NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. AFD

AFD 2[H]4U

It's really not that loud at all. The fan just makes a very quiet chattery sound that's just barely audible enough to be slightly distracting and annoying :D

2. iippo

iippo n00b

well, ive got two of these and both are loud to my ear when under load. Desktop is just fine...but its not really the point with 600w ones.

Also both made noise when turned off. Tweaking powersave settings enough made that bit quieter though. Still i rma'ed one of them, but unfortunately it didnt help.

3. Wotryp

Wotryp n00b

4. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

Maybe we should quote some of the people in agony from the last time :D
    There were certainly enough people saying something like:
    "jeez if I know waiting 2 months would take this long, I would have spend $20 more"
    "ah man everybody except me seems to have their case already, wish I'd gotten air shipping"

Anyway, I'm awaiting the PSU bracket availability for the better support for the SFX-L PSU's.
    Maybe it would be adviseable to have the "accessories" page be called "Spare Parts" or something like that.

5. flod

flod Gawd

is the sx600's noise completely from the fan or is there also coil whine/buzz?

would it be possible to replace its fan with a funnel + some 120mm fan?

6. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

People are also complaining about coil whine with the SX600-G.

7. jcagara08

jcagara08 Limp Gawd

Oh alright I see, thanks man! Is there such super slim slot loading Blu ray writers existing products as of today?

8. raymondo

raymondo Limp Gawd

User google already answered that.

9. flod

flod Gawd

dam... is the 450w gold sfx psu from silverstone better for acoustics?

i suppose 450w is sufficient for an overclocked 4770k + not heavily oc'd gtx 970

10. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

It won't be with load. My ST45SF-G was whisper-quiet unless stressed, then suddenly after a month or two it started making noise even at idle. People are saying it's the crappy bearings that fail sooner or later. I've done the popular fan mod (replacing the fan with a Noise Blocker 80x15mm fan) but atleast one person who has overclocked components on this PSU with the fan mod has an unstable system. The fan mod reduces the amount of airflow and thus when the PSU has a high load, it might not stay within the ATX specs.

I personally would wait on the 500W SFX-L that is due any day now. Tony Ou from Silverstone has said they have delayed release to find a better fan after having received a lot of critique on the noise with the ST45SF-G and SX600-G. And they should, they are on thin ice concerning PSU customer satisfaction, or atleast on this forum.

11. EdZ

EdZ Gawd

More than sufficient. I've got a Xeon E3-1240 (essentially an i5-2500 with Hyperthreading and no GPU) and a GTX 970 on the ST30SF (300W). It's not the quietest under load, but it works with no stability issues. It works if you just need a placeholder until the 500w SFX-L is available.

12. Half Life

Half Life [H]Lite

For my because the political things(reserve, oil, gas...) change the value of my money

The SX600-G buzzing? just yesterday i bought one :confused:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing, which do you thing is the better headsikns? the fan size doesn't matter (92mm,120mm,140mm...), i want do some OC

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  13. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

The Archgon CB-5021 is a good deal on Amazon. For $110 you get the Panasonic UJ-265 blu-ray writer (6x), a slim SATA adapter, an OEM version of Cyberlink software (for blu-ray playback), and it comes assembled in a 5.25 bay adapter. The bay adapter is black plastic and you won't use it in the M1, but the price for all of the rest of the parts and software is decent.

Note that the data side of the slim SATA connector on these drives is the same as on hard drives and SSD drives. It's only the power connector that is smaller. My Silverstone SX-600 PS includes the slim SATA power connector at the end of one of the flat power cables.

14. onegaynerd

onegaynerd n00b

Slightly confusing... Will the M1 V3 also come with the dual 3.5" drive mount and the SFX PSU bracket as well?

15. backfeed

backfeed Limp Gawd

You don't have to use Paypal's exchange, I've never done that. My credit card is billed in whatever currency the payee accepts, and the particular card (i.e. bank) I use doesn't charge anything extra (no fee, no percentage cut) for the exchange to my local currency. Always ends up cheaper.

16. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Yes. Those are just the parts included in the accessory box. The SFX and 3.5" HDD brackets are installed in the case by default.

17. Half Life

Half Life [H]Lite

In other words, include all things that you need to start up. 3.5" cage, 2.5"+SFX PSU bracket, buttons and usb ports, right?

18. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Yes. I've just updated the FAQ to clarify.

19. Half Life

Half Life [H]Lite

Great!, another thing, all cases it'll be shipping from taiwan for this batch or you have some cases in USA and the first ones orders it'll be shipping from USA?

20. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

These are all shipped fresh from the factory in Taiwan.

