NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

and dismiss AIO coolers because the fans are often loud at stock settings.

I think there might be a misunderstanding: SPCR usually does not test AIO coolers (or any cooler) just at their stock voltage settings.

For a ready example of what I mean, I think you may check here.

Best regards, Luca
ITALY

It's understandable that they don't have the time to test cases with a custom w/c loop ... and dismiss AIO coolers because the fans are often loud at stock settings.

I think there might be a misunderstanding: SPCR usually does not test AIO coolers (or any cooler) just at their stock voltage settings.

Hi Luca, yes maybe it wasn't clear for you. Obviously when Lawrence is specifically testing an AIO he will try different fan speeds. What I was talking about was his case reviews. I've not noticed him using AIOs at all, he seems to prefer to use air cooling solutions on the CPU and on GPU he prefers non-reference. Even if the manufacturer specifically recommends otherwise.

Here in his own words
... the self-contained water CPU cooler units we've tested have been disappointing. Compared to a typical air-cooled heatsink, they are louder because the pump is as an additional noise source, and the included fans are usually high speed models. Performance is usually average at best, installation is often more difficult or tedious, and the cost ranges from high to extravagant. Most models are based on designs by or manufactured directly by the same company, Asetek. These Asetek coolers/clones have an almost uniform style/appearance.

Hi Luca, yes maybe it wasn't clear for you. Obviously when Lawrence is specifically testing an AIO he will try different fan speeds. What I was talking about was his case reviews. I've not noticed him using AIOs at all, he seems to prefer to use air cooling solutions on the CPU and on GPU he prefers non-reference. Even if the manufacturer specifically recommends otherwise.

Well, I'm a regular on SPCR, so I'm a tad biased (but as I'm also an old overclocker, maybe I'd be able to understand a bit some different stand points), but I think it's just a matter of trade off.

Broadly speaking, air cooling probably cannot offer the highest performance level (even if lots of AIOs are actually under dogs, as it goes in the aircooling market), but OTOH it makes easier to achieve extremely low noise levels (you have just to pick good fans and slow them to a convenient speed), while still retaining some decent cooling prowess: as a matter of fact, that requires larger equipment, very often.

Liquid cooling, in the form of AIO systems, usually offer less favourable acoustics, with reference to both noise signature and level, so it's not the preferred choice for a "silencer": but given some circumstances, if you can get rid of some quietness, it may offer some superior cooling and sometimes even some space saving.

Combining those opposite trade-offs may lead towards some questionable results: when you try to mix up either extremely quiet rigs with very high performance parts, or even with very compact enclosures (like the M1 actually is), that may lead to something which is not completely satisfactory, both for a silencer and for a performance-oriented enthusiast.

Perhaps it may work for anyone in between.

So about your complain on case reviews, I think it may be rather obvious that SPCR dismiss AIO coolers even when recommended by manufacturers, because, with reference to the limited SPCR perspective (I mean, how "silencers" use coolers), their fans and pump are often louder than any equally performing air solution at any settings (and not just at full speed): to be fair, at any settings a "silencer" would likely use.

Nonetheless some SPCR readers may be still interested to know how far they can go with a particular case (as it owns its merits), so whether they can use such a small enclosure in a rather satisfactorily manner, or not.

Eventually, in the specific case of the M1, given the very limited space available, I think that mr. Lee agreed that an AIO solution is the way to go to combine acceptable noise levels and fairly decent cooling prowess. In mr. Lee own words:

Lawrence Lee said:
We're not a big fan of the many self-contain water cooling units on the market but for this particular case they have more merit.

IMVHO such an endorsement is even more worthwhile as Lee's has given the SPCR recommendation to the M1 (TBH, as he didn't test it with any liquid cooling, I don't agree on, but it's just my personal opinion).

Best regards,
Luca

So about your complain on case reviews, I think it may be rather obvious that SPCR dismiss AIO coolers ..

Right, so we agree that Lawrence doesn't test cases with liquid cooling because they are "usually" too loud for the target audience of SPCR. And you agree he didn't test it. We just disagree that it's ironic that the quest for silence stops at water.

