NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

We will not apply the sticker, just included with every unit

We also found a name we both agree on, stay tuned.

I'm going to qualify w360's statement with the following: we will include a user-applied sticker in lieu of a logo printed on the case if a significant majority of people prefer it. If we have a successful phase 1 (prototype) crowdfunding campaign, we can do a poll either before or during phase 2 (production) for the logo (and possibly color).

I was leaning toward the sticker option because many people, including myself, were not all that thrilled with the current name/logo and felt like it detracted from the design somewhat. I don't consider a sticker a great alternative though, because IMO it would look cheap and not work particularly well with the design. So really only a better option for those who want to go logo-less.

However, the name that we're going with is one which I'm much happier to have printed on the case, and I feel it's an important part of the design which helps to give it an identity. But again, if a majority are against it, a sticker is an option.

Some facts about the new name:
  • It isn't anything that's been shown or suggested in this thread.
  • It's not actually new, and in fact predates this project. It was something I used on one of my previous concepts that I originally showed to w360.
  • I suggested it for this project early on, but w360 rejected it. Not because he disliked it, but because he had a different idea for the name.
  • It's a name that is meaningfully related to the design.
  • It's two words, neither of which is "case."

Can we pre-order?
No. The plan is to do a 2-phase crowdfunding campaign; phase 1 to get a prototype made and (hopefully) get some test hardware, and phase 2 for production, where backers will receive a case.

Last edited:
Good to hear, Necere; thanks for the clarification. My personal issue with the logo was that it was fairly big and centered on a clean side panel. IMHO, you can write all over the side bezel of the front panel (or even put ports there like Fractal), but a clean side panel should be a clean side panel (once reason I really like my PC-Q02 and wish I could get a left side panel that matched the right, lol). I'm less distressed about the front facing ports on this design because the shape of the front panel breaks up the vast expanse of flat metal, something that isn't done on the sides.

Keep up the great work!

I'm going to qualify w360's statement with the following: we will include a user-applied sticker in lieu of a logo printed on the case if a significant majority of people prefer it. If we have a successful phase 1 (prototype) crowdfunding campaign, we can do a poll either before or during phase 2 (production) for the logo (and possibly color).

I was leaning toward the sticker option because many people, including myself, were not all that thrilled with the current name/logo and felt like it detracted from the design somewhat. I don't consider a sticker a great alternative though, because IMO it would look cheap and not work particularly well with the design. So really only a better option for those who want to go logo-less.

However, the name that we're going with is one which I'm much happier to have printed on the case, and I feel it's an important part of the design which helps to give it an identity. But again, if a majority are against it, a sticker is an option.
If the sticker is die cut or kiss cut, it'll look a little less low-budget. Cutting increases the cost of the stickers only a bit.

Congrats on finding a name you can both agree on! :)

While that layout is similar, the psu choice and location sucks. It also looks quite a bit bigger.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm pretty sure I just found the PSU they are going to use. It's supposed to be semi-fanless up to a certain load http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=276

edit: after actually reading the review, it does get loud like a typical server PSU. But is basically fanless w/ little load/temp.

If you take a look at this pic, it's clearly not the Seasonic (note the fan grille and location of the AC inlet/power switch). Looks to me like an FSP unit, like this one.

If you take a look at this pic, it's clearly not the Seasonic (note the fan grille and location of the AC inlet/power switch). Looks to me like an FSP unit, like this one.

You might be right, but that one lists 3x 12V rails. I was taking a guess based on trying to find one with the same specs. According to VRZone, it's supposed to have a 40A 12V rail. http://vr-zone.com/articles/ces-2013-evga-x79-dark-motherboard-and-mini-itx-cases/18629.html

And when I found the seasonic, I found it here, and it said it had a single 40A rail, and seemed to make sense they might want the semi-fanless feature.
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-500L1U# but jonnyguru's review says it has 2x 12V rails. But then again Seasonic says it has one http://www.seasonicusa.com/1u.htm

In anycase, it's a pretty cool idea, if the supply was quiet. I'm wondering if one can be moded opening a side of it, and just using a 120mm fan to blow air over the open end :)

Well, I don't think that evga case layout looks good. Similar but the changes they make ruin it for me...

Anyway.. back on topic?

Some facts about the new name:
  • It isn't anything that's been shown or suggested in this thread.
  • It's not actually new, and in fact predates this project. It was something I used on one of my previous concepts that I originally showed to w360.
  • I suggested it for this project early on, but w360 rejected it. Not because he disliked it, but because he had a different idea for the name.
  • It's a name that is meaningfully related to the design.
  • It's two words, neither of which is "case."

quit being such a cocktease necere! when are you going to tell us the new name? :p

When they're ready. Got lots of stuff to plan, I suppose.

