NBA Coach Allegedly Punished Entire Team ... Because One Player Had An Android?

DukenukemX

Supreme [H]ardness
The group chat they were having was interrupted by one using an Android phone and not for the reason you'd believe. The Android phone crashed the entire group chat.

"At one point center Thon Maker didn't have an iPhone, messing up the team's blue-bubble iPhone group chat," Fader wrote in the book, as detailed by Insider. "Kidd was upset about it and made the team run because Kidd felt that Maker not getting an iPhone was an example of the team not being united."

https://www.cracked.com/article_308...e-team-because-one-player-had-an-android.html

Sometimes I feel the pain. If I need to text a bunch of people to do something in a time efficient manner and one person has an Android AND I dont have good LTE signal (just WiFi), the whole text can get delayed or simply not sent. Wont know that until the people are not doing what I need them to do.

It’s frustrating but not to the level of mandating what kind of phone to use. If that is the case, then the employer needs to purchase the phones (we all know that comes out of the employee‘s pay anyways).

The group chat they were having was interrupted by one using an Android phone and not for the reason you'd believe. The Android phone crashed the entire group chat.

"At one point center Thon Maker didn't have an iPhone, messing up the team's blue-bubble iPhone group chat," Fader wrote in the book, as detailed by Insider. "Kidd was upset about it and made the team run because Kidd felt that Maker not getting an iPhone was an example of the team not being united."

https://www.cracked.com/article_308...e-team-because-one-player-had-an-android.html
No boss is going to tell me which brand phone to use or not use. F'em.

I shouldn't have to do anything to earn my $10.5million a year minimum! Especially when it comes to violating my position of sub-sycophant second class in the superapplehaters cult!

But then there's also this fucking obnoxious teacher attitude of punishing everyone.

I feel no pity!

Cracked had one thing that was just ok, After Hours, and they've never even come close to even that level of average before or since.

I bet if they paid you millions of dollars you'd use the brand they tell you.
Used to be, not sure if it's true anymore, that players (across various sports) could only use one particular brand of shoe... because the whole organization (e.g. NFL) signed equipment contracts with companies

Sometimes I feel the pain. If I need to text a bunch of people to do something in a time efficient manner and one person has an Android AND I dont have good LTE signal (just WiFi), the whole text can get delayed or simply not sent. Wont know that until the people are not doing what I need them to do.

It’s frustrating but not to the level of mandating what kind of phone to use. If that is the case, then the employer needs to purchase the phones (we all know that comes out of the employee‘s pay anyways).
try calling them next time and speaking to them like a human being is suppose to do.

Taken from the end of the article, funny shit.

For more internet nonsense, follow Carly on Instagram

Kinda says it all!

Used to be, not sure if it's true anymore, that players (across various sports) could only use one particular brand of shoe... because the whole organization (e.g. NFL) signed equipment contracts with companies

In the NBA they have more latitude because of the shoe deals but I'm sure all their jerseys are one brand. College sports tend to have more uniformity of equipment. Obviously, this is different but I understand what you are saying.

You are correct. And yet critical thinkers believe it as fact as long as it aligns with what they want to believe.

My understanding from the article was that this is a revelation in a forthcoming book that is soon to be published. It's just a clickbaity snippet from the book. I'm not sure there was a lot of reporting that had to go into the article.

😂 Never said it wasn't.

The android phone meant diddly, it was just a tool that Kidd tried to use to light some leadership lights on his team. He was/is known for going overboard.

Welcome to Kiddsville Dallas!

Your post implied it with your comment of kind of says it all.

😂 Never said it wasn't.

The android phone meant diddly, it was just a tool that Kidd tried to use to light some leadership lights on his team. He was/is known for going overboard.

Welcome to Kiddsville Dallas!
I've never understood what makes people confuse being an AHole with leadership. There's virtually nothing someone can do to make me more rapidly lose all respect I had for and instead hold them as beneath contempt.

I've never understood what makes people confuse being an AHole with leadership. There's virtually nothing someone can do to make me more rapidly lose all respect I had for and instead hold them as beneath contempt.
He's the personification of the two headed monster. Behaves one way in front of the cameras and the opposite behind closed doors.
Everyone raved about his floor leadership as a player but that obviously doesn't automatically translate into a successful coach. He likens himself to the old school hard asses like Popovich or Belichek but there are very few that can pull that off successfully. That type usually either burns a young team out or puts a veteran team into its next gear(even then usually only short term). Todays players generally dont respond well to being yelled at constantly.
Im amazed that Mark Cuban was foolish enough to hire this knucklehead at the stage that his team is in developmentally. I would be more worried about all the negatives Kidd brings vs the few positives(its no secret what he's done in the past). Maybe Cuban knows something the rest of the world doesn't. I hope for Dallas fans he right.

I bet if they paid you millions of dollars you'd use the brand they tell you.
It doesn’t even take a million dollars. My last employer said “we will give you a company iPhone, pay for it and the monthly bills, and you can use it for personal calls , texts, and web browsing if you want…. Or you can bring your own android, pay for your own cell plan, and all the email and calendar configuration is on you with no support”.

Uh, yeah, I’ll take the free phone and save myself the cost of a cell plan. Don’t even have to think twice.

He's the personification of the two headed monster. Behaves one way in front of the cameras and the opposite behind closed doors.
Everyone raved about his floor leadership as a player but that obviously doesn't automatically translate into a successful coach. He likens himself to the old school hard asses like Popovich or Belichek but there are very few that can pull that off successfully. That type usually either burns a young team out or puts a veteran team into its next gear(even then usually only short term). Todays players generally dont respond well to being yelled at constantly.
Im amazed that Mark Cuban was foolish enough to hire this knucklehead at the stage that his team is in developmentally. I would be more worried about all the negatives Kidd brings vs the few positives(its no secret what he's done in the past). Maybe Cuban knows something the rest of the world doesn't. I hope for Dallas fans he right.

With apologies to Dallas fans, having zero investment in their team - or the game as a whole - I hope karma catches up at last; and he crashes and burns hard enough to become unemployable as a coach and he ends up having to spend the rest of his life working retail and arguing with the Karens.

It doesn’t even take a million dollars. My last employer said “we will give you a company iPhone, pay for it and the monthly bills, and you can use it for personal calls , texts, and web browsing if you want…. Or you can bring your own android, pay for your own cell plan, and all the email and calendar configuration is on you with no support”.

Uh, yeah, I’ll take the free phone and save myself the cost of a cell plan. Don’t even have to think twice.

See, I carry two phones. One iPhone from work and an Android phone for myself. Two reasons from my perspective. One is that the company is horrible at providing new phones. I'm currently using a scratched up iPhone 8 that was used by many others before it got dropped in my lap only last year. Second reason is that I don't trust them not to be poking their nose into my business or getting on my case for using too much data. They don't say you can't use it for personal reasons but if you start to run up data they'll get on your ass about it. So, any personal use would have to fall within their narrow expectation of how much data you should be using. Plus, it lets me disconnect from work when I want and not have to give up the connection to my family and friends.

See, I carry two phones. One iPhone from work and an Android phone for myself. Two reasons from my perspective. One is that the company is horrible at providing new phones. I'm currently using a scratched up iPhone 8 that was used by many others before it got dropped in my lap only last year. Second reason is that I don't trust them not to be poking their nose into my business or getting on my case for using too much data. They don't say you can't use it for personal reasons but if you start to run up data they'll get on your ass about it. So, any personal use would have to fall within their narrow expectation of how much data you should be using. Plus, it lets me disconnect from work when I want and not have to give up the connection to my family and friends.
Yep, I can get that. I’m too cheap to pass up a “free” $60/month myself. It’s not like I send anything on my phone that I wouldn’t want my boss to see either. I mean, if he really wants to read my chats from my fantasy football leagues with high school and college friends, or my group chat about what we are going to play in Diablo Ii resurrected, he can have at it.

It’s one of my few rules of life:
1) if someone asks if you’re a god, you say yes.
2) if someone wants to legally give you free money, you take it.

Yep, I can get that. I’m too cheap to pass up a “free” $60/month myself. It’s not like I send anything on my phone that I wouldn’t want my boss to see either. I mean, if he really wants to read my chats from my fantasy football leagues with high school and college friends, or my group chat about what we are going to play in Diablo Ii resurrected, he can have at it.

It’s one of my few rules of life:
1) if someone asks if you’re a god, you say yes.
2) if someone wants to legally give you free money, you take it.
Props for #1.

One potential drawbck--how much this will impact a given person will vary with their circumstances--is that if your only phone is the one your company lets you use, and you leave that job, you just lost your phone #.

I've been considering changing my phone number for a while because of the volume of spam and fraud calls I get, but it means everything that's tied to the phone will have to get updated. That's work (since I need 2FA for email if I'm not using the work computer), Google (email), my apartment complex, my doctor, and a bunch of other places like my pharmacy. I don't know what all of them are off the top of my head, which means I'd almost certainly miss something, at a potential loss of the ability to get back into an account if I forgot my password.

Props for #1.

One potential drawbck--how much this will impact a given person will vary with their circumstances--is that if your only phone is the one your company lets you use, and you leave that job, you just lost your phone #.

I've been considering changing my phone number for a while because of the volume of spam and fraud calls I get, but it means everything that's tied to the phone will have to get updated. That's work (since I need 2FA for email if I'm not using the work computer), Google (email), my apartment complex, my doctor, and a bunch of other places like my pharmacy. I don't know what all of them are off the top of my head, which means I'd almost certainly miss something, at a potential loss of the ability to get back into an account if I forgot my password.

That risk is also one where I'd draw a hard line. The other is that I'd never give full admin/erasure rights on my phone to an employer. If they want to pay me an extra $X/month to partially/fully cover my phone bill because they need me to be available for work, ok; but only to the extent that It's still my bill to pay and number to own. Likewise, if they want to run some sort of secure sandbox container for their email/etc; that's fine as long as the lockdown goes both ways so that they can't snoop on or wipe anything outside of the sandbox.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned that Android crashed iPhone software and they blamed the Android phone. Also, does this mean Android users can crash iPhones?

Back