NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

wow, glad I placed my order last week, I just saved 10$!

BTW I see it will ship on the 8th, I guess this mean I won't be able to receive in time to build during Holidays?

The cut off for order is tomorrow, I'm working on confirmation email now.

We reduced the shipping cost, so the total should be the same for most countries.

Last edited:
Where can you order the plugs to fill in the rear water cooling passthrough grommets? Any link to them would be appreciated since I don't know what they're called.

RX Vega 64 LCE (Liquid Cooled Edition) installed in a NCase M1 v5View attachment 45008

No issues powering that Vega64 liquid with the SF600? My SX450 is struggling to keep up with a plain old Vega 56. Keeps tripping the power surge protection on my Asus Impact motherboard... have to run the Vega in power savings mode.

No issues powering that Vega64 liquid with the SF600? My SX450 is struggling to keep up with a plain old Vega 56. Keeps tripping the power surge protection on my Asus Impact motherboard... have to run the Vega in power savings mode.

600w in a good powersupply should be enough for any shipping GPU, really. I've run SLI and Crossfire over the years on my aging 650w below, overclocking the cards and the CPUs...

3f813c0cf593daa2a82ac0029b07ed17.image.733x550.jpg

This is quite cool, full cover block for a MSI GTX 1070 Aero itx. https://www.bitspower.com/html/product/pro_show.php?products_id=5365

138mm so it would just fit. This would free up a lot of space for a pump/res.

does anyone know any good comparisons between using a Noctua NH-U9s dual fan configuration vs NH-C14s with two 120mm thin type fans on the side panel? Just trying to find out which one is the cooler option. Images below are for example of each layout.

Image by rdubs628

img_20160818_145250-jpg.6843

Image by linux.alucard

1R6cxc1.jpg

How many went with the ASUS Z370-I? I saw all 5 options from 4 brands and that's the one I planned to go with and I wanted to hear opinions of owners.

How many went with the ASUS Z370-I? I saw all 5 options from 4 brands and that's the one I planned to go with and I wanted to hear opinions of owners.

I did. Love it. No issues at all.

I1HAyph.jpg

Last edited:
does anyone know any good comparisons between using a Noctua NH-U9s dual fan configuration vs NH-C14s with two 120mm thin type fans on the side panel? Just trying to find out which one is the cooler option. Images below are for example of each layout.

I'm pretty sure the NH-C14s doesn't fit unless you fit the fan under the heatsink - See this thread
Edit:- The older C14 would fit in the way you pictured.

Am I asking for trouble with the following in an M1 v5? Purpose is web browsing and some gaming -- today's titles at 2560 x 1440. I don't want/need a hair dryer at idle,. Gaming I would expect some noise but not a leaf blower though/. I have an unused nzxt manta still in the box but feel it might be too big for me to really want it on my desk.

asus z370-i
corsair sf600
2 16gb corsair vengeance
h100i v2 AIO or x62 kraken
1080 ti founders edition rear blower card
m.2 1tb on mainboard
samsung 500gb evo ssd

Am I asking for trouble with the following in an M1 v5? Purpose is web browsing and some gaming -- today's titles at 2560 x 1440. I don't want/need a hair dryer at idle,. Gaming I would expect some noise but not a leaf blower though/. I have an unused nzxt manta still in the box but feel it might be too big for me to really want it on my desk.

asus z370-i
corsair sf600
2 16gb corsair vengeance
m.2 1tb on mainboard
samsung 500gb evo ssd
I'm going for very similar but air...

I need to find people with 8700K and NH-U9S, anyone here?
I might OC but not interested in 5GHz at all, my target is 4.6GHz.

good day, afternoon, night everyone (depending which part of the world you guys are!)

I have just ordered a V5 m1 from ncase.

This is the build i have in mind at the moment.

https://it.pcpartpicker.com/user/m4tte/saved/ksmQVn

I am not sure yet on the CPU cooler. Could anyone confirm that in the confined space above the cpu cooler noctua NHD9L (left on the sidepanel) i can stack a case fan of 25mm of height?
If this would be the case i would use this small tower cooler as i have had it in the past and it worked wonderfully for me. I have seen a couple of pictures in the ncase m1 user build guide that
shows one, but i cannot tell if the fan on top is a slim one (15mm) or not.

