NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

That's an EK Coolstream PE rad, yeah? That's why. It's 130mm wide, which is 5 to 10mm wider than most 120mm rads. It's a very tight case - not everything is going to work with everything. Measure everything twice, but sometimes it's still just going to take trial and error.

2. Vcom

Vcom n00b

Case 0157 reporting in from the Netherlands. Thanks necere and whahaha360!

3. EvilDeffy

EvilDeffy n00b

Let's see how long it takes for it to arrive to me in the Netherlands..

Who's willing to bet that it'll take me at least another month?
    My luck is so horrible that i'm waiting for it to have been squashed by a truck.

4. xbeater

xbeater n00b

Has yours not even reached customs yet? :(

5. EvilDeffy

EvilDeffy n00b

Says it has, 21st of January at about 3 PM.

But as I said, i've had so much luck recently that i'm betting a truck or forklift will have squashed it.

Here's another example that happened to me yesterday.

I built a rig for my cousin in Serbia with an AMD Phenom II X3 720.
    It's an outdated tech but it is still a decent mid-range performer for very cheap.

Spec list:

AMD Phenom II X3 720BE
    ASRock 890GX Extreme4
    8GB of Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz 1,5V
    Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD.
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Corsair Carbide 200R
    Seasonic M12-II 520W Bronze

This all for sub 300 euros, which is still affordable.

But guess what, I built it, full cable management to the best of abilities, pre-installed it.
    And it arrives at it's location, never even wanted to boot, and i'm here praying that it's just a dead BIOS battery.

If not shipping a computer over is not that cheap through customs.

Physically the case is fine, not even so much as a scratch..
    What's the bet somehow the mobo died on me?

Any takers on that?

6. lemkeant

lemkeant n00b

Getting the air out of the H220 was one of the most difficult things I have ever accomplished.

It did take me a few hours. Lots of power cycles because you can get the bubbles into the rad, but the res doesnt always refill them. Quite frustrating

7. AFD

AFD 2[H]4U

Nice, thanks for that info!

EDIT: Just an FYI, another member was quoted for a non-ferrous PSU filter.. will the filter frame still contain the magnet if the adhesive strip isn't used?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  8. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

Thanks for sharing the pics, Finas. It looks sweet. :)

9. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Yes of course... that's their shorthand way of saying it doesn't come with the adhesive magnetic backing for non-ferrous cases. EDIT: er, yeah... that's not what that means. They were quoted for a filter for non-ferrous applications, which does include the adhesive backing. Dunno what I was thinking. So the filter is the same either way (it's magnetic), it's just that you need the separate adhesive backing (also magnetic) for non-ferrous applications.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  10. IncubusBob

IncubusBob n00b

Thanks for the advice. I swapped out the Nexus 120mm fans for some Scythe Kama Flow 120mm (FDB bearing), not sure that makes a huge difference. Also I put a brick under the feet of my case to lift it off my desk a few inches and now my GTX 770 stabilizes at 80C. So that is at least a 20C+ improvement. Pretty hot still, but at least it is stable.

I have some massive old Panaflo 120mm fans which I should probably try as an experiment. They look like they can move a lot of air. Probably not a solution for me as they are probably are too loud, but interesting...

11. JoepieDeSnoepie!

JoepieDeSnoepie! n00b

Just my luck; I thought with the "not at home code" to pick up my case yesterday, but:

The tracking code has been wrongfully put into the system with another postcode for some reason, so 2nd delivery has (obviously) failed...
    Worst thing of all is I don't have a receipt to pick it up at some place now, and both within the computer system and out there it's lost.
    According to PostNL the only thing now is for some employee to notice the postcode and/or city is out of place....
    It will be 2 weeks before they start the send back to sender process and when they may or may not notice the mismatch with both the tracking number and address data.
    There's now a "wanted" tag on the old tracking code (it changes with each delivery attempt) which by now is not the current one anymore and the sticker probably has been replaced with a new one ontop.

Man there's finally fast updates on the Taiwanese tracking code site but PostNL can't tell a thing...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  12. AFD

AFD 2[H]4U

Can't you just go in with your identification that shows them your name and address is the same (or pretty similar) to the name and address on the package's shipping label?

I'd do something quickly though, cause you'll have a huge headache once it ships back to Taiwan.

Good luck!

13. JoepieDeSnoepie!

JoepieDeSnoepie! n00b

I could if I just knew where it was, my drivers license should do the job nicely.
    Now it can be pretty much everywhere, even on the other side of the country... who knows.
    Will haunt them again Monday to see if there's any update if I don't get a call from them before then.

14. AFD

AFD 2[H]4U

15. milkcow

milkcow Limp Gawd

16. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Lol... beat me to it. Just got the email myself :p

17. vipz

vipz Gawd

18. milkcow

milkcow Limp Gawd

19. vipz

vipz Gawd

That difference in dimension seems negligible. Is that really it?

On the ST45SF-G, since the fan sits so close to the edge of the unit, neither will provide perfect coverage without hanging over.

Actually, even the fan in the ST45SF sits right on the edge, just not the same edge as in the -G.

20. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

That's it. Would you prefer it hang over the edge?

It's unavoidable. The filter frame needs to be a minimum of 10mm wide.

21. milkcow

milkcow Limp Gawd

Again, the ST45SF-G is 100mm deep. anything larger than that will not fit on the PSU, but rather stick over it.

