NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

rasesh

Weaksauce
I'm in the US and it took about 4 weeks to get my cables from AliExpress.
My AliExpress order went in 9/27 and according to tracking it should arrive next week, so about a month for US orders. However, the seller contacted me yesterday and said they shipped the wrong item and are resending the correct set of cables. Wonder what I’m going to get this week?

I’m not too concerned as I’m still waiting for a Coffee Lake 6-core cpu and I’ve had the M1 for about 9 months - a little longer won’t hurt I guess.

Did you guys have to do some "verification" process for an account on aliexpress b showing a picture of your credit card to do them and stuff?
Also, is it possible you can pay for faster shipping to get it in 1-2 weeks in stead of a month?

Thanks.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Did you guys have to do some "verification" process for an account on aliexpress b showing a picture of your credit card to do them and stuff?
Also, is it possible you can pay for faster shipping to get it in 1-2 weeks in stead of a month?

Thanks.
I just input my CC information, there is expedited shipping but the price rises quickly.

Guys, I stumbled on this image:

It's an NF-A15 (140x150mm fan with 120mm mounting holes), mounted next to an NF-F12 on the M1's side bracket. To do this, the two fans have to be mounted as far apart as possible on the bracket. So this got me thinking... Would it be possible to do a 140mm + 120mm dual AIO? E.g. Kraken X42 + EVGA's Hybrid Kit. Or would the radiators be too close and not have enough clearance? You'd need an adapter plate to mount the 140mm AIO to the 120mm holes on the NF-A15. I think it would definitely be possible if you went push on one and pull on the other, but that wouldn't look great.

The other question is would it be worth it... A 140mm AIO gives you 36% more surface area, which is not negligible. But it would certainly make things even more crammed, which a dual AIO setup already is.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd

It's an NF-A15 (140x150mm fan with 120mm mounting holes), mounted next to an NF-F12 on the M1's side bracket. To do this, the two fans have to be mounted as far apart as possible on the bracket. So this got me thinking... Would it be possible to do a 140mm + 120mm dual AIO? E.g. Kraken X42 + EVGA's Hybrid Kit. Or would the radiators be too close and not have enough clearance? You'd need an adapter plate to mount the 140mm AIO to the 120mm holes on the NF-A15. I think it would definitely be possible if you went push on one and pull on the other, but that wouldn't look great.

The other question is would it be worth it... A 140mm AIO gives you 36% more surface area, which is not negligible. But it would certainly make things even more crammed, which a dual AIO setup already is.
The 140mm fan has 120mm mounting holes, but I don't think you will find a 140mm AIO with the same mounting holes. From what I have seen 2 X 120mm AIOs is very snug in the M1, I would think the 140mm would make it really tough/impossible.

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
Just eject disc by right clicking on the ODD icon in your OS.
Yeah currently that's the only way to eject that I'm aware of. Got to do it through the software as they say which really isnt a big deal. The Silverstone model is really a rebranded Panasonic unit.

The 140mm fan has 120mm mounting holes, but I don't think you will find a 140mm AIO with the same mounting holes. From what I have seen 2 X 120mm AIOs is very snug in the M1, I would think the 140mm would make it really tough/impossible.
You would use adapters or an adapter bracket, I have some from my Noctua C14. But yes, it would be really tight. I would like to see someone try though...

rasesh

Weaksauce
Any Canadian here who've been shopping somewhere recently and saw grey or dark grey zip ties?
I only see black and white one's everywhere I go.

Also, what slim optical drive do ya'll use on your Ncase M1's?

Let me know if you see any around.
Thanks!

Nanook

Limp Gawd

I’ve done that before with that same 140 fan on a 120 radiator, next to a second 120 radiator with a 120 fan. I think I had to somehow rig the fan onto the radiators. The radiators were screwed onto the bracket. I think a 140 radiator would be too tall or wide (for two fans).

