NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

That looks a good find. The Noiseblocker brand has a good reputation. Why did you not use it?

I notice that it is not a PWM fan. Lately I have read many posts that express a preference for PWM control versus Voltage control. Either should work fine, right?

Qrash that comes from changing my mind on final build. Initially I was going to use a 240mm AIO and use the 92mm fan as rear exhaust, ended up doing full watercooling and have the FrozenQ reservoir mounted in that spot. I was originally using a fan controller so the 3 pin was fine for my needs.

This one matches both black and coolant colours:
3thItEXm.jpg

GELID FN-FW09-20 :D

Voltage control is fine, only drawback I see is that some fans will not start at low voltage

That one would be perfect with his build, I was thinking green/black sleeved cables would also look awesome.

I think the general consensus being reached by NCASE M1 owners on this thread, whether that's heat generated from CPU or GPU, is to...
GET THAT HEAT OUT OF THE CASE IMMEDIATELY AT THE SOURCE AND DON'T RELY ON CASE-INTERNAL AIRFLOW that we take for granted in ordinary cases.
Your post above on using bottom fans as exhaust for GPU is a good example.

I realize that. It's not like my two fans are doing anything different than yours: they are pointed the same way. Only difference is that your extra fan is conneced to the back rather than the heatsink itself, and I was wondering whether you had tried both methods to see which gave better results. Because despite probably moving air out of the case better, it may not move the warm air from the heatsink itself better.

La_Menthe would have to confirm, but it looks like that shroud may come off without you having to do much at all. Let alone touch the warranty/stickers that ASUS cards are notorious for.

Taking of the fan shroud is easy. You only need to take out the three screws at the side and three (or four, I don’t remember) screws for each of the three fans. If anything happens to your card, you just reapply the shroud.

I notice that it is not a PWM fan. Lately I have read many posts that express a preference for PWM control versus Voltage control. Either should work fine, right?
Problem with voltage is fixed top speeds. But unless you use Speed Fan, you can end up with a lot of problems with PWM too. The reason for this is shitty software from the manufacturers. Generally, motherboard BIOSes forcibly turn fans to 100% when the CPU reaches 80C. As do certain GPU tools, despite the fact that temperatures for both CPUs and CPUs are actually safe up to 100C (I am often humoured by people in here og write that they are worried their GPUs are getting too hot at 60-70C).

I attached my two Noctua fans to the extra fan headers for the Strix card, and I won't be doing it again. ASUS GPU TWEAK puts a minimum fan speed at 50%, and ramps it up to 100% at 80C (one of the reasons why I often . This means that my fans can be either 0 RPM, 750 RPM or 1500 RPM at all times. The worst part is the constant ramping up of the speed of the fans. Especially at idle, when the GPU very quickly can reach over 65C (minimal value for fans to start running).

That’s why it’s essential to learn how to use Speed Fan, so that you can better control and adjust your desired settings for your fans.

Does anybody know about any GTX 1080s with bigger heatsinks than the Strix that can fit the NCASE without the shroud? I'm also thinking about ordering som zip ties and find out a way to attack the fans to the heatsink of the GPU itself, to more effectively move away the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking of the fan shroud is easy. You only need to take out the three screws at the side and three (or four, I don’t remember) screws for each of the three fans. If anything happens to your card, you just reapply the shroud.

Does anybody know about any GTX 1080s with bigger heatsinks than the Strix that can fit the NCASE without the shroud? I'm also thinking about ordering som zip ties and find out a way to attack the fans to the heatsink of the GPU itself, to more effectively move away the heat.

You have the 1080 Strix (non-Ti)? I wonder how the temps are with the Ti. You said you're reaching about high 70's C?

You can add some foam-ish material on the sides of the fan in between the GPU heatsink and your bottom fans. That way the air would pass through the heatinks and not from the side.. at least that's my guess.

Because despite probably moving air out of the case better, it may not move the warm air from the heatsink itself better.

I see your point.
Unfortunately, no, I haven't tried putting the second fan on the NH-U9S yet. But I'll give it a try at a later date and post results.

[EDIT[
Okay, I've ran some tests using Prime95 Small FFTs

78C - Fan on back, single fan on NH-U9S
81C - Two fan on NH-U9S (pull/push), no fan on back.

I could actually feel that there was less hot air being blow out of the back of the case with the two fan config.

Last edited:
You have the 1080 Strix (non-Ti)? I wonder how the temps are with the Ti. You said you're reaching about high 70's C?

