NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. JoepieDeSnoepie!

JoepieDeSnoepie! n00b

The value on the package is 300 Taiwanese Dollars or 9,50 USD or 8 Euro.
    Mine was free from duties and tax, got a stamp "Vrij van belasting Inkl. Amsterdam (09)".
    Usually, at least here, you can send some paperwork to get it refunded.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. I agree with some other users. As an M1 owner myself, I'd suggest you keep your gpu and tinker with it once you have the card, something that should happen very soon. So, once you have it, you can check whether the system complies with your needs (or not) and adapt your build accordingly.

In any case (bad pun intended :eek: ), you will love the case. Once you have it in your hands, you will realise why it has so much praisee, and barely any negative feedback. Its pure passion combined with rational design. A true gem.

3. icedlink

icedlink n00b

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  4. Half Life

Half Life [H]Lite

Guys i really need your help, my 780DCII doesn't fit and i really love it(the performance) but doesn't fit maybe for 5mm, do you know some kind of modding or a non stock cooler that it fit?
    Sell the card and buy another isn't redituable for me, because the money exchange is too expensive and i don't want a card under the 780.

5. TuKo

TuKo n00b

Hi guys,

I've a nCase M1 v2 silver one and I would like to change it in black. Are panels still orderable ?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

6. vipz

vipz Gawd

7. wahaha360

wahaha360 Gawd

That doesn't sound right.

You can use your PayPal invoice if the invoice on the box is insufficient.

If you have issues, just email me.

Disclaimer: I'm stuck in South America since I misplaced some travel documents, my internet is sporadic, but I should get back you within 3 days if you email me.

8. Mackan

Mackan Limp Gawd

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I contacted the office that sent me the package, and they said the seller (Lian Li?) had stated the value as 120 CAD, which in turn caused the high import fee. CAD seems to be Canadian Dollar... Not sure why CAD is used, and not sure why 120 was used... (I am located in Sweden)

So right now I am trying to get this corrected, and get a refund for the import fee. I will try to use PayPal invoice to prove this.

I thought this might be of interest to you to, and possibly others as well. So I keep the results public here.

9. WiSK

WiSK 2[H]4U

I've had this before, although a bit less dramatic. Paid 21 euros instead of the 28 euros I expected. When I looked at the documentation, it also had a different recipient address. Maybe that other person paid my 28 euros when he should have paid less.

I guess that those customs slips are printed in a stack, and then someone goes around all the boxes and matches the slip to the box. Sometimes they make a mistake and accidentally exchange two slips. Maybe there is someone in Canada who ordered a full panel kit and is now explaining to Canadian customs why Lian Li put value of only 145 Swedish Krone on the customs declaration.

10. milkcow

milkcow Limp Gawd

The V3 bracket is definitely import tax/duty free in Europe.

11. superjec

superjec n00b

Has anyone ever tried to put a small rectangular window on the gpu area? seems like a cool way to see your gtx graphics card.. Anyone know who can do the job with quality and finesse? Or maybe ncase can add that as an optional side panel?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  12. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

Whenever someone says "window" in regards to this case, only one comes to mind... and this is not mine, but I do remember seeing this on OCN:

[​IMG]

http://www.overclock.net/t/1365342/ncase-m1-prototype-a-mini-itx-case/460#post_22769471

http://www.overclock.net/t/1365342/ncase-m1-prototype-a-mini-itx-case/480#post_22774817

13. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

just some info

In my build I'm using a seasonic x series 650w PSU, which is 150mm long.
    I decided my 750ti was too loud at idle and bought an Alpenföhn Peter 2 to shut it up.
    it fits on the card and in the case.
    it fits under the psu fine, and theres room for a slim fan between it and the gpu/ psu, and maybe some 20mm fans between it and the case floor.

However, since the cpu socket on my Gigabyte H77N-wifi is so close to the PCI slot im changing to a P8Z77-I Deluxe so my Noctua U9B-SE2 doesnt interfere with the mounting nuts on the gpu cooler.

edit, a picture

[​IMG]

14. superjec

superjec n00b

Oh i have seen that already, but in order for you to have that kind of window you must not use the radiator/hdd bracket on the side of the case, I was thinking about just a small rectangular window so that the "geforce" logo on the card can be seen. But with regards to quality and finesse that seems to be a nice window job.

15. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

That's a clever combination of parts. Would that cooler fit on a GTX 970? I think the bare PCB for some of the cards is shorter than the retail cooler, so the longer ATX PS would still fit. Would slim fans on that cooler be enough to cool a 970?

16. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

I was thinking of trying something like this on my M1 by either cutting an oval window in the below the fan grills or by simply replacing that of the case with a sheet of glass and adding magnets around the edges. If I get around to doing this I'll post some pictures! The case itself is so beautiful that I'm hesitant to change anything!

17. Curiositie

Curiositie Limp Gawd

I think it should, iirc people are using 670 water blocks on 970's.
    You'll just need to make sure the heatpipes won't run into anything (I had this issue with the deepcool v6000).

I can't say for sure, but its rated on the website for a 290x with normal fans which I think has a tdp of ~220w vs the 970's ~150w so I think it would be fine.

Product Page

18. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

I've never looked at how that Alpenfohn cooler would fit in the case, but it seems to do so perfectly. Looks like a good option for those wanting to use an ATX PSU while still having a large GPU cooler. Very nice.

