NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Qrash

Gawd
im only seeing 17 of the countersunk screw , but im suppose to have 19. what part of the chassis is it for? (i dont have any 2.5 drives)

View attachment 100494
You are referring to the H screws, right? Those are used for attaching the stacking brackets to the sides of 2.5 inch drives (one on top of the other). This way you can get two drives in the mounting space of one drive, such as either side of the front panel or on the bottom of the case. Note that there is only room for two drives underneath the front cover if they are both 7 mm thick. The H screws are also used to attach the power supply and side fan brackets to the M1 chassis.

Last edited:

Greeley

Limp Gawd
yes the H scews, since i dnt use 2.5 drives i should have enough for the psu

I cant get the bottom left of the io shield to stay in no matter what. Any tips?

edit just left the IO shield out

anybody have a picture of the optical drive holder? i see something in front but it looks like a hdd folder instead

Attachments

Last edited:

VulcaN

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a M1 build thats been solid for ~3 years now, but now I want to add a GPU for faster rendering.

I have a ASUS 1080ti strix in my gaming rig and I could use this as an excuse to upgrade that soon, but looking in the M1 it doenst look like any card would fit?

When I installed the DarkRock TF cooler I knew it was massive, it was listed as compatible (but "touching" the back plate) on most GPUs I saw. I would have gone with an AIO single fan cooler but this thing outperformed all of the AIO's I saw. Its hard to remember, but I believe this is the only orientation the cooler fit on this motherboard when I installed it.

Is my motherboard the problem (Asus Z87I-Deluxe Z87 Mini ITX)? I tried test fitting an older GPU and there was just no way it was going to happen.

IFf7mqq.jpg

Last edited:

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a M1 build thats been solid for ~3 years now, but now I want to add a GPU for faster rendering.

I have a ASUS 1080ti strix in my gaming rig and I could use this as an excuse to upgrade that soon, but looking in the M1 it doenst look like any card would fit?

When I installed the DarkRock TF cooler I knew it was massive, it was listed as compatible (but "touching" the back plate) on most GPUs I saw. I would have gone with an AIO single fan cooler but this thing outperformed all of the AIO's I saw. Its hard to remember, but I believe this is the only orientation the cooler fit on this motherboard when I installed it.

Is my motherboard the problem (Asus Z87I-Deluxe Z87 Mini ITX)? I tried test fitting an older GPU and there was just no way it was going to happen.

View attachment 100886
I used the Dark Rock TF on 2 different boards in the M1. I remember my Gigabyte z170 had almost this same problem with the cooler oriented like you have yours, If I removed the backplate I could mount a GPU but not with the backplate in place. Fortunately I was able to mount it 90 degrees and was able to fit the GPU. Are you sure that is the only orientation it will fit?

VulcaN

[H]ard|Gawd
Is the socket location standardized? I can try to remount it, I'm almost sure this was the only way to clear other obstructions (ram, PSU or case, cant remember).

I use the PC daily for work and I'd like to minimize downtime... if it doesn't fit is there a smaller AIO cooler these days that can give me similar cooling performance and not take up so much space?

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Is the socket location standardized? I can try to remount it, I'm almost sure this was the only way to clear other obstructions (ram, PSU or case, cant remember).

I use the PC daily for work and I'd like to minimize downtime... if it doesn't fit is there a smaller AIO cooler these days that can give me similar cooling performance and not take up so much space?
Here are the 2 boards mounted side by side. Layout looks almost identical.

33de216313.jpg

I had my TF mounted like this.

49cf529042.jpg

The heat pipes pushed on the inside ram a bit, but I never had any problem with that slot not working.

Frazhna

Limp Gawd

View attachment 100886
I use the Dark Rock TF with the Asus z87i deluxe motherboard. If you face the ends of the heat pipes toward the back of the case, it comes extremely close but isn’t actually touching other than where the rubber pass-through grommets are. This way there is room for using a graphics card and also a 120mm fan in the front side slot. You have to move the power plug and have it unscrewed while installing the TF, but it fits and works extremely well. I’m pretty sure I have posted pictures before, but here are a couple pictures

8zag3QL.jpg

E4eSE8X.jpg

yV6DPLc.jpg

You have to do this with the power plug while installing, but then you can screw it back in when you are done.
b3KspKp.jpg

I have one of the first versions of the case and my RAM is very low profile.

Last edited:

M1AF

Limp Gawd
Like several of you, I've been curious about the new 2.75 slot EVGA cards and doing an accelero type mod for cooling just by removing the fans. I found this picture on the EVGA website and the circled areas might cause issues. But one thing is for sure, the sink is taller on the outsides than the middle where it is sunk in. I still believe there's a lot more sink surface area vs an accellero since it goes all the way from the cold plate down to almost two full slots. But I am worried about the brackets that the fan assembly screws into. Looks like it would have to be cut off in order to fit flush against two bottom fans.

