NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Chapeau

Chapeau Limp Gawd

I got mine from ebay. I just used the existing holes and screws for the front. In the back I used outdoor rated double sided foam tape.

2. tessier-ashpool

tessier-ashpool n00bie

An alternative to drilling would be to use Sugru. This stuff is incredibly easy to apply (think playdough), is very secure, and also removable with a hobby knife. I've used it to mount hard drives and fans within my current ATX chassis. It also deals with heat up to about 160 Celcius- when I finally get around to my M1 build, it'll be my ducting material if I decide to use ducting.

3. betaflame

betaflame n00bie

Good news, the Noctua C14S (Stock A14-PWM fan on bottom) fits with an ASRock Z270 fatal1ty ITX... with higher than normal profile RAM....

7700K at 5.1Ghz (+130mV offset, High/Level1 LLC)

Delidded... obviously. (Not bare die, as that would not post, but Thermal Grizzley conductonaut (liquid metal) between die and IHS, with the black crap removed from the IHS so there's less/no gap) (Gelid GC-extreme between IHS and C14S, will swap that out when I'm sure I won't be harassing it anymore)

Max temp at 74F ambient is... 80C with one fan and Prime95 small FFT (non-avx).

This is why I went for the M1 over the DAN, room for a proper CPU cooler.

I have a U9S I'll need to sell, it just didn't cut the mustard for absurd overclocking.

http://valid.x86.fr/xhedjh

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  4. DoubleTap

DoubleTap [H]ard|Gawd

I've been considering the same case - I have a slot load blu-ray writer in my FT03 - I mostly use it for ripping audio CDs but a slot version case is mandatory.

In theory, I could order a slot panel later but with my luck, I would order the case and it would be the last run and I'd end up never getting the right panel...

5. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

So an update on this: currently we're looking at more like late June/July for the next run. We schedule new production when current inventory gets low, and it looks like we have enough to last us at least another month or two.

6. betaflame

betaflame n00bie

I rescind my statement about the U9S not holding up:

Delidded conductonaut relidded 7700k 5.1Ghz@1.37V w/ Gelid GC-extreme, ambient 75F (p95 non-avx small FFT) after a couple minutes:

C14S: 80C
    U9S: 82C

The U9S is quieter, and that's in open air, and the U9S will have a massive airflow advantage in the case... decisions decisions...

Edit: Applied conductonaut to IHS -> U9S interface.

5.1Ghz@1.38V (+.01V, P95 was fine, but overwatch is fantastic as crashing oc'ed computers that aren't stable)

U9S Gelid GC-extreme: 83C
    U9S Conductonaut: 80C

Not bad I guess. I think I'll run the U9S instead of the C14S, because I'll use the rear 92mm port on the M1 as an intake.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Jiv_au likes this.
  7. Pillars

Pillars Limp Gawd

I have not considered this, as I'd rather not risk possible issues down the road. As it sits, my temps are acceptable up to 4.6Ghz lidded with heatpipes up. I consider this great, as my chip does it at low voltage. Also I see no point attempting to run 5Ghz or 85C++volts (Random guess) when I can do 4.6Ghz at 65C gaming with a toasty GPU below. I'll be shooting for further dialing in of chipset and core voltage drops at 4.6Ghz after the delid, regardless of temp headroom.
    As far as fitting goes I didn't get my delid tool in today so I didn't check other positions.. USPS, way to go.. I'll be able to shed more light on things come Monday. Happy to get a tool finally, the vice method hasn't been so kind to the IHS in the past regardless of insulation.

8. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 [H]ardForum Junkie

For anyone curious, I do have the Dark Rock TF working on the Z270i. I had to switch to G.Skill Aegis RAM which has no heat spreader. Even then there is still some interference between the bottom heat pipes and RAM but not enough the break anything. The backplate is annoying to work with because of components on the back side of the board. Overall this thing uses up all available slace in the case, both fans fit even with the air filter and fan bracket.

Ill see if I can get some shitty cell phone pics. Still waiting on finding a 1080ti to complete the build, might try and do some custom cabling in the meantime.

9. xcharlesy

xcharlesy n00bie

This is interesting. Can you go into detail with exactly what your C14S fan setup was? I'm running around 8-10 degrees cooler on the regular C14 at 5.1 delidded.

10. betaflame

betaflame n00bie

I just stuck the A14 on top for maximum cooling. Both were open-air test-bench tests, which benefit the C14S.

What did you relid and with what, and what voltage and temps are you running?

