NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

HPM

n00b
Hi there,

I finished my first build a couple of weeks ago, but without a gpu. My original plan was to go for a GTX 1070, but when the 1080 Ti was announced I decided to wait for pricecuts for the 1080. I eventually found a great deal on a 1080 but then it suddenly wasn't available anymore and my order was cancelled. I really wanted to complete the build and start gaming, so I bought a EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition instead!! :)

I am really happy with the end-result. The M1 is a great little machine... I really love it. The build was kind of straight-forward, but I did experience some challenges, especially with fitting the C14 cooler and attaching all the cables considering the PSU being so close to the motherboard. I'm kind of pleased with my cable-management!

Specs:
Noctua NH-C14 with stock fans
Asus Z270i
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 3000MHz
Samsung Evo 960 500GB
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB
Corsair SF600
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
Ncase M1 v5

Here's a pic:

thumb_IMG_3177_1024.jpg
View attachment 20580

Last edited:

Rhialto

Gawd
Hi there,

I finished my first build a couple of weeks ago, but without a gpu. My original plan was to go for a GTX 1070, but when the 1080 Ti was announced I decided to wait for pricecuts for the 1080. I eventually found a great deal on a 1080 but then it suddenly wasn't available anymore and my order was cancelled. I really wanted to complete the build and start gaming, so I bought a EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition instead!! :)

I am really happy with the end-result. The M1 is a great little machine... I really love it. The build was kind of straight-forward, but I did experience some challenges, especially with fitting the C14 cooler and attaching all the cables considering the PSU being so close to the motherboard. I kind of pleased with my cable-management!

Specs:
Asus Z270i
Samsung Evo 960 500GB
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB
Corsair SF600
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
Ncase M1 v5
So is the 1080 Ti loud when gaming or benmarking? Have you limited max RPM? Does than fan very close to the blower really help? Because the blower seems to align with center of fan where air flow is not the best. Pretty sure a duct from blower to bottom grill would be better.

What's is CPU temp on load? I'm curious because it seems I see C14 is blowing hot air in the case.

Those data would help me build later.

Thanks!

Qrash

Gawd
Hi there,

I am really happy with the end-result. The M1 is a great little machine... I really love it. The build was kind of straight-forward, but I did experience some challenges, especially with fitting the C14 cooler and attaching all the cables considering the PSU being so close to the motherboard. I'm kind of pleased with my cable-management!

Specs:
Asus Z270i
Samsung Evo 960 500GB
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB
Corsair SF600
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
Ncase M1 v5

Here some pics:

View attachment 20579 View attachment 20580

That's a clever way to use up the extra length of the graphics card's PCI-E power cable!

So is the 1080 Ti loud when gaming or benmarking? Have you limited max RPM? Does than fan very close to the blower really help? Because the blower seems to align with center of fan where air flow is not the best. Pretty sure a duct from blower to bottom grill would be better.

What's is CPU temp on load? I'm curious because it seems I see C14 is blowing hot air in the case.

Thanks!

I think most builds with the NH-C14 or the similarly shaped Dark Rock TF have the fan on top of the heatsink drawing air into the case. Yes, the air will be heated when it circulates over the motherboard, but the movement of the warmed air is better than none, plus the side intake creates a positive pressure inside the case which forces the air out of the many holes in the panels.

HPM

n00b

Thanks!

- I have heard the 1080 Ti while benchmarking, but not while gaming. Only when I press my ear against the case. The most gpu-intensive game I'v played was The Witcher 3 and the gpu fan ramps up to around 1400/1600rpm I think (1100 at idle). Therefore I have not limited the max rpm, because I don't think it's necessary (yet).
- I don't believe the extra fan underneath the gpu is making much of a difference, but I have yet to test it without it. The gpu fan does not center the fan underneath so I don't think it's blocking any necessary airflow. Temps are around 50/60C while gaming and max 83C on max load while benchmarking.
- The C14 fan is actually drawing cold air into the case. CPU temps at idle are round 30C. While heavy benchmarking it's around 80C I think. Not the kind of temps I have seen while gaming.

I will check on the exact numbers in the near future.

Good luck with your build!

HPM

n00b
That's a clever way to use up the extra length of the graphics card's PCI-E power cable!

Thanks! The cables included with the SF600 are kind of stiff, but really easy to bend in shape. I didn't want the cables coming anywhere near the gpu and pressing onto the backplate so I routed them this way. Plenty of space in the M1! :)

D

Deleted member 300218

How is people’s experience with the SF600? Ever since my first build with the NCASE way back (two different models) and then the Fractal Nano S afterwards (again two different ones here), I’ve had and sent back probably 5 different versions of this power supply. And I have to say my experience is not as good as people make this PSU out to be. It’s not that the fan is not silent even under load – in this regard it’s perfect. The problem lies in how it is when idle. When idle, ‘’’’’’’’’’’’’’’'all the components in my computer are completely silent or near-silent. Everything, except the SF600. Its fan is turned off, but it still let’s off these slight and recurring buzzing noises in intervals. Granted, you can only hear it when you are in a silent room and the PC is idle. But it’s still there.

