NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Alright, here's what the power button looks like lit up:

The texture looks really heavy, but that's no doubt due to how zoomed in the pic is. The button is only 12mm in diameter.

Apparently, it's blue with just the system power on but adds a red LED when the HDD is reading, making it a purple color.

I'm actually pretty okay with this. Seems pretty subtle. What about you guys?

I don't even... What needs just molex outside the case? A fan?

Well yes. I could have used this if I didn't go the route I ended up going. I put a file server in my desks built in computer cabinet. This place has 0 air circulation, so once the PC starts to heat up, it heats up that compartment and with no air circulation the idle temps are much higher than normal. So I cut some holes in the cabinet to make room for some 120mm fans to exhaust hot air out, needed a way to power those fans without some huge bulky, used PSU... luckily I found a slim (size of a small laptop power brick) power brick that has a single molex connector on the end and daisy chained the rest of the fans so they can get power.

When I get to work on my living room setup, the cubby hole the HTPC will go in will most likely also get the same treatment, using that bracket should be easier and cheaper than buying that power brick.

The texture looks really heavy, but that's no doubt due to how zoomed in the pic is. The button is only 12mm in diameter.

Apparently, it's blue with just the system power on but adds a red LED when the HDD is reading, making it a purple color.

Mine will just be disconnected then. Blue is the easiest seen color at night (Which is why the police force use blue for their lights) so it doesn't take much in a dark room to become distracting. They should have used green.

Here's hoping. It's hard to tell what the back-end of the I/O looks like though, so I'm not sure how it's going to fit with that regard, but it looks like securing it to the case wall shouldn't be a problem. I've just always liked the look of those switches.

That's fine with me. It functions the same as other cases I have from Lian LI, and about same size.

I agree - NO LED BUTTON! If you do have to include one, please PLEASE make sure it doesn't light up an entire room! Annoying as all hell. It should be just bright enough to tell you it's ON. Not become a landing site!

LED on buttons are pretty optional. If you don't like LED's then don't plug in the LED part of the botton. It's that simple.

This is what their stock light-up power button looks like. Personally I'm not a big fan of the look. Assuming the current button doesn't light up, which of the two would you prefer?
Eww, that is gross.

My preferences (In order of preference):
Ring illuminated bulgin style switch.
Non-illuminated switch.

Could please all crowds if the LED is stealth when off. Don't want it lit? Then don't plug it in.

The power cord looks longer than needed and the USB3.0 cord is insanely long as usual for Lian Li. I know they do it to allow the USB3.0 cord to be able to go out the back of the case, but that can be done with additional extensions.

snip

Mint! That's what I'd ideally like to have, but figured that would be too specific and too expensive to custom order!

Mine will just be disconnected then. Blue is the easiest seen color at night (Which is why the police force use blue for their lights) so it doesn't take much in a dark room to become distracting. They should have used green.
Or red by that logic.

I would think you could swap the wires for the HDD & power lights, making the button light up red for power and blurple for HDD access...

Lian Li has the prototype back from anodizing/painting and the front I/O ports have arrived and been installed. They sent us some pictures:

20130401052308-IMG_1307.jpg

20130401052953-IMG_1317.jpg

This is excellent. I've been waiting for Haswell to make a new build but I wouldn't mind waiting another 2 months for this chassis to reach production. Quality cases with the right modernized aesthetics that are also compact are very hard to find. But what makes me really happy is that 3rd expansion slot for the extra breathing room in putting in the type of cards I would want to use.

I think it is a perfect option. Although the dark cave trolls that seem to reside here tend to overreact, I agree a power/HDD LED shouldn't be too bright. But this doesn't seem to be too bright and since all the light is probably reflected in the I/O casing itself because of the small transparant logo on the button, I'll doubt we'll have the power-signal projected on our walls.

I like it that it's a dual-purpose light button, so that it changes tone (blue & red LED) when there is HDD/SSD activity.

I would have hated the Lian-Li buttons, they are the same on my current case and it basically shines a blue disc at the wall.

The power cord looks longer than needed and the USB3.0 cord is insanely long as usual for Lian Li. I know they do it to allow the USB3.0 cord to be able to go out the back of the case, but that can be done with additional extensions.
Although I would agree on this, I see most mITX motherboards that have USB 3.0 have their header somewhere on the far end of the motherboard, near the rear connectors. Also many motherboard manufacturers seem to think that the powerbutton/LED header should be as far from the front of the case too, so it's also located at the rear connectors more times than it's not.

