NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I just ordered the M1 yesterday. (Asus Z170I Pro Gaming , Corsair AIO, EVGA 1080-FE, Corsair SF600 etc, to be ordered shortly)

To make the build easier, should I get a set of custom, shortened power cables, and is there one brand over another you would recommend? And how do I know what length to have the cables shortened to?

Is there a log, website post, or YouTube video describing the build in detail with my specific components that you are aware of? Any help/ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

I got a set of custom cables for my SF450 and found it much easier and cleaner. As far as I know the only companies selling custom cables for the SF series are Configurator | CableMod Global Store and Custom Corsair SF Series Cables Prices seem to be about the same. I got a set of EnSourced and from watching videos on the CableMod the quality seems very similar. Same with color options and lengths available. I have a Gigabyte Z170N and the 24 pin and 8 pin are in the same position. I went with 30cm for both 24 and 8 pin. 20cm for the SATA power connection which I have in the front ODD slot and 20cm for the pci power connection. I wish I had gone with 30cm for the pci power because I had to go over the top of the video card rather than wrap it beneath it, which is what I would have preferred to do. Link to my build if you want to take a look. r98farmer's Completed Build - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 970 4GB - PCPartPicker

May I ask what your reason was for choosing X99 over Z170? From what I was able to learn (with a minimum of research) X99 benefits SLI builds. Are there other arguments for X99 over Z170?

Thanks for the question. Several reasons factored into my decision to go X99. But please take these with a grain of salt as they are more OCD/principle-based than rational ;). First of all, there are no Z170 boards right now that I really like. When I was doing my research, all of them had either performance, functionality, or aesthetic flaws. I almost went with the EVGA Stinger board, even though it's severely lacking in features, just because it looks good and seems of solid build quality.

I did, however, really like the ASRock X99 board. It's good looking, very well-featured, very well-built, and has received a lot of praise. I love that ASRock defied conventional thinking and poured engineering resources into creating the first and only ITX X99 board -- they did a great job and it shows. So when I did the math, going ASRock X99E-ITX/ac + a 6800K was going to cost me roughly $200 more than if I'd gone with a Z170 board + a 6700K.

So for that $200, I'd get an engineering marvel of a board that went with my color scheme, had all the features I needed, including USB 3.1, and more. I'd get a CPU with 2 extra cores, 15MB of cache, and direct PCIe connections to the board's M.2 slot and some of its I/O. I don't do video editing or streaming, but I multitask a lot. I usually have 100+ tabs open in Chrome, a lot of them paused YouTube videos, and 10+ Word/Excel documents open among other productivity tasks, and a movie or 2 playing, and I often want to be able to just alt+tab all of that and play a video game. It's really less multitasking as it is heavy procrastination and a severe case of attention deficit disorder. My mind just wonders all the time and I need more cores to accommodate that behavior :D. I also think it's more future-proof as multi-threaded utilization will only increase in the future, including in gaming with DX12. I also have a discrete graphics card, and having half of my CPU die be integrated graphics that I will never use just seemed like a waste. Plus, I'd always built budget PCs in the past, and I wanted to finally join the enthusiast club, albeit with the entry level offering.

So that was my rationale. When I drew the line, the extra $200 was worth it. It's actually only $100 if you're considering the ASUS Maximus VIII Impact for the Z170 build, which is inferior to the ASRock board in my view. So that was my thought process. All of that being said, I can see how a Skylake build would be preferable, especially for a budget and/or gaming rig. It's also a newer architecture.

Last edited:
I got a set of custom cables for my SF450 and found it much easier and cleaner. As far as I know the only companies selling custom cables for the SF series are Configurator | CableMod Global Store and Custom Corsair SF Series Cables Prices seem to be about the same. I got a set of EnSourced and from watching videos on the CableMod the quality seems very similar. Same with color options and lengths available. I have a Gigabyte Z170N and the 24 pin and 8 pin are in the same position. I went with 30cm for both 24 and 8 pin. 20cm for the SATA power connection which I have in the front ODD slot and 20cm for the pci power connection. I wish I had gone with 30cm for the pci power because I had to go over the top of the video card rather than wrap it beneath it, which is what I would have preferred to do. Link to my build if you want to take a look. r98farmer's Completed Build - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 970 4GB - PCPartPicker
Thanks. I checked out the pics of your build... sweet. Want to sell it? :)

Do you think the cable lengths would be the same with the Z170 Asus Pro Gaming MB? I think somewhere in this massive thread someone had listed his shortened cable lengths for my setup...I'll check.