I had this issue with virtually all of my SF600s, and it’s clear to me now that this isn’t a “problem” with some SF600, but something to be expected. The last one that I ordered did not have the same issue when I had it in the Fractal Nano S (the first case I built it in), and I thought I had hit the jackpot in terms of a “golden unit”. But when moving over to the NCASE the other week, it came back.

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
I use a SF600 in my Ncase M1 v1 and its great. it sits about 3 feet from me and I cant hear the rig at all even when gaming. Even when close up its pretty quiet. Not sure why people are having problems with theirs.

D

Deleted member 300218

So I'm not alone?

Here's btw a video I took with my phone of the buzzing issue (system was idle):

I have returned previous SF600s for this very reason, and would not hesitate to do it again. I'm just not sure what other SFX PSU alternatives there are out there that can give me an adequate level of noise (during load).

Chapeau

Gawd
So I'm not alone?

I have returned previous SF600s for this very reason, and would not hesitate to do it again. I'm just not sure what other SFX PSU alternatives there are out there that can give me an adequate level of noise (during load).

Never had anything like that from mine. I'm about 1 ft away from mine as it sits on my desk.
Have you checked your cables are okay or tried another set. It almost sounds like the connections are bad.

D

Deleted member 300218

Cables for the motherboard you mean? Or the Power supply cable? For the latter, the cable is the one that came with the PSU, but I'l certainly check it out later tomorrow.

This is a pretty annoying issue that I've had with several units. Honestly, at this point I'm wondering to even return or not, because of the convenience of taking it out of the NCASE. Alternatively I would need to order a new one and keep the cables, and send back this PSU with the cables of the new one, as the smaller CPU cable has been routed under the motherboard.

ReaperX22

Gawd
Cables for the motherboard you mean? Or the Power supply cable? For the latter, the cable is the one that came with the PSU, but I'l certainly check it out later tomorrow.

This is a pretty annoying issue that I've had with several units. Honestly, at this point I'm wondering to even return or not, because of the convenience of taking it out of the NCASE. Alternatively I would need to order a new one and keep the cables, and send back this PSU with the cables of the new one, as the smaller CPU cable has been routed under the motherboard.

I've never heard the noise you get from my SF450 from Corsair. I've also never even heard it from my Silverstone SFX 450/600 units, which were slightly noisier as a whole than my Corsair SF450 (louder fan, also very slight coil whine).

betaflame

n00b
So I'm not alone?

My SF600 doesn't buzz, but it's brand new and the fan curve MUST be wrong.

It spins up and down at idle (30W measured at wall) and sounds like a fucking 290x blower under 400W load

Qrash

Gawd
My SF600 doesn't buzz, but it's brand new and the fan curve MUST be wrong.

It spins up and down at idle (30W measured at wall) and sounds like a fucking 290x blower under 400W load

I recall reading somewhere that the initial SF600 units had a more active fan profile than later ones. Perhaps you have one of the early ones.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Any of you guys notice there is now a Ncase tote bag pictured on the website? That is good news for those looking to transport their case.

Rhialto

Gawd
I recall reading somewhere that the initial SF600 units had a more active fan profile than later ones. Perhaps you have one of the early ones.
Was curious about this and I found this review where author talk about that in the comments.

What is weird is the fan curve on the back of the box on that review (May '16) compared to the more recent review here (December '16) is exactly the same.

Chapeau

Gawd
I think there's two separate issues:
- Initial samples of the SF600 had some sort of defect where the fan did not follow the speficied curve at all. These units shipped to reviewers and potentially to some unlucky folks. I've not actually read a review where someone has one of these early units... Following the initial round of reviews, subsequent units were rectified almost immediately. It's highly unlikely for anyone to now receive one of these unless you buy an old used model I suspect.
- The fan curves are commonly confused, but when read with respect to load, the SF600 is the same or better than the SF450. It's easy to confuse at a glance as the scale differs on the SF600 specification which makes it seem louder.

Last edited:

betaflame

n00b
I thinkl there's two separate issues:
- Initial samples of the SF600 had some sort of defect where the fan did not follow the speficied curve at all. These units shipped to reviewers and potentially to some unlucky folks. I've not actually read a review where someone has one of these early units... Following the initial round of reviews, subsequent units were rectified almost immediately. It's highly unlikely for anyone to now receive one of these unless you buy an old used model I suspect.
- The fan curves are commonly confused, but when read with respect to load, the SF600 is the same or better than the SF450. It's easy to confuse at a glance as the scale differs on the SF600 specification which makes it seem louder.
That's what I thought, but the fan's supposed to stay off until like 120W, it's turning on at 30W repeatedly....