19. NA STI

NA STI n00b

FML... After waiting a month and paying a premium ($255) the package finally arrives. Box wasn't even damaged I couldn't believe it! (I have terrible luck with postal service package damage in the past) Then I open it up and I saw silver... ewww. I went from super stoked to super mad instantly :(

Just double checked my order receipt in my email to verify I ordered Black + Optical drive slot, so someone got them mixed up during shipping

20. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Sorry about that. We're relying on Taiwan Post to ship packages and mistakes can happen. Drop w360 an email (info at ncases dot com) and he'll set up an exchange for you.

21. No Hands 55

No Hands 55 Limp Gawd

Yeah i had a similar situation. I was in the first shipment that arrived around christmas and Taiwan Postal put the wrong name on the package and was sent back because it was rejected at an office building it was being delivered too :( really sucks now cause i paid for fast shipping and have to wait another 2 months to get my case :( but email ncase they will do everything in they can to fix it

22. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

Just curious, I really like the red power LED of the original Ncase renderings. Would having red as the power LED rather than the activity LED be as simple as switching the leads to the motherboard from the front the M1? One issue I can see is that the motherboard has three pins for the power led (two of which are used), and the two leads from the activity indicator LED are connected.

Would it be as simple as just separating the two leads from the activity indicator LED and connecting to them to the power LED pins on the motherboard?

23. icedlink

icedlink n00b

Omg .. I hope it's not mixed up with mine ( I ordered silver ). Mine was delivered yesterday but I haven't checked it yet !! ( I'm away ). Fingers crossed.

24. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Yes, you can just switch them. I'm not sure why your board has an extra pin for the power LED - I know the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe for example only has two:

[​IMG]

Is the third pin on your board between the other two?

25. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

Thought it would be as simple as just switching them....

On the board I'm using (GA-B75M-D2V) the extra pin is between the other two unfortunately:

[​IMG]

26. vipz

vipz Gawd

27. icedlink

icedlink n00b

my worst horror ...

I received a black case. :eek:

sob

28. Tschus

Tschus n00b

Some followups:
    My PCIe riser is resulting unstable performance on my GPU so I'm considering getting another one. It is linking at PCIe 3.0 x8 (I'm using Asus M7I with a PCIe SSD so it is running at x8). I also took a clearer image to illustrate how the cable is bent. Please see below.

It looks very similar to what I'm using. The cable on the daughter board is coming out from the bottom so you will have to bend it a lot like this:
    [​IMG]

The cable in the picture is 10cm long so I'd say 7cm is a tough one.

29. WiSK

WiSK 2[H]4U

I always use an x-acto knife (or stanley knife #99 or just any craft knife with thin blade). Just lift up the little tab and slide out the pin.

30. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia [H]ard|Gawd

It doesn't look like that extender you're using has any shielding on the cable, that's probably the issue.

31. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok [H]ard|Gawd

You guys should trade! You can be ncase buddies!

32. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

That's TWP's suggestion for how we deal with their screw up. So far from this run we have 12 people that got the wrong color, which will cost a lot in shipping to exchange. Needless to say, w360 is not happy about it.

33. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

Really?? Seems like a pretty unreasonable suggestion for you guys to have to collect 12 sets of cases and then redistribute them.

34. theGryphon

theGryphon [H]ard|Gawd

If TWP compensate for all shipping charges for all parties, then it's fair, and only then...

35. Jonnysupafly

Jonnysupafly n00b

Hi all, hope you don't mind me posting a coupe of questions in my first post, after going round in circles between this an a parvum itx case, I'm just about to order a v3 M1. I will have 120mm AIO cpu cooler and the hdd bracket installed - has anyone manage to mount a fan between the side of the case and the hdd to keep it cool? Or even a hdd mounted fan?

And I saw a YouTube vid where someone had put an anti vandal switch on the M1, is there a step by step guide to doing this?

Cheers

36. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

No, their suggestion was to have people that got the wrong color ship their case directly to eachother. It's the least expensive way, but not ideal for the customer.

If you're just using one 3.5" drive in the bracket you can mount a 120mm fan between it and the fan bracket. Scroll down to the last couple pics in config 1a of my first thermal/noise test for an example.

I haven't seen a guide for the vandal switch mod, but I believe that was done by a user here and there may be some discussion on it if you search the thread.

37. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia [H]ard|Gawd

Not really a guide but this guy swapped it with a 12mm switch: http://oliver.st/blog/ncase-m1/

38. Jonnysupafly

Jonnysupafly n00b

Awesome, thank you for the quick replies

39. iFreilicht

iFreilicht [H]ard|Gawd

Yes, that was my first thought, too. Try wrapping it in aluminium foil. It sounds like a redneck solution, but aluminium is a pretty good EMI shield after all, and it certainly worked for others.

I see that guy has two SSDs practically touching each other, is that the standard way this 2.5" mount works in the M1? Is that even a good idea from a temperature point of view?
    Also, that HDD indicator LED is fuggin rad!

40. BTW, Its worth noting that NCASEs is now the owner of the google spreadsheet. I'm saying this because if anybody needs to post anything but somehow doesn't allow you, speak to the NCASE team.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015