(Actually I don't suppose, I've done Kickstarters before. Planning is everything. It took me a month to plan out my first Kickstarter.)

I am excite. :3

I just realized that a mini-dtx motherboard is only 2 PCI-E slots, so that basically leaves no option for a sound card anyway, as a dual-slot video card would block the 2nd PCI-E lane anyway. The only way it could possibly work in that case would be having the bottom most slot be the PCI-E x16 lane and having the soundcard directly above that.

Does anyone know of any better alternatives for sound? :/ External USB3.0 cards, miniPCIe risers or the like that would allow for gaming GPU + higher end audio card?

Edit: just read backwards about the ECS m-DTX mobo. This is what I was looking for, but hopefully there will be a better chipset out along w/ Haswell in this form factor

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any better alternatives for sound? :/ External USB3.0 cards, miniPCIe risers or the like that would allow for gaming GPU + higher end audio card?

External DAC. I have the Audioengine D1, but there are plenty of options. After buying it, I wouldn't buy an internal sound card again. It has a very small footprint, I like the volume control knob, and I like having the option to plug it into other computers. It's not self-powered and therefore not truly portable, but it's perfect for my needs.

External DAC. I have the Audioengine D1, but there are plenty of options. After buying it, I wouldn't buy an internal sound card again. It has a very small footprint, I like the volume control knob, and I like having the option to plug it into other computers. It's not self-powered and therefore not truly portable, but it's perfect for my needs.
This. Unless you buy soundcards for [H]ARDCORE GAEMIN' then a great external DAC and a good pair of cans or monitors will do wonders.

I have an old USB X-fi external soundcard I'll send you for free if you want it. It's okay, nothing to write home about. I haven't used it since probably 2009/10. ;)

The thought occurred to me, and if there are no good motherboard options when Haswell comes out then this will probably be the route I have to take. It will create some limitations on the eax side for gaming but that will be a necessary sacrifice I guess.

Edit: my plan was to try and fit a creative titanium hd in there

Last edited:
The thought occurred to me, and if there are no good motherboard options when Haswell comes out then this will probably be the route I have to take. It will create some limitations on the eax side for gaming but that will be a necessary sacrifice I guess.

Edit: my plan was to try and fit a creative titanium hd in there
If you're really desperate for an internal card, you can probably find a place inside the case to fit a riser cable and then drill a hole in the soft aluminum to mount the card.

try not to get too far off topic guys. if you want to discuss audio hardware, theres a better forum for that. :)

To be fair, it's a discussion about how to handle audio hardware for this case in particular.

Anyone see this: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=29631
The SilverStone SG10

Silverstone_SG10.png

Looks like Silverstone is coming out with a case that's fairly similar to one of our earlier designs. Interesting.

Looks like Silverstone is coming out with a case that's fairly similar to one of our earlier designs. Interesting.

It's an SG09...with a facelift...no need to go into panic mode. That and it has been posted already.

It's an SG09...with a facelift...no need to go into panic mode. That and it has been posted already.

Lol, it wasnt panic mode at all. In-fact I am glad that more cases like this are starting to come out. More choice is a good thing :)

Is there any replacement for Tecnofront Nano reservoirs? As they are discontinued. Thanks in advance for replies finding similar reservoirs.

Is there any replacement for Tecnofront Nano reservoirs? As they are discontinued. Thanks in advance for replies finding similar reservoirs.

I will be using an Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Pro 10 LT - 100mm that I already have. It should fit ok I think. But really you should be able to use any reservoir as long as its got proper mounting and the holes are in an ideal location for tube routing. So you probably shouldn't use a bay reservoir, but just about any of the smaller tube style reservoirs should work.

You could probably fit a micro-res in there somewhere.

I was planning on putting mine on the back for a few reasons, like easy filling and easy to see level. But yeah You could probably find room for a super small one depending on your setup.

So at the moment we're trying to decide if having the capability to mount a slim optical drive would justify the small added complexity + cost and slightly less-clean aesthetics. We can add in mounting hardware for an upward-facing slim slot drive behind the front panel with no real increase in size. It looks like this:

What do you think - worth doing? Y/n?

Last edited:
if you put it there, it will have minimal/to no impact on aesthetics, but give a little more flexibility. i was kind of secretly hoping one would make it in there somewhere/somehow but didnt want to push for it. only question would be.. where would the eject button go? or would there even be a need for one?

As with my FT03, I love the option but I just use a usb drive on the rare occasions I require those round flat things with data on it.

Back