NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. morph2k4

morph2k4 n00b

Can I fit an R9 Fury X with a full ATX PSU? I was pretty much ready to start ordering parts, but then I read the reviews of the 600w silverstone SFX on new egg. They are absolutely horrifying. Now I'm trying to determine the following:

Would the R9 Fury X fit with an ATX PSU?

Is it possible to cram two 120mm AIO coolers in with an ATX PSU? (I assume it would be one rear mounted, and one mounted somewhere in the middle of the two side mount slots.)

2. no-username-declared

no-username-declared n00b

There are only four 120mm fan locations in the NCASE: two on the side bracket and two on the floor. I don't see any way that you could fit an ATX PSU and two AIO 120mm coolers in the NCASE.

3. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

Maybe if instead of two AIO's you used a L9x65 and set the fury's rad over the CPU, and used the fan as exhaust?

4. Hanakuso

Hanakuso [H]ard|Gawd

Damn just got the email from support about the delay for the Ncase accessories. :(

5. yoyo55

yoyo55 Limp Gawd

Yup same here, no big deal for me though it was just the PS bracket

6. cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel n00b

How much does the Ncase weigh? It's not on the specs on the main site.

7. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

I don't think that's necessarily accurate and I don't know why this line of thinking is so prevalent. If you have a properly controlled (PWM) pump you can get it damn near silent.

(That is to say, if you have a properly controlled anything, you can get far less noise. ;) )

8. yoyo55

yoyo55 Limp Gawd

Not true....I have a Apogee Drive II and its damn near silent. Sound mostly comes from the Noctua Industrials that I have on the rad. Not a fan of the fury x, love my GTX980ti

9. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Yep, I got mine too. Woo hoo!

10. rayjayturbo

rayjayturbo n00b

Received my v3 case today. v4 case came in last week, air was much quicker than surface shipping:eek:

11. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

The case itself, excluding the accessories box, is 4.2 lbs/1.9kg.

Yes, planes tend to be faster at traversing thousands of miles of ocean than container ships.

12. rayjayturbo

rayjayturbo n00b

Yep, about 2 months faster :D

13. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

In fact, I have a non-pwm D5 pump and it's near silent (can't hear it, unless the case fans are off or you're right next to the case). If I had rubber under it to stop it from vibrating against the case it would be essentially silent. Of course, my loop is pretty low-restriction (D5->Raystorm CPU block->Koolance GPU-220->280x45mm Rad), and my case is also pretty large (HAF XB EVO), though the pump is mounted to the side panel.

14. Blue Fox

Blue Fox [H]ardForum Junkie

Finally made it through customs today. Wonder why it took 2.5 days as I just had something from Amazon Japan show up in 36 hours total from western Japan.

15. inchikiboze

inchikiboze [H]Lite

Here's a crazy idea: maybe you could just barely fit the Fury X rad next to the card on the bottom of the case and use intake? The card is only 7.5 in (190.5 mm) long, so you couldn't mount and bolt the rad in the dedicated 120 mm spot on the front floor, but you might be able to squeeze it in there offset a bit with some ghetto rigging and creative tube routing. That would leave you room for an ATX PSU and your cpu cooler up top, but I wouldn't want to bet $750+ on the parts only to find out it doesn't work. Also, the Fury X rad being offset from the airflow holes on the bottom means that part of the rad would be obstructed, which might affect performance, not to mention the fact that you're dumping that heat back into the case, unlike with a blower. Maybe a terrible idea. Anyone with better geometry/thermodynamics skills than me, or a Fury X lying around, care to weigh in?

16. Pat-Roner

Pat-Roner [H]Lite

Amazon uses DHL wich is a parcel service with in house customs.
    They do every thing them selves, hence the higher cost.

Postal service is goverment, and they handle A LOT more packages than DHL.

17. Blue Fox

Blue Fox [H]ardForum Junkie

Guess that makes sense. Though it was surprisingly cheap at only ~$7.

18. Skonky

Skonky n00b

Just got my case today! Sat in Taiwan for 2 weeks almost, then 2 days in customs.

Looks really nice. Just waiting for the last parts that are going into the case. Picking them up tomorrow!

Thanks Necere and Wahaha360!

19. fishtank

fishtank n00b

Mine is apparently arriving on monday! Ordered a 980 Hybrid from EVGA today as well, hopefully will be a nice setup!

20. okwchin

okwchin Limp Gawd

The C14S fits without the top fan ("low profile mode"), however you are only left with just a little over 15mm between heatsink and the inside of the side panel fan bracket.

The C14 would allow 25+mm, so one could comfortably fit a normal 25mm thickness fan, but the C14S only permits a slim fan. In my opinion, (without data to prove it yet), having a slim fan might perform poorer than a normal thickness fan on a smaller heatsink, such as the L12 from an acoustic perspective.