In my experience, you really need cool air blowing onto the power supply. Just having it intake from the outside is not enough to quiet it down. Check out my posts in this thread as I went through something very similar.

Thanks so much for the input! I went back and read your posts. I've actually been thinking a lot about how to set up my M1 to minimize/eliminate noise from the SF600 as it is, indeed, like a jet engine at load in the SG13 now. I really do not want to set up my AIO fan as exhaust, however, nor any other fans. I am a dust freak, and my no-dust OCD slightly exceeds my no-noise OCD. I really want maximum pressure in the case, and I'll be using Demciflex filters on the side and bottom for intake filtration, and even at the top to prevent dust from settling in (and on the PSU if rotated out).

So with that consideration, I do have only a single 120mm AIO, and I will be installing just a fan next to it (and maybe a single intake fan at the bottom under the GPU intake). I thought about installing the AIO over the motherboard, rotating the PSU to intake from the inside, and having the other intake fan blow air into it. But then I thought about it, and figured that that air would be mixed with warm air from the adjacent radiator + generally warmer air from within the case, so while the PSU would receive airflow, that air would be warmer, plus the fan is quite a ways off of the PSU, so the PSU fan would still have to spin up to intake. And considering outside air is cooler, won't it ultimately run quieter if I just had it intake from the outside? I don't know... I can't figure out which will be better. What's your opinion on this? (or anyone else's).

It's interesting in your case the bottom intake fans made the difference. I think part of the reason for that is because you have the Hybrid graphics card, so very little of that intake air is used by the card, and a lot of it reaches the top, where you previously had the PSU starved for air as everything around it is exhausting. My config will be different, so... input is appreciated. :)

Good luck with the build.

I have not yet ordered my other components, but I'm leaning to:
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700k, Corsair AIO, EVGA FE 1080 I think is the one I need to get (blows out), Corsair LPX DDR4 (2x8GB), 1TB SSD, and the Corsair SF600 (debating getting the custom shorter cables).

I am concerned with the build, as over the years I have assembled 5-6 large case rigs with lots of room to work in.

That's a great board for a Skylake build, and you can't go wrong with a Corsair AIO. The 1080 FE is a bad deal.... If you can hold out for another month or so aftermarket cards will start appearing for $80-90 less. You won't receive your M1 for another 3-4 weeks anyway, so it's worth waiting to see what availability will be like in the coming weeks, unless you're planning on housing your build elsewhere in the meantime. Be advised, there is no short cable set for the SF600. Silverstone's set will NOT work, as the wiring is different on the SF600 -- unless you meant custom sleeved cables, but those are quite bulky, and not ideal in the M1 in my view. The cables included with the SF600 are already pretty short. They are stiff as hell though... I'm not sure if I'll be able to install both of my SSDs stacked on top of each other in the M1. I may have to do one drive behind the front panel, and one drive behind it on the inside.

Last edited:
Thanks. I checked out the pics of your build... sweet. Want to sell it? :)

Do you think the cable lengths would be the same with the Z170 Asus Pro Gaming MB? I think somewhere in this massive thread someone had listed his shortened cable lengths for my setup...I'll check.

The 24 pin and 8 pin power are in the same place on the Asus as they are on my Gigabyte.

Modding PSUs can be very dangerous for people that don't know what they are doing. I don't blame someone for not wanting to take that risk.

no its not! unplug power cord, hit power button a couple time to discharge and its perfectly safe. if its never been powered up then there is no worry either. ive replaced dozens of psu fans and never had a problem.

Wait, why doesn't everyone just mod their PSUs with Noctuas then? I was always wondering why Noctua hasn't partnered with a PSU manufacturer to make a "super silent psu".

If a buyer mods it then no warranty. If manufacturers added better fans prices go up. So kind of a catch 22.
Me, ill thoroughly test something first to make sure it works then i have no problem voiding a warranty. Or i make sure it's undoable or i have cash to replace it. Especially if OCing is involved since that instantly voids warranty. Add a water block to your video card, warranty void. Pretty much anything I'd do with my personal system voids warranty. No guts no glory!

I apparently got lucky, I had to leave the side panel off of my case to make sure the fan on my SF450 was even coming on. It is but so quiet I can't hear it.

Hi everyone!

I built my rig a month ago. Since there has been some interest in EK Predator here, I can thereby confirm it fits in the NCASE. Yes, you do have to turn it upside down which is not recommended by the manual. However, checking the instructions of the pump itself, it seems that the orientation is OK in that regard. So the only reason this way is not recommended is because the reservoir is below the pump I think.

