NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Do I recall a previous poster that said they mounted the top C-14 140mm fan to the cross support and then mounted a 120 mm next to it on the cross support? Looks like it might be too tight.

Do I recall a previous poster that said they mounted the top C-14 140mm fan to the cross support and then mounted a 120 mm next to it on the cross support? Looks like it might be too tight.

This combination of fans fits on the side bracket. Both fans must have 120 mm fan mounting holes.

Last edited:

I have the NF-A15 and NF-S12A on the side bracket.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming that Qrash and anak85.

Get yourself 2x 120 PWM fans to go with that system and reuse the 2x 140mm fans from the C14. That should do well even if you are combining 3-pin and 4-pin fans. The Asus motherboards have 3 different fan headers and each can controll 3- or 4- pin fans.

I gave a friend one of the 140mm fans for the CPU as I wanted something quieter than 500rpm (lowest 3-pin fan would go without low noise adapter).

The other 140mm fan is positioned on the case floor with double sided tape. I ran the manual Asus fan setup to detect the lowest fan speed for this baby (lowest around 500rpm). Afterwards I attached the low noise adapter and the fan goes down to just about 400rpm

All about the size. Decide for yourself:

This may be a dumb question, but how are you mounting your HD up on the inside (can see it on the C1 pic). My primary is an m.2, but I want to add an SSD and not sure how to mount it. If it came with mounting screws, I may have lost them in the time since initial build.

This may be a dumb question, but how are you mounting your HD up on the inside (can see it on the C1 pic). My primary is an m.2, but I want to add an SSD and not sure how to mount it. If it came with mounting screws, I may have lost them in the time since initial build.

mkacybC.jpg

The E screws with the D rubber washers, they slide right in the slots on the case.

How long ago did you get it? I ordered it on 11-09-16 and it was shipped by Action Packaged Inc. They are sending a call tag to pick it up and say they
can not supply the ordered model.

I ordered mine back on 5/17/2016. Must be they ran out of stock sometime between then and now.

Hello all - I am building my first Mini ITX computer, and I just want to circulate my component choices to see if anyone has any advice.

I will use this machine for gaming, some photo editing, and casual use. My budget is $1450, and I already have Windows 10, a monitor, and peripherals.

Thanks!

Case: NCASE M1 (Purchased For $230.00)
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($157.95 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fans x 3: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($43.43 @ Amazon)
Other: Phanteks PH-CB-Y4P 4.3" 4 Pin PWM- Y Splitter Fan Cable ($5.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1382.79

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-22 23:08 EST-0500

One piece I struggled with was whether to go with the Cryorig M9i CPU cooler or spend $20 more to get the Corsair Hydro Series H50 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler. What are your thoughts on these coolers?

Hello all - I am building my first Mini ITX computer, and I just want to circulate my component choices to see if anyone has any advice.

I will use this machine for gaming, some photo editing, and casual use. My budget is $1450, and I already have Windows 10, a monitor, and peripherals.

Thanks!

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($157.95 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fans x 3: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($43.43 @ Amazon)

One piece I struggled with was whether to go with the Cryorig M9i CPU cooler or spend $20 more to get the Corsair Hydro Series H50 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler. What are your thoughts on these coolers?

I would suggest:
1) Swapping the CPU AIO for a GPU AIO as the GPU will likely be louder and hotter than the CPU.
2) Swapping the PSU for a corsair SF450 or SF600. Either will be more than fine for the system.

Thanks!

Not maany people build with the M9i. Noctua NH-U9s is in the same category but the heatsink alone weighs about 200g more. With the heat sink it is all about the mass capable of absorbing the CPU heat.

I have no experience with AIO.

Thanks!

The EVGA is a very good PSU, I had one in my last build. It is an ATX though and you won't be able to use a full size graphics card with an ATX PSU in this case. I suggest the Corsair SF450.

Thats how I have it and very happy with the silent yet efficient cooling. It forces all the heat through the top / rear of the case.

The rear 92mm fan only makes sense if you have a tower style CPU cooler imo.

Since you seem to have some knowledge of air cooling in this case...

I bought a V1 Ncase on release a few years back and built with a 4770k cooled by a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 and a GTX 780 with the stock blower-style cooler. I've currently got a single case fan as the exhaust on the back (I think 92mm?) and no other case fans. Upon upgrading my monitor to a 1440p ultrawide (and buying Civ6!) I'm finally pushing the limits of my system and am considering overclocking. Without buying a bunch of (maybe unnecessary) fans and doing a ton of experimenting what would you suggest I do for cooling?

