NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. Guess I'll stick with the 240mm EK Slim one then

I'm running the EK CoolStream SE 240 on the bottom of my M1, with a pair of Silverstone 15mm fans and while it does the job, water temps are toasty after heavy gaming (Delta T of ~37C, which isn't great, i5-6600K and a GTX970 in the same loop).
I'm planning on adding an additional 120mm rad across from the side panel which should help a bit but, depending on what pump/res you're using, if you can fit another 240 rad on the side, you'll be laughing.

Does anyone know if the Be Quiet ! Shadow Rock LP will fit the M1 .... Specs look like it should in at least one orientation but depending on the MB does the case stop it being fit in any way ?

Hi, I have just purchased my Ncase M1 and while i wait for it to be sent i am looking into purchasing new custom sleeved cabling instead of using the included silverstone cabling.

Has any one with the Ncase M1 used the ModDIY premium sleeved cable set for the Silverstone SFX600G PSU (being my first post i cannot post links)? I am more interested in the included 6 Pin to 4xSATA Power Supply Modular Cable - 16CM + 3CM + 12CM + 3CM and how it fits with two 3.5" HDD's mounted on the side bracket as well as one SSD and a slim slot load bluray drive?

Cheers,
Tim

i need a cpu cooler for ncase-m1 witch i use as a HTPC so it need to be slient i dont have video card in it i use AMD APU and on a cpu Socket type FM2+

i need a cpu cooler for ncase-m1 witch i use as a HTPC so it need to be slient i dont have video card in it i use AMD APU and on a cpu Socket type FM2+

In my current setup i am using the Cryorig C1 which will fit the FM2+ socket and has a low profile large radiator with a 140mm fan and it is very quite. Their website states the noise level is between 20 - 24dBA (700 - 1300rpm).

I did have to take the heatsinks off my RAM though (Corsair Vengeance) in order for the radiator to fit. But i have been very happy with this cpu cooler.

So i bought a M1 v5 and hardware (6700K, Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI, 2*16GB DDR4, SSDs M.2 & BX100, SX500 LG) and all i need now is the watercooling and the graphic card.
For the GPU I'm waiting the next polaris or pascal generation but as they'll probably use more or less the same ammout of power than current high end gpus, i think i can already begin planning the wc.

I'm thinking about either a full EK wc with EVO wb for CPU, the compatible full cover EK GPU wb when available, a DCC and one or two radiators and consider options.

Does EK-Coolstream 38mm thick PE radiators fit in the upper slot or do i need 26mm SE radiators instead? (for use with 25mm fans) And does it make a big difference for cooling?
Does is worth putting a second 240mm radiator under the graphic card with 12mm fans?
Does the EK-XLC 240 Predator with pump included fit in the M1?
Is it possible to set a 120mm radiator + DCC + needed tubing under the graphic card (with full cover wb)?
About the pump, is it best to go for an Apogee Drive 2 (or a predator if it fits) or a separate DCC with EK top? (dont know if it fit, inlet seems to be on top)
Any insight about the best or a better choice?

My CPU cooler is currently a Scythe Kabuto II, would replacing it with a Noctua NH-C14S be an upgrade? I'm thinking the larger 140mm fan would mean less noise and lower temps?

If you are going to get another air cooler and want to get rid of your kabuto let me know!

I was thinking the same thing, that Kabuto II is much more valuable in my eyes as it fits perfectly over the left 120mm fan space on the fan bracket, which would allow complete usage of the right part. 140mm fans in the Ncase are blocked for a good portion of their increased size so to me it seems wasted. I have yet to see my CPU go over 65°C when 100% loaded with the fan set quite low. I could very well move the entire fan curve down if the noise bothered me but the Kabuto keeps my i5-4670K in check easily.

And I thought I was a fan of the Ncase M1 :eek:

And now the expected questions: which performs the quietest, which one you like to work on the most, which one is the most versatile ?
The setup with the NH-U9B SE2 is the most quiet mainly because the GPU is a 750 Ti. I definitely enjoy working on my main PC, the one with the NH-C14. I honestly think all of them are equally versatile ever since I upgraded all the HDDs to 2.5 inches.

