NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your case. Your 1060 will fit just fine. The Corsair SF600 is a good PSU but unless you are getting custom cables I recommend the Silverstone, the Corsair ones are very stiff.

The 8700k is another matter, I highly recommend delidding your CPU. I have one and dropped 20C in temps. The Noctua NHD9L is a good cooler but could have trouble keeping a non dellided 8700k cool. I am using a Dark Rock TF which works well, but doesn't fit on all motherboards. Be Quiets website lists the Asus Z370 as non compatible. The Noctua is one of the best air coolers you can buy that fit in the Ncase.

2. wenrro

wenrro n00bie

Thanks for your response. :)

I was afraid of the temps problem with the 8700k and you confirmed it.

My common sense tells me that an 8700 should be a better option (65w tdp) but it's only 15€ cheaper... :\

I have a lot of respect about delidding an 380€ cpu... :\ The dark rock TF is huge, and i would like to go for something as big as the noctua D9L.

What temps would you think i could get with the 8700k and the D9L at gaming?

Thank you :)

3. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

I think you can do it and be ok with the D9L, I wouldn't plan on any high overclocks. My guess would be max of 70C with a non dellided 8700k. If you do some prime95 stress testing I think you will see some scary numbers, possibly 90Cish but that is unrealistic of gaming temps.

4. wenrro

wenrro n00bie

Thanks for the quick response!

I used the search and read about the NH-U9S as a great cooler too. But is it better than the D9L?? D9L seems to have a bigger heatsink, doesn't it?

Thanks.

5. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Take a look at the first post on page 647, xfan10 got really good results using a NH-U9S. He has a non k 8700 but your temps shouldn't be far off.

wenrro likes this.
  6. klm

klm n00bie

I don't think so. The D9L is 428 g without fan, while the U9S is 524 g without fan, so there must be more metal in the U9S. Either way, if you look up tests, both perform very well and almost equal. There may be a 1 or 2 degree difference. Pick whichever you like beter. Personally I picked the U9S, and pointed the airflow towards the back of the case, where I put a second NF-A9 PWM fan to extract the hot air. This works quite well.

wenrro likes this.
  7. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

By all accounts there isn't much difference between the U9S and the D9L, not more than a couple of degrees in it (and different reviews give different verdicts as to which is better). I have a U9S and I'm very happy with it, fwiw. I would recommend adding a second fan to either the U9S or D9L, though, because doing so will allow you to run a lot quieter for the same level of cooling, and that's important in the M1 as the vented panels don't do much to keep the noise in! You can either stick a second fan on the heatsink directly or you could put it on the back panel as klm says.

wenrro likes this.
  8. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Gawd

Stock clocks, balanced profile: 75c on Furmark. Haven't tweaked fan profiles, but they are silent. Haven't undervolted yet, but it is in the plans. Haven't done too much monitoring during gaming yet. My main goal from this was to quiet everything down, which it has done tremendously. The Vega blower was so much louder than my GTX 780 blower. I'm also learning that my Silverstone SX650 PSU fan, despite being advertised as silent, has a harsh sound profile to it compared to my old Silverstone 450w with Noiseblocker fan mod. I'll probably be doing a fan mod on this unit as well. Maybe should have just stuck to the tried and true Corsair SF600.

What I like about this setup is that the bottom fans are set to exhaust, so they blow nice warm air all over my desk... good in the wintertime :)

wenrro likes this.
  9. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Sounds like it is working well, glad it is much quieter. Exhaust seems to work best with that setup, get all that hot exhaust out of the case rather than blowing it up to the CPU.

wenrro likes this.
  10. wenrro

wenrro n00bie

yes, i've already read it before, that´s where i thought that the U9S could be a good option too. ^^

Thank you for that fact, i thing i'll go for the U9S then.

Thank you for your response. I will buy another fan for that purpose too. What model would you recommend?

Thinking about fans, i'd like to purchase 2 additional fans... what do you think about ml120 pro from corsair or maybe nb e-loop?

And about the storage config, i was thinking in using:

samsung evo256gb

2x crucial bx300 240gb in raid

toshiba 3.5 hdd 3tb.

Is it possible to use these 4 drives at the same time? For what i learnt from the web, it looked like the max number of drives in any combination was 3.

