'NBA 2K21' Will Cost $70 USD for PS5 and Xbox Series X. Is this the new normal?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
https://hypebeast.com/2020/7/nba-2k21-will-reportedly-cost-70-usd-for-ps5-and-xbox-series-x

"Video game developer Take-Two Interactive recently announced that NBA 2K21 for the Sony PlayStation 5 and Microsoft Xbox Series X will come with a suggested retail price of $69.99 USD."

https://www.ign.com/videos/are-70-next-gen-games-justified

"Game pricing has remained "flat" since 2005 whereas TV and movie pricing has increased significantly."

Thoughts? Will you be waiting longer to get games on release, or will the $10 price increase not really affect the way you buy games?

https://hypebeast.com/2020/7/nba-2k21-will-reportedly-cost-70-usd-for-ps5-and-xbox-series-x

"Video game developer Take-Two Interactive recently announced that NBA 2K21 for the Sony PlayStation 5 and Microsoft Xbox Series X will come with a suggested retail price of $69.99 USD."

https://www.ign.com/videos/are-70-next-gen-games-justified

"Game pricing has remained "flat" since 2005 whereas TV and movie pricing has increased significantly."

Thoughts? Will you be waiting longer to get games on release, or will the $10 price increase not really affect the way you buy games?
Shitty but if it is a game I want I'll pay. Companies releasing $100 crappy digital deluxe edition was a test and all you people failed it. They know people are willing to pay it. Of course there will still continue to push micro transactions also.

I dont know why people continually buy these sports games that are essentially the same thing over and over again.

Also yes I think this is the new normal. Prices will go up to $70 and we will see more micro transactions and less content per game.

Nacon was doing it before it was cool, launching TT Isle of Man for $70 on Xbox One.

One example does not establish a trend. This story has been doing the rounds all week and it's nothing but click bait since gaming news has been so slow recently.

Shitty but if it is a game I want I'll pay. Companies releasing $100 crappy digital deluxe edition was a test and all you people failed it. They know people are willing to pay it. Of course there will still continue to push micro transactions also.

I also want to remind everyone that this is not entirely new... Check the prices for some of these SNES games in this old Sears catalog from the 90s...

Doom for $75... Donkey Kong Country for $70...

il_1140xN.1850270761_e8o7.jpg

I also want to remind everyone that this is not entirely new... Check the prices for some of the SNES games at the bottom of this old ad...

View attachment 260128
Cartridges had a reason to be expensive.

Various chips pcbs manufacturing and Nintendos licensing fee were on the top of the price of the game.

This is literally pressing a cd in to life and if it's digital there's no media at all.

Various chips pcbs manufacturing and Nintendos licensing fee were on the top of the price of the game.

This is literally pressing a cd in to life and if it's digital there's no media at all.

Interesting. I also remember back when Steam launched thinking games would be cheaper since we didn't have to buy the case or discs... but we never saw any price decreases. Prices just stayed the same.

Interesting. I also remember back when Steam launched thinking games would be cheaper since we didn't have to buy the case or discs... but we never saw any price decreases. Prices just stayed the same.
No prices increased. They just didn’t pass the savings onto you.

They’re right video game pricing has remained static, but the cost of distribution has plummeted to pennies. Back in the day with cartridges and big box retail there were associated costs and markups to be passed onto you. Now it’s an online store and a digital game. They can charge whatever they like I’ll just wait six months to pick it up in the bargain bin as NBA 2022 will almost be out. I can wait, I’m super fucking busy.

Also games included full colored instructions books with art and stuff. Now you just get a panflet with advertising for other games. Also those $75 games were lucky to break a million sales. Now 10 million sales is on the lower end.

Why do you think PC gamers generally don't buy games unless they're on sale? Publishers are not going to lower their prices if the market accepts them and it brings them more profit.
No prices increased. They just didn’t pass the savings onto you.

They’re right video game pricing has remained static, but the cost of distribution has plummeted to pennies. Back in the day with cartridges and big box retail there were associated costs and markups to be passed onto you. Now it’s an online store and a digital game. They can charge whatever they like I’ll just wait six months to pick it up in the bargain bin as NBA 2022 will almost be out. I can wait, I’m super fucking busy.
Why do you think we're being nickled and dimed with DLC, microtransactions and the GaaS model ;)

What games are even worthy of launch price anymore?

Last one to get that honor from me was dark souls 3... I thought borderlands 3 would make that prestigious list but nah.

The most expensive games produced appear to be "free" games that offer in-game advantage for cash.