I was thinking the same thing, that Kabuto II is much more valuable in my eyes as it fits perfectly over the left 120mm fan space on the fan bracket, which would allow complete usage of the right part. 140mm fans in the Ncase are blocked for a good portion of their increased size so to me it seems wasted. I have yet to see my CPU go over 65°C when 100% loaded with the fan set quite low. I could very well move the entire fan curve down if the noise bothered me but the Kabuto keeps my i5-4670K in check easily.

agreed, i have been trying to find a kabuto, c14, darkrock tf, or phanteks cooler second hand or cheaper but have had no luck. I will probably just end up buying the kabuto even though i was wanting the c14 to mod to fit with the hdd cage

this case is not available, but the Lian-li PC-Q10 seems like a direct knockoff. Anyone have any thoughts on this case? I am concerned a bit about its size.

The PC-Q10 is about the same length as the M1, but it's taller and wider. This is how it can have a 120 mm rear exhaust fan. In summary, the total volume is 50 % greater: 19.2 L vs. 12.6 L.

So i bought a M1 v5 and hardware (6700K, Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI, 2*16GB DDR4, SSDs M.2 & BX100, SX500 LG) and all i need now is the watercooling and the graphic card.
For the GPU I'm waiting the next polaris or pascal generation but as they'll probably use more or less the same ammout of power than current high end gpus, i think i can already begin planning the wc.

I'm thinking about either a full EK wc with EVO wb for CPU, the compatible full cover EK GPU wb when available, a DCC and one or two radiators and consider options.

Does EK-Coolstream 38mm thick PE radiators fit in the upper slot or do i need 26mm SE radiators instead? (for use with 25mm fans) And does it make a big difference for cooling?
Does is worth putting a second 240mm radiator under the graphic card with 12mm fans?
Does the EK-XLC 240 Predator with pump included fit in the M1?
Is it possible to set a 120mm radiator + DCC + needed tubing under the graphic card (with full cover wb)?
About the pump, is it best to go for an Apogee Drive 2 (or a predator if it fits) or a separate DCC with EK top? (dont know if it fit, inlet seems to be on top)
Any insight about the best or a better choice?

There's only enough space for something like a CoolStream SE 240 under a GPU with full-cover block (GTX970).
I added a picture of my build with a ruler for scale a couple of pages back.
Problem is, as I'm discovering myself, it's not really enough on its own with 15mm fans to keep the water temperature down enough as it's a really dense fin design and thin fans don't push much air.
It's fine at idle and I can barely hear either the 15mm fans nor the pump (EK Xres D5) but things ramp up to a reasonable about of noise when the gaming starts. It's still not massively loud though.

I'm planning on adding a 120mm CoolStream PE and Noctua 25mm fan across from the CPU (I have the Supremacy MX block on an i5-6600K) as, based on some measurements with a ruler, it should fit just fine (~63mm).
I'll need to switch to soft tubing for the two links into this radiator simply to allow me to remove the side panel.

Depending on how you go with the pump, you would probably be able to fit a pair of 240mm radiators in the case although it'll be a little cramped; a thin one on the bottom and a thicker one on the side.

Hope this helps!

Which fan would people go for, for a single 120mm radiator on the side of the M1 (in addition to a 240 on the floor)?
Is it a case of "either will do the job" and I have to choose between noise and performance?

Pretty much, the industrial will push more air and be louder. But they are both good and not that loud. It is just personal preference at that point.

sorry I suppose I should have said not available "now". I don't have a computer as I just sold mine, so waiting until may is not really feasible.

You can do what i did and fashion a badass cardboard box case until it arrives. It was well worth it, there is not much better than the M1. It is worth the wait

To answer your question, the rear fan is intake while the 15mm's are exhaust through the floor.

Also, some more pictures!

View attachment 446
View attachment 447

As you can see, not a whole lot of space for those poor 15mm's, maybe 8mm at most :(

Thanks for the pics!! I'm definetely going for another 240mm SE Rad on the bottom now. As far as fans...Get the Industrial PPC's. They look badass and move tons of air!!

If you are going to get another air cooler and want to get rid of your kabuto let me know!

I will. ;D

What are your idle temps? I'm getting around 50-53 C idle with an i7-4790K. GPU is GTX 980. I've set it to silent mode in the bios, not overclocking or anything. Just thinking it's a bit high for idle?

. . .

Depending on how you go with the pump, you would probably be able to fit a pair of 240mm radiators in the case although it'll be a little cramped; a thin one on the bottom and a thicker one on the side.