Thanks a lot! Great forum with great people! :)

11. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

You can mount up to 4 2.5 SSDs, using the stacking brackets on each side of the front frame. I am guessing the Samsung is a M.2? If not you can do the SSDs with no problem. You have 2 options with the 3.5 drive, you can use the hard drive bracket on the side mount or mount it to the bottom. This is going to limit additional fans you can use. If you mount it to the bottom you have room for a 92mm fan below your GPU, if mounted to the side bracket you can't add an additional 120mm fan. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The side mounted 120mm helps cool the motherboard and feed cool air to the CPU, 2X120mm bottom mounted fans helps cool the GPU. With you having a 8700k I think I would go with the drive mounted on the bottom, 1060 is a cool running GPU and should be ok.

wenrro likes this.
  12. wenrro

wenrro n00bie

No, all the ssds are 2.5". No M2. Samsung evo 850 - 250gb.

So... i could put the 3 ssds (samsung as system drive, crucials as storage for games in raid 0 mode) and the hdd as general purpose storage, couldn't i?

In that case, if i put the hdd on the bottom, and another 92mm fan in the bottom too, will 2 additional fans fit on the side panel, or only 1 could fit (because of the nh-U9S) ? If only one would fit, then i should go for an additional 120mm fan for the side panel, and another 120mm in the rear panel.

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

13. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Yes you can mount all 3 of the SSDs.

[​IMG]

That is how I have 2 mounted in front, you can do the same thing on the back side of the frame. One thing to note, if your PSU has right angle SATA power connectors it is impossible to use them with the drives stacked like this. I am using this adapter from NZXT.

Yes with the NH-U9S you can only use one 120mm fan on the side bracket, this is all you need. The rear fan mount is 92mm. Most using the NH-U9S mount a 92mm fan there for exhaust.

wenrro likes this.
  14. wenrro

wenrro n00bie

thanks.

well, i've finally ordered the sf600, 8700K, the noctua NH-U9S and the asus rog z370 itx.

I suppose i will have to do something with the ssds issue and the sata power connectors.

:)

15. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

You can try something like this from Moddiy.

Or you can get the whole set sleeved from Corsiar, this set has straight SATA power connectors.

16. wenrro

wenrro n00bie

great, i'll look to get thos sleeved cables in Europe.

by the way, in the box with screws, etc, it came these:

photo_2018-01-14_23-58-16.jpg

Those aren't in the content list at the web. ¿?

17. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Fan grills, far as I know they have been included since the start. Didn't know they weren't in the content list.

wenrro likes this.
  18. Rhialto

Rhialto Gawd

Exactly like me, I completed my build last month and just updated it, see link in my signature. I don't know if you want to squeeze out every MHz to get max overclock or look for a silent build, I was looking for the latter and finally went from 5GHz to 4.8GHz for some lazy reasons like using Q-Fan in BIOS to control fan and have most settings at AUTO. If ASUS wasn't limiting Tcase upper limit temp to 75°C I would run it higher. Anyway, I explain it all on my page.

Have fun building it! Take your time, it's a fun process. Good luck!

wenrro likes this.
  19. Christyles

Christyles n00bie

After almost a couple of months of ordering parts from various sites and waiting for shipment. I have finish my first SFF build.

Specs:
    EVGA 1080 TI SC2 with Arctic Accelero Extreme III
    ASRock Z370 GAMING-ITX/AC
    Corsair SF600
    NH-C14 for HSU
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
    Samsung 960 EVO m.2 nVME- 256GB OS
    Samsung 500gb SSD - Games/Programs
    Samsung 1TB SSD - Files
    4x Noctua NF-F12

Pics:

https://imgur.com/a/RGelM

To Do:
    - replace the SF600 with Sleeved and shorter cables to better manage the space.
    - buy nuts (not sure yet which size) so I can still use the GPU backplate.
    - buy this so I can mount both SSD infront.

20. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Very nicely done, still the best air cooled setup I have seen in the Ncase is the NH-C14 and the Arctic Accelero Extreme III. Curious where you managed to find a NH-C14?

How are your temps and did you find it necessary to delid the CPU?

21. Christyles

Christyles n00bie

I was able to get one back in my home country. I have not tested the temps yet as I'm haven't transferred my files from my old computer yet. For delid, I bought the Rockit when it went on sale. Probably after I run stress test when everything is all setup.

22. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Yeah I got the Rockit88 when it was on sale after Christmas, worked well. I lowered max temps on my 8700k by 20C. I am guessing you will have very good temps with your setup.

23. Christyles

Christyles n00bie

I was looking for the same cable you've used to mount both SSD's power infront but still no luck finding one where I'm at. I can't used Corsair cables as I can't close the front case.

24. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

You might look for something like this cable splitter.

wenrro likes this.
  25. Christyles

Christyles n00bie

The NZXT looks a lot nicer but this is something to consider. btw, Do you have the cable lengths for sleeved cables?

26. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Yeah one of the reasons I went with the NZXT is they were black sleeved. For my custom cables I went 300mm 24 pin, 400mm 8 pin EPS and 300mm PCI cables.

[​IMG]

Christyles and wenrro like this.
  27. Christyles

Christyles n00bie

It looks a lot better than the stock cables from Corsair, I remember you posting the site where you got them before. was it alibaba something?

28. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

AliExpress.

29. wenrro

wenrro n00bie

30. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

wenrro likes this.
  31. wenrro

wenrro n00bie

just bought the cable kit for the corsair sf600.

What rear 92mm fan would you reccomend? Looking for silents ones... And for the side panel?

thanks.

32. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Since you are going for a Noctua heatsink you probably want to stick to Noctua fans, I don't own any myself but there are plenty here who can give you advice on different Noctua fans.

wenrro likes this.
  33. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

Can't say I've had a huge amount of experience but I used:
    Silverstone FW91 - PWM with a good range of RPM but rpm's not entirely stable. Good only if you like the colour and get it at a cheap price. Overall only just an OK fan. Some bearing noise.
    Noctua NFA9 - Excellent fan. Quiet, stable rpms. Maybe overkill for the case. Zero bearing noise.
    Noctua NFA9x14 PWM - Excellent fan. Quiet stable rpms. I'd say this is perfect for bringing just enough fresh cool air into the case whilst leaving circulation room. Zero bearing noise.

I'd also say that my experience may differ from yours as I cut out my rear fan guards entirely - my fans are working with less restriction.

wenrro and Nanook like this.
  34. wenrro

wenrro n00bie

thank you

i think i will go for the Noctua NFA9x14 low profile PWM for the back side outtake and a Noctua NF-S12A PWM for the side panel intake.

What do you think?

thank you.

35. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

Finished my build for time being.

Intel i7 8700
    EVGA 1080 ti SC2
    Samsung EVO M.2 256gb for OS
    Samsung EVO SSD 1tb for games
    HGST HD 1tb for shadow play and OS backups
    Corsair SF600 PSU
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666
    ASUS Strix Z370-I Motherboard
    Noctua NH-U9S
    Noctua NF-A9 PWM
    Noctua NF-S12A PWM x 3
    CableMod custom cables

CPU temp max avg 55c
    GPU temp max avg 72c
    Fortnite avg fps 4k max settings 56fps
    BF1 avg fps 4k max settings 90fps

Thank you to those who helped me with my questions during the build

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And no build is complete without the beer shot

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  36. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Nice clean build you have there, looks great. Interesting color on your cables but they go well with the Noctua fans, did you sleeve them yourself?

37. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

I wanted to go with Noctua fans but they are not the most popular color. But I said "why fight it". So I went with Gold color cables to try to match them but the color on the website didnt match the actual product when it arrived. Below is what you see on their website. Very close to Noctua fan colors. But I am still happy with the actual gold and keeping with a gold, silver, black theme. Ive been on a black and gold kick lately anyways and customizing all my cars in Forza with black carbon fiber bodies and gold rims.

[​IMG]

wenrro likes this.
  38. wenrro

wenrro n00bie

Awesome! :O

I love it.

Finally i've bought the Noctua NF-A9 PWM and the NF-S12A.

I think it will be ok.

^^

39. estrangeiro14

estrangeiro14 n00bie

xfan10 great looking build :) I really like how the cables turned out (even not completely matching the color of the Noctua fans).

One thing I'm curious is the average fps in BF1. You sure you have 90 fps average at 2160p with ultra settings?

40. ptirmal

ptirmal [H]Lite

I would try removing the EVGA fans and seeing how temps changed, also would switch to exhausting.