So it might actually be long enough for most situations, where a short cable would most of the times require an extra cable.

I just hope we can route the cable through the back or behind the motherboard.

Last edited:
Although I would agree on this, I see most mITX motherboards that have USB 3.0 have their header somewhere on the far end of the motherboard, near the rear connectors. Also many motherboard manufacturers seem to think that the powerbutton/LED header should be as far from the front of the case too, so it's also located at the rear connectors more times than it's not.

So it might actually be long enough for most situations, where a short cable would most of the times require an extra cable.

I just hope we can route the cable through the back or behind the motherboard.

I have the Lian Li PC-Q18 mini-ITX and assuming that it's of the same length, that length is enough to go out the back of the case, go into the case of a second PC and plug into its motherboard. It's going to make space management more terrible. :rolleyes:
But I think that should be confirmed only after the prototype arrives.

Last edited:
I think it's worth noting, based on the SFX PSU thread and the noise-at-idle issues with the Silverstone Unit, That this case appears to offer enough space around an SFX PSU so that you user an externally mount a thicker, quieter, higher CFM fan.

Plenty of people have replaced the fan in their ST45SF-G but Silverstone indicated that these replacements may not operate as well at higher temperature loads. Tony stated that they did not simply stick in the cheapest fan they could (and I believe him).

However, the SFX form factor for PSUs isn't an inherent constraint in the M1... so a user could easily mount an external fan to the ST45SF-G to overcome any issues with noise/airflow.

Necere, can you confirm the available spacing around an SFX PSU in the M1 if users want to pursue this solution?

I think it is a perfect option. Although the dark cave trolls that seem to reside here tend to overreact, I agree a power/HDD LED shouldn't be too bright. But this doesn't seem to be too bright and since all the light is probably reflected in the I/O casing itself because of the small transparant logo on the button, I'll doubt we'll have the power-signal projected on our walls.

It's not about being a "dark cave" troll or not, mate. The fact of the matter is that most of the led's used today are far brighter than needed. For instance, I have 3 led's on my desktop alone (computer ain't on the desktop). a) The headphone amp/dac, b) the U2311 and c) The keyboard. The first one is FAR TOO BRIGHT. You could probably read with it in a 100% dark room; the blue one on the monitor isn't that bright... but it's also A PITA. If I want to see a movie.. it distracts; and, the last one... the one on my Filco: it's plain perfect because you see the colour red, but it's not bright, which is the way it should be, a plain color notification to know that the thing is working.

IMO, this little details are important, and it isn't about the colour... but the fact that a bright led is as useful as a non-bright one... but a far lesser pita.

@Zangmonkey: I don't understand your solution, not at all. For starters, it's obvious that every psu on the market is using a cheap-ass fan... sure, there the worst and not that bad ones... but none is truly good. What you have to understand is that the air flow needed for that psu will depend on the load you plan to apply to it: if you have a Titan in mind that such psu, you better pack a powerful fan, or you might toast something. However, if you barely plan to load the psu (or, say, go for a max of 60%), you could do with a lower rpm fan, specially if it has high-pressure.

To me, it's very simple. The New Version of the Silverstone SFX psu is louder at idle, and more silent at load (then the old one). If you plan to use the psu at load, don't bother modding it... but, if you plan to use it a idle or 50% load, you should go for the mod.

I'll probably swap out the LED on the power switch with a white one. I think it'll suit the case better, but i understand the need to re-use lian-li's parts.

If it's as bright as the Fractal Array R2 (which Lian-Li OEM'd), then if you want to sleep at night with the case in the same room, you'll probably want to disable it.

I think it's worth noting, based on the SFX PSU thread and the noise-at-idle issues with the Silverstone Unit, That this case appears to offer enough space around an SFX PSU so that you user an externally mount a thicker, quieter, higher CFM fan.

Plenty of people have replaced the fan in their ST45SF-G but Silverstone indicated that these replacements may not operate as well at higher temperature loads. Tony stated that they did not simply stick in the cheapest fan they could (and I believe him).

However, the SFX form factor for PSUs isn't an inherent constraint in the M1... so a user could easily mount an external fan to the ST45SF-G to overcome any issues with noise/airflow.