CPU: 4770k
Motherboard: ASUS Impact VI
Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 superclock (titan style blower cooler)
RAM: 2x8gb low profile
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo (front panel) and a M.2 on the motherboard
PSU: Silverstone 450w gold (modified with an aftermarket fan inside)

Hiya, I'm wondering if the frame pins on the left and right panels are in the same spots, as in, can I put a right panel on the left? I'd like to cut out and put a window on the left panel, but I do not want to cut the original panel and the site store is out of stock/discontinued left panels, with only right panels in stock. Or are there plans to restock left panels without the tolerance issues that caused it to be discontinued?

Thanks!

Hiya, I'm wondering if the frame pins on the left and right panels are in the same spots, as in, can I put a right panel on the left? I'd like to cut out and put a window on the left panel, but I do not want to cut the original panel and the site store is out of stock/discontinued left panels, with only right panels in stock. Or are there plans to restock left panels without the tolerance issues that caused it to be discontinued?

Thanks!

No, the pins are not in the same location on the two side panels. For example, the two pins at the bottom rear corner of the right panel (the one behind the motherboard) are closer together than the two pins at the bottom rear corner of the other side panel.

Since you seem to have some knowledge of air cooling in this case...

I bought a V1 Ncase on release a few years back and built with a 4770k cooled by a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 and a GTX 780 with the stock blower-style cooler. I've currently got a single case fan as the exhaust on the back (I think 92mm?) and no other case fans. Upon upgrading my monitor to a 1440p ultrawide (and buying Civ6!) I'm finally pushing the limits of my system and am considering overclocking. Without buying a bunch of (maybe unnecessary) fans and doing a ton of experimenting what would you suggest I do for cooling?

CPU: 4770k
Motherboard: ASUS Impact VI
Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 superclock (titan style blower cooler)
RAM: 2x8gb low profile
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo (front panel) and a M.2 on the motherboard
PSU: Silverstone 450w gold (modified with an aftermarket fan inside)

What are your CPU temps like without / with overclocking? Your cooler should be pretty decent.

The only improvement would be a 120mm fan on the front side panel of the case (did the V1 have the side bracket). I guess you don't really have any fresh air supply to the case and your CPU cooler is reusing air within the case.

Is the GPU too hot? Only improvement would be an after market cooler. You won't get an improvement with case fans due to the closed design of the blower style cooler. Almost worth getting a new GPU instead... Otherwise the accelero Extreme 3 or 4 would do the trick.

Last edited:
The EVGA is a very good PSU, I had one in my last build. It is an ATX though and you won't be able to use a full size graphics card with an ATX PSU in this case. I suggest the Corsair SF450.

Wow! I missed that somehow... Goes to show why it's worth posting on a site like this before ordering components. Thanks, rfarmer! Also, thanks to Chapeau and anak85 for your recommendations. :)

All about the size. Decide for yourself:

C1

NH-C14

C1 heatsink: 539 gram
NH-C14 heatsink: 700 gram

I guess the noctua is the clear winner..
EDIT: I've found a webshop that has the old c14, so I guess im going to buy it unless someone can recommend a better aircooler?

Last edited:
Hey Necere, I just received my case but I'm missing the extra panel I ordered. I sent you a PM. Thanks.

EDIT: I've found a webshop that has the old c14, so I guess im going to buy it unless someone can recommend a better aircooler?

Reading through a good part of this thread the NH-C14 appears to be the favorite for cooling performance. It also fits really well in this case, the heatsink mounts right next to where the fans mount on the side bracket. If you were able to find one still available I would grab it.

Where, just out of curiosity? Out of all the places I saw it, one in South Africa said they didn't stock it (despite their site saying otherwise), one didn't respond (the one in Canada discussed earlier), one is FrozenCPU who is now a scam site, and there's one in the UK that confirmed they had one after an email, but there are too many recent reviews saying they're also scammy and I wasn't willing to take the chance.

Just be careful!

FWIW, Noctua claims that the C14S with the bottom fan will only run 3°C warmer than a C14 with both fans. I don't know if anyone has tested to see how accurate that is.

