NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

The SFX to ATX adapter plate is the Silverstone PP08 which offsets the power supply. Even so, is there still a gap in front for the fan to draw in air?

2. galletabah

galletabah Limp Gawd

I see a SSD or HDD too. I don't think so, really.
    I broke a psu for this

3. galletabah

galletabah Limp Gawd

Does anyone know if exists the 3d model of the Toolless Panel Attachment Plastic Clips?

4. Nathan Spears

Nathan Spears [H]Lite

The 450 won't die because it is not flush against the case. The SSD bracket is there and that bracket doesn't cover the fan completely. Also, the SF450 fan doesn't ever spin. I don't plan on overclocking the GPU so I don't think it will ever spin.

Yes, there is a gap for the PSU to draw air as an intake. I wouldn't worry about it if you use the SF450 or SF600 and your system's TDP is rather low.

You can also turn the PSU around so that the fan faces the inside of the system. I chose not to because my motherboard 24 pin cable is very short. I originally had the PSU in its default SFX position without the ATX bracket.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. Nathan Spears

Nathan Spears [H]Lite

I'm confused. Do you mean to take out one of the 140mm fans? If so, for what purpose?

6. gsilver

gsilver Gawd

So... I replaced my Asus Z170 Pro Gaming for a Z270 Strix. Same exact coil whine (maybe less, since I was able to tell that it's coming from the part of the board near the PCI-E slot, but couldn't tell where it was coming from with the 170). Same USB ports dropping out, video flicker, etc.
    And just to be sure that the coil whine wasn't my video card, I took it out, found that the Displayport on integrated didn't play nice with Windows, and still experienced the coil whine when hooked up to an HDMI display.

Well, I'll refund the Strix and pick up an Asrock board, instead.

As for the Z170 board, which was past its return window, I'm still waiting on ASUS "Support". If/when I get a replacement board from them, it's going directly to Ebay.

7. Pillars

Pillars Limp Gawd

That's weird, no whine from my 270i.

8. StrawKite

StrawKite Limp Gawd

Have you considered it may be the psu making other components whine? Maybe you used a wrong cable or something like that. Happens to be best of us.

9. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

10. gsilver

gsilver Gawd

I've tried three different PSUs so far... (two SF450s, and an SX700-LPT; I have a very similar build with a S450 and no whine)

Well, I guess that I could try my old ATX PSU, even though there's no (good) way to fit it into the case

11. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

have you tried everything outside the case, maybe with a different gpu?

12. BST4R

BST4R n00bie

I built 2 NCASE both water cooled . I did my research before and I can tell you the Dark Rock TF looks badass and fitting in nicely . I have for myself because when I left Australia needed to change from water to air cooling .
    My vote is Dark Rock TF ( if your VGA to big you need an PCIE extender cable , good quality like 40$ ) Looks badass
    Check out this https://imgur.com/a/yI3TA I hope I helped

13. gsilver

gsilver Gawd

I've tried it with integrated video which had the same coil whine (and black screens using displayport; only HDMI produced video in Windows) so it's definitely not the GPU.

I'll try things outside of the case + with the ATX power supply when I get the chance.

But even if the whine is PSU/case related, the USB issue is kind of infuriating. One can only enter their password so many times with the on-screen keyboard...

14. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 [H]ardForum Junkie

Do you have a UPS you can use as well? Different motherboards exhibiting the same odd flaky behavior like that is a bit odd and I would try to rule out commonalities before determining it was a fluke simultaneous failure of both motherboards. The biggest commonality here is the power delivery.

pendragon1 likes this.
  15. Hermit2001

Hermit2001 [H]Lite

Hope you find this helpful. I originally was trying to keep access to the mobo for the M.2 and cpu upgrades, but I'm unlikely to upgrade soon.
    The top fan header is for the Predator, and I modded a fan extender to actually fit in the 'hidden' (under PCIe clip) third fan header.
    Need to shuffle some fittings around and see if I can fit a 240 XE on the side. It will partially vent through the PSU as they will be a *very* tight fit.

