NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

vipz

Gawd
I had forgotten there were so many changes. what I saw were the long internal AC cable and the threaded hole at the center of the top-rear edge of the chassis frame.
I'm pretty sure the top rear screw hole is still present in the newest revision, I guess it's just no longer worn/shiny as the exterior panel no longer has the corresponding hole.

Qrash

Gawd
I'm pretty sure the top rear screw hole is still present in the newest revision, I guess it's just no longer worn/shiny as the exterior panel no longer has the corresponding hole.

OMG, you're right. I'll stop trying to be smart and just focus on being helpful.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
OMG, you're right. I'll stop trying to be smart and just focus on being helpful.

Actually the only one I saw that I could remember was the SFX bracket was raised 2 mm. In the pic there is a slight gap between the PSU and top bracket, there is no gap with mine. I knew they had changed the side fan bracket to steel for the magnetic filter, didn't think you could tell that from the pic. Forgot about the enlarged motherboard cutout.

Last edited:

Qrash

Gawd
Recently got a new PSU and decided to take the opportunity to clean up the interior a bit.

I just took another look at your photos and noticed 2 things.
  1. You have twisted the motherboard's power cables. It really helps to keep them from sagging below the power supply.
  2. You have an Arctic Xtreme III (or maybe a IV) heatsink on your graphics card. Are the bottom fans set as intake or exhaust?
All in all, it's a very clean build.

vipz

Gawd
I just took another look at your photos and noticed 2 things.
  1. You have twisted the motherboard's power cables. It really helps to keep them from sagging below the power supply.
  2. You have an Arctic Xtreme III (or maybe a IV) heatsink on your graphics card. Are the bottom fans set as intake or exhaust?
All in all, it's a very clean build.

Thanks! Bottom fans are exhaust and it's the III.

ghostwich

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone who recently bought an Intel CPU will be mad and anyone getting ready to buy one needs to wait until all retailers cut their prices too. Microcenter has just done some deep price reductions on their entire line of Intel processors in response to Ryzen. https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...s_entire_range_of_cpus_in_response_to_ryzen/1

This will be good for builders, giving us some lower prices. Goes to show how bad Intel has been price gouging us not having any competition.
Did that article get pulled?

Microcenter has almost always had the weirdest pricing discounts on processors and if you get a motherboard at the same time it's usually another $30 off. Surprisingly it does beat out other retailers even when you factor in sales tax - it's not just the Ryzen announcements, in general: check out Microcenter if you're near one.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd

Microcenter has almost always had the weirdest pricing discounts on processors and if you get a motherboard at the same time it's usually another $30 off. Surprisingly it does beat out other retailers even when you factor in sales tax - it's not just the Ryzen announcements, in general: check out Microcenter if you're near one.

Yeah I just checked, the article is no longer there. Instead they have one showing price reduction on i7 7700k CPUs. The previous article showed Micro Center had reduced prices on all Xeon, Kaby Lake and Skylake. I could have picked up a i7 6700k for $250 which is only $10 more than I paid for my 6600k.

Might not see this good of deals in the future, but I think we will see some reductions by Intel.

FISCHER

Weaksauce

I've never seen Microcenter make these big cuts before a new chip drops.. usually its after a few months. Ryzen is really changing the whole game. Now if DDR4 prices would go back down.

Qrash

Gawd
I didn't put any on. The VRM heatsink came stock with the card and RAM modules don't have any.

FYI for anyone thinking of going this route the Arctic Xtreme III comes with an assortment of small heatsinks, whereas the IV does not. The IV has a backplate with substantial cooling fins that may or may not fit depending on your other components, such as the CPU cooler. With either model, I would recommend using your card's VRM heatsink if it fits with the Arctic heatsink.

Matt_C

n00b
Well, the build has begun..

I'm waiting on my noctua C14 coming in... I've tested the cabling & it should just fit, squished down a bit. Also need to sleeve the gfx card power, a job for tomorrow.

I have a reeven brontes cooler on hand that I may shove in as a temporary measure & see how it gets on.

Last edited:

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
can anyone tell me the name of the external back mounted res being used in the user build gallery https://imgur.com/a/zOoA2 IE the one with with the blue coolant.

http://www.frozenqshop.com/m1-ncase-reservoir/ FrozenQ. I have one and they work really well. Only problem is the company is slow to ship so make sure you order early.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ncase-m1-reservoir-black.html If you are in the US Performance PC has them in stock. They didn't have any when I was building mine which would have been really nice since I got all my other WC parts from them.