Nanook

Limp Gawd
Any Canadian here who've been shopping somewhere recently and saw grey or dark grey zip ties?
I only see black and white one's everywhere I go.

Also, what slim optical drive do ya'll use on your Ncase M1's?

Let me know if you see any around.
Thanks!
This is the one I use:
Silverstone 12.7mm SATA Interface Slot Load 6X Blu-Ray Writer with 8X CD/DVD RW Drive (SOB02)

I don’t use the drive anymore though. It’s in a different rig.

BaK2BaK

Weaksauce
Last edited:

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanx!
The res is an Alphacool mini water tank, but has been discontinued because there is no baffle in it and its IN and OUT ports are aligned, which is not good to get rid of bubbles. I've found a solution for that though.

Some teasers, build log here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/black-copper-ncase-m1.1313/

That is a snug little build, well done. It is a shame you can't get the short PCB GPUs anymore with full waterblocks. Sure does open up some space on the side.

BaK2BaK

Weaksauce
That is a snug little build, well done. It is a shame you can't get the short PCB GPUs anymore with full waterblocks. Sure does open up some space on the side.
Thanx!
Yep, I guess a short PCB GPU is almost the only to way to fit a D5 pump in there.
Maybe full blocks will be available again for next gen short GPUs...

Boil

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanx!
Yep, I guess a short PCB GPU is almost the only to way to fit a D5 pump in there.
Maybe full blocks will be available again for next gen short GPUs...
Only short PCB GPU I could see anyone making a dedicated full cover water block for would be the (rumored, but as yet released) RX Vega Nano...

ptirmal

Weaksauce
Finally got the liquid metal (CooLaboratory Liquid Ultra).

Applied:

Installed, new PWM CPU fan, Noctua A15, 150mm fan that has 120mm screw holes, in my case held in place with zip ties...

Results:
-Previously the Intel stress test that had me at ~70c running 4.0GHz with the 140mm Noctua at full speed which was quite audible.
-Reran the test and I'm around 56-58c with the fan hitting 1100RPM (max 1200RPM), I would say the difference in fan noise is basically like this fan isn't even running, I can't hear it. While gaming max temp was under 60c.

I'd say this is a pretty big success.

Next up, Arctic Accelero III install.

Qrash

Gawd
Finally got the liquid metal (CooLaboratory Liquid Ultra).

Applied:

Installed, new PWM CPU fan, Noctua A15, 150mm fan that has 120mm screw holes, in my case held in place with zip ties...

Results:
-Previously the Intel stress test that had me at ~70c running 4.0GHz with the 140mm Noctua at full speed which was quite audible.
-Reran the test and I'm around 56-58c with the fan hitting 1100RPM (max 1200RPM), I would say the difference in fan noise is basically like this fan isn't even running, I can't hear it. While gaming max temp was under 60c.

I'd say this is a pretty big success.

Next up, Arctic Accelero III install.
That's a huge improvement in CPU temperatures. Good luck with the Accelero III.

ptirmal

Weaksauce
Thanks! With some more fans and fan curve tuning I'm hoping to bump up the overclock.

I just realized the Noctua A12x15 I ordered from Amazon was the FLX version not he PWM. Looking around it looks like everyone is out of the PWM version, some saying it might not be restocked. Didn't these just come out this year?

Thinking of canceling the FLX and waiting for the PWM, I was planning on using it on the side bracket blowing towards the PSU for additional airflow for the CPU and GPU (GPU fans, 2 X NF-F12, will exhaust through the bottom). Anyone have any input?

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks! With some more fans and fan curve tuning I'm hoping to bump up the overclock.

I just realized the Noctua A12x15 I ordered from Amazon was the FLX version not he PWM. Looking around it looks like everyone is out of the PWM version, some saying it might not be restocked. Didn't these just come out this year?