Otherwise i would probably opt for a tundra td02-slim with 25mm fans or a kraken x52/x42. The downside of the kraken is the tubing length. I am trying to strive for somewhat breathing space (in case of the aio) inside the case with 2 fans on the side

i am avoiding custom water cooling.

Thanks for your help.

I'm pretty sure the NH-C14s doesn't fit unless you fit the fan under the heatsink - See this thread

Last December StrawKite posted photos of his build which included the NH-C14S with a slim Silverstone FW121 fan mounted above it on the side bracket and a 25 mm thick Noctua 120 mm fan (NF-F12?) underneath the heatsink fins. You have to click the "Spoiler" buttons to reveal his build details and photos. StrawKite reported that he had great CPU temperatures.

One consequence of the NH-C14S is that it extends into the front half of the case. This means the drive cage cannot be used and an SFX power supply has to be mounted in the ATX power supply bracket. Not all SFX power supplies come with the necessary SFX to ATX adapter plate.

Last edited:

asus z370-i
corsair sf600
2 16gb corsair vengeance
m.2 1tb on mainboard
samsung 500gb evo ssd

Looks like that motherboard has a usb 2.0 header so you should be okay with either cooler. Need to specify though, you'd want the Kraken x52 since the x62 is a 2x140 and it will not fit.
I had a 1080ti founder edition, and even under cherry picked ambient room temperatures the noise became unbearable. I'm aware these cases were designed with blower style cards in mind, but they're just too loud and they always reach 83C+.

I'd highly recommend getting a dual slot card as well as installing two fans underneath. Yeah, it increases the temps inside the case a bit, but it's worth it to not have a leaf blower next to you all the time.

good day, afternoon, night everyone (depending which part of the world you guys are!)

I am not sure yet on the CPU cooler. Could anyone confirm that in the confined space above the cpu cooler noctua NHD9L (left on the sidepanel) i can stack a case fan of 25mm of height?
If this would be the case i would use this small tower cooler as i have had it in the past and it worked wonderfully for me. I have seen a couple of pictures in the ncase m1 user build guide that

Otherwise i would probably opt for a tundra td02-slim with 25mm fans or a kraken x52/x42. The downside of the kraken is the tubing length. I am trying to strive for somewhat breathing space (in case of the aio) inside the case with 2 fans on the side

Thanks for your help.

According to Noctua's sepcifications for the NH-D9L, the height of this cooler is 110 mm. This leaves only 20 mm between the top of the cooler and the side bracket so a 25 mm thick fan will not fit. However, Noctua's new slim (15 mm thick) fan, the NF-A12x15 PWM gotten good reviews in SFF forums so this maybe an option for you. Still, wouldn't the NH-D9L (95 mm x 95 mm cross-sectional dimensions) almost completely block any 120 mm fan mounted above it?

Thanks for your help.

The Noctua is 110mm tall and you only have 130mm clearance, so you can't use a 25mm fan. You could use a slim fan there. Using a 25mm fan on the right side of the side bracket works well for feeding cool air to the cooler and cooling the motherboard.

Reactions: Qrash
like this
I had a 1080ti founder edition, and even under cherry picked ambient room temperatures the noise became unbearable. I'm aware these cases were designed with blower style cards in mind, but they're just too loud and they always reach 83C+.
Many questions here because I'm planning on a blower type and I believe it should work if it can pick fresh air and make use of a fan curve. I've seen some builds with a fan at the bottom thinking that could get fresh air in but so close the the blower I believe it's more a nuisance than benefit so that could be an issue if you had this setup. With a fan curve you should also be good to limit to 45%.

The Noctua is 110mm tall and you only have 130mm clearance, so you can't use a 25mm fan. You could use a slim fan there. Using a 25mm fan on the right side of the side bracket works well for feeding cool air to the cooler and cooling the motherboard.

