NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw [H]ardForum Junkie

hey, my build is still sucking in air from the side to support a L9i type heatsink :p

Though I chose my layout for low noise, and this is what I stuck with after the most minimal of testing.

2. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Limp Gawd

Got myself a Seagate 5TB 2.5" HDD. It's amazing they were able to pack 5TB into that form factor, although it is 15mm. I swore I wouldn't put a spinning drive in my PC again, but I needed storage, so... it's going outside. ;) This way I can also use it with my phone and laptop. The advantage of the 2.5" form factor is that it can be powered by USB, and it's also much smaller and lighter. The enclosure I got looks really good next to the M1 too, it's like they were meant for each other. Equal amounts of fingerprint-proneness too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Qrash and ReaperX22 like this.
  3. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

You know you can buy those already in an enclosure, usually for cheaper than the bare drive. That is a good looking enclosure that goes well with your Ncase.

4. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Limp Gawd

I know, but I like the flexibility of being able to pick the drive I want and replace it down the line. Also the enclosure I got is pretty fancy, it supports USB, eSATA, and has an on/off switch, and looks better than any of the preassembled ones.

Edit: Actually the drive you linked uses the exact same drive I bought and costs $70 less, and is easy to disassemble. Wow, I could have easily saved $70 and still used the third party enclosure I wanted. I usually do lots of research before buying PC parts, but in this case it didn't occur to me the bare drive could be more expensive, let alone 30% more. Why would Seagate do this... Well, lesson learned.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  5. ptirmal

ptirmal [H]Lite

No I don't know why exactly, probably just it's thermal properties and viscosity, it might make more of a difference with the newer chips, can't say for sure. I did use a dab of thermal adhesive on the corners to semi relid it, doubt it's doing much though.

Got the new power supply installed, cables are much nicer than the old Silverstone 450 ones. Magnetic fan filter finally in the build now too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new power supply is very nice, can't really hear anything from the build, even when gaming and listening for it I can only hear what I consider reasonable airflow and that's getting up close to it. I did move the A15 back directly to the heatsink unlike this picture, temps got higher when I had it on the side bracket.

6. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

it's probably starved for airflow on that bracket, between the reduced inlet and the filter, even if it's not stalling (which it may be if it's not running full speed).

7. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

I was shopping for the 4TB version awhile back and noticed that, I have no idea why Seagate would sell the drive + enclosure for less than the bare drive.

8. ptirmal

ptirmal [H]Lite

Yea, I didn't want to put it there but I had no zip ties :). Wire ties to the rescue! :)

9. La_Menthe

La_Menthe n00bie

I did the same thing with my GTX 1080 Strix. Blowing air in from the extra bottom Noctua fans gave same temps as removing the fan mount on the Strix (both times around 80c, which still is quite safe), and having the Noctua fans blow air out. It also reduced the noise by quite a lot. 2x Noctua fans are far, far more silent than 2 x Noxtua fans + 3x noisy GPU fans.

I've generally come to the conclusion that blowing air into the case is pretty stupid, and that getting the hot air in the small case out as much as possible is the best way to go.

I asked what orientation people who had the Noctua C14 cooler, which I now just recieved, used. I was surprised that people told me to make the fans to blow air in, and I honestly don't trust that advice; it seems to me that people in here are telling others to do stuff, without actually knowing what results the alternative methods have given as well. I'll be using the C14 with 2 x 120mm fans pushing the air out, and see what results I'll get. If it's ~5c or more below what I currently get on my U9S, I'll be happy.

Chapeau likes this.
  10. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

"Trust, but verify"

:D

11. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

I don't think it is so much people just following the pack but the nature of top down coolers. Pretty much all top down coolers are configured to blow air toward the motherboard, couple that with the fact that it allows you to use the Ncase filtered side bracket and people felt this was the way to go. If you reverse the air flow you will be drawing air from the top and back of the case, you might lower the motherboard temps a bit but the CPU will probably remain the same. Personally I would rather have filtered air and give up a couple degrees in temps.

Christyles likes this.
  12. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

Oh, I feel you on this one. I've got my U9S vertically and temperatures are fine, but I do think I should give it a try horizontally and see if that makes any real difference. Problem is that I can't really face the prospect of a couple of hours messing about removing and remounting the heatsink, tidying up the cabling, putting everything back together again.

13. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

It does get easier... :ROFLMAO:

14. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

It will definitely take some time to reinstall the heat sink. Personally I really enjoyed tinkering when I have the time. I remember each tinkering session will take 1-2 hours for when I was air cooling (U9s / C14 & Accelero) in the M1, constantly changing heatsink orientation, fan directions, etc. When I went custom loop in the M1, it was 3-5 hours just to tinker with fan/loop configurations. It took so much time, yet soooo much fun. I’m back to dual 120 AIOs for simplicity sake, and to carry me through ongoing projects. Once my schedule opens up , I’ll go back to tinkering. :)

15. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

Yeah, I really enjoy tinkering, but I have zero free time to do it these days :( I'll hopefully be getting a new GPU at some point in the next few months, so that seems like as good a time as any to get the case opened up and start fiddling about with fans :)

16. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

That is why I ended up switching over to air cooling. I really liked my loop and I really like tinkering, but that tear down every time was just getting old.

17. Nathan Spears

Nathan Spears [H]Lite

Thought you guys might appreciate my build so I'm leaving it here:

Here's the build specs:
    * Ncase M1 V5
    * EVGA Z270 Stinger
    * i7-7700k (delidded)
    * 16 GB 3000Mhz Blue LED Vengeance RAM
    * 512GB m.2 NVME SSD - Samsung SM951
    * 1 TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
    * Corsair SF600 PSU
    * All Noctua slim fans
    * Nvidia GTX 1080 founders with EKWB copper (DVI removed - [PICS](https://imgur.com/a/FlsXm))
    * EK-DDC pump with upgraded housing (for better heat dissipation supposedly)
    * EK Evo Supremacy Acetal CPU block
    * 92mm rad - unknown manufacturer since I bought it used (think it is Hardware Labs)
    * 240mm slim rad from Hardware Labs
    * 12mm OD Bitspower fittings - black sparkle
    * Alphacool bulkhead fitting

Notes on the build:
    * was able to keep both the front IO (USB 3.0 and mic and headphone jack)
    * put in a drain port in the front using special Bitspower (T) and Alphacool (bulkhead) fittings
    * the only cables not either sleeved or shortened were the USB 3.0, Audio IO, and Darkside LED splitter
    * All Noctua fans were spray-painted to match color scheme
    * GTX 1080 wouldn't fit with the DVI connector so I took it out. Photos can be found [Here](https://imgur.com/a/FlsXm)
    * I originally had a 1080 TI, but I swapped it for a 1080 because I didn't like how hot my CPU was getting. Now temps on CPU are reaching mid 70s on load and GPU is at 60 at load.
    * only thing not done by me was the custom window panel. Josh from NFC systems helped me with that.
    I'm happy to answer any other questions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

That's a lot of plumbing in a small case! I don't think I've seen anyone else create a fill port in the front of the chassis. It makes perfect sense and is hidden behind the front cover panel.

Nathan Spears likes this.
  19. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

Yeah it's quite a good idea - being able to solidly anchor the tubing run at that far end. I'd probably feel safer filling the loop with the front panel protecting the innards from spills than through the top or bottom.

20. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

Hi guys, I'm getting custom cables and have a few questions regarding the Corsair SF600 power supply. If anyone has experience with this, input would be greatly appreciated.

My Asus 370I has a 8pin EPS power connector for the CPU. The SF600 comes with a 4+4 cable. Since my Asus mobo uses 8 pin, can I just buy a 8pin EPS cable or do I still have to get another 4+4 EPS cable like the corsair originally came with?

a similar question for the GPU connectors. I am using a EVGA 1080 ti SC2 and it has 8pin and a 6pin power connector. The SF600 came with two 6+2 cables. So I am using one as a 6pin and the other combined as a 8pin. Can I just order a straight 6pin and a 8pin PCIe power cable or will a 6pin PCIe cable not work with the 8pin PCIe socket on the SF600?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  21. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

They do the split 4+4 EPS and 6+2 PCI for higher compatibility but you don't have to use them. You can use the 8 Pin EPS and the 8 and 6 pin PCI with no problem.

xfan10 likes this.
  22. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Limp Gawd

*Nevermind, found the answer. Please delete.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  23. DGMurdockIII

DGMurdockIII Limp Gawd

NO I don't i just want a good manual to be made and eventually shipped with case one to show other case manufacturers that good documentation / manual is good and to give people a better understanding of case

24. Maxed

Maxed n00bie

So I got a great deal on a z370i strix board but it has a broken usb 3.0 header, so I just ordered this as a work around. I will report back with my results as I haven't seen this cable being used online.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  25. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Nice that someone makes that cable and you won't lose your usb 3.0.

26. Flgator

Flgator n00bie

Is there any plan to come out with a new version with usb type c included with the front panel? Quite a few mb manufacturers are including headers in the 270 and 370 versions of their mb’s. This is the only thing that is holding me up from purchasing one.

