NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 [H]ardForum Junkie

I did it with the PSU in, mobo in the case, and power cables already plugged in. Then I mounted the Dark Rock. You have to carefully line it up, apply some pressure and screw in at the same time. Once you get one of the screws to catch go to a second, with two screws it is all home free from there pretty much.

Did you use the plastic clips to hold the screws in place?

2. betaflame

betaflame n00b

Confirmed, I redid the conductonaut.

7700k@5.1@1.41V, conductonaut under and over IHS, Ambient 75F, fans locked at 100%, Prime95 small FFT (non-avx), OPEN-AIR

C14S Fan on top blowing down: 74C
    C14S Fan under blowing down: 77C
    U9S: 84C

The U9S is initially the same temps as the C14S, but climbs higher, it can't hold the temp down.

It IS significantly quieter though. Or at least the tone is much softer. Coretemp reads about 120W output from the CPU...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    tessier-ashpool and Jspr like this.
  3. Tephnos

Tephnos Limp Gawd

So, received my V5 yesterday, still in its box till I get time to open it up though.

I've bought the Noctua NF-A15 to cool the C14, and will get NF-F12s for the bottom as an exhaust for the accelero. However, for the fan next to the A15, should I just get another static pressure optimised F12, or grab an airflow optimised S12 to feed the PSU?

4. sebastien

sebastien n00b

Tx for the tip.

I end up doing it as follow:

remove the psu cage, and power connector
    install dark rock on the mobo
    install ram
    connect all the wire (pwr connector, usb, cpu fan, etc) on the mobo,
    instal the mobo in the case
    install the psu and the cage
    connect the wire to the psu
    instal gpu

Qrash and Pillars like this.
  5. gsilver

gsilver Gawd

K. I think that I can call it good with my ASRock motherboard.
    I've checked for every problem that the ASUS board had, and none of the problems are still apparent.

However, using the SX700-LPT does make things a little finicky with the video card and the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming GTX 1070 (not a lot of clearance on either end of the power cables). Everything seemed secure after I adjusted a couple of things, but I had to re-seat the video card power cable. It's taken care of and not a huge deal, though.

Next step: Deciding if it's worth a voided warranty on the video card to replace the fans with 2x 120mm fans to make the system a bit quieter under load.
    Anyone try this? Especially with the Xtreme Gaming, which uses a larger than normal heatsink (2-slot for the heatsink itself)

6. Hermit2001

Hermit2001 [H]Lite

It is just about possible to fit an EK Coolstream 240 XE into the M1...
    [​IMG]
    Wow, dust really shows up.

7. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

It would be a very tight fit with a 60mm radiator. A rad that thick really needs push/pull which you won't be able to do.
    I highly recommend HW Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS 240. 30mm thick and works amazingly well.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    darksable likes this.
  8. Paracord2_3

Paracord2_3 n00b

So finally spent like 5 hours last night doing my build in the v5 m1.

Asus Z270I
    i5 7600k
    Trident Z RBG 16G 3200
    EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid
    Silverstone SX700-LPT
    Corsair H75

Some things I learned, it sucks trying to fit all this into the M1 but looks great and works great once it's done. Fitting the hybrid in there with the psu fan facing out is impossible so I eventually flipped it around.
    Also had to switch the m1 nameplate on the back with the power plug so that my radiators would fit without issues. Overall it was easily the hardest build I've ever done seeing as every other build I've done has been in a mid tower.

9. darksable

darksable Limp Gawd

Seconded. I used the 280mm version of those for a long time, and they're amazingly quiet and high performance for how thin they are. They beat out a lot of the normal, thick rads that I've tried.

10. Hermit2001

Hermit2001 [H]Lite

Push/pull does work better but better is the enemy of good, and the XE range have excellent performance only on push. And I wanted to show what is possible in the M1. So far, I'm impressed.

11. betaflame

betaflame n00b

C14S in the case reads the same as open air... I did duct from the side panel though to create positive pressure, 77C, ambient 74F

12. WlfHart

WlfHart n00b

Glad to hear it worked for you. Any tips for helping me line up the rads with the side bracket? Also, what screws did you use? The fan screws that came with the M1 are too big for the rads.

13. Tephnos

Tephnos Limp Gawd

Nevermind, just realised that going through a filter the S12 would be useless, another F12 it is then.

14. Pillars

Pillars Limp Gawd

I'm curious about the PSU fan orientation. Should I have it inward heating the PSU but increasing air circulation inside the case or facing rear for fresh air?

15. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Both orientations have been tried. Fan facing outward was most common early on, but inward has started to be common.

Outward probably provides less restriction to the airflow with no affect from internal components on the temperature of the incoming air.

Inward ensures the air is filtered and usually provided by a side fan facing the power supply which draws in external air.