The cooler works well and is totally silent in desktop use. Since there is no sound insulation and since my hearing is quite sensitive, I can hear some high pitched whining from the pump if the computer is less than one meter away. Under the desk I hear totally nothing. After 30mins of Prime95 torture test the temps seemed to reach an equilibrium of 63c/1200rpm with a non-overclocked 2500k. Fans are audible but not distracting.

If you guys are considering EK Predator, I recommend 2 x 90deg + 2 x 45deg fittings, as this way the tubing is much less painful to get inside. Also you have to shorten the tubings quite a bit, so you do need to refill and prime the system. The radiator itself fits inside without any violence with some fiddling. If you have any questions regarding this I'm happy to answer!

Last edited:
I've actually been thinking a lot about how to set up my M1 to minimize/eliminate noise from the SF600 as it is, indeed, like a jet engine at load in the SG13 now.

I apparently got lucky, I had to leave the side panel off of my case to make sure the fan on my SF450 was even coming on. It is but so quiet I can't hear it.

So, what about these mixed reports of fan noise of the Corsair SF PSUs? I've read similar reports on Amazon and now I'm unsure if I should keep the SF450 on my shopping list or go for something else. I could go for a water-cooled PSUs if I'd have to but I doubt that's necessary. I've never heard my old Thermaltake ATX PSU. There must be silent SFX out there...

So, what about these mixed reports of fan noise of the Corsair SF PSUs? I've read similar reports on Amazon and now I'm unsure if I should keep the SF450 on my shopping list or go for something else. I could go for a water-cooled PSUs if I'd have to but I doubt that's necessary. I've never heard my old Thermaltake ATX PSU. There must be silent SFX out there...

I have the SF600 and it is whisper quiet. Could be that there is some variation in their quality because I've never had this quiet PSU. The marketed passive mode is bullshit though, once the fan starts spinning (1min after gaming) it never stops even in idle. But it spins really slow and I cannot hear it unless I put my ear next to it.

I usually have 100+ tabs open in Chrome, a lot of them paused YouTube videos, and 10+ Word/Excel documents open among other productivity tasks, and a movie or 2 playing, and I often want to be able to just alt+tab all of that and play a video game.

Now that's a use case, explains a lot :) My case is the complete opposite: I'm closing my incognito-forced Chrome every hour or so, hardly utilizing the cores of my 5yo rig even while gaming. The only component I deem important to include is a SM951 NVMe 256G (M.2 2280), ruled out almost all available mITX boards. It was interesting to see that your ASRock would also work, although it wouldn't give me a benefit over my current choise (ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming). Except for the ECC option if I'd walk the Xeon path.

Thanks for the insights (y)

Browser tabs eat RAM. They don't utilize multiple cores effectively at all.

I have the SF600 and it is whisper quiet. Could be that there is some variation in their quality because I've never had this quiet PSU. The marketed passive mode is bullshit though, once the fan starts spinning (1min after gaming) it never stops even in idle. But it spins really slow and I cannot hear it unless I put my ear next to it.

Same with my SF600. Even at 50-60W load, the fan still spins.

Browser tabs eat RAM. They don't utilize multiple cores effectively at all.

Same with my SF600. Even at 50-60W load, the fan still spins.

I've seen several reports of that too, I seem to have gotten really lucky with my SF450. Not only is it quite but the fan actually seems to run the way it is supposed to, starts up during load but will shut itself down when idle.

Thanks so much for the input! I went back and read your posts. I've actually been thinking a lot about how to set up my M1 to minimize/eliminate noise from the SF600 as it is, indeed, like a jet engine at load in the SG13 now. I really do not want to set up my AIO fan as exhaust, however, nor any other fans. I am a dust freak, and my no-dust OCD slightly exceeds my no-noise OCD. I really want maximum pressure in the case, and I'll be using Demciflex filters on the side and bottom for intake filtration, and even at the top to prevent dust from settling in (and on the PSU if rotated out).

So with that consideration, I do have only a single 120mm AIO, and I will be installing just a fan next to it (and maybe a single intake fan at the bottom under the GPU intake). I thought about installing the AIO over the motherboard, rotating the PSU to intake from the inside, and having the other intake fan blow air into it. But then I thought about it, and figured that that air would be mixed with warm air from the adjacent radiator + generally warmer air from within the case, so while the PSU would receive airflow, that air would be warmer, plus the fan is quite a ways off of the PSU, so the PSU fan would still have to spin up to intake. And considering outside air is cooler, won't it ultimately run quieter if I just had it intake from the outside? I don't know... I can't figure out which will be better. What's your opinion on this? (or anyone else's).