We just disagree that it's ironic that the quest for silence stops at water.

Well, actually several SPCR readers are on water: but usually they are bound to custom loops.

But, as said by Mike Chin of SPCR, who will buy an NCASE M1 (among the SPCR fans) more probably that not they will use it with an IGP setup (or a low power discrete graphics?), in order to enjoy its tiny dimensions and exploit its great flexibility.

Best regards,
Luca
ITALY

Last edited:
Well, actually several SPCR readers are on water: but usually they are bound to custom loops.

But, as said by Mike Chin of SPCR, who will buy an NCASE M1 (among the SPCR fans) more probably that not they will use it with an IGP setup (or a low power discrete graphics?), in order to enjoy its tiny dimensions and exploit its great flexibility.

Best regards,
Luca
ITALY
oh wow, welcome to [H]ard! You just made it harder, which is a complement, btw!

It's understandable that they don't have the time to test cases with a custom w/c loop, considering the extra investment of time and components. But I find it ironic in a way that SPCR that never look at proper water cooling, and dismiss AIO coolers because the fans are often loud at stock settings.

Yah, it's just not SPCR's niche. SPCR doesn't cater to the [h]ard Overclock crowd. They don't really test for multiple GPUs, for example.

With the sole quest for silence. A "quiet" fan is usually a low pressure fan running at 800rpm. With those in mind. An AIO cooler's extra pump and higher fin density (compared to traditional large tower coolers such as the silver arrow) cause them to be noisier, almost by design.

I love SPCR and HF, although I was a member of spcr long before I found HF. I love to apply what I haave learrned from SPCR (quiet systems) to what I learn here(extreme systems). My passion is making a fairly powerful system that is still as close to silent as possible.

I think it is great that the M1 was reviewed at SPCR because I think they are highly respected, provide great information that many places don't and most people that go there are looking for a "balance" anyway.

My M1 is on air and I have very good temps and it is very quiet. I love it! :)

They don't really test for multiple GPUs, for example.

Well, "silencers" are indeed a different kind, either than "gamers", or "overclockers": but gaming and overclocking are not unrelated to the mix of people gathered under our quiet label. If you'd rather, those "silencers" may be seen as a sort of cross section of the wide "enthusiasts" crowd.

So, while on one hand it's perhaps logical that SPCR reviews are usually not meant towards just evaluating the latest high performance parts (there are better sources for that, [H]ardOCP being a notable example, and it's clearly not the main SPCR goal), and even if SPCR testing hardware may be more often made by quite proven solutions, rather than bleeding edge ones, on the other side you know that SPCR usually test dual cards setup, but for what matters more for silent computing: so mainly how enclosures react to higher thermal loads (currently up to 270-280W DC for the graphics subsystem) and the relevant, consequent induced noise.

That can be checked in any review about suitable enclosures, like the Phanteks Enthoo Primo one. Definitely in my opinion it's not quite exact that SPCR don't cater at all enthusiasts like the [H]ard crowd, neither that SPCR don't really test for multiple GPUs, but I guess that question is a bit off topic in this thread.

With the sole quest for silence. A "quiet" fan is usually a low pressure fan running at 800rpm.

Personally I strive to never go past 600-650rpm with 120mm fans (under load).

With those in mind. An AIO cooler's extra pump and higher fin density (compared to traditional large tower coolers such as the silver arrow) cause them to be noisier, almost by design.

Probably: that's why so called AIO coolers are - up to now - not perfectly suitable for people aiming to reach the very lowest noise level: but that's just one of the terms of the whole matter.

Broadly speaking, I think a computer is meant to do something, not to be something, as either being silent, or being fast. So there are rigs which may be silent more likely than others. but there are also rigs which have to be plenty either of computing power, or storage spaces, and therefore which can be just moderately or relatively quiet.
But even that argument I guess it's a tad off topic, with reference to the M1.