2.75 2080ti.png 2.75.2 2080ti.png

Edit: This other picture shows that it might be a seperate piece completely, which would be super cool.

2.75.3 2080ti.png

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Like several of you, I've been curious about the new 2.75 slot EVGA cards and doing an accelero type mod for cooling just by removing the fans. I found this picture on the EVGA website and the circled areas might cause issues. But one thing is for sure, the sink is taller on the outsides than the middle where it is sunk in. I still believe there's a lot more sink surface area vs an accellero since it goes all the way from the cold plate down to almost two full slots. But I am worried about the brackets that the fan assembly screws into. Looks like it would have to be cut off in order to fit flush against two bottom fans.

View attachment 101358 View attachment 101359

Edit: This other picture shows that it might be a seperate piece completely, which would be super cool.

View attachment 101362
Yeah, you can see some countersunk screws around the part that goes under the fan hub, and what looks like a button head screw. One of those probably hold it onto the fin array.

M1AF

Limp Gawd
Asus has a really nice looking option for their 2080ti 2.7 slot card. I would be more inclined to go this route as an accelero alternative vs the evga heatsink.

Asus 2080ti.png

riktanius

n00b
Here is a concept riser I'm drawing up at the moment... it adds up to 50mm height. once I'm happy with the design, I'm thinking to 3D print these 4 parts (2x risers, and 2x struts). I wanted to make sure that the risers are strong enough by adding those three vertical ribs.
Got these designs in any place that someone could use? I just got my 3D printer and am really intrigued by what you have designed.

Nanook

Limp Gawd
Got these designs in any place that someone could use? I just got my 3D printer and am really intrigued by what you have designed.
I’ll have to hunt down those files. Not sure if I would want to share them, as they’re very rough. I remember having to do a whole bunch more hand work to get everything to fit. I meant to refine the CAD file, but something shinier came along...

I’ve gone back to a much simpler build now:
qeRUAI6.jpg

vs back in the day...
JQLd8Wy.jpg

M1AF

Limp Gawd
I’ll have to hunt down those files. Not sure if I would want to share them, as they’re very rough. I remember having to do a whole bunch more hand work to get everything to fit. I meant to refine the CAD file, but something shinier came along...

View attachment 102645
How are your temps with the C14s and Accelero?

Nanook

Limp Gawd
How are your temps with the C14s and Accelero?
Temperatures are great. Neither my CPU or GPU are overclocked for my current needs. My chips are not great at overclocking. If I OC by about 10%, you’d add another 10c to the temps below.

Gaming temperature:
6700K: 50-59c
GTX1080: 60-69c

Stress test temperatures:
6700K: 70c
GTX1080: 73c

Can’t wait to upgrade with the new cpu/gpu later this year :)

riktanius

n00b

View attachment 102645

vs back in the day...
View attachment 102646

Any big reasons for the change back to air? And whatever you've got, I'll take. I am working on a crazy build and am trying to accumulate all the parts I need.

I cant wait to show off what I have in the works...

M1AF

Limp Gawd
Any big reasons for the change back to air? And whatever you've got, I'll take. I am working on a crazy build and am trying to accumulate all the parts I need.

I cant wait to show off what I have in the works...
I can't wait to see. I love unique things in the M1.

gsilver

Gawd
I'm looking forward to what the consensus is on some of these 2.x slot coolers for the 20 series and the NCase M1.
It'd be really nice if the heatsink can compare with the Arctic Accelero and we just need to replace the fans.

Frazhna

Limp Gawd
I got a good deal on the gigabyte Aorus gaming box that comes with a gtx 1080 mini ITX inside it. I took it out of the gaming box and put it in my M1, but I can’t seem to keep the temps below the throttling threshold. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at this because I have been extremely frustrated with GPU cooling the whole time I have had this case. Getting a card with a blower type cooler didn’t work, and using the accelero only works for about a day or two after I clean the dust filters, and that’s just barely under throttle temps even then. The only time I consistently had GPU temps below the throttling temp was when I was water cooling with a custom loop. I thought my problem was the fact that I was using a 220 watt card (GTX 770) but even my 180W GTX 1080 that I have now can’t keep cool. I thought it would be a good idea to get the GTX 1080 that comes in the Aorus gaming box because it has a 130mm fan on it. I thought that fan would be good at keeping quiet and providing ample airflow at the same time, but I was wrong. It is not very good at keeping itself cool unless it has direct access to fresh air, otherwise, it just recirculates hot air, because it doesn’t have a shroud.