Yes, I've researched all the measured lengths thanks. I wanted to ask if someone physically tried to adapt a 25" fan on top.

Anything to add on a possible kraken x52/42 by experience or tundra slim?

Again, thanks for the prompt replies and your suggestions :)

Has anyone delidded a coffee lake i7 8700k yet? Does the same tool of sky lake works for you?

Still, wouldn't the NH-D9L (95 mm x 95 mm cross-sectional dimensions) almost completely block any 120 mm fan mounted above it?

According to some pictures I've found on the M1 builds it shouldn't. I will try to recover that picture and post it here.

Many questions here because I'm planning on a blower type and I believe it should work if it can pick fresh air and make use of a fan curve. I've seen some builds with a fan at the bottom thinking that could get fresh air in but so close the the blower I believe it's more a nuisance than benefit so that could be an issue if you had this setup. With a fan curve you should also be good to limit to 45%.

I tried a 1080ti founders edition in a cherry picked room. What I mean by that is, I have a 12000 BTU window unit in my office that I keep cranked when my computer is under load. Ambient temps around 18C. Didn't matter what I did, the founders edition card would hit 83c even without a fan curve. The fans would full spin and it would still hit max temps and clock down. Applying a fan curve to alleviate the noise would worsen the clock speeds even more. I tried one NF F12 under the blower, didn't help. I tried two fans, didn't help. I tried no fans, didn't help. It was stupid loud under any kind of load. So much so, that I sold it for a loss and bought another 1080ti - SC black edition, and that completely solved all my problems.

Now I have the fan speed at a static 35% and I never go above 75C - and I also can't hear it at all.

Yes, I've researched all the measured lengths thanks. I wanted to ask if someone physically tried to adapt a 25" fan on top.

Anything to add on a possible kraken x52/42 by experience or tundra slim?

Again, thanks for the prompt replies and your suggestions :)

Has anyone delidded a coffee lake i7 8700k yet? Does the same tool of sky lake works for you?

I just did my 8700k, I used the Rocket 88 and it works with 1150/1151 sockets. The Coffee Lake is physically identical to Skylake, as far as size and shape of the CPU.

I tried a 1080ti founders edition in a cherry picked room. What I mean by that is, I have a 12000 BTU window unit in my office that I keep cranked when my computer is under load. Ambient temps around 18C. Didn't matter what I did, the founders edition card would hit 83c even without a fan curve. The fans would full spin and it would still hit max temps and clock down. Applying a fan curve to alleviate the noise would worsen the clock speeds even more. I tried one NF F12 under the blower, didn't help. I tried two fans, didn't help. I tried no fans, didn't help. It was stupid loud under any kind of load. So much so, that I sold it for a loss and bought another 1080ti - SC black edition, and that completely solved all my problems.

Now I have the fan speed at a static 35% and I never go above 75C - and I also can't hear it at all.
What fan setup are you running with that 1080Ti SC? Exhausts on the bottom of the case?

I tried a 1080ti founders edition in a cherry picked room. What I mean by that is, I have a 12000 BTU window unit in my office that I keep cranked when my computer is under load. Ambient temps around 18C. Didn't matter what I did, the founders edition card would hit 83c even without a fan curve. The fans would full spin and it would still hit max temps and clock down. Applying a fan curve to alleviate the noise would worsen the clock speeds even more.
Maybe the card was defective? What I mean is that they sell the card like this so it should work. As long as the blower suck air at ambiant room temp (21-23C) then it should give results like found in many reviews. I've read noise was between 41-50 DBa.

Was it like this?

Anyone successfully running a blower type 1080 Ti?
If so, what about noise on load? Fan curve or full auto?

Maybe the card was defective? What I mean is that they sell the card like this so it should work. As long as the blower suck air at ambiant room temp (21-23C) then it should give results like found in many reviews. I've read noise was between 41-50 DBa.

Was it like this?

Yes, it was like that.

For some perspective, it was so loud that I could hear it over my 12000 BTU window unit while listening to my HD650's. That video was an open air bench. Imagine when it's inside a case that has limited airflow.