They also confirmed that they do have a 140mm slim fan in the works (something that was teased in their Computex 2016 blog post) that would fit on the C14S, but they aren't expecting it to release for another 6 months, give or take.

FWIW, Noctua claims that the C14S with the bottom fan will only run 3°C warmer than a C14 with both fans. I don't know if anyone has tested to see how accurate that is.

They also confirmed that they do have a 140mm slim fan in the works (something that was teased in their Computex 2016 blog post) that would fit on the C14S, but they aren't expecting it to release for another 6 months, give or take.

Those slims fans have been in the works before the NCASE was even a thing so don't hold your breath with Noctua. That said the max temps on most CPU coolers aren't that different between 1 fan to 2. It's mostly the noise level you can maintain with both fans running slower. If anyone is looking for a C14 in the US, PM me and we can work something out.

Where, just out of curiosity? Out of all the places I saw it, one in South Africa said they didn't stock it (despite their site saying otherwise), one didn't respond (the one in Canada discussed earlier), one is FrozenCPU who is now a scam site, and there's one in the UK that confirmed they had one after an email, but there are too many recent reviews saying they're also scammy and I wasn't willing to take the chance.

Just be careful!

Morgon,

Contact Kiev Lo at : [email protected] He responded very quickly to my inquiry about the NH-C14 Monday of this week. I haven't received the product yet but they have updated me through 6 different emails over 2 days. Tracking info on UPS worldship shows package left British Columbia on Tuesday and is currently in Portland, OR. Should be delivered middle of next week.
I feel they are an above board outfit but was willing to take the chance to get this cooler. Total cost with shipping was $88.68 USD. They currently show 2 NH-C14 coolers in stock, they probably won't last long since many are getting their cases delivered now.

I feel they are an above board outfit but was willing to take the chance to get this cooler.

FYI: They have physical stores all over western Canada with their first store opening in Calgary ~20 years ago and over the past 5+ years I have had nothing but good experiences with them. It's pretty easy to get someone on the phone to support you if you do have issues. Before I posted the original link to their site, I called them to confirm it was in fact the C14 and not the C14S with the wrong description. Person I was talking to was great and confirmed the model matched the description. I ended up ordering one too :)

I have dealt with Memory Express several times and they have always been excellent.

FYI: They have physical stores all over western Canada with their first store opening in Calgary ~20 years ago and over the past 5+ years I have had nothing but good experiences with them. It's pretty easy to get someone on the phone to support you if you do have issues. Before I posted the original link to their site, I called them to confirm it was in fact the C14 and not the C14S with the wrong description. Person I was talking to was great and confirmed the model matched the description. I ended up ordering one too :)

I wasn't questioning their integrity. Just responding to Morgon's comment to be careful ! So far my experience has been very positive and they have been extremely professional in their dealings.

I wasn't questioning their integrity. Just responding to Morgon's comment to be careful ! So far my experience has been very positive and they have been extremely professional in their dealings.

Completely understand. Just wanted to give my $0.02 for anyone else considering ordering from them and were unsure. :)

Hey Necere, I just received my case but I'm missing the extra panel I ordered. I sent you a PM. Thanks.
Accessories and cases are shipped from different places, so they won't usually arrive together. If you have a question about an order, use the contact form on the website. I don't handle orders.

Best you can get. Most people aren't as lucky to find it. Get it!

That will not apply to the Ncase. The original C14 draws fresh air into the case due to the position of the fan right agains the side panel. The new C14s will reuse more air within the case. I think the original cooler will perform better than the new version.

A slim fan might change my opinion, but you will still have a slight gap and the slim fans are far less efficient.

Just to remind folks if you are getting a original C14 that with most motherboards you will lose the ability to use the M1's hdd cage. Just keep that in mind when planning out your builds. That is the one down side to using the original C14. The Asrock x99 mitx mobo is the exception.

Arctic Accelero III is on sale for $39.99 on Amazon right now (only a few left in stock). I've been watching the price and it's been around 56-60 recently. I just picked one up over the IV because it comes with mini heatsinks for my 1070's VRM and VRAM. I'll be using a couple of NF-F12s as intakes at the bottom of the case.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
seeing that tempered glass is all the rage these days...Any plans for tempered glass Ncase? :)
Not for the M1. For a new case? We'll see. I have mixed feelings about glass, personally. It kind of requires the use of thumbscrews to fasten them, which isn't the cleanest look IMO. Also breakage during shipping can be an issue.

Back