NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I was going through my V1, V2, V3 accessories and noticed the 2.5 HD brackets have changed to allow for a closer fit on the V2 & V3 and also the brackets are no longer countersunk. Are we suppose to use non-countersunk screws on the newer revisions?
They were changed to non-countersunk because the ends of screws on the bottom and side of a drive could contact each other, which resulted in a loose fit, or in the worst case, stripping the threads. Making the holes non-countersunk was the simplest fix. You can use whichever screws you want with it.

would an ASUS ROG GTX 980ti Matrix platinum card fit this case?
No. Maximum height for the M1 is 140mm, while that card is 152mm. This information is readily available on our site and ASUS's site.

M.2 is just super tidy because you can ditch the SATA power and data cables.

I'd sooner recommend one of the SATA-over-M.2 850 Evos than go with a traditional form factor SSD. The M.2 850 Evo is pretty reasonably priced, especially against PCIe counterparts.

Last edited:
wahaha360 please answer my PMs

for now if you guys want to talk about this case make a new thread

thanks

The topic was locked before but it is now unlocked. Is it OK if we continue talking here ?
I don't think anyone has an idea why this has happened.

The topic was locked before but it is now unlocked. Is it OK if we continue talking here ?
I don't think anyone has an idea why this has happened.
Yes, it's fine. We just needed to clean up the OP and remove anything that might look like a sales post or site pimping, per the forum rules.

Well first off, which PSU are you looking at? I'd recommend getting an SFX-L PSU for lower noise levels and the V5 has the newer PSU bracket for better clearance.

Yes, air is in general quieter at idle. Air cooling is also more than enough for a simple i5.
If you want quiet CLC cooling, you can probably get one with an adjustable pump, but most CLC's will drown out the sound of your other components at idle.

Given the prices of RAM, no one would fault you for choosing 1x 16 GB for the time being, but that's up to you.

I don't know anything about the Acer XB271HU, but considering the quality control issues on the old Predator, I'd stick to the ROG Swift PG279Q at least until you see some reviews.

I have a real issue with that SSD though. Not only is it super overpriced for the capacity you get, it's also way overkill for 99% of users.
I'm biased, of course, as I already own regular old SATA SSD's and am satisfied, but still.
If you have to go for a fast M.2 drive, I'd get the 128 GB SM951 and a 2 TB HDD. At least downgrade to the 256 GB 950 PRO and a 1 TB HDD.

It's just so much money out the window and trust me, they'll cost half as much in 1½ year. I bought my first SSD, a 64 GB M4, in May 2011 for 700 DKK,
my second SSD, a 128 GB M4, in November 2012 for 700 DKK and a 120 GB M500 for my dad in March 2014 for 400 DKK. Price halved every time. New tech, man, it just drops in price so quickly.

Basically my goal for it to be quiet rather than an overclocked liquid cooling monster. That's why I'm trying to figure out a good quiet air cooler. I know the larger the heatsink/fan then quieter it will be. I've heard a lot of QC issues with the ROG Swift PG279Q as well. It's the same panel on the Acer, just different companies. I'm opting more for the Acer because it will be cheaper and I don't need all the gimmicks the ROG puts on their stand (since I have a monitor mount). The M.2 drive is mainly because as scatdied said below it saves space and you can ditch the SATA power/data cables. The 512 M.2 PRO = the 1TB SSD EVO in price so it's not that much extra space anyways. Plus I don't really need more space.

As for the RAM, I just figure I might as well max it. I have a lot of chrome tabs open and it helps.

I adjusted the CPU though to the i5. (who knows if intel will release another cpu by next year anyways? )

I wouldn't buy an M.2-SSD. Or at least only get the the smallest SM951 as suggested by XelNika. M.2-SSDs are a lot faster than SATA-SSDs, but as average user you won't notice the speed increase - unless you are constantly moving huge chunks of data, which in a case like the M1 without active cooling for the M.2-slot would quickly force the SSD to throttle.