Just look at games like World of Tanks and the like, and you see people dropping $100+ every few months, or worse Star Citizen where instead of $60 or $70 for game, they fund the idea of a game for hundreds of dollars. Mobile gaming in particular seems to go after those with gambling addiction issues, and likewise a game that should cost $5-10 instead they spend thousands on.

My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked membership expires in October. That is going to be a sad day.

I don't think the price increase will deter me from Day-1 releases. It's within my financial means to spend the extra $10. At face-value, I don't like the thought of paying more, but, knowing my passion for gaming, I'll wind up doing it.

However, my gaming habits and spending have been greatly modified with the inception of Xbox and PC Game Pass. Like others, I do jump on game sales to pad my ever-increasing backlog, but titles that come to Game Pass garner a lot of attention for me. And, in the end, I wind up playing (and enjoying0 games I never would have before.

I also want to remind everyone that this is not entirely new... Check the prices for some of these SNES games in this old Sears catalog from the 90s...

View attachment 260128
Those days are not forgotten by me and neither is the fact that the Killer Instinct cartridge is black and the Doom one is red; I could justify the extra $10 if my next-gen games came in different colors. :LOL:

Also games included full colored instructions books with art and stuff. Now you just get a panflet with advertising for other games. Also those $75 games were lucky to break a million sales. Now 10 million sales is on the lower end.
Both very excellent points.

What games are even worthy of launch price anymore?
Well, that's a question that is personal to each consumer's preferences and idea of value.

Also increased significantly, the number of cord cutters, and people subscribing to services lile Netflix.

That said, if they want to go that direction, surr lets see regular 10 dollar increases in pricing, then "why is no one buying our game?"

Also increased significantly, the number of cord cutters, and people subscribing to services lile Netflix.

That said, if they want to go that direction, surr lets see regular 10 dollar increases in pricing, then "why is no one buying our game?"

The only time I am paying full price for a game these days is if I want to support the developer and it aint gonna be one of those really big AAA titles that gets that. Subnautica is the last game I paid full price for. Worth every penny too.

There just isn't any compelling reason to buy on day 1 or even 20 anymore. Except impatience.

View attachment 260128

Those aren't the actual MSRPs for the games at that time, that's from the 1995 Sears Christmas Book where they inflated the prices over MSRP. They listed the Playstation at $359 instead of its $299 MSRP.

ih.jpg

$70 isnt bad sadly its would be normal and I would pay it for a game I really wanted. Most games I wait till the prices drops about 20ish before I buy.

Those aren't the actual MSRPs for the games at that time, that's from the 1995 Sears Christmas Book where they inflated the prices over MSRP. They listed the Playstation at $359 instead of its $299 MSRP.

View attachment 260145

I do remember plenty of games being $60 and even $65 at the time. I don't quite remember $70 for a game, but it could definitely have been the case for some?

zamardii12 ND40oz as someone who was buying games in the early 90s, I can tell you that the sears catalog was not the place to get them. Most NES and SNES titles were $50. Some places like toys r us and various department stores overcharged. Those catalogs did it all the time, but people couldn’t easily cross shop like we can now so no one really noticed if the PlayStation was $360 and that was more than SRP. Especially parents doing phone or mail orders for things for their kids birthday or the holidays

my memory of it is fuzzy now but I think the $60 going rate started in the x360 / ps3 era. Maybe late ps2?

(early N64 cartridges were $60+ when the system was in short supply and $60 might have been the norm for them, but PlayStation and Saturn games, even Dreamcast games, were $50 at the high end).

Anyways, I can’t remember the last time I paid full price for a game, so this doesn’t really matter to me. I’ve been 6-7 years behind in my gaming for about 10 years now, since I stopped playing world of Warcraft and started trying to play everything I’d missed.

not surprised if prices do go up though it will make systems in general a harder sell. I bet GameStop likes the idea of making more on used games.

Doesn’t matter to me as I never buy games at launch. There has been a slight increase in bargain basement prices though. There are fewer $4.99 games and more $7.49 or $9.99 these days.

zamardii12 ND40oz

Anyways, I can’t remember the last time I paid full price for a game, so this doesn’t really matter to me.

I'm the same way actually. Nowadays even the games I am SUPER looking forward to I don't buy at launch... like I could be waiting for a game and say over and over to myself that i'll definitely get this day one, but release day comes and I just don't. It's like others have said... life is busy and I already have a huge backlog anyway. I think the only game i'll be buying at launch this year is Cyberpunk, but again I could be saying that and it not happen anyway.