I just bought it, but it was from Fry's which probably has low throughput. I'll probably just RMA it...

gsilver

Gawd
I'm reasonably happy with my SX700-LPT. This is after returning two different SF450s (both had coil whine, and one had the fan running at what seemed to be 100% even after going back to idle).

And I've got two builds with an M1, the other of which is still using an SF450. That one doesn't have coil whine or excessive fan noise, but has BSOD'ed and restarted mid game or when stress testing, even with good temps (MB/CPU/Ram being moved from a previous build where they were stable; GPU is new, but probably fine).

Though with the SX700, getting the GPU into the case is difficult, which I don't like.

I might go with another SX700, or just wait and see if a better SFX power supply comes out. SFX-L is nice, in that it allows larger (and hopefully quieter) fans, but oh boy is it a bear to get the GPU in.

I should probably RMA the remaining SF450 (the return window from the vendor is closed) but I suspect that I'll run into coil whine and/or excessive fan noise again. Defects are often product-line wide (as discovered with two different ASUS motherboards, both of which had the same problems despite one being the Z170 version and the other being the Z270 version; I'm now using an ASRock board, which is great)

'ya know, looking at this has me thinking: Are ITX/SFF parts in general more prone to defects? I don't recall ever having this kind of defective product rate with any of my earlier (full-sized) builds.

Last edited:

sebastien

n00b
I'm reasonably happy with my SX700-LPT. This is after returning two different SF450s (both had coil whine, and one had the fan running at what seemed to be 100% even after going back to idle).

And I've got two builds with an M1, the other of which is still using an SF450. That one doesn't have coil whine or excessive fan noise, but has BSOD'ed and restarted mid game or when stress testing, even with good temps (MB/CPU/Ram being moved from a previous build where they were stable; GPU is new, but probably fine).

Though with the SX700, getting the GPU into the case is difficult, which I don't like.

I might go with another SX700, or just wait and see if a better SFX power supply comes out. SFX-L is nice, in that it allows larger (and hopefully quieter) fans, but oh boy is it a bear to get the GPU in.

I should probably RMA the remaining SF450 (the return window from the vendor is closed) but I suspect that I'll run into coil whine and/or excessive fan noise again. Defects are often product-line wide (as discovered with two different ASUS motherboards, both of which had the same problems despite one being the Z170 version and the other being the Z270 version; I'm now using an ASRock board, which is great)

'ya know, looking at this has me thinking: Are ITX/SFF parts in general more prone to defects? I don't recall ever having this kind of defective product rate with any of my earlier (full-sized) builds.

Got the 600 corsair and it is very quiet and stable.

Did you bought all yours at the same retailer?

StrawKite

Limp Gawd

I got a asus z170i and a sf600 and have none of the issues you mention, I think your theories are a bit off track.

gsilver

Gawd
Got the 600 corsair and it is very quiet and stable.

Did you bought all yours at the same retailer?
For the parts that I returned (or in the process of RMA, before ebay'ing the replacement, as in the Z170 board), the SF 450s and the Asus Z170 board were from Amazon, the Asus Z270 board from Newegg

For the parts that I didn't return, the SX700 and the ASRock Z270 were both from Amazon.
All were from the stores proper, not 3rd party sellers on the sites.

I got a asus z170i and a sf600 and have none of the issues you mention, I think your theories are a bit off track.
Just curious, can you try Prime95 Mixed?
I got instant coil whine there with the SF450/Asus motherboard
Heard it with two other power supplies, too, but I verified that it was just the motherboard there.

Last edited:

Hermit2001

Weaksauce
With all due respect, doesn't this partially defeat the purpose of the size of the Ncase? XD, And the ability to have things contained inside the unit. Seen plenty of back-mount rads, but that doesn't add to the height. This seems.. Overkill? Solid effort though!
Depends on your goal, mine is just to try things and tinker, see whats possible. And yes, this is a slight glass of overkill :)

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm not alone?

I've never had that problem with mine as well. I bought mine right after the early reviews said it was good.

Evangelion

n00b
Hi everyone. Its been a while since I last posted in this thread. Good job with all the new builds, some of them look real sick.

Had a quick question. Does anyone know if two 140mm fans would fit on the side bracket? I currently have a Noctua NF-A15 and an NF-F12 next to each other like this, but would two NF-A15s fit right next to each other?