21. onegaynerd

onegaynerd n00b

Sweet. I assumed so, but thought I would ask just to be sure. Thanks! :D

22. AFD

AFD 2[H]4U

Yay! Over a year after I bought my M1, and I finally got a GPU!

Gigabyte GTX 970 ITX (GV-N970IXOC-4GD) installed..

[​IMG]

Also yanked out $60 worth of shitty Silverstone CP11 SATA cables (50% ended up being faulty) and replaced with the stock ASUS cables. Tidied up my cable management a little better, and finally installed the IreK alternate DEMCiflex filters (side and top only; bottom and PSU are still Necere's original version, and dirty but working very well!). Chopped up the top stick-on magnet into four pieces, so that none of the adhesive was showing through the vents in the top panel. Also, replaced the stock rubber grommets with rubber blanking plugs from the guy in Ireland that Hanakuso recommended, and replaced a broken M1 plastic clip (thanks W360!).

Switched out my old v1 internal power cable with the new shorter v2 (left-angle) version and swapped the serial/name badge for a central outlet..

[​IMG]

The 970 ITX seems to work very well in this case. GPU & CPU temps are 40C or below at idle, and the GPU never gets above 75C during benchmarks (Heaven, Firestrike). The CPU stays in the 50's during the same tests (and under 75C during the physics portions). The card is actually pretty quiet and near silent at idle.. definitely audible under load, but with a mostly pleasant sound (could still hear the ST600-G fan chattering, though it never got louder).

Just need another 3.5" and 2.5" drive, a new monitor (and 10 more fans, and maybe a 3rd PSU), and then my build will be complete! :p

23. WiSK

WiSK 2[H]4U

Looking good AFD! :)

24. AFD

AFD 2[H]4U

Thanks!

Unless it's my camera or the lighting (or OCD), the GPU looks like it's sagging a bit.. how is that even possible on a card that short? :D

25. WiSK

WiSK 2[H]4U

I measured on your picture, it drops 6 pixels over 480 pixels long. So about 0.72 degrees :)

26. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

It might also be that the PCI brackets are set too high which makes it look like it sags.
    Interesting build !

27. ncaser

ncaser n00b

Are there any updates on when the next batch will be coming around? I love my current one.

28. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

29. Groats

Groats n00b

When using a 3.5HDD and a 92mm fan on the case floor are their positions switchable? Looking at the pictures I'm thinking probably not.

30. goldy

goldy [H]ard|Gawd

Looks good besides the sagging on the GPU. Maybe get a bracket or something so it doesn't warp the PCB over time.

31. b0yd07

b0yd07 n00b

Do you recommend staying with an SFX psu even if you have an ITX length gpu? I have neither a GPU or PSU yet, really unsure of how I want to build this thing. SFX psu and full length 970, or ATX psu and mini 970... Or SFX psu and ITX gpu... OR the new SFX-L psu and full length card if anyone can confirm that's even possible.

32. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

He needed to go with an SFX PSU because he also wanted a 3,5" HDD while having fans at the bottom of the case. If he didn't need any of those two, he could have installed most ATX PSU models.

33. asus11

asus11 n00b

anyone know if a gtx 980 classified would fit?

34. tekm

tekm n00b

Hope to see a cheaper shipping option soon. I'm tempted to upgrade to v3 and give my v2 to a friend, but I am not in a hurry to do so, and thus I don't mind waiting longer for the case to come.

35. pointfiveo

pointfiveo Limp Gawd

That Gigabyte GTX 970 ITX is awesome. Must order. Could pair that with Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520W, am I correct?

36. cambrian

cambrian Gawd

Just preordered !
    using a cooler master elite 130 currently.

37. FaDBh#R3Uu7La

FaDBh#R3Uu7La n00b

I was wondering if it is possible to have neodymium magnets to secure the panels. Since they are more durable then the (Tooless Plastic Clips) :cool:
    Also thanks for the accessories, finally I can stuff 6 Hard drives inside the NCASE!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  38. subspeed6

subspeed6 Limp Gawd

I love the M1, but the cost and other things made me decide against it...

I travel a lot for work and the SG05 was the best case for me.

If I had the money and such, the M1 would be a hands down mITX case to have. This case is just awesome. I tip my hat to necere and wahaha360.

39. okwchin

okwchin Limp Gawd

Is the shipping calculator only limited to cases? I tried adding the power cable alone, and the shipping cost was blank.

I'm thinking of ordering the power cable and adjusted SFX-L bracket when it becomes available.

40. twwen2

twwen2 n00b

Trying to purchase some accessories (top panels, clips) from the site, but the shipping options drop-down menu in the checkout is empty and won't let me proceed.