For my dual 240mm radiator build, I used a 27mm radiator in the bottom of the case, under the GPU. See Posts 14851 and 14852. Specifically, I used the Darkside LP240 Extra Slim radiator (27.5mm thick). As an alternative, the Magicool G2 Slim 240mm radiator (27mm thick) is available.

What are your idle temps? I'm getting around 50-53 C idle with an i7-4790K. GPU is GTX 980. I've set it to silent mode in the bios, not overclocking or anything. Just thinking it's a bit high for idle?
Mine's at 39-41°C with about 21°C ambient, Noctua NF-F12 fan at 550rpm with Ncase V5 dust filter. My i5-4670K runs at 1.15V all the time.

Hey guys, am I crazy or is there no way to get a noctua nh-c14 + any sort of GPU in there?

lisFqun.png

It might be hard to tell but it looks like there is just no room for the virtual of a GPU, it would just run into the fan.

Edit: it looks like you can slide those fans down, I think that'll give enough clearance... ignore this :)

You pointed it the wrong way. You will almost certainly need a PCIe extension for that orientation. The proper orientation, once you realise that your card won't fit, is towards the PSU and without the bottom fan.

You will almost certainly need a PCIe extension for that orientation.
Hold on hold on, does that mean that with an extension or riser cable and a graphics card in the bottom two slots, you could orient the C14 with the heat pipes facing up and get the bottom 140 mm fan to fit? I hadn't thought of that. I'll eyeball it later on my mobo (ASRock X99E-ITX/AC) and sift through the thread, but has anyone tried this? Could potentally offer better cooling on the CPU and GPU, better clearance for SFX-L power supplies. Sounds too good to be true.

You pointed it the wrong way. You will almost certainly need a PCIe extension for that orientation. The proper orientation, once you realise that your card won't fit, is towards the PSU and without the bottom fan.

You were absolutely correct, I took a look at some pictures and saw people were mounting it 90 degrees counter-clockwise to what I had pictured there. After I did that, I was able (with some difficulty) slot in the GPU. You really don't have much clearance on the PSU cables, but it works. I also put in a 120mm fan on the bottom of the case but I'm struggling to figure out what else to do for cooling, do people have luck moounting a 80mm fan on the rear for exhaust?

Hold on hold on, does that mean that with an extension or riser cable and a graphics card in the bottom two slots, you could orient the C14 with the heat pipes facing up and get the bottom 140 mm fan to fit? I hadn't thought of that. I'll eyeball it later on my mobo (ASRock X99E-ITX/AC) and sift through the thread, but has anyone tried this? Could potentally offer better cooling on the CPU and GPU, better clearance for SFX-L power supplies. Sounds too good to be true.

I don't see how you'd fit a fan on the bottom of this case if you put the GPU any lower than the very top slot. There's almost no clearance between the GPU and a Noctua NF-F12 120mm fan. Like, I'm not even 100% sure I can fit the dust filter in between the fan and the gpu.

Do you need a casefan below your GPU ? I hope it already has a fan or two. Others have used ducts to achieve having the fans as close to the bottom vents as possible.

No. The heatpipe ends protrude much further from the CPU socket than the heatpipe bends. Being able to fit the C14 in the direction ILikeVoltron did, does not mean that it will fit when turned 180 degrees. It would hit the top panel unless you found a motherboard with the socket right up against the PCIe slot.

EDIT: Unless you mean mounting it like ILikeVoltron did, in which case yes. Maybe not on an ASUS Impact because of the daughterboard. Using the heatpipes for orientation is difficult when we don't specify which part of the heatpipe :p Regardless, the cooling benefit vs 120 mm fans is negligible and heatpipes perform their worst in that orientation, probably negating the cooling entirely.

GUoHkQF.png

don't see how you'd fit a fan on the bottom of this case if you put the GPU any lower than the very top slot. There's almost no clearance between the GPU and a Noctua NF-F12 120mm fan. Like, I'm not even 100% sure I can fit the dust filter in between the fan and the gpu.

inchikiboze was referring to the C14 bottom fan pictured above, not the case bottom. The 140 mm fan doesn't fit on the C14 with an SFX PSU.

Last edited:
inchikiboze was referring to the C14 bottom fan pictured above, not the case bottom. The 140 mm fan doesn't fit on the C14 with an SFX PSU.

I know this because I tried it first and couldn't get it to fit. Man, I wish I would have just read that you can't do the bottom fan and the piping should be facing the left when I started and the whole mounting of that CPU fan would have gone so much smoother.