Assuming that you are a more or less average user you won't gain anything from an M.2-SSD and you shouldn't spend that much money on that item. I would rather spend on large SATA-SSD if you need that space for games. Otherwise spend your money elsewhere. With the M.2-SSD out of the way, you also probably find other options for the mainboard (you don't seem to be that happy with your current choice).

I could say the same about the RAM: 32GB are overkill for an average user, and that won't change in the next three or four years. So if you aren't a poweruser in the media creation department, you probably want to consider a 16GB kit and save a lot of money.

As for the cooler: If you are considering an 120mm AiO-cooler, I don't see why you shouldn't go for a 240mm AiO-cooler instead. That's what the M1 was designed for. Is it because you are still using 3.5''-HDDs? In that case take some of the money you have just saved and spend it on a 2.5''-HDD.

I assume that you want to overclock. That's why you have picked that mainboard and a K-rated CPU, right? In the case I would go with a 240mm AiO-cooler. Yes, it is a bit louder in idle due to the pump, but you will need that extra cooling power for overclocking.

Personally I wouldn't overclock in the M1, especially not with GTX 980 Ti inside the case. Yes, it works. Many people do it. And there are some power supplies with enough power to do that. But just because you can do it doesn't mean that it is a good idea. I would rather pick the non-K Core i5 6600 and tweak the setup for less power drain and lower temperatures.

Well I'm using an H100 currently in my system. Any ideas if it would support the 1151 socket or the future sockets? I plan on using no HDD's in this case.

I changed the CPU to a non-k as well. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ntzhf7

M.2 is just super tidy because you can ditch the SATA power and data cables.

I'd sooner recommend one of the SATA-over-M.2 850 Evos than go with a traditional form factor SSD. The M.2 850 Evo is pretty reasonably priced, especially against PCIe counterparts.

That's basically my reason...

I just received my case and was wondering what is best configuration for radiator setup. Push or pull?

I just received my case and was wondering what is best configuration for radiator setup. Push or pull?

Generally pull, because of the fan hub, but it depends on the fans and how far they are from the radiator fins.

For all the m1 owners with custom wc loops, please help comment on some of these items. I'm planning to use the items below:
Apogee drive ii
Frozenq ncase res
Ek full cover gtx 980 block (originally wanted to get a clear one but now leaning towards black)
Hwlabs nemesis gts 240 rad
Gentle typhoon fans (or ek vadars)
Bitspower matt black fittings
Feser 1 uv lime green coolant
Primoflex advanced lrt 3/8"-5/8" tubing

Some things I'm not certain about, primoflex lists this on their site about the tubing
...however the use of alcohols, Ethylene Glycol and as well as any other harmful chemicals is strictly prohibited and will void your warranty.
I'm under the impression that the feser 1 falls in the do not use category. Originally I wanted to get some uv cold cathode tubes and line them on the sides of the case, hence the lime green coolant but now I'm not sure, thoughts?

I have a substantially similar build and just posted that I got two AIOs to work :D

Temps aren't amazing compared to custom liquid or a large open case, but they're much better than running a blower on the 980ti. And with the limited cpu cooler compatibility with narrow ilm combined with the small case, an AIO for the cpu makes sense.

It is a bit tricky to get two AIOs to fit though.

The main noise producing element is the psu and the fans, which I'm replacing.

15340 in Firestrike with only a moderate GPU overclock of 1200mhz base.

I'm gonna be getting a 80mm fan to exhaust some of that heat out the back.

Mind posting how you have the fans wired up, plan to have the extra fan setup?

"Stuffed" would be an accurate description. What I find more interesting is what looks like a 25mm thick fan w/ SE series radiator fits snuggly at the bottom. Maybe a 240mm SE w/ 20mm thick fans could fit as well?