You can add some foam-ish material on the sides of the fan in between the GPU heatsink and your bottom fans. That way the air would pass through the heatinks and not from the side.. at least that's my guess.

Yes, high 70's. I'm not sure about the Ti though. I do know that it has a bigger heatsink that is also closer to the fans. As mentioned, I would like to attach my fans to the heatsink to see whether the temperatures will drop or not. Only problem is the sheer challenge/paint in taking in and out the Strix GPU...

I'm not sure how I would add a foam, how it would work and how it would look. But having some kind of a duct/plate to suppres airflow from the sides sure would be a nice thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many options coming out for psu, I love it.

I hhave the silverstone gold 600, should I look at upgrading to say a corsair or enermax?

I've had the Corsair SF450 for nearly a year now and it has been great. The SF600 seems to be the popular choice atm and most users really seem to like them, there have been reports of units with overly loud fans though.

I've had the Corsair SF450 for nearly a year now and it has been great. The SF600 seems to be the popular choice atm and most users really seem to like them, there have been reports of units with overly loud fans though.
Yeah. Corsair seems to be a lottery.
I had one SF450 with a very loud fan (and it didn't shut off even after going back to idle), and another that's just fine.

And there is this admirable thread where people have been modding their Corsair PSU's with the nice quiet Noctua fans. Totally reversible with just a small jumper cable required ( off the shelf too mind you!)

I'm tempted to mod the remaining SF450 (and have already modded my SX-700 LPT) but digging around in a power supply is a bit scary/tricky.

Managed to get my hand on a used Noctua C14 with Noctua P12 after having built my NCASE with a Noctua C14S and a Silverstone FW121.

In term of temperature performance both are hitting max 87° with a 7700k non delidded after 20mn of Prime95. The C14 is not better than the C14s.

The difference is in the noise, at the max RPM the FW121 is loud where the P12 at max RPM is more quiet.
But if you put a low noise adaptor on the FW121 and you add a Noctua P12 on pull under the C14s the noise and performance are similar. Very small noise advantage to the C14 with the P12 tough at max RPM, idle you don't have a difference.
Unfortunately I don't have a sonometer to take precise measure of the noise.

I also tried to put a second Noctua P12 on the fan bracket with the C14 and it didn't change the max temperature still 87°C.

C14S:

C14 with one Noctua P12

C14 with two Noctua P12 side by side.

I'm going to delid the CPU during the weekend and post back the result.

Managed to get my hand on a used Noctua C14 with Noctua P12 after having built my NCASE with a Noctua C14S and a Silverstone FW121.

In term of temperature performance both are hitting max 87° with a 7700k non delidded after 20mn of Prime95. The C14 is not better than the C14s.

The difference is in the noise, at the max RPM the FW121 is loud where the P12 at max RPM is more quiet.
But if you put a low noise adaptor on the FW121 and you add a Noctua P12 on pull under the C14s the noise and performance are similar. Very small noise advantage to the C14 with the P12 tough at max RPM, idle you don't have a difference.
Unfortunately I don't have a sonometer to take precise measure of the noise.

I also tried to put a second Noctua P12 on the fan bracket with the C14 and it didn't change the max temperature still 87°C.

C14S:

C14 with one Noctua P12

C14 with two Noctua P12 side by side.

I'm going to delid the CPU during the weekend and post back the result.

Awesome work. It's always interesting to see stuff like this. Very interested to see how the delid improves things.
Are you going to use CLU? Ditto for between the IHS and heatsink?

CLU for the die and Kryonaut for the heatsink, I'll get the eletrical tape to cover the pin near the die under the IHS tomorrow

I'm looking to replace my GTX 780 with something a little more powerful since I upgraded from a 1080p monitor to a 1440p ultra wide.

Are blower style GPUs still the preferred cooler method? Running an air cooled CPU and don't have any HDDs or anything on the bottom of the case under the GPU.

I'm looking to replace my GTX 780 with something a little more powerful since I upgraded from a 1080p monitor to a 1440p ultra wide.

Are blower style GPUs still the preferred cooler method? Running an air cooled CPU and don't have any HDDs or anything on the bottom of the case under the GPU.

What CPU cooler do you have? Open air cards work great if you have a way of getting the air they put out, out of the case.