And is that inside an M1 with the case side on?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  11. sack-o-taters

sack-o-taters n00bie

I just completed a very similar build and posted a couple of messages with my findings on the NH-L12. I got it to fit, but only with a 16GB DDR in the B1 DIMM slot. The heat pipes are pointing to the IO Shield. Every other direction fouls something, and not only is pointing them down "not recommended" by Noctua, but it appears to also foul the PCI slot.

On cooling, I'm probably not the best example since I've not yet installed a GPU. I have both of the supplied Noctua fans mounted, along with 2 Corsair ML 120 Pro LEDs in the side bracket. Under normal load the unit is totally silent. Remember - no gaming as of yet. When I do something a bit more intense the fans (I think it's the Noctuas) are audible as an air noise, but you can't hear it over a ceiling fan or A/C unit (at least in my office). I don't believe the fan in my SF450 has ever come on.

Build Details:

NCASE M1 (Silver)
    Asus RoG Strix Z270i Gaming
    Intel Core i7 7700K
    Corsair SF450 - using stock cables
    Noctua NH-L12
    2 Samsung 960 Pro M.2 Drives (512Gb)
    1 Corsair LPX DDR4 16Gb in B1 Slot
    2 Corsair ML 120 Pro LED fans

Still shopping GPUs, will probably add a mini GTX 1060 soon

12. Pillars

Pillars Limp Gawd

I have the same board and am using heatpipes facing up. Bent the pipes slightly too. Both ram slots accessible.

13. Jeshag

Jeshag n00bie

Hi,

I placed an order on March 18th and looking to cancel it. Who do I contact? I emailed info@ncases.com, any other contacts? Also are these final sales where they wont approve my cancellation request? Thanks

14. zer0xp

zer0xp n00bie

Yeah, there's no phone number or anything. I had a bit of an emergency issue with my order and needed to reach them -- that was my only choice. They say that they only check the email twice a week though, so don't expect a quick reply, but I think you'll be fine.

15. Jeshag

Jeshag n00bie

I emailed them today and they just replied saying "Refunded". Fast response, will gladly order from them in the future when needed.

Thanks NCASE team!

Qrash and Neapolitan6th like this.
  16. Nathan Spears

Nathan Spears n00bie

Want to show off my M1 with a Cryorig C1 cooler mounted with a 140mm fan and another 140mm fan on the bracket. Both are full size. It is important to note that I had to turn my PSU in the ATX position to properly fit the C1.

DSC_1193.JPG
    DSC_1196.JPG
    DSC_1198.JPG

17. Chapeau

Chapeau Limp Gawd

Nice solution with the SF450... Haven't seen this before myself.
    Curious about the double 140 fan arrangement - Have you had time to try running a single either on the side panel or just on the heatsink?

Qrash and Jspr like this.
  18. galletabah

galletabah n00bie

The sf450 will die with the fan covered

19. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

The SFX to ATX adapter plate is the Silverstone PP08 which offsets the power supply. Even so, is there still a gap in front for the fan to draw in air?

20. galletabah

galletabah n00bie

I see a SSD or HDD too. I don't think so, really.
    I broke a psu for this

21. galletabah

galletabah n00bie

Does anyone know if exists the 3d model of the Toolless Panel Attachment Plastic Clips?

22. Nathan Spears

Nathan Spears n00bie

The 450 won't die because it is not flush against the case. The SSD bracket is there and that bracket doesn't cover the fan completely. Also, the SF450 fan doesn't ever spin. I don't plan on overclocking the GPU so I don't think it will ever spin.

Yes, there is a gap for the PSU to draw air as an intake. I wouldn't worry about it if you use the SF450 or SF600 and your system's TDP is rather low.

You can also turn the PSU around so that the fan faces the inside of the system. I chose not to because my motherboard 24 pin cable is very short. I originally had the PSU in its default SFX position without the ATX bracket.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 10:35 AM
  23. Nathan Spears

Nathan Spears n00bie

I'm confused. Do you mean to take out one of the 140mm fans? If so, for what purpose?

24. gsilver

gsilver Limp Gawd

So... I replaced my Asus Z170 Pro Gaming for a Z270 Strix. Same exact coil whine (maybe less, since I was able to tell that it's coming from the part of the board near the PCI-E slot, but couldn't tell where it was coming from with the 170). Same USB ports dropping out, video flicker, etc.
    And just to be sure that the coil whine wasn't my video card, I took it out, found that the Displayport on integrated didn't play nice with Windows, and still experienced the coil whine when hooked up to an HDMI display.

Well, I'll refund the Strix and pick up an Asrock board, instead.

As for the Z170 board, which was past its return window, I'm still waiting on ASUS "Support". If/when I get a replacement board from them, it's going directly to Ebay.

25. Pillars

Pillars Limp Gawd

That's weird, no whine from my 270i.