It's interesting in your case the bottom intake fans made the difference. I think part of the reason for that is because you have the Hybrid graphics card, so very little of that intake air is used by the card, and a lot of it reaches the top, where you previously had the PSU starved for air as everything around it is exhausting. My config will be different, so... input is appreciated. :)

That's a great board for a Skylake build, and you can't go wrong with a Corsair AIO. The 1080 FE is a bad deal.... If you can hold out for another month or so aftermarket cards will start appearing for $80-90 less. You won't receive your M1 for another 3-4 weeks anyway, so it's worth waiting to see what availability will be like in the coming weeks, unless you're planning on housing your build elsewhere in the meantime. Be advised, there is no short cable set for the SF600. Silverstone's set will NOT work, as the wiring is different on the SF600 -- unless you meant custom sleeved cables, but those are quite bulky, and not ideal in the M1 in my view. The cables included with the SF600 are already pretty short. They are stiff as hell though... I'm not sure if I'll be able to install both of my SSDs stacked on top of each other in the M1. I may have to do one drive behind the front panel, and one drive behind it on the inside.

AIO over your motherboard as intake - extra fan in the other slot as intake - PSU as intake from the back of the case
I think this setup would be okay, and should keep the PSU quiet. It will depend on how much hot air the AIO is dumping into the case, and there is really only one way to find out for sure though :facepalm:

I've seen several reports of that too, I seem to have gotten really lucky with my SF450. Not only is it quite but the fan actually seems to run the way it is supposed to, starts up during load but will shut itself down when idle.

There is a lot of mixed information out there, but it sounded like the SF600 actually has a more aggresive fan profile set up on it than the SF450. There was also some mention of early samples being sent out with inaccurate fan profiles, but that may have been limited to review units that were sent out. In my case, the noise was directly linked to airflow and ambient temperatures. It would be nice if there was a way to determine what batch we had from Corsair, because I had my psu for around a week before reviews started popping up.

Thanks.

Two questions... (1) With some folks feeling the Corsair SF600 is too loud, then what is the BEST/HIGHEST QUALITY alternative to that PSU that is compatible w/ the M1 and the Asus Z170?, (2) I have been reading/viewing some excellent reviews of the EKWB Predator 240 AIO.... First, will it fit the M1, and second, is it better than the Corsair H100iv2 AIO? Oops, I think that might be 3 questions...

Thanks.

Two questions... (1) With some folks feeling the Corsair SF600 is too loud, then what is the BEST/HIGHEST QUALITY alternative to that PSU that is compatible w/ the M1 and the Asus Z170?, (2) I have been reading/viewing some excellent reviews of the EKWB Predator 240 AIO.... First, will it fit the M1, and second, is it better than the Corsair H100iv2 AIO? Oops, I think that might be 3 questions...

How to search a thread.png

Hi everyone!

I built my rig a month ago. Since there has been some interest in EK Predator here, I can thereby confirm it fits in the NCASE. Yes, you do have to turn it upside down which is not recommended by the manual. However, checking the instructions of the pump itself, it seems that the orientation is OK in that regard. So the only reason this way is not recommended is because the reservoir is below the pump I think.

The cooler works well and is totally silent in desktop use. Since there is no sound insulation and since my hearing is quite sensitive, I can hear some high pitched whining from the pump if the computer is less than one meter away. Under the desk I hear totally nothing. After 30mins of Prime95 torture test the temps seemed to reach an equilibrium of 63c/1200rpm with a non-overclocked 2500k. Fans are audible but not distracting.

If you guys are considering EK Predator, I recommend 2 x 90deg + 2 x 45deg fittings, as this way the tubing is much less painful to get inside. Also you have to shorten the tubings quite a bit, so you do need to refill and prime the system. The radiator itself fits inside without any violence with some fiddling. If you have any questions regarding this I'm happy to answer!

I have the M1 case on order (mid-August delivery). I was thinking of the EKWB Predator 240 AIO over the Corsair H100iV2, but with your description of what has to be done to it, that may be over my 'pay-grade' and level of patience...unfortunately.

Last edited:
I have the M1 case on order (mid-August delivery). I was thinking of the EKWB Predator 240 AIO over the Corsair H100iV2, but with your description of what has to be done to it, that may be over my 'pay-grade' and level of patience...unfortunately.