Necere, can you confirm the available spacing around an SFX PSU in the M1 if users want to pursue this solution?
Sure, there's room for a mod like this. The only thing you give up really is the ability to mount two 3.5" drives in the HDD cage that attaches to the fan bracket. There's still enough room for a slim rad even.

@Zangmonkey: I don't understand your solution, not at all. For starters, it's obvious that every psu on the market is using a cheap-ass fan... sure, there the worst and not that bad ones... but none is truly good. What you have to understand is that the air flow needed for that psu will depend on the load you plan to apply to it: if you have a Titan in mind that such psu, you better pack a powerful fan, or you might toast something. However, if you barely plan to load the psu (or, say, go for a max of 60%), you could do with a lower rpm fan, specially if it has high-pressure.

To me, it's very simple. The New Version of the Silverstone SFX psu is louder at idle, and more silent at load (then the old one). If you plan to use the psu at load, don't bother modding it... but, if you plan to use it a idle or 50% load, you should go for the mod.

My point is that you don't need to find a thin fan for the mod (which Tony has indicated might compromise the device at higher temperatures).

You can find a excellent full-sized fan and attach it to the exterior of the PSU, removing the interior fan entirely

Sure, there's room for a mod like this. The only thing you give up really is the ability to mount two 3.5" drives in the HDD cage that attaches to the fan bracket. There's still enough room for a slim rad even.

Exactly what I was getting at. Thanks.

Box looks great! Minimalistic for sure.

To everyone freakin' out over the LED in the power button: calm down. It's probably not as bad as you think it is. If you don't like it, leave it disconnected.

My point is that you don't need to find a thin fan for the mod (which Tony has indicated might compromise the device at higher temperatures).

You can find a excellent full-sized fan and attach it to the exterior of the PSU, removing the interior fan entirely

My bad, didn't know the fan used in the SFX psu was slim. Yeah, not it makes a lot of sense, sorry.

Ooo cool box, man this thing is actually going to really happen I'm impressed.

And even though I'm definitely buying a first batch unit, what I really want is one in pearl white :D

Hey dunno if anyone noticed, but Ncase M1 is being talked about on the interwebz from a few weeks ago.

MaximumPC.com

Edit: After this case is done, and everything is sucessful. Any Plans for other case's ?

Last edited:
Let's first get this one done before jumping to other cases, this is two guys spending their spare time to make this project work. I think after the project is a success, they are free to ponder if they want to walk down this road again.

Let's first get this one done before jumping to other cases, this is two guys spending their spare time to make this project work. I think after the project is a success, they are free to ponder if they want to walk down this road again.

Yea I hear ya. Defiantly take a lot of hard work and a shit ton of time.

I'll be buying one, regardless if i build a PC or not. I've had a Black Pearl in my Closet for 2 years now and still waiting for that build.

Hey dunno if anyone noticed, but Ncase M1 is being talked about on the interwebz from a few weeks ago.

MaximumPC.com
Yeah, MaxPC was pretty much the first tech site that did an article on our project. W360 actively emailed several different sites to see who would be interested in covering and/or p/reviewing the case; the guy over at MaxPC liked the project and wrote an article. It think that early publicity really helped get the ball rolling on the campaign - TechSpot and PC Perspective ran stories at about the same time, and Tom's picked it up not long after. I also wrote a press release, which is a pretty important thing to do - it gives the journos the key bits of info they need to write a decent article. The easier you can make their job, the better :)

Edit: After this case is done, and everything is sucessful. Any Plans for other case's ?
We'll see how things go. I have a few ideas bouncing around, I'll say that much.

Yeah, MaxPC was pretty much the first tech site that did an article on our project. W360 actively emailed several different sites to see who would be interested in covering and/or p/reviewing the case; the guy over at MaxPC liked the project and wrote an article. It think that early publicity really helped get the ball rolling on the campaign - TechSpot and PC Perspective ran stories at about the same time, and Tom's picked it up not long after. I also wrote a press release, which is a pretty important thing to do - it gives the journos the key bits of info they need to write a decent article. The easier you can make their job, the better :)

We'll see how things go. I have a few ideas bouncing around, I'll say that much.
Yep, press releases are a must! If you need any PR help in the future for other projects, I'll probably still be around. ;)

Back