For all the m1 owners with custom wc loops, please help comment on some of these items. I'm planning to use the items below:
Apogee drive ii
Frozenq ncase res
Ek full cover gtx 980 block (originally wanted to get a clear one but now leaning towards black)
Hwlabs nemesis gts 240 rad
Gentle typhoon fans (or ek vadars)
Bitspower matt black fittings
Feser 1 uv lime green coolant
Primoflex advanced lrt 3/8"-5/8" tubing

Some things I'm not certain about, primoflex lists this on their site about the tubing
...however the use of alcohols, Ethylene Glycol and as well as any other harmful chemicals is strictly prohibited and will void your warranty.
I'm under the impression that the feser 1 falls in the do not use category. Originally I wanted to get some uv cold cathode tubes and line them on the sides of the case, hence the lime green coolant but now I'm not sure, thoughts?

HQGcdLI.jpg

Pretty much same setup I have however I'm using Noctua Industrial PPC's, EKWB 240 PE Rad, and Mayhem Pastel White coolant.

"Stuffed" would be an accurate description. What I find more interesting is what looks like a 25mm thick fan w/ SE series radiator fits snuggly at the bottom. Maybe a 240mm SE w/ 20mm thick fans could fit as well?

Hey, I'm the OP of that reddit thread. Yeah that's an EK SE 120mm with a Noctua Industrial PPC. It does fit really snug, and I was kind of lucky actually!

The thing is that the rad needs to go over the case IO cables area, so as not to bend them severely, and also so the tubes go behind the GPU.

If you try to accomplish that with a slimmer fan, then the rad wouldn't fit as it would bump into the IO cables. Maybe 20mm would be ok though, but definitely not 15mm.

Hey, I'm the OP of that reddit thread. Yeah that's an EK SE 120mm with a Noctua Industrial PPC. It does fit really snug, and I was kind of lucky actually!

The thing is that the rad needs to go over the case IO cables area, so as not to bend them severely, and also so the tubes go behind the GPU.

If you try to accomplish that with a slimmer fan, then the rad wouldn't fit as it would bump into the IO cables. Maybe 20mm would be ok though, but definitely not 15mm.

Thank you for more details. Didn't think about the front I/O like you mentioned. Knowing how well that SE 120 fits is great though as 25mm thick fan options are much better.

Last edited:
Greetings all! Long time lurker, rare poster.

So I'm typing this on my new NCASE M1 V2 build. I've had the case since the V2 was shipped and have been waiting to replace my old Sandy box. The specs are a 6700K on Asus Z170I with an EVGA GeForce 980TI for GPU (blower style cooler). I have a 512GB Samsung M.2 950 PRO and a 6TB WD Black for storage, along with a currently disconnected Panasonic Blu-Ray burner. I'm using 32GB of Corsair DDR4 at 3200MHZ. All this is powered by a Silverstone 600 WATT SFX PSU.

The good news for everyone here that is considering a similar set up and wants to do air cooling, is that the Cryorig C1 will fit in this setup. However, you must remove the plastic shroud and swap to a 120MM fan. I am using a Thermalright 120mm that came with my old Venomous X for now. The 92mm rear fan port on the case will be blocked.

Another note about the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming: It has very weak SATA connectors. They flex quite a bit and one flexed right off my main board under minimal tension. I've never seen a board this weak. Lucky I'm fine with being down one port.

Also the combination of the Cryorig C1 with the Thermalright fan, EVGA 980TI with stock cooler, and PSU are very very quiet. Not as quiet as my old SPCR style builds, but quiet enough that I can't hear it over ambient until I play games.

Thanks to everyone who has posted info in this thread as it has been extremely useful. I'll toss up a few pics when I finish testing everything.

Last edited:
Hello world !