Best regards,
Luca
ITALY

Last edited:
Broadly speaking, I think a computer is meant to do something, not to be something, as either being silent, or being fast. So there are rigs which may be silent more likely than others. but there are also rigs which have to be plenty either of computing power, or storage spaces, and therefore which can be just moderately or relatively quiet.
But even that argument I guess it's a tad off topic, with reference to the M1.

I think it's interesting and a bit of a new topic, we've discussed many other things that are maybe "off topic".

I'm glad you brought it up: a computer is meant to do something.

Personally I'm a folder. So my PCs are loaded 24/7 all days of the year. I'm not a silencer as you put it, I am a SFF enthusiast - no large cases anywhere in my home. But I strive for some quiet. I have to compromise about many things, but I have to say that putting my rigs under water was not just a minor improvement in noise levels, but I would say necessary for my sanity. Of course an AIO on the CPU is not enough. It has to be water cooling on the GPU. There are easy mods to put a H60 on a GPU, or use a H220 on CPU+GPU. Eventually I went full water because stock air solutions on the GPU are usually terrible, and even large aftermarket GPU heatsinks are somewhat dependent on case airflow (as well as usually needing 3 slots). So custom water loops are, in the end, the only way for me to have a small, quiet system. This is what I miss from SPCR testing, and yet I do understand why it's not possible for Lawrence to test this extreme, and why he doesn't need to. Now we come back to the point I made initially.

I guess what we call quiet, is what "SPCR-people" call LOUD NOISE.

I can easily stand the noise my H220 with default fans make at 1200rpm but I'm sure I'd be banned for life somewhere for calling that quiet :)

I guess what we call quiet, is what "SPCR-people" call LOUD NOISE.

I can easily stand the noise my H220 with default fans make at 1200rpm but I'm sure I'd be banned for life somewhere for calling that quiet :)

Indeed :)

But it's all relative. Your rig is a good example too: with the stock R9 290X cooler you had high temps and loud noise from the GPU. Now under water you have maybe also "loud noise" but it's much less than before.

So custom water loops are, in the end, the only way for me to have a small, quiet system. This is what I miss from SPCR testing, and yet I do understand why it's not possible for Lawrence to test this extreme, and why he doesn't need to. Now we come back to the point I made initially.

Well, my point was entirely on dismissing AIOs just because of disappointing acoustics at stock settings.

As you know, high performance parts as well as high loads, just don't easily combine either with quietness or with diminutive size, and even less with both.

As you know, a trade off is necessary: you are walking along the road of somehow relaxing the utterly silence requirement, some other else will relax the size limits, and in a number of cases you must make allowances on both sides.

And that's the big picture.

With reference to SPCR, since 12 years it's driven on a purely voluntary basis, it's not funded by any company but raises some money from online advertisement: regarding the items to be reviewed, as far as I know they rely either on readers donations, or on the availability of the vendors, which on their part send their samples more likely to focused communities, than to anyone wish, just by mere generosity.

So, in my opinion, for the above quoted reasons, it's rather unlikely you may see a custom full-loops round-up on SPCR, or something similar. But some little bit of information may still be gathered even there, as "why and how use some Aqua Computer pump and not a Laing one" (I mean, just noise-wise), thanks to their readers.

I know, in that way it's an hard way, indeed: but you're on [H]ard forum, aren't you?
(I'm just teasing to end my post, please don't take offense!) :D

Best regards,
Luca
ITALY

The M1 does accept modular PSU's, just not in ATX size. Modular employs plugs and these extend too much, touching or pushing the GPU, if the GPU is longer than 7" (think Asus GTX 760 Mini). Also often overlooked is how much excess cabling an ATX PSU has, in length and in number, making it difficult to get rid of.

Your best choice is an SFX PSU, as these are small enough to fit and at the moment offer up to 450W with a 500W and 600W on the way this year, from Silverstone.

thanks for the quick reply :)
Also if anyone could look over this build I would be really grateful:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ra5N

Samsung SN-208FB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Tray-load ODD will not work internally at all.. must be a slot-load drive like the Panasonic UJ-8C4, UJ-265, or similar.

Also, think the 780Ti might be a little much for the current 450W SFX (based on mfg wattage and +12V rail requirements).. still might work okay, but not really sure. The new 500 and 600W SFX might be more appropriate (if enough amps are provided on the +12V rail).