There is about 4-5mm from the edge of the PSU case to the actual fan itself. The filter ha a 10mm border, so it will cover about 5-6mm of the lower fan area which shouldn't make any dramatic difference ;)

[​IMG]

22. vipz

vipz Gawd

I'd rather center the actual filter on the fan grill instead of making sure the outer frame stays within the PSU. A few mm's of overhang doesn't bother me. I want to know if there's anything else that might make the regular 80mm filter not fit, other than the ~3mm thicker frame on each side.

23. milkcow

milkcow Limp Gawd

they both have an id of 80mm, so why not get the ST45SF version if you are still able to let it hang over a little bit. I see no reason why someone should prefer the '80mm' version

24. vipz

vipz Gawd

Technically, yeah, it seems like they should just replace the 80mm filter with the ST45SF version. That is, assuming they are otherwise identical.

25. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

There's nothing stopping you hanging it over the edge. But look -

[​IMG]
    ST45SF

[​IMG]
    ST45SF-G

Both models have the fan right up on the edge, so there's no way to avoid either having the filter overhang, or block part of the intake. Additionally, the ST45SF-G will have part of the intake blocked no matter what, since the fan is up against the edge that's behind the chassis flange.

26. vipz

vipz Gawd

Can you trim one side of the filter with scissors/shears?

27. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

I'm sure you could. The reason they don't make the filters narrower than 10mm in the first place is because delamination becomes an issue, so that would be the risk of trimming it.

28. Proglin

Proglin Limp Gawd

Is it ok 2 square and 1 retangular? Didn´t understand why to use 2 squares on side panel if you don´t have screws there

29. xbeater

xbeater n00b

Hooray! Case No. 0149'er, reporting for duty, from the Netherlands! :D

And I didn't think I'd react the same as everyone else, but I've caved and yeah, this thing is drop-dead gorgeous. Thanks Necere and Wahaha360, you guys are the men!

30. PolarBear

PolarBear n00b

And Aussies (particularly East coast) wanna order together for Demciflex filters? Save postage and all.

31. AFD

AFD 2[H]4U

That 80mm round filter that Dstart used looked like it fit nicely. Kinda wonder why we didn't just go with that instead?

Think he used 80mm (97mm outside, 73mm inside), but not sure..

http://www.demcifilter.com/p0014/80mm-Round-Computer-Dust-Filter.aspx

http://i.imgur.com/4xGQT3P.jpg

No big deal, my order's already shipped :D

32. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

Thanks Necere for designing and promoting these ! I went click-click-click on that link-link-link !

Thanks for the link !

33. l3p

l3p Limp Gawd

My case finally arrived too :D
    (Netherlands)

34. AFD

AFD 2[H]4U

Glad to see you guys getting your M1s before Feb! :)

WiSK, did you finally get yours yet??

35. Nivaku

Nivaku [H]Lite

Who's build in this? http://i.imgur.com/4xGQT3P.jpg

Please post specs and more pictures in the front, i need to get an idea on the cable management

36. mute92

mute92 n00b

I just got my 30mm rad in today, and put it under the waterblocked GPU, it has exactly 15mm of room between the waterblock and the screw holes.

Going to order some slimmer fans and keep you posted.

I do have a question. I have the swiftech mcres, mounted in the HDD Cage next to the PSU...there is no freaking hole on the upward side of the res...how to fill...

37. Almighty ODST

Almighty ODST Gawd

Just ordered a pair of 120 demciflex filters with the brushed aluminum frame and black mesh. Also got the power supply black/black filter.

I'm hoping the brushed aluminum makes a nice contrast with the black side bracket.

38. dstart

dstart n00b

There is about 2-3mm blocked, if that. In all honestly, it isn't blocked at all as there is an air gap in front. I plan on cutting out the steel fan guard behind the filter in the future and replace the fan with less noisy bearings.

On another note, having just seen the M1 filters on Demciflex site, I was hoping there would be an alternative size for people not using the fan/hdd bracket that runs behind the side vent. I will be purchasing a custom fit 250 x 110 filter for the inside side of the case.

I used the 80mm round Demcifilter because I couldn't wait any longer. To make it fit perfectly over the fan, just cut a bit off the frame edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is no need for an adhesive strip, the PSU case is ferrous metal.

Mine. What exactly are you needing to know?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  39. WiSK

WiSK 2[H]4U

Yes, I got it and very happy with it. It's quite amazing how Necere has come up with a winner with so little actual testing. So much respect :cool:

I had planned for a quick build, but now I realise this case deserves some proper attention.

40. xbeater

xbeater n00b

Hey folks, just want to check in with some consumption numbers. Specs are:
    - Asus Maximus VI Impact
    - 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
    - GTX 780 Ti (Reference)
    - 2.5" SSD + 2.5" HDD
    - Cooler Master Seidon 240M (because I love that silent pump when undervolted)
    - ST45SF-G

Peak my consumption lies at 417 W drawn from the wall, though I never spotted that power draw. Running both Prime95 and Furmark simoultaniously I found the consumption to lie steadily between 370 W and 375 W. Very reasonable.

The ST45SF-G is rather noisy though, and takes a good few moments before it quiets down again. I've already got the NoiseBlocker BlackSilent Pro PC-P fan, but I'm gonna run the current setup a few more days before I kill my PSUs warranty and swap the fans. Idle and load the PSU is easily the noisiest part. Oh, and it's V2.0, making me feel kinda sorry for everyone who has V1.0 or V1.1, since those are supposedly even noisier.