27. BaK2BaK

BaK2BaK [H]Lite

Hi guys,

I was wondering if the M1 owners using the magnetic filter (on the bracket fans) are happy with it.
    Is the mesh fine/small enough to stop the dust?
    Does it add noise to your fans?

28. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Just did a quick survey of Z270/Z370 ITX boards:

Board name : USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel header?

ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac: No
    ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac: No
    Asus ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming: Yes
    Gigabyte Z370N WIFI: No
    MSI Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC: No

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac: No
    ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac: No
    Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING: Yes
    EVGA Z270 Stinger: No
    Gigabyte GA-Z270N-Gaming 5: No
    Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WIFI: No
    MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC: No

So it looks like it's still just Asus that's including the Gen 2 front panel header.

Last that w360 looked into it, the production for Gen 2 front panel cables was all booked up.

29. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Gawd

Cross posting this from SFF Network: I just purchased a Morpheus 2, x2 Noctua 15mm fans, and some thermal compound. This Friday I'm tearing the stock blower cooler off my Vega and replacing with the Morpheus.

Still on the fence whether the Noctuas should push or pull air.

30. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Limp Gawd

Is there a way to mount a res/pump unit like this without drilling holes through the front panel? If not, perhaps the next version of the M1 could come with those holes?

31. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

Given that hardly anyone is doing USB 3.1 Gen 2 headers, regardless of form factor, I think it's going to be while before we see 3.1 Gen 2 USB-C appearing on many cases of any size. I'm certainly in no rush to see them introduced to the M1. I have a couple of USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports (USB-A, not C) on my motherboard's back panel, and they're perfectly adequate, and loads of USB A to USB C cables and adapters, so I can live quite happily without front panel 3.1 Gen 2 USB-C.

One thing that does occur, though: do front panel USB-A ports exist that can be hooked up to the USB 3.1 Gen 2 header on the Asus boards? That would at least give USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel functionality, and users could just use an A to C cable if required.

As an aside, I hate the USB naming convention. USB 3.1 Gen 2 is so clunky and I've got sick of typing it out just making this post. You can't just say "USB-C" instead, either, as USB-C is just the plug type rather than a speed standard. And don't get me started on motherboard manufacturers and their individual naming conventions - some refer to USB 3.1 when then mean USB 3.1 Gen 1, others use USB 3.0; some use USB 3.1 to mean USB 3.1 Gen 2. Then some mention USB-C when they mean USB 3.1 Gen 1 type-C, and finally some talk about USB-C when they mean USB 3.1 Gen 2 type-C. Such a terrible, terrible mess :)

Jspr likes this.
  32. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

How about USB31g2?

33. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Limp Gawd

Guys, if I use SFX-L in the M1, can I plug and unplug connectors without taking out the graphics card or the PSU? I know it's very tight.

34. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Gawd

How long is the graphics card?

The answer is almost definitely 'no'

35. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

You get get several commercially available pump mounts and just mount using 3M mounting tape. However, the weight of there res along with the pressure from the tubing would still make this fairly risky.

However, some reservoirs will come with mounting brackets. You could screw these into a plate and stick the plate to the backside of your PSU. This would require very little fabrication and would be fairly solid.
    The weight of the pump res is mostly in the liquid side so this solution makes sense.

[​IMG]

36. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

wahaha360 I was wondering when the 3.5 drive brackets will be available again on SFFLAB?

37. Shottie

Shottie n00bie

Yeah, I have been checking almost every day for a black panel set with no odd slot and they all came into stock except the one I want reeee.
    Any ETA on when that will be in stock?

38. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Gawd

Out with the old blower, in with the new giant heatsink. Vega 56 with Morpheus 2 cooler. x2 Noctua 15mm on exhaust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Nanook likes this.
  39. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Nice, how are the temps on that now?

40. wenrro

wenrro n00bie

Good night, and pleased to meet you all ^^

I've just received the ncase 3 days ago, but i need to order several parts for my build, and i'd like some advice:

Specs:

i7 8700k

Asus ROG Strix Z370 I Gaming

My "old" palit GTX 1060 6gb Dual (252mm x 112mm, no compatibility issue, right?) Will be replaced by an Nvidia Ampere card (2060/2070).

16gb ddr4 3200mhz corsair vengeance LP

CPU cooler: to be defined. Noctua NHD9L would be a good option for the 8700k?

PSU to be defined too: corsair sf600 or silverstone? I value a lot the ease to manage and bend cables.

I've looked over the data sheet on google drive, but i'm full of doubts. I'm afraid of the temps (and the the related noise of fans increasing rpms).

I love the case and i think i will enjoy more building than using it.

Thanks a lot! And pleased to meet you!

IdiotInCharge likes this.