There were handful of $60 games back in the 90's, notably those using larger sized carts in the 16 bit days. Since Nintendo stuck with carts, the majority of N64 games were $60 new were as the Sega Saturn and and Sony Playstation 1 leveraged the cheaper manufacturing cost of their mediums to sell games at $50. PC games varied but typically topped out at $50 as well.

While there were a few $60 titles in the PS2/Xbox/GC generation, it wasn't standardized until the PS3/Xbox 360 era. (Even then, many Wii games were $50 FWIW). Media shifted from DVD to Bluray and console licensing fees for that generation increased as the hardware as sold at a massive loss at launch. PC games were still popping out at $50 until the sometime in the PS3/Xbox 360 era too despite no changes on the licensing or development costs. What has happened over time is developers cutting back on what end users get for the $60 entry fee as DLC and microtransactions are where the cash cows are now.

GTA V at release was cheaper on PC than console at the time and it was out for 1.5 years on console when it finally released on PC

Also sales.
That is not even the same thing. Brand new AAA games will also be $70 on release for PC.

Here is a wild thought..........get some self control and wait for the game to hit $30 or $40 bucks. Unless you're a psycho streamer looking for revenue, you honestly can't play last years basketball or shooter or play GTA another month......I doubt anyone here isn't running a backlog of untouched (unopened?) games they could burn some time with while waiting for some "$70? SMD?" title to drop to $40 or so....personally I buy at $30 or less and never before, I don't early adopt anything...most of these games you blow through in a weeks time anyhow so why spend top dollar to be bored a few weeks later.

You guys into multiplayer probably feel differently, wanting to get in on the ground floor and build up stats or whatever but for me.....hell I just started my second full walkthrough of Fallout 4 cuz I've forgotten enough about the missions now that its sorta brand new. I'm siding with the brotherhood this time.....the Institute, the Railroad, the Minutemen....they're gonna buuuuuurn under the righteous fire of justice that only the Brotherhood can supply! HAIL COBRA!

Here is a wild thought..........get some self control and wait for the game to hit $30 or $40 bucks. Unless you're a psycho streamer looking for revenue, you honestly can't play last years basketball or shooter or play GTA another month......I doubt anyone here isn't running a backlog of untouched (unopened?) games they could burn some time with while waiting for some "$70? SMD?" title to drop to $40 or so....personally I buy at $30 or less and never before, I don't early adopt anything...most of these games you blow through in a weeks time anyhow so why spend top dollar to be bored a few weeks later.

You guys into multiplayer probably feel differently, wanting to get in on the ground floor and build up stats or whatever but for me.....hell I just started my second full walkthrough of Fallout 4 cuz I've forgotten enough about the missions now that its sorta brand new. I'm siding with the brotherhood this time.....the Institute, the Railroad, the Minutemen....they're gonna buuuuuurn under the righteous fire of justice that only the Brotherhood can supply! HAIL COBRA!
"Seasonal" content is a nefarious FOMO tactic. Seasons used to last 6-12 months in multiplayer game. Now they're lasting 1-3 months. It's another way to lure people into buying a game at full price in addition to wasting money on useless bits that only alter your appearance.

I guess people have forgot what AAA NES games were sold for. The $60 price tag was invented with the NES and lasts to this day as the standard. Except people did not complain in 1988.

Considering inflation game prices have gone down every year since the 90s.
Games "should be" over $100 now if considering initial pricing and staying at inflated rates.

This doesn't affect me at all. I basically never buy anything at launch or at full price. I can wait 2 years to buy something. There are too many games to play anyway.

NBA 2k21 on steam is 59.99

#PCMASTERRACE

We saw this from 2006-2009 or so. A few games started pushing $60, if I recall Call of Duty 4 was the big one. Most console releases jumped to this price shortly after. A few PC releases stayed lower for a short while but $60 became the standard fairly quickly. By 2009 or so all AAA games were $60 with few exceptions.

View attachment 260128

Was just about to post this...

70$ for a game, first that came to mind was Killer Instinct for the SNES.

Yeah all the SNES games were expensive back then. I paid $100 for chrono trigger when it came out, and the most I paid was $125 for lufia 2. The high meg carts were all very expensive, which was most of the RPGs back then.

Honestly, games today should be $100 if you consider how long they are and how much the budget is.

NES games sold for like $50 bucks (which is much more today w/ inflation not even considering the developement time and budget were much less). Or you can consider a movie you might pay $20 and watch once for 2 hours.

Games today you can easily get 20 or 30 hours of entertainment, I think they are worth more than $60.

Back