Going to get some better pictures, but I picked up some of the mnpctech feet and GPU support. I sprang for the sli GPU supports as they are not as tall as the other ones. The regular one wouldn't fit due to my fittings being the way, the sli one though fits like a dream.

Gives the 3rd pci slot a nice finished look, and keeps my heavy alphacool block from sagging.
The feet are great too, nice rubber bottoms and they raise the case up a bit more than the stock ones.

https://mnpctech.com/gpu-support-bracket/#/product/886

IMG_20170505_205416.jpg IMG_20170505_205446.jpg

Going to get some better pictures, but I picked up some of the mnpctech feet and GPU support. I sprang for the sli GPU supports as they are not as tall as the other ones. The regular one wouldn't fit due to my fittings being the way, the sli one though fits like a dream.

Gives the 3rd pci slot a nice finished look, and keeps my heavy alphacool block from sagging.
The feet are great too, nice rubber bottoms and they raise the case up a bit more than the stock ones.

https://mnpctech.com/gpu-support-bracket/#/product/886

View attachment 24387 View attachment 24388

Thanks for posting this - I never knew this kind of thing existed!

Any suggestions for a large top-down air cooler for the M1? The NH-C14 is impossible to find now and I've flirted with the idea of a Dark Rock TF but hear conflicting things about fitment in the M1.

I'm really disappointed with the cooling for this case so far as I can't seem to get a stable overclock above 4.4ghz on my 6600K. I moved my components from a Silverstone SG08-lite which had a 180MM top down cooling fan. That build was inaudible from 10ft away while gaming and gave me stable overclocks above 4.5ghz. I have a Noctua NH-U9S and it keeps temps under 80C but is really loud in the process. I've even tried a Kraken x52, but that isn't exactly quiet under load either. I suspect this mobo (Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5) must be sensitive to temps and is getting too hot without airflow directly onto the board.

Any suggestions for a large top-down air cooler for the M1? The NH-C14 is impossible to find now and I've flirted with the idea of a Dark Rock TF but hear conflicting things about fitment in the M1.

I'm really disappointed with the cooling for this case so far as I can't seem to get a stable overclock above 4.4ghz on my 6600K. I moved my components from a Silverstone SG08-lite which had a 180MM top down cooling fan. That build was inaudible from 10ft away while gaming and gave me stable overclocks above 4.5ghz. I have a Noctua NH-U9S and it keeps temps under 80C but is really loud in the process. I've even tried a Kraken x52, but that isn't exactly quiet under load either. I suspect this mobo (Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5) must be sensitive to temps and is getting too hot without airflow directly onto the board.

I am guessing you don't want full watercooling, have you thought about a 240mm AIO? I have my 6600K OCed to 4.60 GHz at 1.25v, max temps are 62C with a single 240mm radiator cooling CPU and GPU. It will do 4.80 GHz but I need 1.36v and temps hit 70C, bit too much.
If you look at 240mm AIO performance reviews they are usually as good as the big, full tower coolers. I would think a good one would keep your 6600K in check.

I am guessing you don't want full watercooling, have you thought about a 240mm AIO? I have my 6600K OCed to 4.60 GHz at 1.25v, max temps are 62C with a single 240mm radiator cooling CPU and GPU. It will do 4.80 GHz but I need 1.36v and temps hit 70C, bit too much.
If you look at 240mm AIO performance reviews they are usually as good as the big, full tower coolers. I would think a good one would keep your 6600K in check.

Man you're getting really great temps with that setup. What AIO are you using? Yeah, don't really want to go full custom water. I was into that years ago when EK was just starting out and all the cool kids were still on air :p.; back when you had to put plastic hose clamps instead of the awesome fittings we have now. Personal time is at a premium now with a toddler and another on the way, so I'm trying to get a good, stable setup and try not to tinker too much.

I have a Kraken x52 installed right now and I'm getting temps in the low 70s at 1.385v (ambient at ~70F) but that's with fans on full which is quite audible. For more than double the cost of the Noctua it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade at this point. Pump noise is inaudible from 10ft, but definitely noticeable from 2ft away. I was hoping to keep load temps in the 60s and noise below 30db, but I can't even maintain a stable overclock right now. I also have an EVGA 1070 SC and no other fans installed. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Am I expecting too much from a SFF build?

Man you're getting really great temps with that setup. What AIO are you using? Yeah, don't really want to go full custom water. I was into that years ago when EK was just starting out and all the cool kids were still on air :p.; back when you had to put plastic hose clamps instead of the awesome fittings we have now. Personal time is at a premium now with a toddler and another on the way, so I'm trying to get a good, stable setup and try not to tinker too much.