Last edited:

macken

n00b
Just got my Ncase today. Looks stellar. Just waiting on my rog strix board now to start the build.

The header cables seems a bit long. How do you route the usb cable the best way?

Qrash

Gawd
Just got my Ncase today. Looks stellar. Just waiting on my rog strix board now to start the build.

The header cables seems a bit long. How do you route the usb cable the best way?

I have used a USB Extension cable on two builds. In the first photo the black USB header cable is connected to the USB Extension behind the motherboard. In the second photo the rainbow-cloured extension cable connects below the motherboard against the motherboard tray panel. This is better if you plan to use the rear M.2 socket on your motherboard.

07 - close-up USB and Front Panel extensions (Large).JPG Kamin_M1-cropped2 (Large).jpg

macken

n00b
I have used a USB Extension cable on two builds. In the first photo the black USB header cable is connected to the USB Extension behind the motherboard. In the second photo the rainbow-cloured extension cable connects below the motherboard against the motherboard tray panel. This is better if you plan to use the rear M.2 socket on your motherboard.

View attachment 18069 View attachment 18070

Think I'm gonna try for the second option. How did you tackle the PSU-cables? Are they twisted or did you separate them?

Qrash

Gawd
The PS cables for the motherboard are twisted. This consumes their excess length, makes them a bit narrower (though thicker, if that makes sense), and makes them stiffer so that they don't sag down onto the graphics card. Here is closeup of the CPU power cable:

CPU Power Cable - closeup (Large).jpg

A tie-wrap that helps anchor the CPU power cable to the Internal AC power cable. The CPU power cable is twisted with the 24-pin motherboard cable and the two of them descend beside the power supply. They are NOT pressed into the gap between the RAM and the power supply. Doing that would apply pressure to the RAM.

BTW, here is a black low profile USB 3.0 extension cable that I recently ordered. ModDIY.com also sells these cables.

Qrash

Gawd
Wanted to share my NCASE with tempered glass window build:

Album: http://imgur.com/a/6WLJs

Reddit post:
Happy to answer questions!

Nice photos! I read your post on Reddit and it seems the temperatures are decent (81°C running Heaven).

I also noticed that you got a USB extension cable like I did. It looked to me like it was not possible to have the USB connection behind the motherboard because the rear M.2 socket was underneath the connection. My son's motherboard has a rear M.2 socket too so I put the USB cable connection against the motherboard mounting panel below the graphics card (see my photo a few posts above). Is this what you did too?

pslate

n00b
Builds looks great, how are CPU temps with the glass panel?

Thanks! Not the best, I just exported a 4k video and it hit 80 degrees under load. I'm going to delid and do a light overclock. The bottom fans are the only intakes so it's pretty choked for air.

Nice photos! I read your post on Reddit and it seems the temperatures are decent (81°C running Heaven).

I also noticed that you got a USB extension cable like I did. It looked to me like it was not possible to have the USB connection behind the motherboard because the rear M.2 socket was underneath the connection. My son's motherboard has a rear M.2 socket too so I put the USB cable connection against the motherboard mounting panel below the graphics card (see my photo a few posts above). Is this what you did too?

Thanks! I saw your picture, I like what you did. Didn't think of that. Yes, the rear m.2 slot got in the way. Mine lays flat on the case floor and the extension kind of makes a right angle up to the header.

Last edited:

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks! Not the best, I just exported a 4k video and it hit 80 degrees under load. I'm going to delid and do a light overclock. The bottom fans are the only intakes so it's pretty chocked for air.

Good idea on the delid, apparently it makes a big difference with Kaby Lake.

Matt_C

n00b
I've popped the pics of my build onto PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/tyfH99

It's pretty standard fair with the exclusion of a cablemod RGB strip clipped pointing downwards, behind the front panel connected to the AURA header on the Strix 270i.

It casts a nice light in front of the case whilst on that's synched to the light bleed through the panels from the RGB on the motherboard. Not seen it done before but it's a nice effect.

xcharlesy

n00b
Just wanted to post a quick pic with my custom cables before I disassemble the build and move. Unfortunately I have to go to a full size for the new Ryzen content. Sadly I only had this up for a few days.