If you do decide to go SFX, you can buy the PP05-E cable set for the modular version (should be included in the new 600W version), and you wouldn't need the slim SATA adapter for ODD.

Also, for the price vs G.Skill Value RAM, check out Crucial's Ballistix VLP (very low-profile) 2x 8GB kit.

No experience w/AIO coolers, so hopefully someone else can provide input about your TT Water 3.0 Extreme selection.

They're to large I'm afraid.
It's really to bad the company I worked before doesn't use anything smaller than 25mm, else I could probably get 50+ pieces and put them on ebay.
I've send a mail for 10+ though, I'm sure there are more people in Europe wanting these...
Does anyone know if this ever went anywhere?
Or anyone found where to get these?

Does anyone know if it would be at all possible to physically cram a 2nd 240mm (30mm thick) radiator at the bottom of the case along with a couple of thin 120 mm fans (i.e. Scythe Slip Stream) with a watercooled GPU present. Obviously air flow would be an issue, though I'm mainly concerned if it would fit or it there is some other obstruction that I am not aware of (I don't personally have the case...yet). Since air flow would be greatly impeded in such a setup, maybe a blower fan/pci slot case fan would work as a better solution to pull air out through the pci slot.

Does anyone know if it would be at all possible to physically cram a 2nd 240mm (30mm thick) radiator at the bottom of the case along with a couple of thin 120 mm fans (i.e. Scythe Slip Stream) with a watercooled GPU present. Obviously air flow would be an issue, though I'm mainly concerned if it would fit or it there is some other obstruction that I am not aware of (I don't personally have the case...yet). Since air flow would be greatly impeded in such a setup, maybe a blower fan/pci slot case fan would work as a better solution to pull air out through the pci slot.
Just looked at my setup with 120mm slip streams. It looked like it might fit depending on how thick the block is. Assuming the gpu/waterblock only take up 1 slot, you should be fine as long as the radiator doesnt fit the front or rear since I know rads protrude more on the ends.

Back when I was thinking about a loop, I thought about buying a 92mm rad on the rear. That might be a better option.

It's very tight, but not impossible. There's been at least one person that's tried it, which you can see here. One problem you may run into is with the front ports - the cables would need to be bent very tightly for a rad to fit. Removing the USB and audio altogether would make it easier.

Just looked at my setup with 120mm slip streams. It looked like it might fit depending on how thick the block is. Assuming the gpu/waterblock only take up 1 slot, you should be fine as long as the radiator doesnt fit the front or rear since I know rads protrude more on the ends.

Back when I was thinking about a loop, I thought about buying a 92mm rad on the rear. That might be a better option.

I see, thanks for your insight. I forgot about 92mm radiators, I'll keep that in mind also.

It's very tight, but not impossible. There's been at least one person that's tried it, which you can see here. One problem you may run into is with the front ports - the cables would need to be bent very tightly for a rad to fit. Removing the USB and audio altogether would make it easier.

Thanks for the link, glad to see that it is possible! I guess if I go this route it is probably worth hunting down that 24mm thick radiator (30mm was the smallest radiator-thickness I could find from the typical vendors). I would probably pair this up with the H220 so that everything would be enclosed within the case. I wonder what kind of temps the person managed to get.

I see, thanks for your insight. I forgot about 92mm radiators, I'll keep that in mind also.

Thanks for the link, glad to see that it is possible! I guess if I go this route it is probably worth hunting down that 24mm thick radiator (30mm was the smallest radiator-thickness I could find from the typical vendors). I would probably pair this up with the H220 so that everything would be enclosed within the case. I wonder what kind of temps the person managed to get.
This rad is 25mm thick

http://www.dangerden.com/store/black-ice_pro-ii-radiator.html#tabs

Whoops, I guess I missed that one. I think I found what the other person was using (Coolworld.com.cn 240mm radiator) : http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Version-240mm-Full-Copper-Radiator-Dual-Computer-Liquid-Water-Cooling-/380803715326?pt=US_Water_Cooling&hash=item58a9ab90fe