[​IMG]

16. gsilver

gsilver Gawd

I don't own a UPS, but I tried it on a different outlet when I had it hooked up to my TV instead of at my desk during the integrated video testing, at least.
    The TV is on a different circuit than my office.

17. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

18. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

The proximity of the fans would suggest that the spinning airflow will interact somehow. Might be just as effective with a single one in which case it would simplify your build. Potentially it might be quieter...

It's just a question out of curiosity more than anything else... I've never mounted two fans that close before. But if it ain't broke... (y)

19. Nathan Spears

Nathan Spears [H]Lite

I had similar thoughts, but I think the space is adequate; after all, plenty of put 2-120mm fans flush under the GPU with success (myself included).

As for noise, this is quieter than the previous cooling set-up: 120mm fan on the bracket and a 92mm CPU cooler.

20. estrangeiro14

estrangeiro14 n00bie

Does anyone know what happened to the spreadsheet? Go to the "V5 Buyers" sheet and there's only 32 lines showing when the last entry number is 239.
    I've checked the revision history and something happened between March 17, 1:17 PM & March 17, 3:50 PM. This is when the V5 Buyers sheet got altered.

21. DarkForceRising

DarkForceRising n00bie

Thanks! A couple questions for you, then.

Is there space next to the top fan for a 120 mm fan on the side bracket, across from the PSU?

It looks like the be quiet fan is 22 mm thick. Is the fit close enough that a standard 25 mm thick fan wouldn't fit over the heatsink mounted on the case side bracket?

Can you fit the included lower fan without any issues/mods?

Temps/sound?

I'm really curious how the C14 compares to the C14S compares to the TF, in this case. Very similar designs, but with 25/15/22 mm fans, respectively. I'm not expecting you to know this one, but if anyone's done a comparison, please speak up.

22. Erasmus354

Here are some crappy shots of the Dark Rock TF on the Asus Z270i Strix

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will post better pictures when I find a GTX 1080ti and finish the build. Basically if you look at the first picture you can see that the one ram stick is deflected ever so slightly, like a mm maybe. That is the bottom heatpipes interfering. I don't think any other orientation will work either, except maybe a 180 flip PLUS removing the VRM heatsink because that interferes completely when flipped 180 currently.

Overall I think it is acceptable on the RAM slot. Height wise, there is maybe enough space for a piece of paper between the fan and the air filter so it is a damn perfect fit there. Also of note is that there isn't a whole lot of room for the power cable to sneak in behind the bottom fan but it does work.

BST4R likes this.
  23. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

The Dark Rock looks good in there. I think you are right, the ram should be fine as long as the connection is good.

BST4R likes this.
  24. Erasmus354

Yea it looks great, really a shame about the 1-2mm of interference. I can live without RAM heatspreaders since you can't see them anyways. I should also add that the backplate is a giant PITA due to the AMD compatibility. The Strix board has a number of decent sized components on the back side of the CPU socket that make the backplate not fit quite so easily. It would be nice if there were an Intel only option.

25. Pillars

Pillars Limp Gawd

Does the backplate block the rear m.2?

26. sebastien

sebastien n00bie

No, but personnaly I had to drill some holes in the black plate so it fit flush.

The CPU socket skrews are too long on the z270....

(had the choice of dremel them or adapt the backplate.... chose the later)

27. Paracord2_3

Paracord2_3 n00bie

So guys I'm working on an M1 build as we speak using:

Z270i
    1080 hybrid
    Corsair h75

Seeing as I'm liquid cooling card and cpu with 2 separate rad and fan setups, what would be the best setup for the fans in this case? I was gonna have the fans on the rads setup as exhausts but I'm not sure how well that would perform if most people seem to have to turn the psu fan facing in. Any help on the best way to setup up fans for my build would be a great help. I noticed on a m1 build on youtube that they had a 240 rad/fan setup as intake and then just used passive exhaust, would that work?