After month of reading this topic lurking in the shadows, I finally chose every component for my Ncase that I would like to share with you :

NCASE M1 v3
Silverstone SX500-LG
GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-WiFi, Intel Z170
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2x 8GB DDR4, PC4-25600 (3200MHz) CL16
Core i7 6700K
Noctua C14 w/ P14 140mm fan on top, P12 120mm fan on bottom
Samsung 500GB 850 EVO
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Panasonic UJ-265 BDRIP
and still looking at the complementary fans needed for the case.

Any advise/warning with such a configuration?

Only as mentioned above, with a lower fan on the C14 you'll most probably need a low profile USB3 header cable/adapter.

Also, the SX500-LG sounds a bit annoying when stressing the GPU, a whine/buzz and a tick from the fan. I'm sure this has been gone into on the board somewhere I just haven't read through it all yet.

Hello again,

Here is a quick report of what I experienced after mounting my Ncase.

For those who followed my troubles with Gigabyte (btw, thank's again @Urelure, iFreilicht and Qrash for advise), I chose to buy a second time the same mainboard (and for the last time at Gigabyte).

Useful information are :

1. You don't need any low profile USB3 header with GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-WiFi and Noctua C14
2. The P12 120mm fan on bottom of C14 cooler also fit well, even with USB3 connected
3. MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G fit well, even with standard SX500-LG cable
4. Unfortunately, I confirm a little whine/buzz with SX500-LG when I stick my ear to the NCase.

So, many thank's for all your great advise on this topic, it definitely helped me to make my choice wisely. I'll try to bring you some pics soon.

Pretty much same setup I have however I'm using Noctua Industrial PPC's, EKWB 240 PE Rad, and Mayhem Pastel White coolant.
is that orientation of the apogee the only way it will fit? is it possible for you to help me measure how far the inlet/outlet port sticks out from the mountings holes? i have asus z170i and would prefer to mount the apoggee in the horizontal position with inlet/outlet on the sides instead of top and bottom. also, how do you determine which port on the res is inlet/outlet? though the way you have it is the way i was planning on having it, want to make sure my reasoning was correct.

So I swapped out my SM951 512GB to a 950 Pro 256GB.
This has added a delay in shipping so I'll update again once it twerks

Hello guys!

I am looking for feedback on my NCase build, does everything fit, compatibility and stuff like that. This is my first build in almost 10 years so I am little rusty.

Case #1: Fractal Define Mini (until I get ncase v5 next year)
Case #2 : NCase v5 (will move everything from Fractal to NCase)
MBO: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming (second option is ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac)
CPU: Core i5 6600K
SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 EVO Basic
GPU: GAINWARD GeForce GTX 980 (reference design)
Memory: Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 2666 C16 LP
Display: Dell u2515h
PSU: CHIEFTEC Smart Series SFX-500GD-C
CPU Fan: Not sure

Questions:
1. Any reason to chose one MBO over another?
2. Is that PSU going to have enough power for whole system? That is only sfx psu option in my country.
3. What cpu fan should I get? I have range of Noctua options available, but not sure which one will fit?

Thank you guys, I appreciate it!

Hello guys!

I am looking for feedback on my NCase build, does everything fit, compatibility and stuff like that. This is my first build in almost 10 years so I am little rusty.

Case #1: Fractal Define Mini (until I get ncase v5 next year)
Case #2 : NCase v5 (will move everything from Fractal to NCase)
MBO: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming (second option is ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac)
CPU: Core i5 6600K
SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 EVO Basic
GPU: GAINWARD GeForce GTX 980 (reference design)
Memory: Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 2666 C16 LP
Display: Dell u2515h
PSU: CHIEFTEC Smart Series SFX-500GD-C
CPU Fan: Not sure

Questions:
1. Any reason to chose one MBO over another?
2. Is that PSU going to have enough power for whole system? That is only sfx psu option in my country.
3. What cpu fan should I get? I have range of Noctua options available, but not sure which one will fit?

Thank you guys, I appreciate it!

