Navy Shoots Down Plane With Really Big Raygun

HardOCP News

[H] News
Check out the Navy’s new laser weapon system or “LaWS” as they like to call it. This thing is so powerful and accurate that it was able to shoot down an unmanned aerial vehicle in a “combat representative scenario.”

In a red-letter week for the military, the Naval Sea Systems command "successfully tracked, engaged, and destroyed” several unmanned aircraft with its Laser Weapon System, otherwise known as LaWS. and on the ground, iRobot unveiled its gift to the Pentagon -- the 710 Warrior designed to clear an entire 45 square meter minefield in one blow.

I wonder what the power requirements are and if they are going to be able to intergrate that in the small relative production capacities of today's modern surface ships.

all aircraft owned by nations (and less organized groups) hostile to the US have been coated with a mirror surface. When asked about it, a Navy representative said: "all that means is that our radar guided missiles and guns never, ever, miss".

I ould imagine that these guns would be installed on nuclear cariers. Plenty of power with dual nuclear reactors. I was thinking about carriers recently, If an enemy were to develope a large laser for themselves the carriers would be helpless to stop it .

I wonder what the power requirements are and if they are going to be able to intergrate that in the small relative production capacities of today's modern surface ships.

I am not sure about the current fleet but the Destroyer they are working on now to host the RailGun will be sporting a nuke reactor and capacitor bank able to output 64 megajoules sustained for a 10 rounds per second fire rate per gun at 32 megajoules per shot.

I ould imagine that these guns would be installed on nuclear cariers. Plenty of power with dual nuclear reactors. I was thinking about carriers recently, If an enemy were to develope a large laser for themselves the carriers would be helpless to stop it .

Dont see how, first off is theirs mounted on a ship,aircraft or land? Either way we protect our carriers well don't see anyone getting near em anytime soon.

Looks much too big to attach to sharks' heads.

I suspect that pretty much every machine on Earth is helpless to stop it. ;)

Which really just means that the person with the most accurate long-range targetting wins. :D

Funny to see this in contrast to the debate regarding drones.

Just one step closer to both sides playing video games at each other. No deaths, just a lot of destroyed hardware. Then it will evolve into digital only attacks where both sides start hacking into each others' computer systems. Then the hacking gets so sophisticated they need 3D graphical interfaces to handle the hacking.

Pretty soon the video game publishers of the world are running everything.

The United States of Activision?

Ah crap.

Did it really shoot down an aircraft or did it shoot down an RC toy?

Cool.

If we had them on skyscrapers and manned around the clock by military personnel, it could have prevented the twin towers from being crashed into.

Though the planes would have just crashed elsewhere in the city.

We're one of the few countries with the wealth to maintain a standing army in times of peace, might as well have our boys manning rayguns.

Just one step closer to both sides playing video games at each other. No deaths, just a lot of destroyed hardware. Then it will evolve into digital only attacks where both sides start hacking into each others' computer systems. Then the hacking gets so sophisticated they need 3D graphical interfaces to handle the hacking.

Pretty soon the video game publishers of the world are running everything.

The United States of Activision?

Ah crap.

Then someone will get the idea to send someone over to the other guy's place to break his stuff with a big stick because that can't be hacked.

Use it to carve the letters USA into the moon. Then we can claim ownership and say "Why yes, it does have our name on it!"

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've created. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of The Force.

Am I the only one that read this and was reminded of the movie Real Genius? :D

My first thought was of the movie "The Philadelphia Experiment" which really happened. Navy ships combined with Tesla power created strange things.

Nope I thought the same thing, only problem is I don't think Val Kilmer is gonna be around to save the day when the military decides to go rogue.

well i think an aircraft carrier should be able to meet said power requirements with its nuclear reactor.

I wonder how well the laser would perform underwater to fend off torpedoes, how much of the beams intensity would be refracted?

Back