The Coolworld radiator has dimensions of 270 x 120 x 25mm while the Black Ice Pro II is 277 x 133 x 25 mm. If the smaller one is already interfering with the USB/Audio ports, then I would still probably have to stick with Coolworld rad or find something comparable or even shorter.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't get why you'd need two 240mm radiators. With my system (see signature) I can keep the temperature at idle around 30-35°C with the fans below 1000rpm and the pump around 2100rpm, while games will go between 45-55°C where the fans ramp up to 1200rpm above 50°C. Considering the reference coolers on the CPU and GPU had load temperatures of 65°C and 95°C respectively, this is a vast improvement with just a single 240mm radiator and 120mm fans that are above average in performance.

To me this is quiet enough that typing this message or having the game at low volume over speakers drowns out all the noise from the PC.

It's not actually. It's been mis-specced as 25mm thick for as long as it's been around, but actually it's the end tanks that are 25mm thick; the total thickness is 28.6mm, according to HWlabs' site.

If the smaller one is already interfering with the USB/Audio ports, then I would still probably have to stick with Coolworld rad or find something comparable or even shorter.
I'm not saying that rad was interfering - I don't know one way or another. I'm just saying, that's the most likely issue you'll have with any rad. But yes, the shorter the better to avoid that problem.

I don't get why you'd need two 240mm radiators. With my system (see signature) I can keep the temperature at idle around 30-35°C with the fans below 1000rpm and the pump around 2100rpm, while games will go between 45-55°C where the fans ramp up to 1200rpm above 50°C. Considering the reference coolers on the CPU and GPU had load temperatures of 65°C and 95°C respectively, this is a vast improvement with just a single 240mm radiator and 120mm fans that are above average in performance.

To me this is quiet enough that typing this message or having the game at low volume over speakers drowns out all the noise from the PC.
I agree completely. I get the feeling that when people ask about doing this, they're doing so after asking (or reading), on some forum or other, whether a 240 rad is "enough" for both CPU+GPU, and being told, adamantly, that no, it's not. I've seen it happen in many threads. It's the same kind of propagation of misinformation that leads people to believe they need a 700W PSU to power their system with a single GPU. One of my motivations in designing the M1 was to prove to people that you could, in fact, run a powerful single GPU system on a 240 rad and a quality 450W PSU.

That is actually better temps then I expected considering you have the 290x. I was planning to have similar components in my system (Core i5 3570k, 290x, H220), so I guess one radiator will suffice. My main concern is that there would be little overclocking headroom. Are these temps when running at stock speeds?

I agree completely. I get the feeling that when people ask about doing this, they're doing so after asking (or reading), on some forum or other, whether a 240 rad is "enough" for both CPU+GPU, and being told, adamantly, that no, it's not. I've seen it happen in many threads. It's the same kind of propagation of misinformation that leads people to believe they need a 700W PSU to power their system with a single GPU. One of my motivations in designing the M1 was to prove to people that you could, in fact, run a powerful single GPU system on a 240 rad and a quality 450W PSU.

Nevertheless I think it would be cool to have two 240 mm radiators in such a small case if not only for the novelty factor. I'm aiming for a "fun" build, not necessary the most practical so I don't mind going overboard on some aspects of the build.

That is actually better temps then I expected considering you have the 290x. I was planning to have similar components in my system (Core i5 3570k, 290x, H220), so I guess one radiator will suffice. My main concern is that there would be little overclocking headroom. Are these temps when running at stock speeds?
Yes, those are indeed stock speeds. I've yet to feel underpowered anywhere to be needing an overclock so I'm not bothering with it for now. I rather have 100% stability, silent performance and lower power consumption than 10% more performance that goes to waste.
I'm gaming at 1920x1080 at 60fps so no need for more for me.