I know a lot of you are looking for a Noctua NH-C14, and since I'm parting out the build I'll have mine for sale soon, along with my case, and this lovely ID Cooling 92mm fan - so I'll probably post it at a later time.

Final build:

Last edited:
Reactions: Qrash
like this

galletabah

Limp Gawd
Just wanted to post a quick pic with my custom cables before I disassemble the build and move. Unfortunately I have to go to a full size for the new Ryzen content. Sadly I only had this up for a few days.

I know a lot of you are looking for a Noctua NH-C14, and since I'm parting out the build I'll have mine for sale soon, along with my case, and this lovely ID Cooling 92mm fan - so I'll probably post it at a later time.

Final build:
where are you from?

Gutsman

n00b
Hi everyone,

Been a long time lurker when I first stumbled upon the Ncase M1. Thank you everyone for bringing in so many resources and knowledge to the NCASE community. You guys have hlped me plan my build out. I've been gathering parts for the past 6 months or so and just yesterday I was able to post and install the OS. Nothing really spectacular with my build, rather standard now for this case I feel like. Will have pictures and benchmarks soon.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12-1300 54.4 CFM 120mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12-1300 54.4 CFM 120mm Fan
Other: Ncase M1

Parts pending...
GPU - FE/Turbo GTX 1070
Cabling - Ensourced cables
Misc - USB 3.0 Header extension

- I must say building in this case took a lot longer than I expected and I was pretty worried I might've got some bent pins when the CPU locking lever popped free, though I did use the CPU install tool. It looks like the CPU and Mobo are okay for now. Will need to do a benchmark tonight. Make sure your cpu is securely locked and coffee filters are great for cleaning up thermal paste.

- Can also confirm that the heatpipes of the C14 do touch/rest on the heatsink towards to IO shield side of the Asus 270i mobo, however, I don't see much deflection in the heatsink. Not going to worry about this.

- Cable mgmt for me is a pita since the ATX cable is pretty stiff and leans against the C14 without tying it down. Will definitely get some shortened sleeved cables to tidy this thing up.

- Running two NF-P12s to pull air from the outside into the case; No bottom fan on the C14. Idle seems to be at around 30C running on a standard profile on Asus' BIOS and with the fans set to standard as well.

HPM

n00b
Why go ATX? Ryzen ITX mobos are out in the summer - you can't wait until then?

xcharlesy: Indeed why? You can actually use and enjoy your M1 while waiting for X300 boards to come along... (and spare yourself the hassle of replacing your mobo, psu, cpu-cooler and the case for the second time).

But I get it, you just like building pc's too much... :-p

Last edited:

Qrash

Gawd

Final build:

So sorry to see you leave us. Good luck with your Ryzen build!

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
I've popped the pics of my build onto PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/tyfH99

It's pretty standard fair with the exclusion of a cablemod RGB strip clipped pointing downwards, behind the front panel connected to the AURA header on the Strix 270i.

It casts a nice light in front of the case whilst on that's synched to the light bleed through the panels from the RGB on the motherboard. Not seen it done before but it's a nice effect.

Looks great, really nice job on the cable sleeving. The Yellow and Black really stands out. How are the Akasa fans noise wise?

xcharlesy

n00b
Why go ATX? Ryzen ITX mobos are out in the summer - you can't wait until then?

xcharlesy: Indeed why? You can actually use and enjoy your M1 while waiting for X300 boards to come along... (and spare yourself the hassle of replacing your mobo, psu, cpu-cooler and the case for the second time).

But I get it, you just like building pc's too much... :-p

Looks great, really nice job on the cable sleeving. The Yellow and Black really stands out. How are the Akasa fans noise wise?

I love the ncase, and ultimately will end up back in it! When Intel X processors release late summer or fall I will migrate the Ryzen build into the ncase and switch my main rig to the ATX. When I made my big move to the ncase I sold my 5960X build to a friend and since I have had some business pick up recently I need the extra core power for the time being! Can't wait to see what boards come available for Ryzen though!

Reactions: HPM
like this

Mackan

Limp Gawd

There will be mini-itx boards for Ryzen, just not now at launch I think. But they will surely come. If the TDP is as moderate as AMD claims (65-95W), I look forward to have an 8-core CPU in my Ncase. Well, I will read reviews first to ensure there is nothing shady about Ryzen, but it seems like a hit.