I debated between the Asus and the Asrock but ultimately chose the ASUS due to past experience with them. It's a good board save for one issue; weak connectors. Be extra cautious how much pressure you put on the SATA ports.

500 Watts will be fine for the entire set up.

The Noctua fans are pretty good. There is one that can be done as a push-pull setup that would work well. My Cryorig C1 is working well too, though I had to remove the plastic shroud.

Thanks man!

Looks like I will go with MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC, since Asus and Asrock are not available any more and it takes them a week to restock. For cooler I will go with Noctua NH-C14, looks like a common choice here.

Only thing I need to check is there a bracket included with CHIEFTEC psu so it can fit in Fractal until I get ncase.

Hi!

I’m building my first pc. And it is Ncase m1 v5. I’ve read up to some extent, and choose these parts:

• Case: Ncase m1 v5.0
  • M/B: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI (link)
  • CPU: i7-6700K (link)
  • CPU fan: Zalman CNPS9500 AT (I cannot find anyone used this one, so not sure if this will fit…) (link)
  • SSD: SSD Intel 535 M.2 180GB (link)
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid (link)
  • RAM: Kingston 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM 1.2V (link)
  • PSU: Silverstone SFX 600W PSU (link)

I have doubt: will the fan fit? Its 85(L) x 112 (W) x 125 (H), I know that the maximum (allowed by case width) is 130 mm, so it should fit right?…
And if anyone notices any *dumb* stuff in my part selection, tell me please!

Also, where do you connect system panel connector in aforementioned motherboard? How do you set the color of power button?… (If these questions are to stupid, ignore please :D).

Thanks for any answers whatsoever!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi!

I’m building my first pc. And it is Ncase m1 v5. I’ve read up to some extent, and choose these parts:

• CPU fan: Zalman CNPS9500 AT (I cannot find anyone used this one, so not sure if this will fit…) (link)

I have doubt: will the fan fit? Its 85(L) x 112 (W) x 125 (H), I know that the maximum (allowed by case width) is 130 mm, so it should fit right?…

Also, where do you connect system panel connector in aforementioned motherboard? How do you set the color of power button?… (If these questions are to stupid, ignore please :D).

Hello, you made a very nice choice for your computer case :)
If I'm not mistaken (I don't usually follow high-end hardware, so I'm not sure about Skylake and h170 series) there is no need to buy an K-series CPU if you don't have a Z-class mobo to overclock it.
Sorry, but I can't answer the actual questions :p

Thanks :) I have weird taste in PC case design though (maybe I'm left somewhat taste-wise damaged after using apple stuff for almost a decade), because its this one or nothing; and *this one* is really rare it seems - - its more than a month of waiting for it to ship :rolleyes:

On the bright side, there is plenty of time for planing & learning how to "wire" PC properly :cool:

Hi!

I've been reeding up this forum thread, and noticed tha many say, that if possible Gigabyte M/B should be avoided, because their fan RPM contol isn't that great?

Hi!

If you're referencing the motherboard's pin connectors, the manual usually provides a diagram. Similar to this one :
Gigabyte_GA_78_LMT_S2_P_F_PANEL_Front_Panel_Heade.jpg

Just look for "F-Pannel" in your manual, I think it's page 17 for the H170N-Wifi
http://www.cclonline.com/content/pdfs/1lUv-2ftCnVlJDwQGDJqRhpQ-3d-3d.pdf

Hi everyone,

Also waiting for the V5 to ship (D-62 !), I was planning out my build.

As I'm moving out of a sg08 to the M1 I plan on using my current nh-l12 in the M1, and was wondering if it would fit, and if it would be sufficient for decent cooling. In particular, I was planning on using it as the sole active intake (with the GPU), as other have done with the bigger c14.

My aim is to build the quietest build as possible when iddle/under low load, while still being able to game and crunch data (where noise can ramp up as I game with headphones or run SAS when I'm out and about).