In some cases cable management or component clearance can be a bit better with one orientation versus the other.

16. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Like Qrash said I went with fan facing out because it put my 24 pin connector on the PSU in, which helped my cable management. I am also have a 240mm radiator installed and did not want to feed the PSU heated air.

Qrash likes this.
  17. Tephnos

Tephnos Limp Gawd

Has anyone tried putting the 1080Ti in the NCASE with an Accelero? Curious on how much higher the temps will be compared to the 1080.

18. galletabah

galletabah Limp Gawd

I have the 1080 with accelero

19. WlfHart

WlfHart n00b

Salutations all,

Word of warning that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere on this site. If you get a Corsair H60 AIO, the screw holes are not flush with the top/bottom caps of the radiator and thus will benefit from some washers to fill in the gap between the radiator mounting hole and the side bracket. (Otherwise mounting is a rather frustrating and lopsided experience.) After looking at pictures of various other Corsair AIOs it appears most others don't have this issue and thus would be better recommended if one is interested in an AIO CPU solution. (Even though those seem to be in the minority on this site.) Half tempted to try and sell the H60 and pick up an H75 just so I don't have to fiddle around with various sized washers.

Cheers,

20. Paracord2_3

Paracord2_3 n00b

Honestly my h75 screwed in no problem and I ended up using some screws that's came with the power supply I think. Once I realized that the h75 didn't come with short mounting screws since it is supposed to be used with both fans (but I was using only one). I looked around at all the other screws that my parts came with and saw a bag in the psu box that looks like they were the right size and they were. I think it was the 4 screws for mounting the psu to the case but the case also came with psu mounting screws so I ended up being able to use one set for psu and one set for the h75.

21. azagar

azagar n00b

This weekend I decided to redo my PSU cables in order to be able to flip my SFX-L onto the correct side. Before I had the fan on the inside but because directly in front of it was the hybrid radiator in push/exhaust in the back of my mind I figured it was being starved for air since it was competing against a Noctua PPC. There is a bit more gpu sag, last two photos I flipped the case upside down in order to see it more clearly, in this orientation compared to how it was before. Hopefully won't have any long term issues because of it. Incoming crappy pictures.

EVGA M1_1.JPG EVGA M1_2.JPG EVGA M1_3.JPG EVGA M1_4.JPG EVGA M1_5.JPG EVGA M1_6.JPG

22. No Hands 55

No Hands 55 Limp Gawd

what is the temp difference like between that and the reference fan?

Does the accelero fit any reference board?

23. galletabah

galletabah Limp Gawd

I quote my message.
    This is with ap15 fans
    I quote my message.
    And now, while playing with the stock acceleros fans, I have this temps:
    54-56 max peak in bf1 4k 1300 rpm.
    Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1cm aprox

24. La_Menthe

La_Menthe n00b

Could someone help me out here? I'm nearly done finishing building the NCASE, and I decided to test it out. Only thing that was missing was the GPU. I have 2 bottom 120mm Noctua fans, A U9S cooler with two fans pointed vertically, and a thin 92mm exhaust fan at the back, as shown in the picture.

[​IMG]

CPU has not been overclocked. RAM is at 3200 MHZ (CL14).

Judging by others with the same cooler, I was expecting good results. But when running Prime95, my temperatures jumped all the way up to 85c. And this was with both CPU fans at their fullest speed. I didn't even have any of the case doors on or any GPU installed.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  25. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

More information would be helpful. Which CPU, is it overclocked? If so what is the voltage. Also make sure you use Prime 95 v27.9 and not v28.10, 28.10 is extremely hard on the CPU. If you have a Kaby Lake there have been many reports of very high temps because Intel downgraded the TIM they are using. Users are often getting 15 - 20C cooling improvement after delidding.

26. La_Menthe

La_Menthe n00b

i7 7700K. I don't know the voltages but it hasn't been overclocked so it's at stock. Yes, I was using v2810. I'll try v27.9 and give you a feedback on that.

I'm afraid I have next to no experience in delidding, but never thought I would need to do any, seeing as I have no intention of OCing.

27. La_Menthe

La_Menthe n00b

Ok, have been running Prime95 v.27.7 for 15 min now, and CPU was at 70c or just below with CPU fans at 1400 RPM for first 10 min. Then it ramped up to 85c and full speed on fans after that. Pretty annoying results I'm getting here...and I'm starting to worry about how it'll be in gaming. A game like BF1 pushes the CPU as well as the GPU (which just adds more heat) a lot.

28. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

You might want to try a test like OCCT, Prime is good for testing for OC stability but puts loads on your CPU you will never see in actual useage. OCCT gives a more realistic view of loads on your CPU.