I have a Kraken x52 installed right now and I'm getting temps in the low 70s at 1.385v (ambient at ~70F) but that's with fans on full which is quite audible. For more than double the cost of the Noctua it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade at this point. Pump noise is inaudible from 10ft, but definitely noticeable from 2ft away. I was hoping to keep load temps in the 60s and noise below 30db, but I can't even maintain a stable overclock right now. I also have an EVGA 1070 SC and no other fans installed. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Am I expecting too much from a SFF build?

I have a full loop, Swiftech Apogee Drive II, Black Ice Nemesis GTS 240, Aquacomputer Pascal Black Edition, FrozenQ reservoir. I think having my GPU in the loop makes a big difference, not having that excess heat in the case.

I have a full loop, Swiftech Apogee Drive II, Black Ice Nemesis GTS 240, Aquacomputer Pascal Black Edition, FrozenQ reservoir. I think having my GPU in the loop makes a big difference, not having that excess heat in the case.

Ahh missed the part where you mentioned the GPU in the loop. That's a nice set up. I remember using the original Apogee and being quite happy with it. I wish I could have the Swiftech H220 x2 kit in the system. I'm going to back down my vcore to 1.3v or below and see how temps do with a custom fan profile at 50% below 61C see how it goes.

Ahh missed the part where you mentioned the GPU in the loop. That's a nice set up. I remember using the original Apogee and being quite happy with it. I wish I could have the Swiftech H220 x2 kit in the system. I'm going to back down my vcore to 1.3v or below and see how temps do with a custom fan profile at 50% below 61C see how it goes.

Yeah I still have my Swiftech H220-X from my last build, would have loved to be able to use it in this one. Good luck on your temps.

Yes, high 70's. I'm not sure about the Ti though. I do know that it has a bigger heatsink that is also closer to the fans. As mentioned, I would like to attach my fans to the heatsink to see whether the temperatures will drop or not. Only problem is the sheer challenge/paint in taking in and out the Strix GPU...

I'm not sure how I would add a foam, how it would work and how it would look. But having some kind of a duct/plate to suppres airflow from the sides sure would be a nice thing...

Ah I was thinking you were using a Ti as well. I thought normal 120s fit under the stock shroud of the regular 1080 STRIX?

Running a 1080Ti SC BE very happily here. Though it is necessary to have two intakes underneath for good temps on this particular card.

I must stress to use different fans than whatever come with your AIO. I can only recommend what I've used but I find the Phanteks F120MPs (I based this off great experiences with the 140SPs) to be very great fans. At 10 feet away, I'd say they're as close to inaudible as you can get. My actual max running RPM on them seems to be around 1650-1700. My PC sits about 3-4 feet from me. Of course, this is what gives AIOs a bad rap. They use subpar fans and are already in the top price point of most air coolers. So you end up spending a pretty penny to get reasonable sound and cooling out of them.

I would also suggest de-lidding your CPU. This honestly isn't as scary as it sounds. I did a bit more testing this weekend and I picked up a 4790K in partial trade for my STRIX Ti. The 4790K is not delidded, but will do 4.5Ghz at 1.2v. However, my 4770K is delidded and takes 1.28v to do 4.5. The 4790K runs around 60-70C (peaked at 69C in all my gaming this weekend) vs my 4770K running around 60-65C (peaking around 67C). So needless to say I will probably be delidding the 4790K soon. Keep in mind this is with just a H75 and a single F120MP fan set as a 'pull' intake.

As for GPU temps, I'm running a 1080Ti SC and two more of those F120MP underneath it. I tested a Ti FE without fans at the bottom as well as the Ti SC card. The FE pretty much performed the same as having two fans in the bottom, but CPU temps did rise by about 1-2C (so margin of error). However, the Ti SC suffered greatly. With the fan curve I was using with two fans underneath as intake, the GPU managed to find its way to 87C. I could have let the fans spin faster, but I don't want that much noise from my system. My system isn't inaudible at 3-4ft under load, but it's what I consider to be an acceptable noise level for my taste.

Do you have one fan or two on your U9S, and is the cooler oriented vertically or horizontally?