This is why the C14 original is the most ideal solution for silent air cooling, if you don't need the front 3.5" hdd mounts

21. krbuck

krbuck n00b

I think this is right. I just finished my build using a C14 and put in a 25mm thick NF-F12 Noctua fan in the lower part of the cooler. The nice thing is that the clips that hold the provided 140mm fans work for the 120mm fans.

Here are my pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Hanakuso

Hanakuso [H]ard|Gawd

Looks very similar to my build. How's the Noctua fans?

[​IMG]

23. krbuck

krbuck n00b

Wow; I think you may even have the same motherboard.

So far it is doing great. I haven't done any tweaking of the fan profile yet; I've just left it stock and it is really quiet, though I haven't really pushed it at all and don't plan to do any overclocking.

One last slightly blurry pic all put together:

[​IMG]

24. Hanakuso

Hanakuso [H]ard|Gawd

Cool. I might try some other fans that are slightly more quiet. Yeah we even have the same GPU haha

25. panther_king

panther_king n00b

Just wanted to chime back in to report that the Dark Rock TF wouldn't fit; memory/heat sink/heatpipe clearance wasn't an issue - the problem was that socket on my board cause the heat sink to overhang the PCI-E Slot, preventing the video card from being used.

This might be an issue with the mobo I have - I suspect anything with a larger than 60mm 'radius' will interfere with the slot placement, which might also include the Noctua C14 - I may just have to stick with what I have for now until a otherboard/CPU upgrade

26. XelNika

XelNika Limp Gawd

Which MB do you have?

27. yoyo55

yoyo55 Limp Gawd

Looks good, did you consider using Noctuas Industrial or Redux fans for a cleaner look?

28. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

I just realized you guys would probably appreciate the picture /u/NJM1112 from Reddit took of my setup at Quakecon. :)

[​IMG]

29. vipz

vipz Gawd

What are you using as your monitor and stand?

30. EdZ

EdZ Gawd

Nice Union Flag (and Ponyo wallpaper). Are you using that iPad as a remote client, or it is just a case to hold the display panel and a DP->eDP converter board?

31. exelias0

exelias0 Gawd

How's the noise level of the U9S versus something like the Kabuto II (with a 120mm fan)? Thinking of getting a 980Ti hybrid and need to make room for it :)

32. okwchin

okwchin Limp Gawd

A 60% keyboard and the NCase M1 are a perfect match from a transportation point of view. Cool setup!

33. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

Thanks guys. :)

It's the same LCD they use in the iPad 3/4/air, and the adapter board by Abusemark, and an unbranded iPad 3 shell+standard replacement bezel/ glass for the iPad 3.
    The stand is this one, which lets me swivel the monitor how I please while matching everything and looking super professional. I got theidea to use an arm from Wendell of Tek Syndicate, though he used a standard lamp arm which was a little bulky/ jankly looking for me.

Definitely a perfect match with the 60%, I can fit that whole setup in a backpack and it only weighs 21lbs!

34. vipz

vipz Gawd

Looks like there are a whole lot of iPad LCD to DP adapters out there. Interesting. Never seen this before.

In your case does the adapter board sit outside or inside the iPad shell?

Where do you reside and how long did it take for it to arrive from Japan?

35. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

I've got it inside the shell, for maximum iPad-ness. :)

If I'm remembering right, it took about a week to get to Kennesaw GA.

Here's a rough album of how I did it, but I'm going to embed detailed pictures here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

36. vipz

vipz Gawd

Very nice. I'm tempted to build one myself.

Are you able to power it with an on-board USB port or do you need an external charger?

37. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

Do it!
    It's totally usable without the ipad shell, I just wanted to be able to use the stand I did.

On board USB! I've ziptiesd the DP and USB cable together so they'll always be together.

I'm planning on trying to do something else using the same panel for quakecon next year, we'll see if it works out. ;)

Edit:
    I think the whole think cost me around $150-

$50 - LCD
    $35 - Controller board
    $10 - Single shell (most are $30+ and branded though)
    $30 - Stand
    $8 - Bezel
    $15 - Glass

Though if you aren't doing a stand it would be <$100.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  38. exelias0

exelias0 Gawd

I wonder if there's adapter boards for 15" laptop LCDs.

39. vipz

vipz Gawd

Where did you find a shell for only $10?

Is the bezal the gasket that sits between the shell and the front glass?

40. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

From what I've seen, there are, but they usually are a lot larger than the one I used for the ipad.
    Plus it seemed like all the laptop LCD's that had a decent resolution were more expensive than the iPad LCD if I remember right.

I found this eDP display from a Vaio, but haven't found a controller board for it yet.

Edit to reply to vipz

There was a guy who had gotten some from a friend or something and just wanted them gone- I was very lucky in that regard.
    The bezel is indeed the little gasket between the glass and shell, it's not really important, but it does finish the look a little.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015