StrawKite

Limp Gawd
For the parts that I returned (or in the process of RMA, before ebay'ing the replacement, as in the Z170 board), the SF 450s and the Asus Z170 board were from Amazon, the Asus Z270 board from Newegg

For the parts that I didn't return, the SX700 and the ASRock Z270 were both from Amazon.
All were from the stores proper, not 3rd party sellers on the sites.

Just curious, can you try Prime95 Mixed?
I got instant coil whine there with the SF450/Asus motherboard
Heard it with two other power supplies, too, but I verified that it was just the motherboard there.
Sure, just not today, my gf is having a party and we live in a 1 room apartment :banghead:

BST4R

n00b
So I'm not alone?

My SF600 was perfect before in my other build

BST4R

n00b
Can`t wait for ITX AM4 board which is not named BIOSTAR ... My Ryzen build gonna rock

{NG}Fidel

Supreme [H]ardness
So which 1080ti AIB card fits in the Ncase? I hear the new strix is larger and the old one was a PITA enough to get in my case.
Looking to upgrade soon and looking to avoid the FE.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
So which 1080ti AIB card fits in the Ncase? I hear the new strix is larger and the old one was a PITA enough to get in my case.
Looking to upgrade soon and looking to avoid the FE.

EVGA is probably going to be a good option, they have a 2 fan model that is 111.15 X 266.7mm that should fit with no problem.

Qrash

Gawd
Hi everyone. Its been a while since I last posted in this thread. Good job with all the new builds, some of them look real sick.

Had a quick question. Does anyone know if two 140mm fans would fit on the side bracket? I currently have a Noctua NF-A15 and an NF-F12 next to each other like this, but would two NF-A15s fit right next to each other?

No. Two 140 mm fans will not fit together on the side bracket, at least not with the existing slots for the fan mounting screws.

Below are two quick and dirty photos of a mock-up of two 140 mm fans on the side bracket. I've attached two Phanteks PH-F140HPII fans beside each other on a rev.1 (aluminum) side bracket using rubber bands. None of the fans' mounting holes (120 mm fan spacing) align with any of the side bracket's slots. Also, some of the area of both fans is covered by the material of the bracket at its ends. The fan mounted nearest the front of the case must be ~ 10 mm from the front of the chasis frame due to the width of the frame at this location (needed to attach the side bracket). At the rear of the case the frame has no width, but the rear 140 mm fan would prevent attaching an 80 mm or 92 mm on the rear panel of the case.

I'm not sure you could mod the provided side bracket enough to mount two 140 mm fans without weakening it too much. You might be better off to make your own side bracket if you really want dual 140s.

Dual 140 mm fans - 1 (Medium).jpg Dual 140 mm fans - 2 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

Pillars

Gawd
No. Two 140 mm fans will not fit together on the side bracket, at least not with the existing slots for the fan mounting screws.

Below are two quick and dirty photos of a mock-up of two 140 mm fans on the side bracket. I've attached two Phanteks PH-F140HPII fans beside each other on a rev.1 (aluminum) side bracket using rubber bands. None of the fans' mounting holes (120 mm fan spacing) align with any of the side bracket's slots. Also, some of the area of both fans is covered by the material of the bracket at its ends. The fan mounted nearest the front of the case must be ~ 10 mm from the front of the chasis frame due to the width of the frame at this location (needed to attach the side bracket). At the rear of the case the frame has no width, but the rear 140 mm fan would prevent attaching an 80 mm or 92 mm on the rear panel of the case.

I'm not sure you could mod the provided side bracket enough to mount two 140 mm fans without weakening it too much. You might be better off to make your own side bracket if you really want dual 140s.

View attachment 20828 View attachment 20829
What GPU heatsink is that?

Qrash

Gawd
What GPU heatsink is that?

It's an Alpenföhn Peter 2 from Germany mounted to a Zotac GTX 970. I believe the heatsink is discontinued. I purchased it when planning my build several years ago. I wanted to have dual 120 mm fans in the bottom of the case to exhaust air out the bottom, but the Peter 2 is too thick for standard 25 mm thick fans. Consequently, I used two 140 mm slim fans (Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14). There is just enough room on the bottom of the case for two 140 mm fans, but they have to be the round type and you need to drill some holes (but not all of them) for mounting.

M1 with dual 140mm Prolimatech fans on Bottom (Large).jpg

Nathan Spears

Weaksauce
Just a quick PSA. EVGA listed the wrong dimensions for the 1080 TI FTW3 card. It's actually longer AND taller. The width is still double slot though. If you thought the 1080 FTW was a pain to fit in your case, good luck with the FTW3. It probably won't fit. I had a 1080 FTW and it was the height that caused me problems. I managed to fit the FTW in the case though.

Here are the official dimensions from the site: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6696-KR

• Height: 5.385in - 136.8mm
  • Length: 11.37in - 288.798mm