AIO exhaust from entering the case.

11. JTIlla

JTIlla n00bie

I've been using this build for over a year now. Running an 1800X Oc @ 4ghz with a 1080ti. Its been fantastic and very solid. Pretty much used it every day for heavy 3D work. Reading and catching up on these posts has been fun and I feel compelled to build another one with newer components.
    Interesting to see the C14s doing well with a 140 mm fan underneath. I'll likely go with this. Currently running with a C14 and 120 mm intake.
    89997_ncase_complete.jpg

Boil, ReaperX22, Jspr and 2 others like this.
  12. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody n00bie

Soo. What do you guys think of the new ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I gaming.. Or simply put.. Asus z390 itx board :p.. Does the intergrated I/O VRM cooler kill it for top performance air coolers like the C14 and Dark Rock TF ? I would rather have the Asus board, but I could be forced to go with the ASRock Z390 gaming ITX board instead because of this. I see a potential compability problem. Am I the only one?..

TwZnc9U0uV4BkcTf_setting_000_1_90_end_1000.jpg

13. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

I think there are going to be problems with any top down cooler with the Asus board, be fine with AIO or tower coolers. If you really want to use the Dark Rock TF get the Gigabyte board, the z370 was the only one fully compatible with that cooler. The C14 should be fine with Asrock, MSI or Gigabyte.

Qrash likes this.
  14. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

I am starting to wonder about these large VRM heatsink and I/O covers. How is the VRM heatsink supposed to get good airflow when it's covered up, in some instances, almost completely? I'd rather have good airflow in this area than an RGB logo. Some people even prefer to not use an I/O plate to allow air to exhaust out of the case from this area.

I will be examining my new Threadripper motherboard to see if the cover on the VRM heatsinks can be easily removed (no Dremel action yet).

15. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

Quick update - ordered two NF-A12x25's that should be here Monday. There are five 2080 XC Ultra's in stock near me so hopefully those stay available until this evening/tomorrow morning so I can grab one for testing. I'm still hoping to have all of the testing done and posted by next Saturday.

I think it looks dope af. I don't think top downs will have a problem with the shield. My mentality is, if I can clear the daughterboards on the x299 board with a top down then the shield shouldn't be in the way.

Boil likes this.
  16. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody n00bie

The problem here is not the height.. The problem is the pipes coming from the core and maybe cannot fit because of the VRM shield there..

MDUHFSq.png

But I checked Noctuas webpage and they already list it as compatible.. But lets see when they get out into the wild.. https://noctua.at/en/mainboard/Asus_ROG_STRIX_Z390-I_GAMING

17. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

Well rip my dreams. Apparently putting up a fence and removing the hot tub is more important to my wife than me buying an XC Ultra to test in the M1. Sorry guys. I really wanted to test it. At least I got some NF-A12x25's coming?

18. obs

obs [H]ardness Supreme

Noooooo

19. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

That's my bad. I shouldn't have said anything until I had the GPU in hand. Really sorry guys.

20. obs

obs [H]ardness Supreme

No problem, I have a feeling it will only work with 15mm fans based on a shroud removal of the dual asus 2080 ti I saw somewhere.'

Some good info here too:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Epos7 likes this.
  21. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

Yeah I saw that. I really feel like with the fans and shroud removed it can fit with full 25's, hence why I wanted to test in the first place. Friggen ree. I'm so disappointed.

22. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Edit: removed unrelated misquote.
    If that's 15mm, then 25 should easily fit.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  23. Epos7

Epos7 Limp Gawd

I have an EVGA RTX 2080 XC on the way. I'm currently set up with one 120mm fan on the bottom of my case and temps are good, but I only have a GTX 960. Do you think two 120mm fans on the bottom is going to be necessary with the 2080?

24. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

Probably not necessary, but it wouldn't hurt it either if you set them to intake. It'll probably be the same as all the other two slot pascal cards.

Epos7 likes this.
  25. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Just tell her you are going to pick up the fencing; and instead of fencing, come back with the GPU & a few bottles of nice wine...?

rfarmer likes this.
  26. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

If you don't hear from me again, it's because I'm dead . 20181013_123745.jpg

27. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

We will hope for the best, tell the wife this is much more useful than a hot tub.

28. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Glad you took my advice, sorry for your impending doghousery...

No no, she wanted the hot tub REMOVED and some fencing installed...

29. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Opps misread that, well RTX 2080 is definitely more useful than some fencing.

30. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

31. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

I'm curious, are your CPU temps meeting your expectations with the glass panel? I'm considerimg a similar setup. Not sure if that style of cooler still performs well with a more limited top clearance.

I see you have the rear 92mm intake which helps I'd imagine!

32. einmannbude

einmannbude [H]Lite

33. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

I was making sure it worked before taking it apart and getting a baseline temp reading. Pro tip, do not do this setup. Even if the 92mm fan is flipped to exhaust there is not enough exhaust for the heat input. Cpu hit 106c and the GPU was at 79c with fans roaring at 17.5c ambient.

Tomorrow I'll take the shroud off. Gotta hit the store to grab a smaller torx bit.

Nanook likes this.
  34. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

Temps are fantastic if you use an accelero with two 120mm exhaust fans with the c14s.

Neapolitan6th likes this.
  35. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Ouch.

36. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

You’re alive!
    I agree that the 92mm fan can’t keep up with the total heat output of the system.

37. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

Not looking good guys. The bracket that holds the plastic shroud over the fans doesn't want to come off. I don't even know if it can. 20181014_111838.jpg

38. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

prob screws on the underside, you prob have to take the heatsink off.

ghostwich likes this.
  39. Shottie

Shottie Limp Gawd

It appears to be soldered to the heat sink.