So, do you think just having the nh-l12 and the GPU (when it runs) as intakes, and the rest as passive exhaust would be possible, or will cause case temp to rise too much ?

My current (proposed) build is as follows:

• Case: Ncase M1 (of course !)
  • CPU*: I7-6700k
  • GPU*: GTX 970 Msi TF (which has 0 RPM when idle)
  • PSU: Silverstone SX500-LG (maybe SX700 if it gets out before January)
  • Mobo: Asus z170i Pro Gaming
  • RAM: 2*8GB DDR4 Corsaire LPX
  • Drive*: 1To+500gb 840 evo

*already owned

I do have a couple of NF-A15 Pwm (140mm) and NF-B9 (92mm) fans laying around, but I would like to minimize noise sources.

So what do you think, is the plan viable ? If not, what kind of airflow combination would you suggest to keep noise level at a minimum? Do you think using the PSU as an active exhaust is a good idea (or taking in hot case air will just ramp up the fan and the noise) ?
Should I shell out for the extra 80€ that the c14s cost here in France?

Any advice would be welcome :)

Also, sorry to be insistent guys, but I was wondering if anybody had any advice concerning my build ?

I'm really pondering to know if investing in a c14 would be worth it knowing it's 80€ where I'm from. What do you guys think ?

WOOOOO just powered up my build to test core components and it's ALIVE!
:)

nCase M1 v4
i7 4790k
Impact VII
NH-C12P SE14
Corsair 16gb LP Vengeance
Silverstone SFX-L 500w
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
Windows 10

Moar pics later this weekend

Someone has said it before but lets reiterate, all the connectors on the motherboard can be found in full description in the motherboard manual. This manual can be downloaded from the manufacturer website which will show the full motherboard layout, and pin out of each connector, so you will find all the "system panel" headers in the manual.

As for the colour of the LED, this can not be adjusted without replacing the power switch module (hardware)

As for the colour of the LED, this can not be adjusted without replacing the power switch module (hardware)

However, you can swap the colour of the Power LED and the Hard Drive LED by swapping where you plug their cables into the motherboard.

in other words, if you plug the HDD LED into the PLED+/- pins, and the Power LED into the HD+/- pins, the power LED will blink when there's HDD activity, and the HDD LED will come on when the PC is powered up. In effect, the function of each LED is swapped, rather than the color--their positions are unchanged.

...how many ways can I say this? XD

in other words, if you plug the HDD LED into the PLED+/- pins, and the Power LED into the HD+/- pins, the power LED will blink when there's HDD activity, and the HDD LED will come on when the PC is powered up. In effect, the function of each LED is swapped, rather than the color--their positions are unchanged.

...how many ways can I say this? XD

Ah crap, what was I thinking? Sorry!!!

If I'm not mistaken (I don't usually follow high-end hardware, so I'm not sure about Skylake and h170 series) there is no need to buy an K-series CPU if you don't have a Z-class mobo to overclock it.

For Skylake, the standard parts are now 65 W, so the base clocks on K-series parts are much higher.

For the example of an i7-6700K versus an i7-6700, the 6700K runs at 4.0 to 4.2 GHz at a 91 W TDP. The i7-6700 runs at 3.4 to 4.0 GHz at a 65 W TDP - so, it won't run as high clocks, and it'll fall out of turbo earlier to maintain the TDP limit, most likely.

ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming
Intel Core i7-6700K
MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G Golden Edition
Corsair Vengeance LPX black DIMM Kit 16GB
Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB
SilverStone Strider Series 600W
kurzes Netzteil-Kabelset für Strider
Corsair Hydro H100i GTX
2 x be quiet! Silent Wings 2 PWM 120mm
Ncase M1

My main concern is the watercooling I would really love to go with the H100i GTX if possible but there is bending and space concerns. Also I know I will be needing low profile PCIE cables for the MSI GTX 980TI but no problem but im open for other solutions.

What do you think?

Best, Victor

Back