Rhialto

Gawd
Getting a card with a blower type cooler didn’t work.
It works for me... MSI 1080 Ti AERO. I use a fan curve to keep it pretty quiet, I have it set at 52% if 88°C is reached then 100% if 90°C is reached and that never happened or I would have heard it. It sometimes goes in the 80's but again never heard the fan goes 100% so to me it's all good.

upload_2018-9-14_19-18-36.png

Nanook

Limp Gawd
What do you guys think would be best fan setup for the new FE2080 with a C14S with window?

Greeley

Limp Gawd
so word is 1080ti > 2080 founders edition on price per preformance based on gamers nexus benchmarks

Yeah. They're technically supposed to cost the same, but in reality the 2080 is about $150 more. It does outperform the 1080 Ti by 5-10% at 4K. Plus, it has the new features which could potentially be useful in the future. So if they cost the same or within $50 I'd definitely opt for the 2080. But right now it's a tough decision, especially considering you can get a used 1080 Ti for $500. If you have a 970 or better I'd skip this generation. Next year, with mature RT tech, 7nm, and competition from Intel and AMD, we can expect a bigger leap in performance at a better price.

JamboAU

Weaksauce
Yeah I saw. It’s a typical update, unlike Pascal’s massive leap forward.
And for those of us in Australia, the RTX 2080 Ti offers an average of 31% performance improvement over the 1080 Ti (according to Hardware Unboxed) for a 100% price difference.... meh, this ray tracing stuff better be good and widely supported

Nanook

Limp Gawd
Had to flip all the case fans... Switched to bottom intake, rear exhaust, top passive exhaust. 140mm CPUfan blows though C14S heatsink. Little bit warmer this way.

6700K CPU temps about 50-60 gaming, 70-78 stress
RTX 2080 GPU temps about 60-70 gaming, 74(?) cap stress
o0CvDeF.jpg
qfqQDFG.jpg
IqMu3W6.jpg

Last edited:

Greeley

Limp Gawd
Hey my fans finally came in and would like some advice on installing them.

my rig has the u9s, window, and no accelero mod on the gpu.

for the bottom 120s, is intake best?

for the two 92mm im not sure how install the back one, do i attach it to the cooler or to the case?

(suppose to be intaking one the front of the cooler and exhausting out the other side/out of the case but i need to double check i put the other fan on right)

Greeley

Limp Gawd
so i didnt think through where these fan cables would go

where did everyone route them?

Fh5SRI8.jpg

also is the rear fan suppose to be on a spliter with the cpu fan? im not sure if having them at the same speed is a bad thing

pendragon1

Fully [H]
so i didnt think through where these fan cables would go

where did everyone route them?

View attachment 105485

also is the rear fan suppose to be on a spliter with the cpu fan? im not sure if having them at the same speed is a bad thing
rotate the fans so the cable are at the back and then tuck them along the edge maybe. re the exhaust fan, that will work but id want it to be independent if possible. you may need it to run faster for gpu heat exhaust when the cpu isn't working as hard. but that depends on how many headers you have.

Greeley

Limp Gawd
rotate the fans so the cable are at the back and then tuck them along the edge maybe. re the exhaust fan, that will work but id want it to be independent if possible. you may need it to run faster for gpu heat exhaust when the cpu isn't working as hard. but that depends on how many headers you have.
CPU header, AIO header, and CHA header, thats it. i can try connecting to the AIO header.

will try the moving the 120s, main problem is the spliter, its not very long/pliable.

i saw some people put the Front panel cables through the outside might try that if my BR drive doesnt get in the way.

pendragon1

Fully [H]
CPU header, AIO header, and CHA header, thats it. i can try connecting to the AIO header.

will try the moving the 120s, main problem is the spliter, its not very long/pliable.

i saw some people put the Front panel cables through the outside might try that if my BR drive doesnt get in the way.
the aio header should be usable, usually its just a higher amp rating.

try this:

upload_2018-9-21_16-23-7.png

Nanook

Limp Gawd

What type of gpu are you using?
I’d also recommmend what pendragon1 suggested. :)

Greeley

Limp Gawd
its a 1080 ti sc. i put the fan cables around the gpu and they barely reach the spliter, i'll tidy it up a cable tie

tpY6IoS.jpg

Rhialto

Gawd
for the two 92mm im not sure how install the back one, do i attach it to the cooler or to the case?
I would keep it like this, rear on the case and duct the rear to the heatskink... That's what I did so I'm sure that all hot air is going outside with no weird recirculation.

M1-HSduct-def.png

Tis is a 3D picture, if you can manage to cross your eyes until the 2 dots on the top overlap perfectly you'll see the depth in the picture. Once you get that it's magic. But one picture is enough to understand the duct part. No air can escape the exit of the heatsink.

Last edited: