Ncase Cooling dilema.. Need opinions...

lOCHLI

n00b
First off, hello all, this is my 1st post. Been lurking awhile, but always found what I needed without posting until now..

So, Im at a cross roads with my Ncase. Problem is: Heat.

My current setup is:
Ambient temp is always 70F
X34 Predator monitor @ 100hz
Z170 Pro gaming w/e
6700K mild OC
SF600 PSU
Titan X pascal
2x 8gigs dominator ram
4x Noctua NF F12? (High pressure 120mm) 2 under GPU poiting towards it, 1x per radiator (see below)

Current Cooling config, which is yielding great temps under all clocks (4.4 on cpu 2k on gpu), however, isnt as "cool looking":
Corsair H75? (Small unsleeved rubber tubes) for the CPU: Max temps Ive captured is maybe 75-78c after many many many hours of 4k gaming
GPU is cooled by a modded 1080TI hybird kit, which cut the temps almost in half from the stock cooler. (86c to maybe 58c, hell ive idled @ 13c for hours) This cooler is actually awesome for the titan and the titan does not thermal trottle period anymore.

I was trying to get my temps even lower, so I ordered a full loop from EKWB consisting of:
Supreme EVO? copper block ( the 75 dollar one)
Full gpu cooper block and backplate
240mm SE? slim rad
EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM pump combo unit
all accosiated hardware / Compression fittings / 3/8-5/8 ID/OD Soft tubing

Mounted like this:
Rad is under the GPU, Slim noctua fans AX? something or another pushing through rad towards floor
Pump is mounted vertically on the front inside panel in custom drilled holes.
Loop chain is:
Pump our -> CPU in -> CPU out ->GPU In? (Hole closest to where you plug in the HDMI Cables/Display port) -> GPU out (other hole) -> rad in -> rad out -> Pump in

Issue is the temps are absolute garbage in the custom loop. I mean, literally soon as I boot up the CPU/GPU is 35c- Start prime95 and CPU hits 100c instantly. 5min of game on the GPU is upto about 70c again.

I have since uninstalled the custom loop and went back to the the 2x closed loop AIO which are performing wonderfully. What did I do wrong in the custom loop? I resat the CPU and GPU twice which fixed nothing, I bleed the air for 24hours, everything looked rock solid. Im clueless...

Is my setup to much for a single slim rad and thats why the individual rads are working better? The AIO rads are mounted on the horizontal bracket below the CPU but above the GPU.

I feel like the custom setup should performed way better but in the 3x different removal and installs I did did nothing.

hellppp!!

First off, hello all, this is my 1st post. Been lurking awhile, but always found what I needed without posting until now..

So, Im at a cross roads with my Ncase. Problem is: Heat.

My current setup is:
Ambient temp is always 70F
X34 Predator monitor @ 100hz
Z170 Pro gaming w/e
6700K mild OC
SF600 PSU
Titan X pascal
2x 8gigs dominator ram
4x Noctua NF F12? (High pressure 120mm) 2 under GPU poiting towards it, 1x per radiator (see below)

Current Cooling config, which is yielding great temps under all clocks (4.4 on cpu 2k on gpu), however, isnt as "cool looking":
Corsair H75? (Small unsleeved rubber tubes) for the CPU: Max temps Ive captured is maybe 75-78c after many many many hours of 4k gaming
GPU is cooled by a modded 1080TI hybird kit, which cut the temps almost in half from the stock cooler. (86c to maybe 58c, hell ive idled @ 13c for hours) This cooler is actually awesome for the titan and the titan does not thermal trottle period anymore.

I was trying to get my temps even lower, so I ordered a full loop from EKWB consisting of:
Supreme EVO? copper block ( the 75 dollar one)
Full gpu cooper block and backplate
240mm SE? slim rad
EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM pump combo unit
all accosiated hardware / Compression fittings / 3/8-5/8 ID/OD Soft tubing

Mounted like this:
Rad is under the GPU, Slim noctua fans AX? something or another pushing through rad towards floor
Pump is mounted vertically on the front inside panel in custom drilled holes.
Loop chain is:
Pump our -> CPU in -> CPU out ->GPU In? (Hole closest to where you plug in the HDMI Cables/Display port) -> GPU out (other hole) -> rad in -> rad out -> Pump in

Issue is the temps are absolute garbage in the custom loop. I mean, literally soon as I boot up the CPU/GPU is 35c- Start prime95 and CPU hits 100c instantly. 5min of game on the GPU is upto about 70c again.

I have since uninstalled the custom loop and went back to the the 2x closed loop AIO which are performing wonderfully. What did I do wrong in the custom loop? I resat the CPU and GPU twice which fixed nothing, I bleed the air for 24hours, everything looked rock solid. Im clueless...

Is my setup to much for a single slim rad and thats why the individual rads are working better? The AIO rads are mounted on the horizontal bracket below the CPU but above the GPU.

I feel like the custom setup should performed way better but in the 3x different removal and installs I did did nothing.

hellppp!!

The biggest problem is the bottom mounted radiator with slim fans, I have seen this setup and with an added 92mm radiator and I have never seen what I consider good temps. The Slim fans just cannot push enough air to cool properly. I saw one guy that cut out the area below the fans on the case bottom and that helped some, but still not great. Second problem is the EK SE radiator, I have heard nothing but bad things about this radiator. HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTS 240 performs much better.

If you want decent water cooling performance you need to mount the radiator on the side bracket, you would have to use a different pum/res for this setup. D5 pump and internal res won't fit with a side mounted reservoir. FrozenQ reservoir is the easiest option for this setup.

38dec174f7.jpg

This was my previous setup, GTS 240 radiator, Swiftech Apogee Drive II and FrozenQ reservoir. Running an OCed 6600k 1.25v and a GTX 1070. Max CPU temps were 55C and 42C for the GPU. I know the 1070 will run cooler than a Titan but you wouldn't be that far off.

I have looked at many builds with a bottom radiator and they look good, but I just have not seen one with decent cooling performance.

Check this link:

http://imgur.com/a/k9I59

AHzIlBE.jpg

If I were to go water-cooling in a M1 right now, I would go this route, but I would add in the FrozenQ reservoir...

This will still allow you to keep the 'open' concept with the tubing (to allow as little restriction a possible to the air trying to go up & out of the chassis)...

He uses an EK DDC PWM pump under the GPU (pump without any 'fancy' top, just a one piece barbs/top combo sorta deal) & has the tubing going to the radiator configured to tuck to the side, out of the way of the hot air trying to rise & leave the chassis (positive pressure)...

er9yxjA.jpg

Note he is also using the EK 240 PE radiator, which is 38mm thick, and provides much better cooling than the 240 SE model...

This is the exact set-up (adding in the FrozenQ reservoir, of course) that I may use for a Ryzen / RX Vega build...

Wow!!! Thanks for all the tips so far guys! I know the rad on the bottom was an issue, it was almost scolding hot after minimal use. Im not sure if I wanna dump more money into getting the EK setup to work considering the 2 closed loops, while ugly, just works at 1/10th the cost...

Im curious though, I see you recommend the EK DDC PWM pump, however, his build log shows a topsflo tdc-a pump. I compared the specs on the 2, and it seems the EK one is only good for coolant temps of 60c MAX while the TDC-A is good for 85c, however, the EK pump flows 1000l/h vs the tdc @ 400....

What do you guys think? I may give the custom loop one more go, but these pumps got me conflicted on which one is optimal.

I have a bottom rad (HWL 240 slim) with slim fans, and have tested with / without the HWL 92 radiator, and haven't seen 100c before. Prime95 small FFT test will cause temps to shoot up to 80 initially, but not 100c. Something's not right with waterblock contact, flow, air pockets, tubing kink, etc? Unless you want a window, I recommend side mounted radiator.

Im curious though, I see you recommend the EK DDC PWM pump, however, his build log shows a topsflo tdc-a pump. I compared the specs on the 2, and it seems the EK one is only good for coolant temps of 60c MAX while the TDC-A is good for 85c, however, the EK pump flows 1000l/h vs the tdc @ 400...

You are correct, the build I referenced does use a different pump, but I feel the EK version would work just as well...

The D5 in your EK XRES-100 Revo combo unit is rated for 60°C, as are all of the pumps EK offers, excepting the SPC pump which is at 50°C...

Regarding cost, full custom loop water cooling is not cheap...!

For an all EK build (with the singular non-EK item being the FrozenQ reservoir), I would be looking at just under US$700...

Add in the Ncase M1 chassis & a set of custom PSU cables, & I am slightly over US$1,000 before even putting any actual computer components into the chassis...!

sorry for the late reply, just got finished building. I followed boils example provided, and man, it works much better. I did use the EK DDC 3.5 pump instead of the topsflo one, however, its abit noisey (buzzing @ 4400 rpm). Seeing temps under Prime95 max heat stress @ around 60c w/ 1.200 vcore @4.4 on a 6700K. Now, I have 1 more question. the more reading I do, I see most recommend 120mm rad per block and 1 extra. Currently, I only have a 240. I was thinking of adding a slim 120 in the bottom of the case, but I dunno if it will help much. Has to be slim rad and slim fan, not much room under GPU. What do you guys think? worth the 80-100 bucks? Also am running a series config because it seems to be netting better temps, but I didnt try it with the lower Vcore like I have now. No sure if I wanna rebuild just to test lol.

I tried to flow from pump-> rad->CPU 1st but it seems the pump couldn't pump uphill... so I guess the GPU will have to come 1st, but from what I understand the order doesn't matter anyway.

Anyway, Id say other than the pump noise, its working good. Gaming WoW @ 10 setting ultra everything on a X34 predator (4k) OC'd to 100hz, I'm seeing an average 100fps with a general loop temp of 50-55c @32c ambient. So that's a 20c detlaT? so I know there is room to improve, just dunno if there is space or if the cost to improvement is worth it.

Interesting though, was looking at some graphs, and it seems the NF F12's are not suited RPM wise to the EK PE 240. The graph shows this rad needs around 1850RPM to cool an average 315? TDP. the F12's only spin at 1450, so I have some AP45 PWM original scyth 120's on the way. See how that helps. Another note it the heat the F12's are blowing through the radiator isn't that warm at all, but the loop temp is 50c. Dunno why the fans are not blowing hot air off. I did some simple math of switching to the XE 240, which would be perfect to cool 350+- TDP, but that would only leave 5mm clearance from PSU/Cables/other. I think thats a tad to close for comfort.

Here is a link to the pump noise.. http://vid16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Greenz123/Computer/20170829_082109.mp4
What do you guys think? Should I RMA it or is this normal. Been going back n forth with EK about it and they say it because the pump is sitting "on bare metal" however, I have a layer of 3m foam tape between it and the case so... its not that.

thanks as always guys!

Back