NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

no prob, i mean i get it but ncase m1 is hardly clown car 02ft

i guess what i really mean is i have no problem with the name. couldn't really imagine people being so fickle over the name of a case when it strikes me as perfectly decent.

as i've been trying to say, it's not about "liking" or "disliking" the name, it's about brand recognition. with a kickstarter campaign that will rely heavily on word of mouth, it would be beneficial to have a name that is easy to remember. i personally dont care what the name is, but i think that a catchier name than ncase m1 would be beneficial to spreading the word about this case when kickstarter time comes around.

I can see where some would consider the brand name as mundane or simply common but I like it. Its not some silly flashy name. And lets face it if this case is as good as is hoped it will get recognition even if its a limited quanitiy. Why? Because people like us will talk it up. Make a few to throw at some professional review sites and if they rave over it then it'll become even more recognize. I think you guys found a good balance in compromise here. Hell I'd buy it just as a collector if its as good as the design shows. Bragging rights, you know. ;)

Make a few to throw at some professional review sites and if they rave over it then it'll become even more recognize. I think you guys found a good balance in compromise here. Hell I'd buy it just as a collector if its as good as the design shows. Bragging rights, you know. ;)

Benchmark Reviews, Legit Reviews, Maximum PC and Tom's Hardware knows about the thread and the product. They were kind enough to offer us a review for the final product.

If we were to just offer limited editions / collector items, it's easier for our schedule.

Anyone actually prefer ncase?

I thought it was pretty clever, because I read it as "encase" / "Necere's case". But can understand that people don't like it if they associate it with "in case".

You know m4rk, it's interesting you responded how you did when I suggested Nazca, because it has those connotations for me too... aliens, right, but also something mysterious and exotic. An enigma. So when attached to this otherwise pretty minimalist case it becomes something like an alien artifact - full of secrets, perhaps imbued with incomprehensibly advanced technology. Or w/e. Maybe Giorgio has ruined it for you and you just think it's cheesy :p

Anyway, here's a quick logo mockup:

xXzXS.jpg

Hey man, I'm not saying these cases are ancient alien artifacts you dug up in your back yard...

But they're probably ancient alien artifacts you dug up in your back yard.

The hair doesn't lie.

On a serious note, that logo looks a lot tighter.

I think it just goes to show why major companies spend millions to come up with product names.

I find it fascinating that some peoples initial reaction was to think of "(Just) (i)n case" when they heard the name NCASE. (I mean this genuinely and not at all in a negative way - I think it just goes to show why it is important to "focus group" proposed names)

My immediate reaction to NCASE was to think of it as nCASE or [n]CASE. Where "n" is a mathematical variable. It was evocative (to me) of cases designed to precise mathematical specifications.

As for "M1" - I like it. I instantly thought of the M1 Garand Rifle and the M1 Abrams Tank. For me it evokes thoughts of "solidly built" and something "versatile" that "functions extremely well".

Because "M1" is fairly generic I do think you need another identifier such as the "nCase M1 Gecko Case" or whatever.

While I think your logo is gorgeous, I personally do not care for the company name Nazca. I don't think that a proper name such as that of a location works very well as a company name, generally speaking. Also, when I saw it my first thought was of NasCar and Nazgul.

Good Luck whatever you do. The case looks awesome!

Last edited:
I like just the M1. ABS/Rosewill used to sell a really rugged mechanical keyboard called the M1, I have one and it's pretty sweet.

I think it just goes to show why major companies spend millions to come up with product names.

I find it fascinating that some peoples initial reaction was to think of "(Just) (i)n case" when they heard the name NCASE. (I mean this genuinely and not at all in a negative way - I think it just goes to show why it is important to "focus group" proposed names)

My immediate reaction to NCASE was to think of it as nCASE or [n]CASE. Where "n" is a mathematical variable. It was evocative (to me) of cases designed to precise mathematical specifications.

As for "M1" - I like it. I instantly thought of the M1 Garand Rifle and the M1 Abrams Tank. For me it evokes thoughts of "solidly built" and something "versatile" that "functions extremely well".

Because "M1" is fairly generic I do think you need another identifier such as the "nCase M1 Gecko Case" or whatever.

While I think your logo is gorgeous, I personally do not care for the company name Nazca. I generally think that a proper name such as that of a location works very well as a company name. Also, when I saw it my first thought was of NasCar and Nazgul.

Good Luck whatever you do. The case looks awesome!

see, you find it fascinating i think of "just in case" but then you think of "nascar" and "nazgul" where i didnt think of those at all. exact same thing really. :)

I like ncase a lot more than nazca... Make a poll on this if everyone's so up in the air/across the fence on this one.

I love the finished case btw, name doesn't matter for me.

Benchmark Reviews, Legit Reviews, Maximum PC and Tom's Hardware knows about the thread and the product. They were kind enough to offer us a review for the final product.

If we were to just offer limited editions / collector items, it's easier for our schedule.

Have you contacted Anandtech about a possible review?

I like M1, but please don't use Nazca. The first thing I think of is Nascar, and everything bad that comes with it. Definitely prefer Ncase. How about capitalizing the "c", as opposed to the "n", so it would read nCase? Or nCASE?