Thinking of canceling the FLX and waiting for the PWM, I was planning on using it on the side bracket blowing towards the PSU for additional airflow for the CPU and GPU (GPU fans will exhaust through the bottom). Anyone have any input?
It comes with low noise adapters that will give you 3 different fan speeds, 2000, 1650 and 1200 rpm. Seeing as it is a case fan and not a CPU fan I would just give it a try, see which speed works best for noise to performance.

ptirmal

Weaksauce
Thanks!
It comes with low noise adapters that will give you 3 different fan speeds, 2000, 1650 and 1200 rpm. Seeing as it is a case fan and not a CPU fan I would just give it a try, see which speed works best for noise to performance.
Yea I know it comes adapters. What you said is why I want PWM, so I don't have to choose...performance when I need it and quiet otherwise.

Last edited:

Qrash

Gawd
Thanks!

Yea I know it comes adapters. What you said is why I want PWM, so I don't have to choose...performance when I need it and quiet otherwise.
Check your motherboard manual to see if it provides voltage control for non-PWM fans. If so, the FLEX version may be fine.

Alternatively, Newegg Canada lists the NF-A12x15 PWM as in stock, but I don't know if they will ship to the US or what extra costs that would entail.

ptirmal

Weaksauce
Check your motherboard manual to see if it provides voltage control for non-PWM fans. If so, the FLEX version may be fine.

Alternatively, Newegg Canada lists the NF-A12x15 PWM as in stock, but I don't know if they will ship to the US or what extra costs that would entail.
Unfortunately motherboard doesn't do it, I tried with my NF-P14, it's what drove the NF-A15 PWM purchase. Amazon Canada isn't showing in stock for me. I could buy it overpriced from eBay but I'd rather not. Was wondering if someone knew anything about their stock.

Nathan Spears

Weaksauce
Thanx!
The res is an Alphacool mini water tank, but has been discontinued because there is no baffle in it and its IN and OUT ports are aligned, which is not good to get rid of bubbles. I've found a solution for that though.

Some teasers, build log here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/black-copper-ncase-m1.1313/
Very impressive!

Do you have any recommendations for a small reservoir like the Alphacool one? If not, how did you manage to get rid of the air bubbles in the mini water tank? I'm looking to watercool my HPTC. Just finished with my Ncase, although still waiting on my windowed side panel from a SFF modder so I can do its glamour shots.

Smitty2k1

Gawd

Thinking of canceling the FLX and waiting for the PWM, I was planning on using it on the side bracket blowing towards the PSU for additional airflow for the CPU and GPU (GPU fans, 2 X NF-F12, will exhaust through the bottom). Anyone have any input?

I see the PWM version in stock at Amazon.com right now??
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Quality-Cooling-NF-A15-PWM/dp/B00AED7XFI

(In fact, you got me excited so I just bought one for my 4770k and C12P cooler)

Last edited:

Chapeau

Gawd
Very impressive!

Do you have any recommendations for a small reservoir like the Alphacool one? If not, how did you manage to get rid of the air bubbles in the mini water tank? I'm looking to watercool my HPTC. Just finished with my Ncase, although still waiting on my windowed side panel from a SFF modder so I can do its glamour shots.

The small bubbles should disappear on their own after a few days. I have found that just running it ( I normally bench the computer after each rebuild just for fun ) helps to get rid of lingering bubbles. When I remember I give it a a quick run at 100% pump speed and you can usually hear the lingering pockets disappear under the increase flow. I'd say it takes 3 days for mine to be totally clear of bubbles...

Alternatively you can connect a truncated t-line to the end of your reservoir and top it up from there also...

ptirmal

Weaksauce
I see the PWM version in stock at Amazon.com right now??
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Quality-Cooling-NF-A15-PWM/dp/B00AED7XFI

(In fact, you got me excited so I just bought one for my 4770k and C12P cooler)
A12x15 PWM is what I was talking about, already have the A15. I was looking for the slim because I thought the A15 would encroach the right side fan bracket, so I'd need a slim fan over there.

But, I just checked clearance and I can actually fit regular 120mm fan on the side bracket, the cooler fan is far enough to the left. Looks like I'll be getting an NF-S12A to use as a case fan :).