29. Rhialto

Rhialto Gawd

I don't have the NCASE yet but I'm thinking about how to setup it for a few weeks already so what I will say is only my own logic speaking.

Fans on U9S push air where? They way I see how you installed the heatsink is that you try to take air from above? Because Noctua's instructions show air should enter on side with more pipes. And since there is a gap there, not sure it's really effective, air will come from less restriction area so not really from outside of the case, unless you duct it. And if you did it the other way around, suck air from middle and try to exhaust at the top, when the video card will be there it will suck some heat and again when trying to exhaust on top the fact there is no duct some air will stay in the case.

I know my plan are to go horizontally when I will build with my first idea to exhaust on back where the grill have bigger holes.

Air circulation is a complex science, you're almost sure to deal with turbulence unless you duct intake/exhaust so the path is well defined and known.

30. Tephnos

Tephnos Limp Gawd

Huh. I had no idea stock Accelero fans managed to fit in the NCASE. Why haven't you tried setting your GTs as exhausts in place of the stock fans against the accelero? What temps do you get then? Might be quieter and lower the temps even more.

Also is that an EVGA backplate? Does it not interfere with the accelero mounting? That's what I remembered hearing before.

Qrash likes this.
  31. galletabah

galletabah Limp Gawd

I dont try it, sooo... i don't know how perform, sorry. I like the dual bot fans but the stock fans are veeeeery quiet, more than the ap15 at the same temps

And nop, the evga backplate dont block the mount plate, and its more cool xDDD

32. La_Menthe

La_Menthe n00b

No the air is pushed above, so the air is taken from below. I used this setup as it was used and recommended by many other NCASE users who reported good temps on their CPUs. Way better than what I got just now, for some reason...

I'll try horizontal next and see how it does then. The other reason for me doing vertical was so I could possibly add another fan on the side (to the right of the heatsink), that I maybe could use to push out hot air produced from the GPU -- as I'm not planning to use a reference card (seeing how loud they are).

33. Rhialto

Rhialto Gawd

I don't know if it can make a 1-2 degrees difference or what but from instructions the heatsink is wrong side. The push fan must be on the side with more pipes. Do a quick test, just switch the fans orientation so air comes from top.
    If the reference card use duct and suck cool air it should work well and you are sure to exhaust all hot air outside of the case. So cool air plus the fact you can limit fan speed should be good but this I will have to test with a newer card. I actually do this with a 660Ti in a similar box and it's ok so I was planning to do the same with a 1080Ti when I will get the NCASE plus I will add duct so only cool air from outside will flow in intake.

34. lordfiSh

lordfiSh n00b

Just a Info so that not that some makes that same mistake that I just did

Noctua NH-C14S + ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170I PRO GAMING (LGA1151) = no more Space for your Graphicscard

Attached Files:

Qrash likes this.
  35. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

I think the key point in Rhialto's post that you might have missed was that you were exhausting air out the top which, based on how you have the heatsink mounted, is the wrong side according to Noctua's instructions. You should rotate the heatsink 180 degrees so that the most heatpipes are at the bottom where you have chosen to have the air intake into the heatsink. So keep your fans blowing in the direction you have them now, but rotate the heatsink 180 degrees.

Chimaera43 and Rhialto like this.
  36. RodoGodo19

RodoGodo19 n00b

Hi,
    I have a brand new NCASE M1 and I want to buy an i7-7700k with an Asus Z270i but, I want to know which AIO will be good or Air cooler will be good to keep my CPU cool.

The Corsair H75 could fit using the two fans in push-pull configuration?.
    I'm new with this case, what do you recommend me?.

I will use the HDD cage because I have 2x HDD. So, I can only use one of the two 120mm spaces.
    Air Cooler or an AIO 120mm.

Advice?

H75?
    H60?
    Air Cooler?

37. noobzilla

noobzilla [H]Lite

I decided to upgrade my 2500K to 2600K instead of getting Ryzen next quarter. Bought 2600K for $115 used and can likely sell my 2500K for $80. I should be fine for another year and by that time hopefully things get a little more settled. Ryzen still needs a lot of polishing.

38. Pillars

Pillars Limp Gawd

Take the heatsink and board out. Remote the heatsink, bend heatpipes lightly while fitting to desired result. Had to bend my NH-L12 pipes to accommodate my motherboards sinks.

39. Pillars

Pillars Limp Gawd

Delidded with NH-L12 my temps are fantastic at 4.6Ghz (I like to be below 75C during the nasty tests)

40. WlfHart

WlfHart n00b

If you want AIO go with the H75 or H55. You probably won't be able to fit both the H75 fans on but the radiator mounting holes are flush with the widest part of the radiator making it easier to mount to the side bracket. (The H60 needs washers to fill in a gap to mount nicely.)