26. StrawKite

StrawKite [H]Lite

Have you considered it may be the psu making other components whine? Maybe you used a wrong cable or something like that. Happens to be best of us.

27. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

28. gsilver

gsilver Limp Gawd

I've tried three different PSUs so far... (two SF450s, and an SX700-LPT; I have a very similar build with a S450 and no whine)

Well, I guess that I could try my old ATX PSU, even though there's no (good) way to fit it into the case

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 2:16 PM
  29. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

have you tried everything outside the case, maybe with a different gpu?

30. BST4R

BST4R n00bie

I built 2 NCASE both water cooled . I did my research before and I can tell you the Dark Rock TF looks badass and fitting in nicely . I have for myself because when I left Australia needed to change from water to air cooling .
    My vote is Dark Rock TF ( if your VGA to big you need an PCIE extender cable , good quality like 40$ ) Looks badass
    Check out this https://imgur.com/a/yI3TA I hope I helped

31. gsilver

gsilver Limp Gawd

I've tried it with integrated video which had the same coil whine (and black screens using displayport; only HDMI produced video in Windows) so it's definitely not the GPU.

I'll try things outside of the case + with the ATX power supply when I get the chance.

But even if the whine is PSU/case related, the USB issue is kind of infuriating. One can only enter their password so many times with the on-screen keyboard...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 5:11 PM
  32. Erasmus354

Do you have a UPS you can use as well? Different motherboards exhibiting the same odd flaky behavior like that is a bit odd and I would try to rule out commonalities before determining it was a fluke simultaneous failure of both motherboards. The biggest commonality here is the power delivery.

pendragon1 likes this.
  33. Hermit2001

Hermit2001 [H]Lite

Hope you find this helpful. I originally was trying to keep access to the mobo for the M.2 and cpu upgrades, but I'm unlikely to upgrade soon.
    The top fan header is for the Predator, and I modded a fan extender to actually fit in the 'hidden' (under PCIe clip) third fan header.
    Need to shuffle some fittings around and see if I can fit a 240 XE on the side. It will partially vent through the PSU as they will be a *very* tight fit.

[​IMG]

34. gsilver

gsilver Limp Gawd

I don't own a UPS, but I tried it on a different outlet when I had it hooked up to my TV instead of at my desk during the integrated video testing, at least.
    The TV is on a different circuit than my office.

35. rfarmer

rfarmer Limp Gawd

36. Chapeau

Chapeau Limp Gawd

The proximity of the fans would suggest that the spinning airflow will interact somehow. Might be just as effective with a single one in which case it would simplify your build. Potentially it might be quieter...

It's just a question out of curiosity more than anything else... I've never mounted two fans that close before. But if it ain't broke... (y)

37. Nathan Spears

Nathan Spears n00bie

I had similar thoughts, but I think the space is adequate; after all, plenty of put 2-120mm fans flush under the GPU with success (myself included).

As for noise, this is quieter than the previous cooling set-up: 120mm fan on the bracket and a 92mm CPU cooler.

38. estrangeiro14

estrangeiro14 n00bie

Does anyone know what happened to the spreadsheet? Go to the "V5 Buyers" sheet and there's only 32 lines showing when the last entry number is 239.
    I've checked the revision history and something happened between March 17, 1:17 PM & March 17, 3:50 PM. This is when the V5 Buyers sheet got altered.

39. DarkForceRising

DarkForceRising n00bie

Thanks! A couple questions for you, then.

Is there space next to the top fan for a 120 mm fan on the side bracket, across from the PSU?

It looks like the be quiet fan is 22 mm thick. Is the fit close enough that a standard 25 mm thick fan wouldn't fit over the heatsink mounted on the case side bracket?

Can you fit the included lower fan without any issues/mods?

Temps/sound?

I'm really curious how the C14 compares to the C14S compares to the TF, in this case. Very similar designs, but with 25/15/22 mm fans, respectively. I'm not expecting you to know this one, but if anyone's done a comparison, please speak up.

40. Erasmus354

Here are some crappy shots of the Dark Rock TF on the Asus Z270i Strix

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will post better pictures when I find a GTX 1080ti and finish the build. Basically if you look at the first picture you can see that the one ram stick is deflected ever so slightly, like a mm maybe. That is the bottom heatpipes interfering. I don't think any other orientation will work either, except maybe a 180 flip PLUS removing the VRM heatsink because that interferes completely when flipped 180 currently.

Overall I think it is acceptable on the RAM slot. Height wise, there is maybe enough space for a piece of paper between the fan and the air filter so it is a damn perfect fit there. Also of note is that there isn't a whole lot of room for the power cable to sneak in behind the bottom fan but it does work.

BST4R likes this.