NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. CHANG3D

CHANG3D [H]ardness Supreme

It really could be. But then again, NVidia recommends a minimum system requirement of 500W. So Silverstone probably won't help me in any way. I'll gladly have you experts look at my system if you are in my neighborhood.

Currently I basically "hot-swap" by unplugging one and plugging in the other. I just cannot go with three drives without a lot of crashing.

And yes, I know my PSU is not the 80+ Gold one, but rather the Silver one.

2. cookiePlant

cookiePlant n00b

I showed up here because I did a lot of research on the available ITX cases and nothing can compare with this one :) (cubitek minicube is pretty cool though).Theres a difference between making harmless inquiries and disparaging the product / asking for it to change. On another note this case is gonna cost 300+ dollars for people overseas and it wouldn't make much sense for them to buy a GPU thats worth the same amount as the case :p. I think thats the reason why so many people on this thread are talking about placing very expensive hardware in their M1.

3. wreckem

wreckem [H]Lite

Personally I am going put as high end stuff as I can afford because this is likely my last build unless things change drastically, namely the the place Intel and others plan to take the desktop hardware market.

4. balance101

balance101 Limp Gawd

^

thats what I tell myself but if you keep coming to hardforum you will be tempted..

5. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

Why not get a workstation laptop ? Those are actually meant to be lugged around and can fit in your backpack or overhead compartment.

6. Zangmonkey

Zangmonkey I Realize My Disabilities - You Do Too

I think Jeff Atwood is really on-point when it comes to specific-purpose design... while his blog is about software in particular I think it applies as easily here as it did to the Pontiac Aztec

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/20...ty-but-dont-let-them-tell-you-what-to-do.html

7. Diverge

Diverge Gawd

Mechanical hard drives use a decent amount of power (in comparison to their idle and usage power) to spool up during boots. Some bioses have options to stagger the drives so they spool up in series rather than parallel.

8. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

Luckily at that point your GPU and CPU aren't at 100% load.

9. Morac

Morac n00b

Fortunately GPUs tend not to be running at max capacity during boot-up sequences.

EDIT: Damn, beaten to the snark.

10. M4rk

M4rk Gawd

Necere and W360 have done an admirable job of staying "on-mission" even while accommodating some suggestions from early posters in this thread. Back then the thread was short and easy to read through (I found it when it was around 15 pages long, maybe more, and read through it all in an hour or two at work). Now that the thread is over 100 pages, reading it completely is a bit of an undertaking. Consequently we have people appearing that think the case has already been sold out, or that it's still in planning, or it should be able to accommodate an mATX mobo. :rolleyes:

I'm cool with that, though. Someone normally clears up the misunderstanding and we keep trucking along.

11. ekuest

ekuest [H]ardness Supreme

it's actually bronze. :p

12. Zangmonkey

I agree. They've done great.

I was mostly responding to the mounting pressure to "add this" and "change that" which is a certainty as the word gets out on a neat project.
    Also, I always try to take the opportunity to spread CodingHorror :D

13. crABtoad

crABtoad Limp Gawd

The whole project has been a smashing success to date. You can't please everyone, and they've done a great job of cramming options into a very small case. It's the only case I've found to date that seem to be able to replace my excellent SG05. Since that was it's original purpose... Necere and W360 have done an excellent job of bouncing ideas off of each other, and the community, and have solidified it into a tangible item.

14. CHANG3D

Sorry, forgot about it.

But, yes, the computer crashes as the disks (or disk while the other was the ssd) start to spin.

15. CHANG3D

I can't wait to get one of these and repurpose my Prodigy. The handle bars are annoying when moving. I like need to wear a glove for it.

16. M4rk

M4rk Gawd

You'll probably still want to wear gloves when handling the M1, if just to keep your human grease off the beautiful aluminum.

Mmm, non-stick human grease.

17. *Daedalus

*Daedalus [H]Lite

It'a anodised, so shouldn't leave fingerprints. :)

18. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

You should have a talk with my Lian-Li black anodised case. He doesn't agree with you.

19. faugusztin

faugusztin 2[H]4U

I have yet to ever see a Lian Li case which doesn't contain (nearly) irremovable fingerprints. PC-A09B, PC-A17B, PC-V1000B, PC-V1110A, PC-Q08B, PC-Q09R - all have fingerprints, maybe except PC-Q09R which is red and the fingerprints are hard to see. Everything else has them.

20. *Daedalus

*Daedalus [H]Lite

Well damn. I had always thought that anodising was supposed to help quite a lot with fingerprints. An old laptop of mine had an anodised aluminium shell and didn't pick up anything at all.

21. crABtoad

crABtoad Limp Gawd

The only information I could find on short notice was that the oil from skin will etch/oxidize non-anodized alu cases, and that fingerprints will become part of the surface over time. Anodized don't do this apparently. You would need some kinda of hard, oil-repellent surface to completely avoid fingerprinting... I think.

@Necere, W360: Any ETA on the case prototype? Gettin' antsy. :D

22. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Prototype shipped this morning from Taiwan.

23. Volkswagen

Volkswagen Moderator Staff Member

Thats HOT :D

24. crABtoad

crABtoad Limp Gawd

I think I just over-gasped.

25. medeyer

medeyer Limp Gawd

Guess you're going to have a fun weekend.

26. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Possibly, but not because of the case :p It won't arrive until next week.

27. Dephcon

Dephcon [H]ard|Gawd

[​IMG]

28. CMadki4

CMadki4 [H]ardness Supreme

Necere/Wahaha360: How did Lian Li approach the slot for the optical drive? Did they do a felt insert or brush of some sort?

29. M4rk

M4rk Gawd

Maximum overgasp.

30. iakovl

iakovl [H]Lite

drool... nothing more nothing less
    WE DEMAND PIC's!!!

31. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

Slotloading drives should have those, not the slots in front of them.

http://i.imgur.com/SvAJCep.jpg

32. Zangmonkey

33. crABtoad

crABtoad Limp Gawd

Do you have any testimonials? I can't seem to find any information for this site. Seems sketchy to me, but I'm not on the design crew end.

34. Solvik89

Solvik89 n00b

Damn i whant this.

Is it possible too buy this ? I saw that i was too late to donate.
    would that mean, that i cant buy one of these ?

35. Not yet. The first crowdfunding campaign was to pay for the prototypes, and there will be a second campaign that will be the one to pay directly for the case.

Just keep this post in favorites, and you will know when this happens ;)

36. Solvik89

Solvik89 n00b

Thanks for the quick reply.

No doubt about, that I will buy this case! This is the baddest I have seen in a long time!

I never thought of getting me a such a small case, but after I saw this, it is possible and high performance machine, but still small case! Love it!

37. Moogles

Moogles [H]Lite

Just noticed the prototype doesn't have the round metal feet. Will they be absent from the retail version, too?

38. *Daedalus

*Daedalus [H]Lite

No, the retail version will have feet. Lian-Li just didn't have them in when they took the pictures.

39. Diverge

Diverge Gawd

Did the prototype get delivered yet? :)

40. Zangmonkey

TAIWAN Y U SO FAR AWAY?!