Has anybody stuck a Noctua NF-A8 PWM 80mm fan on the rear panel with a Noctua NH-C14 next to it? I'm doing the measurements with this C14 mounted and it's looking like it might be 1-2mm too thick. I've got this 80mm on order, which is a real bummer for me!

Has anybody stuck a Noctua NF-A8 PWM 80mm fan on the rear panel with a Noctua NH-C14 next to it? I'm doing the measurements with this C14 mounted and it's looking like it might be 1-2mm too thick. I've got this 80mm on order, which is a real bummer for me!

All of the 80mm Noctua fans look to be 25mm from their website, but the NF-A9x14 PWM is a 14mm 92mm fan. That may fit better in your build although with a slight noise/performance tradeoff. That said, you probably wouldn't need to run it at 100%.

There's only enough space for something like a CoolStream SE 240 under a GPU with full-cover block (GTX970).
I added a picture of my build with a ruler for scale a couple of pages back.
Problem is, as I'm discovering myself, it's not really enough on its own with 15mm fans to keep the water temperature down enough as it's a really dense fin design and thin fans don't push much air.
It's fine at idle and I can barely hear either the 15mm fans nor the pump (EK Xres D5) but things ramp up to a reasonable about of noise when the gaming starts. It's still not massively loud though.

I'm planning on adding a 120mm CoolStream PE and Noctua 25mm fan across from the CPU (I have the Supremacy MX block on an i5-6600K) as, based on some measurements with a ruler, it should fit just fine (~63mm).
I'll need to switch to soft tubing for the two links into this radiator simply to allow me to remove the side panel.

Hope this helps!

Nice build, it's good to know even a thin 240 with cramped 15mm fans can cool a full CPU+GPU config! The 120 SE with a 25mm fan should improve the temperature indeed.
In the NCTEKM1 build even swapping one fan from thin to 25mm improve the things a bit more.

I'm very attracted by the predator build as it seems to be possible even if very tight fit.

Unless you mean mounting it like ILikeVoltron did, in which case yes. Maybe not on an ASUS Impact because of the daughterboard. Using the heatpipes for orientation is difficult when we don't specify which part of the heatpipe :p Regardless, the cooling benefit vs 120 mm fans is negligible and heatpipes perform their worst in that orientation, probably negating the cooling entirely.
Thanks for the detailed reply, and sorry for the confusion. Yes, what I clumsily tried to say was to orient the C14 with the bends at the top, as iLikeVoltron had in the photo. So orienting it that way would make the cooler less efficient? I see now, that makes sense. If I can get my hands on a PCIe extension, I will give it a whirl just for fun. There would just seem to be so many potential advantages.

There is not enough room for a 25 mm thick fan. The thin 92 mm fan that MarkRWatts referred to fits.

Has anyone here done a comparison between GPU/Case temps with a reference GPU and multifan GPU (e.g. reference 980 vs an EVGA 980 or something)? I'd been considering only reference/blower GPUs but I know they are typically louder and also hotter than non reference cards.

Hi there,

I wanted to ask a question, because I encountered weird behavior with my build, which I think is not normal, but maybe I am wrong.
I am watercooling my components, both CPU and GPU. Temps in idle are GPU: 27°C and CPU 32°C with 22°C ambient. When the GPU is under load, it is slightly under 50°C. So that makes me think, that I didn't do something terribly wrong in general. But when I put the CPU under load with Prime95, it gets to 80°C in seconds and only stays at around 90°C, because the fans are ramping up to 100%. This was not a great problem in the past, because I use this machine for gaming only, where CPU load is usually a lot lower, but nevertheless this seems not to be normal behavior to me. Not to mention that the GPU is highly overclocked and the CPU is not at all.

GPU: Titan X, with full EK water block
CPU: i5 4690K, 3.5GHz, not overclocked, with EK Supremecy EVO water block

Side radiator: Magicool G2 slim 240 with 2 NB eLoop fans
Bottom radiator: Alphacool Nexxos ST 30 240 with 2 Sythe Slip Stream slim fans
Pump & Reservoir: Magicool DCP 450

I don't have an explaination for the high CPU temps. Do you maybe?

How did you managed to fit the pump with two 240mm rads?
Did you tightened the CPU waterblock screws enough?

About AIO integration i saw the Swiftech H220-X which seems to be shorter than the predator, does it fit the M1?

Back