Try and find a Corsair H100 v1 if you can, it has swivel barbs on the block, v2 doesn't. Makes it much easier to route your tubing.

The biggest reason for me to go with EKWB was expandability, as I am planning to add the GPU to the loop too. In most AIO:s you can not unplug the tubings, but on this one you have standard fittings that allow easy expansion. Cutting the tubes (with scissors!) and putting the angled fittings was not complicated at all, neither was refilling the system. Just make sure you don't over tighten the fittings! Also, there are some refurbished models on EKWB:s own site for sale, thats the one I bought.

For those interested in the EVGA gtx 1070 sc, it might not be the best choice. I get temps that reach 81-82° while gaming (Witcher 3, ultra) which means thermal throttling. As many stated before, a blower style GPU might be preferable.

However, gaming with the left side panel open yields temps around 71--75°.

ps: Do note that I'm working with a 26° ambiant in this Parisian summer ^^

exhale Did you mod this yourself ?

For those interested in the EVGA gtx 1070 sc, it might not be the best choice. I get temps that reach 81-82° while gaming (Witcher 3, ultra) which means thermal throttling. As many stated before, a blower style GPU might be preferable.

However, gaming with the left side panel open yields temps around 71--75°.

ps: Do note that I'm working with a 26° ambiant in this Parisian summer ^^

exhale Did you mod this yourself ?

Judging by reviews, thats the quietest GTX 1070 while being one of the smaller, so it should be the best fit possible for the M1. Did you duct the GPU fans or added bottom fans for intake?

I have made a window cut in my Black Ncase M1
What can i use to cover the aluminium line where the cut is? Just af regular black pensil?

Hi,

a question regarding the sx700 PSU : Silverstone SX700-LPT 700W Platinum SFX-L
it s an SFX L PSU, so if I understand correctly this PSU is bigger than the PSU corsair Sf450?
and you can not put it with a full size gtx 1080 founder edition.
is that right?

thanks
SFX-L power supplies should fit just fine with long video cards, albeit tightly. It likely won't be a joy to work in, but it'll fit just fine, IIRC

SFX-L power supplies should fit just fine with long video cards, albeit tightly. It likely won't be a joy to work in, but it'll fit just fine, IIRC

The Silverstone SX500-LG did cause some pressure onto the backside of long GPUs with backplates. Even GPUs without backplates often had the PS cables touching the backside of the PCB. The newer SX700-LPT has power connectors that are more flush with the surface of the power supply so this should provide a few millimeters of additional space between PS cables and GPUs.

So it s seems that this PSU is the New King for the NCASE?
May be add some custom câble to make it easier to manage.
Thinking about this PSU plus a gtx 1080 moded with an arctic accéléro xtrem III.

I will probably be getting a 1070 to replace my 970. What would be the best card to get (as in power, OC potential etc) if I was to remove the cooler and add the accelero III with 2 fans under?

I will probably be getting a 1070 to replace my 970. What would be the best card to get (as in power, OC potential etc) if I was to remove the cooler and add the accelero III with 2 fans under?

I am also getting ready to get a 1070 but do to the fact that I am going to water cool it that limits my choices to either FE, MSI Aero or the Gigabyte G1 Gaming. I have a G1 Gaming motherboard so will probably go that route. The one card I would look at is the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Extreme Gaming.
It is a large card though.Width is 5.51 inches so it should just fit, the power connectors are offset and looks like they should work. It is also a thick card and you wouldn't be able to put any fans or drives below it. The interesting thing is the cooling. It has 3 fans but only the outer 2 blow in toward the heatsink, the middle blows down. Supposed to have improved cooling and it seems to work. I am curious how that would work in a M1, if the middle fan would help expel the heat out of the bottom. It also has 8+6pin power connectors and a healthy factory OC.

The biggest reason for me to go with EKWB was expandability, as I am planning to add the GPU to the loop too. In most AIO:s you can not unplug the tubings, but on this one you have standard fittings that allow easy expansion. Cutting the tubes (with scissors!) and putting the angled fittings was not complicated at all, neither was refilling the system. Just make sure you don't over tighten the fittings! Also, there are some refurbished models on EKWB:s own site for sale, thats the one I bought.

I would have gone for the model with the Quick Disconnect fitting, that would allow you to buy a full-cover GPU water cooling block from EK pre-filled with the same Quick Disconnect attached. THAT would allow you to just unhook one QD & patch in the GPU…!

Back