Nevertheless I think it would be cool to have two 240 mm radiators in such a small case if not only for the novelty factor. I'm aiming for a "fun" build, not necessary the most practical so I don't mind going overboard on some aspects of the build.
While I see it would be considered fun to think it up, I can guarantee you that all that fun will fly away once you need to cram everything in there. Even with the minimal build I have, it is still cramped. Adding another radiator, two more fans and two more hoses, I would go mad with frustration to do anything inside the case. And I consider myself a very calm and patient man.

You need a little room for cables and you lose that when you sacrifice the bottom of the case with another radiator. When I look at this picture, I can't but wonder how slim fans, notorious for low static pressure, will force air through that sliver of space between the radiator and waterblock, only to be trapped there. The sidepanel fans are more likely to be pulling air from the top vent I would guess. EDIT: the builder from that picture has placed all four fans as intakes, so this makes the bottom fans work even harder to actually move air.

But even if those slim fans are actually doing some work without making noise, the most this setup will improve is mass, due to the large amount of extra water and metal. This doesn't enable better cooling per sé but just adds a larger buffer until when everything is saturated with heat.

Maybe someone can help me out:

1) In my M1, I have two 120mm fans on the bottom and a GTX 780 ACX. Sometimes the far end fan on the GPU towards the front of the case touches the 120mm fan I have on the bottom. Is there anyway to support the GPU more? (I do have a back plate)

2) I also have two 120mm fans on the side panel with DEMCIFLEX filters. The filters are being sucked into the center of the fans causing them to brush up against each other...which creates unwanted noise

Any ideas?

1) In my M1, I have two 120mm fans on the bottom and a GTX 780 ACX. Sometimes the far end fan on the GPU towards the front of the case touches the 120mm fan I have on the bottom. Is there anyway to support the GPU more? (I do have a back plate)

2) I also have two 120mm fans on the side panel with DEMCIFLEX filters. The filters are being sucked into the center of the fans causing them to brush up against each other...which creates unwanted noise

Any ideas?
2. I added very thin washers and it fixed that issue.

Any ideas?

1) Maybe use some rubber fan mounts backwards, by inserting them up through the middle of the bottom fan holes and out through the top? Probably won't support the GPU much, but might keep it from touching the fans. Oh, and if you try this, def be sure not to mount any in a fan hole where they might get caught in the GPU fans!

Might also be possible to fabricate and mount a metal support brace, either attached from the holes on the side rack's front-side bottom holes (L-shaped), or from the bottom fan's top holes (C-shaped), or somehow attached to the top of the front I/O panel (straight or Z-shaped).

2) Again, maybe rubber screws? I'm using the Noctua mounts (and also their rubber corner caps) and haven't noticed any noise from the filters touching the fan.. yet.

FV4y9S2.jpg

Just some ideas.. might not be good ones :D

Any ideas?

Cheap solution -> Use an eraser :D It works like a charm
twp2EvO.jpg

2. I added very thin washers and it fixed that issue.

I did this and it worked perfect..so simple I overlooked it

lol @ the eraser, I guess if I want something its gunna have to be custom made

Last edited:
I check here often to see if this is up for sale. Did this spontaniously go up for preorder and get sold out in a very short timeframe? How much heads up was there for this?

*edit: Just found this http://ncases.com should be added to first post that people can sign up for updates on availability. I think I may have been mislead by the update listed and that was for the last run since the ncases.com says available soon. Am I off base?

Last edited:
I check here often to see if this is up for sale. Did this spontaniously go up for preorder and get sold out in a very short timeframe? How much heads up was there for this?
UPDATE 2014-2-17: - Extra M1s will be sold on our website on March 1, 2014 at 10AM EST.
UPDATE 2014-3-1: Spare M1s sold out! Shipping starts March 17th

*edit: Just found this http://ncases.com should be added to first post that people can sign up for updates on availability.
I agree there should be more communication but I think there was an issue with linking to "commercial" sites that was the problem. There is also no shortage of buyers so this makes this a product you should check more than "often" if you seem to have missed the last two months.

I think I may have been mislead by the update listed and that was for the last run since the ncases.com says available soon. Am I off base?
Yes because if you read the first post carefully, you'll notice the huge letters at the top saying: M1 rev2 is cooking indeed. Pre-order set for late Apr / early May

Back