If there was a poll I would prefer nCase over Nazca but thats just me. The M1 doesnt bother me one bit either. If you guys are really going to do this I'm going to have to buy at least one unit. It'd be really sweet if this thing could be produced by April/May because I'm going to have some serious money flowing in about that time and I need a new lanbox rig. Heh heh. :D

When I say "ncase", I hear "encase", and that "en" forcing itself on me is frustrating. Like trying to say one word, and hearing another. The reason it works with Nvidia is there's no such word as "envidia"

Nazca sounds like someone with an Australian accent saying nascar :p

My favorite so far is "M1", but if you're trying to get something new I'll keep it in my thoughts throughout the day.

Something simple and iconic... hmmm

edit:
btw, fantastic case

NCASE sounds and looks fine to me. I thought that M1 was the case model number... and it would make sense to keep it. This, in my opinion, looks clean, professional, and distinct. NCASE font, though is nearly identical to the one used by CHASE bank... just so you know. Other thought I had... if you get this case to manufacturer, be it TT, Silverstone, Lian Li, or anyone else out there, wouldn't it be a given that they would enforce their logo in the most characteristic to the brand fashion, and location?
aqe1G.jpg

well i'm confused. i thought m1 was the model number too. but the company is called m1?
i thought it was the opposite.

Hope it's not too late in the development process to toss in an idea.
A cover for the front panel when the ports aren't in use to give it a unified sleek look. It would use an up and down sliding motion instead of a "pop out" so when the cover is up, you wouldn't see it sticking out. Here's my quick Photoshop chop:

cover_zps8124f926.jpg

Last edited:
Hope it's not too late in the development process to toss in an idea.
A cover for the front panel when the ports aren't in use to give it a unified sleek look.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same. Look how Shuttle hides the USB outlets in the front of the case.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same. Look how Shuttle hides the USB outlets in the front of the case.

I edited my post to mention the sliding mechanism. I've never been a fan of the "pop out" design which to me takes completely away from the overall visual appeal

NCASE is the company
M1 is the model
M1 is the model of the case.

"NCASE" or "NAZCA" is a brand that W360/Necere are using to make it easier to find their project in the future for Kickstarter or whatever. I doubt they plan on trying to compete with Silverstone or Lian Li for business. That would make their production costs soar, since who would want to help a competitor succeed?

What I'm saying is it might be prudent to curb your enthusiasm, fellow [H]erd members. I've spouted quite a bit of hyperbole in this thread and contributed to the problem, but I'm going to try to restrain myself from now on.

Remember, this thread was created in order to realize one dude's dream and build a boutique collector's item.

Whatever the name on the case says, I'm going to paint it red. :cool:

I believe people will refer to the case as M1 instead of NCASE M1, the same way SG05 is used instead of SS SG05.

As long as M1, the model name, sounds ok, the company name doesn't matter - we just wanted a TAX ID for importing.

I think M4rk pretty much nailed it. We have day jobs, this is more suitable for a hobby.

For the backers, you will get a rare item.

Last edited:
M1 is the model of the case.

"NCASE" or "NAZCA" is a brand that W360/Necere are using to make it easier to find their project in the future for Kickstarter or whatever. I doubt they plan on trying to compete with Silverstone or Lian Li for business. That would make their production costs soar, since who would want to help a competitor succeed?

What I'm saying is it might be prudent to curb your enthusiasm, fellow [H]erd members. I've spouted quite a bit of hyperbole in this thread and contributed to the problem, but I'm going to try to restrain myself from now on.

Remember, this thread was created in order to realize one dude's dream and build a boutique collector's item.

Whatever the name on the case says, I'm going to paint it red. :cool:

Yeah, I just posted what I did as some people were confused as to whether M1 was the model name or brand name, and whatnot.

I've been brainstorming all day... and this evening trying to convince w360 that the name needs to tell a story, needs to connect with people. Even if there's only ever a couple hundred of these out there, I want it to be special and memorable. Unfortunately, he hates all my suggestions :( But my insistence has frustrated him and he's telling me to ask the forum.

So of the 30-odd words I had written down in my brainstorming, this one sounds okay, has a cool meaning (w360 disagress, but w/e), and built-in logo ideas: Ensis, which is 'sword' in Latin.

Rough logo ideas:

mLY6r.jpg

kNvaE.jpg

I didn't get many takers for my last idea, we'll see if this one does better. Ensis - y/n?

either icon or name but not both in my opinion . if its a word it needs to mean something that can easily be remembered. if its a icon also something easy to remember.

am very dizzy so i hope i made some kind of sense

Jen

I've been brainstorming all day... and this evening trying to convince w360 that the name needs to tell a story, needs to connect with people. Even if there's only ever a couple hundred of these out there, I want it to be special and memorable. Unfortunately, he hates all my suggestions :( But my insistence has frustrated him and he's telling me to ask the forum.

So of the 30-odd words I had written down in my brainstorming, this one sounds okay, has a cool meaning (w360 disagress, but w/e), and built-in logo ideas: Ensis, which is 'sword' in Latin.

Rough logo ideas:

snip

I didn't get many takers for my last idea, we'll see if this one does better. Ensis - y/n?
Sounds like a mid-tower case name. A full tower could be a longsword or something? ;)

How about "Sica"? It's a latin term for a smaller curved sword.

Here's a Wikipedia list:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:la:Weapons

The logo is cool and I like the idea of using Latin in the name but Ensis has me cracking up. That and the logo together are a bit too much like a certain part of the male anatomy. Now if ron jeremy is the spokesperson you might be on to something.

Back