BaK2BaK

Weaksauce
Very impressive!

Just finished with my Ncase, although still waiting on my windowed side panel from a SFF modder so I can do its glamour shots.
Thanx, your NCase build is not bad either, well done! Looking forward for more pics!

Do you have any recommendations for a small reservoir like the Alphacool one?
Small res are not that common unfortunately.
The Swiftech Micro one is your best bet I guess: http://www.swiftech.com/mcresmicrorev2reservoir.aspx

If not, how did you manage to get rid of the air bubbles in the mini water tank? I'm looking to watercool my HPTC.
It was indeed a bit tricky with the mini water tank upside down (I flipped it over in order to have the fill port downward, making it the outlet port. With the right port as inlet, they are no more aligned, which lets the bubbles go up in the reservoir).
So I had to flip the case to let the bubbles go to the left port and out of the loop: https://imgur.com/a/mP3Ma#LL1Suss
Flipping the case is anyway a good thing to displace bubbles trapped in some places of the loop.

dreesi

n00b
A12x15 PWM is what I was talking about, already have the A15. I was looking for the slim because I thought the A15 would encroach the right side fan bracket, so I'd need a slim fan over there.

But, I just checked clearance and I can actually fit regular 120mm fan on the side bracket, the cooler fan is far enough to the left. Looks like I'll be getting an NF-S12A to use as a case fan :).
Had the same problem in germany. Ordered at 2 distributors, delivery date changed from october to early december. Got lucky and got 2x fans from ebay (I think from the official noctua shop on ebay).

keshley

Weaksauce
I ordered mine from the Noctua Ebay shop too. Bit more money spent on shipping, but they arrived quickly.

Smitty2k1

Gawd

Ah... I thought a few pages back you were looking to replace your old 140mm fan on your C12P heatsink with the newer A15. My confusion

ptirmal

Weaksauce
Got my Arctic Accelero installed with 2 X NF-F12 exhausting. I think I have to take it apart and redo the thermal paste because it's not being cooled well enough under load even when the fans are at 100%.

Is there anything specific that I need to be on the lookout for? Lining up the backing plate with the screws and spacers is a pain. I'm using an Asus turbo 1070 and I just used the thermal paste on the already applied to the heatsink after cleaning off the old stuff from the die.

Edit: Had the spacers installed incorrectly leaving no contact with the GPU die, fixed it and wow. Fans don't even come on for the first bit of gaming, so far I've seen 65c max with the fans much quieter. What's even more awesome is the CPU temp, I'm probably down another 10c with this setup! It's not a fair comparison because it's not closed up completely but it didn't even break 50c during the Intel stress test. I need to clean up the wires and put the filters in place but I'm super happy with this upgrade. Next up, upgrade the PSU to the SF600 and custom length cables, it's very packed with the stiff Silverstone cables at stock length.

Last edited:

keshley

Weaksauce
The Accelero really is an awesome piece of kit, and seems custom made for the M1. I haven't seen a bad report yet, once it's installed and working.

ptirmal

Weaksauce
The Accelero really is an awesome piece of kit, and seems custom made for the M1. I haven't seen a bad report yet, once it's installed and working.
Yea, if you can fit it! It's a pain without custom cables or at least flexible cables. The ones that come with the Silverstone SFX are too stiff. I think my next project is doing the cabling myself.

keshley

Weaksauce
I need to redo my cables, my next project. I had one come apart, le sigh. Going to crimp and solder this time, instead of just crimp.

ptirmal

Weaksauce
How it stands now:

Going to have to do a little more work to get the side 120mm fan on with that bunch of cables taking up a lot of room.

Nathan Spears

Weaksauce
I need to redo my cables, my next project. I had one come apart, le sigh. Going to crimp and solder this time, instead of just crimp.
You shouldn't need to crimp AND solder if your crimps are correct. A little old, but Lutro0 customs has some good videos on Youtube if you need help.