NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

It's a 750ti, so it doesn't put out much heat.
    It idles at around 30-35C, and after playing AC4 for about an hour it gets to 70C.
    I ran the burn in benchmark on furmark before replying to this, and it started at 35C, got to 86C, and got back down to 44C in 15 Minutes.

[​IMG]

I'll measure in a minute, but I think there's only room for slim fans, though I think they would be sufficient for newer cards like the 970.

Edit:
    From my measurement 15mm fans would be easy to fit, 20mm would fit with some shoving, and 25mm almost definitely won't fit.

From my rough measurements I think, at least in my case I could fit a Prolimatech vortex 14 between the GPU and heatsink.
    I could definitely fit a Scythe Kaze Jyu Slim or prolimatech Vortex 12 or slim silverstone 120mm.

Though I'm pretty sure only the Prolimatech fans are PWM, so...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  2. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Thanks for measuring. One last question: there seems to be a bit of space between the heatsink and the graphics card. Could slim fans fit there as well (for push/pull) or instead of underneath?

3. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

I believe so, the heatsink has 19mm between the underside of the heatsinks and the lowest point of contact, so any 15mm fan should fit so long as there's nothing sticking up too far from the PCB.

In my situation, I might actually be able to put the 140x15mm prolimatech fan there, but I wont know for sure unless I try. (Though the Scythe Kaze Jyu would look better being 100mm wide)

Cropped version of their dimensions PDF (Click for big)

[​IMG]

4. JaccoW

JaccoW [H]Lite

Very nice setup. I think I will be doing some reading up in the next couple of months to finally start building my Ncase.

Which PSU is that though? I have my eye on the Corsair AX760i but at 180mm x 150mm x 86mm I am not entirely sure. It looks big.

Combine it with the newer extra short GTX 970's this should fit just fine.

5. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

It's a Seaonic X-Series 650w from 2011 (the newer version has a switch to choose between always on or adaptive fan speed).

It's 160mm long, and there's about 15mm between the cooler and PSU.

That's my plan, though I was thinking the Gigabyte or Zotac. :)

Edit:
    I tested a 750ti that hhad a pcb the same length as the Zotac, and it fit fine, though it was near the limit of fitting.

6. Kasul

Kasul n00b

Does anyone know how long the custom inspection process usually take? It has been stuck for over week at L.A.. I've search the forum and couldn't find the answer. I have all the part except the case to start building.

Edit* Nvm, It has just arrived at delivery office, can't wait!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  7. thefivetheory

thefivetheory [H]Lite

Here's a stupid question: would two SFX PSUs fit in the M1, side-by-side, with any room to spare for the side bracket? For the purposes of the question, ignore how you would mount them, if you would be so kind.

8. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia [H]ard|Gawd

I don't see why not, ATX fits with the side bracket and that's 150mm wide while two SFX units back to back would only be 127mm

9. thefivetheory

thefivetheory [H]Lite

Hmm. Thanks!

10. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

So clever! Should work fine so long as both PS fans are exposed.

11. NA STI

NA STI n00b

Sorry if I missed this but has anyone actually test fit a 500w sfx-L PSU WITH the v3 bracket yet with a full size card?

I Just saw the amazon price on this PSU and its only 96$, which is a much better deal then the 100$ 450w sfx psu + 25$ fan swap + $30 slim cable upgrade

12. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Out of stock. That was quick.

13. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

Not sure if it was actually ever in stock... I think I saw the product page go up.

14. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

15. thefivetheory

thefivetheory [H]Lite

Seems like one of the trickier issues would be the PSU cables. I would imagine a Y-cable version of the one the M1 comes with should exist, but I don't have any idea where to find one.

I'm really trying to find a semi-reasonable way to stick a 295X2 in my M1 but it's not easy.

16. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

You could probably just buy a second internal adapter thing from the website and do it that way.

And if you don't want two power cables coming from the case,use a y cable at the back.

17. iFreilicht

iFreilicht [H]ard|Gawd

I have no idea what you're planning to do, but I really want to know!

EDIT: Oh, you want a 295x2 in there. good luck!

You may want to look at PCIex16 risers like Tschus has used, so you can move the GPU down by one slot, which should leave enough room for the PSU cables.

Oh and the outlet you'll probably have to solder yourself.

18. JaccoW

JaccoW [H]Lite

Thanks for the answer. :)
    So the Corsair PSU would at least fit although the cables will be at a tight angle and an aftermarket cooler would be out of the question.

We already figured out a while ago that most GTX 970 models have a very short PCB. The Zotac one you have there looks like it might fit without the shroud.
    And the newer Seasonic also comes in a Platinum version in that smaller size. Excellent. :cool:

19. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

I've got my eye on the fanless 460W. ;)

20. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia [H]ard|Gawd

Ok, here's what I've come up with for the SFX-L bracket so far:

[​IMG]

So with the PSU in the forward set of holes the connectors should clear 10.5" cards like the reference GTX 980.

But if you have a shorter video card you can use the rear set of mounting holes so the 2.5" mounts on the inside of the frame are useable.

Thoughts?

21. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

The GTX 960 looks kinda eh. :(

I guess I'm waiting for 20nm, or just going to do a 970 once taxes happen.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  22. Siba

Siba Limp Gawd

Whatever happened to the M1 builds thread? I guess I'll just add mine here for now, can't find the old thread. I was too impatient to take pics during the process

full potatocam album
    http://imgur.com/a/nOWat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. flod

flod Gawd

nice! how are the temps and the noise? I'm planning to run pretty much the identical wc loop as you've got. how would you rate the relative loudness of the psu, the pump, and the fans?

24. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

What about a 140mm long non-modular ATX power supply? Modding the cables on that seems like a simpler solution than trying to shoehorn and wire up two SFX PSUs in the case.

25. Blk

Blk Limp Gawd

When can I have one? :D

Don't know if it would be possible but, what if you'd move it towards the "mobo tray side" as much as possible to give clearance for a (slim) fan or drive on the side bracket?

Does it need a "lip" at the back to give it strength? (and a notch in the right place for the cable)

26. Urelure

Urelure Limp Gawd

If you decide to make this, do you have any idea of what your asking price would be.
    I am way more interested in this than a V3 bracket for future compatability. I'd easily buy one off you if the price isn't insane. Are you thinking steel or aluminium? Not that it matters too much...

27. EdZ

EdZ Gawd

But then you couldn't pack 1200W of power into a 12.6L case, for bragging rights (nearly 100W/L!).

28. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1820531

It's labeled "v2" but honestly there should just be a general build thread (since version differences are fairly minor).

29. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia [H]ard|Gawd

I originally planned to put it toward that panel as much as possible but I had to shift it inwards so all the screws were accessible due to the flange on top the frame.

The PSU itself will stiffen the bracket, I prefer that because I could place a notch for the SX500-LG but what if future models have the AC inlet in a different position?

No idea on price yet, I'm going to get a prototype for myself and if it works out like I think it will I'll look into a small production run.

It would be powder coated 20 gauge steel with threaded inserts like the parts on Nova.

30. Urelure

Urelure Limp Gawd

Great. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks

31. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

I have the v3 bracket (for my v1 case) and also a new extension cable, but I'm waiting for availability of the PSU in Western Europe. As soon as I have it, I'll test it in my setup and make pictures without the use of potatoes.

32. Synomenon

Synomenon [H]ardness Supreme

If you can get this bracket made just right, I'm in for two!

33. superjec

superjec n00b

Any ideas how to remove light scratches on Silver M1?

34. Siba

Siba Limp Gawd

All temps dependent on ambient environment temp
    CPU idle 30-35c
    GPU idle 32-34c

CPU heaven benchmark load 60-69c
    GPU heaven benchmark load 45-49c

CPU firestrike benchmark load 60-64c
    GPU firestrike benchmark load 44-47c

It may not be perfectly game stable, I may have gotten a dud 4770k. Seems to be exponentially more unstable if I let the cpu hit 70c

As far as noise profile, I'd say Pump > GT AP14 > psu

The PSU has the bird singing/whistle when the fan starts up, but its not really that big of a deal

The pump was super loud until I used asus ai suite 3 to get the PWM below 40%. Right now I think my curve goes from 28-36 or 38% max

The fans are on a sunbeam 2 channel fan controller that's mounted in the third pci expansion slot, below the GPU. Seems to work well enough, but being analog I can't give you any measurements. I just leave the case fans at 100% from ai suite and turn the knob on the sunbeam controller to my liking

Overall the noise isn't as quiet as a super quiet air system, but I think I'm satisfied. In no way could I hear the system over any type of music that I'd be playing. The noise is more consistently quiet than when the GPU was air-cooled. Definite improvement, as all you can really hear is air flowing through and slight pump noise if you listen pretty closely. The main advantage is there almost no difference between idle/browsing/video playback and full on gaming/benchmarking.

Maybe one day I'll clean it up enough to post to /r/battlestations :)

Thank you, put my build in there

35. Kasul

Kasul n00b

So I recently build m1 v3 with Asus strix 970 and you guy were right that the PCB is too wide, but since I cannot get a refund I made lemonade, and cut a bit off.

The Coolermaster Glacer 240l has a pump that is too wide where the tubes are coming out on each side due to the daughter board and the ram for my motherboard asus vii impact so I'm currently using stock one. If only the pump have both tube coming out from just one side, then this would fixed my problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  36. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia [H]ard|Gawd

Can't argue with results :D

Doesn't the heatpipe interfere with the side panel though?

37. Kasul

Kasul n00b

I can put the panel back in just fine, although I think it might be touching it which I don't really mind. I think it align perfectly with the dual fans and outer frames. If I look from top down position, I can barely see it.

38. thefivetheory

thefivetheory [H]Lite

Yeah, that probably makes more sense honestly. I just happen to already have an SX600-G and an ST45SF-G (I wish the naming convention was the same for those two as I can never remember the 450w's model #) on hand already. I guess a Seasonic S12G-750 would probably do the trick... pretty sure that's the highest wattage 140 mm PSU around.

39. flod

flod Gawd

is the pump still more noticeable than the psu at load?

40. Mackan

Mackan Limp Gawd

My trouble with the V3 bracket was resolved. The customs fee was removed. Lian Li had done everything right, set the correct value on the package, and instead there was some kind of mix up later on.