28. WlfHart

WlfHart n00bie

Just got my M1 last Friday and am mid build on a h60, 7600k 4.5GHz (light OC until build complete), EVGA 1080 hybrid, ASUS Z270I, and Trident Z 3600MHz RAM. Am having difficulty with the H60 mounting holes not lining up with the side bracket due to a lip on the radiator (probably need to get some spacers). Please let me know if the H75 has similar issues.
    From the research I've done several people have had acceptable temps with just the rads on intake and passive exhaust. When I cram both rads in on intake (not screwed in but held in by the side bracket) my temps after a couple hours of gaming (Grim Dawn max settings 1440) were acceptably cool (60C CPU,37C GPU maxes). Keep in mind the OC is not high, I'm still using the stock thermal paste that was on the H60 and the case would benefit from better fans (I'll be ordering better TIM, Noctua iPPC fans for the radiators, and probably shorter PSU cables as the budget allows).
    From what I've read there are mixed opinions on having a fan or two on the bottom of the case as well. I figure I'll try without them and if temps creep too high try the stock radiator fans on the bottom to see if it helps.

29. Paracord2_3

Paracord2_3 n00bie

I've seen where some others in here have used the h75 before I believe and I haven't heard of any issues mounting it but I'll let you know. Hoping neither of us will have to do too much to get them to mount. I guess I'll run them both as intakes with passive exhaust to start with. Are you using the single rear fan at all or just using the fans mounted on the rads so far? I was thinking about maybe running one or two fans on the bottom as well but wasn't even sure if the z270i board had the plug ins for that many fans.

30. gsilver

gsilver Gawd

I went ahead and tried it with a known good PSU, outside of the case (the ATX power supply from my old build)
    Same coil whine.

Unless ram or a CPU can cause coil whine, I've narrowed it down to ASUS's motherboards. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same defective parts across both their Z170 and Z270 board.

I'm getting the ASRock board tomorrow. Hopefully is well there.

31. Pillars

Pillars Limp Gawd

I've ordered the Raijintek Morpheus II and some slim 120's... :) Ncase is still a few weeks out but, I'm hoping it fits (or, I'll make it..)

32. WlfHart

WlfHart n00bie

I don't currently have a 92 in the back. Trying to buy as few fans as necessary so will slowly upgrade if temps aren't comfortable or I want to try and reach that 5 GHz OC.

33. Jiv_au

Jiv_au n00bie

Thanks for sharing betaflame. I've also gone down the 7700K + NH-U9S path as well.

When you say "rear 92mm port on the M1 as an intake" are you saying that your U9S is taking air from the rear and blowing toward the front?

34. galletabah

galletabah Limp Gawd

My Friend try it beafore, and Yes, fits completely but the temps were horribles.
    Accelero has better fan config!

35. sebastien

sebastien n00bie

Not 100% done yet, but I put the the big pipe at the top.
    In that orientation the Dark Rock doesnt touch the ram at all
    It also clear the mofset heatsink

36. Paracord2_3

Paracord2_3 n00bie

What psu are you using?

37. Pillars

Pillars Limp Gawd

I don't understand how the temps were horrible? Hmm.. well, I'm giving it a go :p

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  38. WlfHart

WlfHart n00bie

Using the SilverStone SX700-LPT and currently have it with fan pointing out with no issues. (It would have nicer looking cable management if I flipped it but I'd rather not worry about temps and I don't have a glass side so don't have to worry about looks.)
    Keep in mind though that with an EVGA Hybrid 1080 low profile PCI-e 8 pin connectors are needed to close the side panel flush.

Oh, and in case you weren't already aware, it makes things much less frustrating fitting the radiators in if you swap the power extender with the NCase plaque so the power plug is in the middle top and the plaque is on the right side of the back. Some have squeezed the radiator in without swapping the power plug spot, but usually on older models with the more flexible power chord.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  39. galletabah

galletabah Limp Gawd

which Its your gpu?

40. XelNika

XelNika Limp Gawd

After not using my LiteOn DL-8ATSH DVD burner for some months, it stopped working. Here's what happens when I try to use it:

Can I fix this? The drive is out of warranty.