That video was an open air bench. Imagine when it's inside a case that has limited airflow.
Yes... a bit scary. Let's see if a few here have one like I asked in the post above, to share with us how it is.

All my build was planned to not have heated air circulating in the case thus a blower type which exhaust all hot air outside looked optimal to me and I was sure the card would run fin with fan at 45% max. I'm actually doing this with a 660 Ti but of course TDP is not the same so I have no idea. A user told me he runs his 1080 Ti with fan at 45% max and all is fine so I have hope, or I had hope, I'm lost now, I need real world inputs!

This is the picture i was referring to, i looked for any be quiet slim fan but i couldnt find any, that is why i have asked my original question :). It seems that a 25" fan could fit and i was looking for someone to confirm it.

vaL5a7S.jpg

White mem like me! Corsair Vengeance? What speed? 2666 or XMP? What CPU? OC? Easy?
Yep, corsair Vengeance 2666 i7 8600 locked. The K chip TDP was nearly double from 65w to 95w and OC on top of that just generates too much heat and wear and tear for my taste and a handful of fps wasn't worth it for me. had no issues at all except for the corsair SF600 sata power cable not being usable when mounting a SDD on the inner and outer front. needs a more streamlined connector to work when connecting both drives.

This is the picture i was referring to, i looked for any be quiet slim fan but i couldnt find any, that is why i have asked my original question :). It seems that a 25" fan could fit and i was looking for someone to confirm it.

View attachment 45355

I didn't think that be quiet! made slim 120 mm fans. I have no idea how that fits.

Last December StrawKite posted photos of his build which included the NH-C14S with a slim Silverstone FW121 fan mounted above it on the side bracket and a 25 mm thick Noctua 120 mm fan (NF-F12?) underneath the heatsink fins. You have to click the "Spoiler" buttons to reveal his build details and photos. StrawKite reported that he had great CPU temperatures.

On consequence of the NH-C14S is that it extends into the front half of the case. This means the drive cage cannot be used and an SFX power supply has to be mounted in the ATX power supply bracket. Not all SFX power supplies come with the necessary SFX to ATX adapter plate.

oh the c14s fits, its what I am using now but its a pain to work with if I need to get to the motherboard and wondered how the NH-U9s would do temp wise. I am using 2 slim fans on top. no fan under neath. CPU load is 55c-57c

AV7u6Af.jpg

View attachment 45355

I checked the be quiet! site and I couldn't find a thickness listed for any of their fans, only if they are 120mm or 140mm. I have a Dark Rock TF so I measured the fans on it, they are indeed 20mm thick. Now I don't know if all of their fans are 20mm or just some of them. The ones pictured would just fit with the Noctua if they were 20mm.

I checked the be quiet! site and I couldn't find a thickness listed for any of their fans, only if they are 120mm or 140mm. I have a Dark Rock TF so I measured the fans on it, they are indeed 20mm thick. Now I don't know if all of their fans are 20mm or just some of them. The ones pictured would just fit with the Noctua if they were 20mm.

Hey, rfarmer! I think we're following the same trail! On the be quiet! website I examined the datasheet for the Dark Rock TF and it lists the Silent Wings fans as 135 mm models with a thickness of 22 mm. The datasheet for the Silent Wings 3 fans (in the Downloads tab) doesn't list a 135 mm model or a model that isn't 25 mm thick. So, I think the author of the above build must be using the 22 mm thick fans from a be quiet heatsink such as the Dark Rock TF.

Hey, rfarmer! I think we're following the same trail! On the be quiet! website I examined the datasheet for the Dark Rock TF and it lists the Silent Wings fans as 135 mm models with a thickness of 22 mm. The datasheet for the Silent Wings 3 fans (in the Downloads tab) doesn't list a 135 mm model or a model that isn't 25 mm thick. So, I think the author of the above build must be using the 22 mm thick fans from a be quiet heatsink such as the Dark Rock TF.

I was thinking the same thing, the 135mm seems to be a specialized fan for the Dark Rock.

Back