I'm using a U9S and it was pretty noisy initially, but I added a second fan and am using low noise adaptors and it's now much, much quieter and barely any hotter than without the LNAs. I've got a 120mm Noctua (with LNA) on the side intake which seems to help in terms of motherboard temperature. Currently I have the U9S positioned so the fans are blowing bottom to top, but I'm considering rotating it 90 degrees to push air from front to back. If I do this then I'll also experiment with having the second fan on the heatsink or on the back panel (I'm not expecting a great difference but every little helps).

I'm running a 6700K at stock (for now) and temperatures are absolutely fine. I'm quite happy to trade a bit of heat for low noise, though, so YMMV. At idle, all the fans are silent. At full blast, it's still bearable and more whooshy than screaming banshee. By far the loudest component is the GPU, which will be getting replaced fairly soon.

Do you have one fan or two on your U9S, and is the cooler oriented vertically or horizontally?

I'm using a U9S and it was pretty noisy initially, but I added a second fan and am using low noise adaptors and it's now much, much quieter and barely any hotter than without the LNAs. I've got a 120mm Noctua (with LNA) on the side intake which seems to help in terms of motherboard temperature. Currently I have the U9S positioned so the fans are blowing bottom to top, but I'm considering rotating it 90 degrees to push air from front to back. If I do this then I'll also experiment with having the second fan on the heatsink or on the back panel (I'm not expecting a great difference but every little helps).

I'm running a 6700K at stock (for now) and temperatures are absolutely fine. I'm quite happy to trade a bit of heat for low noise, though, so YMMV. At idle, all the fans are silent. At full blast, it's still bearable and more whooshy than screaming banshee. By far the loudest component is the GPU, which will be getting replaced fairly soon.

So I actually got pretty good results with the Kraken x52 with a 55% fan profile below 61C and was mostly stable at 4.5ghz @ 1.3v. Temps were around 62C-65C with an ambient of 21-22C. Stil not 100% sold on the noise and cost though.

I'm going to put the U9S back in and see. The last config I had it in was horizontal with the fan pushing air out the back and 120mm Scythe pulling air in. I had a second fan on there previously but the noise at load was too much. I'll try it again with the LNAs and see what happens.

I'm thinking of switching the setup to negative pressure (sucks because I hate dust). The 120mm will be an exhaust with the U9S pulling fresh air in from the rear. Good idea?

I don't think that a back-to-front configuration will be as good as front-to-back, personally, but you might as well give it a try. The LNAs are pretty good, they significantly reduce the noise and only make a small difference to the temperatures.

Well because I can't seem to leave well-enough alone, I've ordered a hybrid kit and will be testing it out on my TXP (2016) first. I returned the TXp (couldn't really justify keeping it around since I still have the two Tis and the 2016 TXP. I figured since my 2016 TXP is a decent OC'er on the stock cooler, it might shine under the hybrid kit. I think it's going to end up being the best case scenario as far as noise as well since I'll be using another F120MP on it.

Would a DARK ROCK TF be a big upgrade from a D9L? Also what about any ram clearance issues (I have G.SKILL TridentZ RGB so idk if that would be a problem)

Does the FTW3 fit in the M1? Length shouldn't be a problem, but height might be a different matter.

Would a DARK ROCK TF be a big upgrade from a D9L? Also what about any ram clearance issues (I have G.SKILL TridentZ RGB so idk if that would be a problem)

Performance wise, yes it most definitely should be an upgrade. Will it fit? Eh, probs not? With that RAM likely not? It barely fits on half the ITX boards as it is... It's a shame because a few mm's here and there would've made it the perfect alternative to the Original C14.. Damn Noctua changing their design.. I'd be all over a C14 original if I could. :(.

Quick question: is there a configuration that allows an optical drive and a 2.5 inch drive to be mounted up front? I'm curious if using an optical drive blocks that mounting spot for the HDD.

I'm waffling back and forth between getting the largest m2 SSD I can get my hands on and getting a smaller SSD + HDD. Looking at mounting positions, since I'd prefer not to put a cage in front of the PSU or on the floor.

Quick question: is there a configuration that allows an optical drive and a 2.5 inch drive to be mounted up front? I'm curious if using an optical drive blocks that mounting spot for the HDD.

I'm waffling back and forth between getting the largest m2 SSD I can get my hands on and getting a smaller SSD + HDD. Looking at mounting positions, since I'd prefer not to put a cage in front of the PSU or on the floor.

instodd.jpg

instssd2.jpg

You mount the optical drive on the front of the bracket and the SSD on the back, they use different mounting points.

Back