Natural Selection 2 Beta Starts 11/19

thanks for the heads up. looks cool but not enough to drop 35 bucks just to play the beta. guess ill keep an eye on it once it goes retail. really wish game developers would quit doing this pre-order beta access stuff.

thanks for the heads up. looks cool but not enough to drop 35 bucks just to play the beta. guess ill keep an eye on it once it goes retail. really wish game developers would quit doing this pre-order beta access stuff.

Well, its not $35 just to play Beta, you obviously get the full game too at release. The price ain't going down after Beta either.

And small indie Dev's like this rely on pre-orders to fund the development of the game.

Nice but I'll wait for impressions of the beta once its released. Not really ready to drop coin without some research first.

I did love the original.

Well, its not $35 just to play Beta, you obviously get the full game too at release. The price ain't going down after Beta either.

And small indie Dev's like this rely on pre-orders to fund the development of the game.

obviously you got what i ment and i wasn't referring to just the beta costing 35 bucks. but the sad truth is that most of these pre-order beta games never come out with a demo so that beta is pretty much the only thing you can use to decide on if its worth buying.

but what i was referring to was locking up 35 bucks of my own money to play the beta only to find out the games not even that good then that's a week of waiting for my money to show back up in my account after canceling the pre-order.

i remember being one of the first gamers that tried NS back in its modification days. There were a lot of awesome half-life mods. I remember a vampire/vampire killer one that was really fun to play as well.May have to invest in the new NS!

NS back in the day was freakin awesome. I loved it. I would totally pay $35 for this and play the beta. I need money first though.

fucking love NS, pre-ordered the alpha over a year ago it seems now. Shit tons of bugs have been fixed since first release not that long ago, they are doing very well progression wise.

JIZZ IN MY PANTS

I was a league CS player and I quit CS altogether because of NS, it was that good.

sad that I forgot to buy the standard version for 20$ :( But glad to see this game progressing, I will be buying it :)

has the beta unlocked? Anyone get in to play? Impressions? Videos? :p

Very interested, but I missed NS1 completely. Is this a noob friendly game? :D

Very interested, but I missed NS1 completely. Is this a noob friendly game? :D

Yes, but its the kind of game that is so layered its fantastic. Basically, marines have 1 commander, this person sits in a pod who gets a bird eye view/isometric of map. They drop items and buildings for teammates. Other marines then need to 'build' these buildings (turrents/armories etc..). So as a marine you have a commander watching from above at all times, you can call for items using hotkeys and if you have a good commander, boom.. shit drops in front of you.

Aliens work differently, you morph to become different classes. Some classes are builder classes, and I do not believe there is a commander role for Aliens in NS2. But playing as an alien class in NS feels more alien and 'right' than any other game. The closest a game has come (for me) was the original Aliens vs Predator, playing the aliens.

Its a fantastic team based game where you control 'nodes' for points and progress through other capture points before taking out the enemy base(s) for the win. Nodes contain cash monies which enable your team to continue building/upgrading. One of the best games I've ever played.

Yes, but its the kind of game that is so layered its fantastic. Basically, marines have 1 commander, this person sits in a pod who gets a bird eye view/isometric of map. They drop items and buildings for teammates. Other marines then need to 'build' these buildings (turrents/armories etc..). So as a marine you have a commander watching from above at all times, you can call for items using hotkeys and if you have a good commander, boom.. shit drops in front of you.

Aliens work differently, you morph to become different classes. Some classes are builder classes, and I do not believe there is a commander role for Aliens in NS2. But playing as an alien class in NS feels more alien and 'right' than any other game. The closest a game has come (for me) was the original Aliens vs Predator, playing the aliens.

Its a fantastic team based game where you control 'nodes' for points and progress through other capture points before taking out the enemy base(s) for the win. Nodes contain cash monies which enable your team to continue building/upgrading. One of the best games I've ever played.

Aliens do actually have a commander(s) in NS2.

has the beta unlocked? Anyone get in to play? Impressions? Videos? :p
See my video link in previous post.

Aliens do actually have a commander(s) in NS2.

See my video link in previous post.

Terrific, thanks for clarifying that. I thought I had read somewhere about that change, and I think its for the better :)

edit. So how does getting the beta work? I buy the game from UW's site and it somehow appears in Steam? How does this work? I want to buy today but I'm unsure how it all works to get access in.

I was in alpha since I bought the special edition. Its been a blast and chin totally looking forward to it

NS1 was a fantastic game hindered by an incredibly bad community and some of the worst mods/admins I've ever had to deal with in my life. Charlie himself is cool but the people that he used to administer the game/forum he created were absolutely the worst bunch of rude fuckwits I've ever met. I was a young mapper at the time and assholes like Grendel (who actually attempted to hack my network at one point, I still have screen shots of the firewall event log + MIRC DNS traces that prove it) totally destroyed my naive passion for content creation. I'll never forget the experience.

That aside, NS2 is indeed bad ass and you should buy it at once.

Game 'works' but I've been disconnected a few times thus far. Back to work for the time being but I'll be playing this a lot tonight

So how does the game choose who becomes the commander for the marines? I'd like to play, but wouldn't want to embarrass myself if I'm appointed commander right off the bat. Does it come with a tutorial? I imagine I'll be keeping an eye out for NS2 shout casts in the future..

Last edited:
So how does the game choose who becomes the commander for the marines? I'd like to play, but wouldn't want to embarrass myself if I'm appointed commander right off the bat. Does it come with a tutorial? I imagine I'll be keeping an eye out for NS2 shout casts in the future..

you manually enter a command center

you have to go get in the commander chair, anyone can get in or out of the commanders chair during the game.

So I tried to play ns2 beta last night, only to find that it took me 20 tries to get into a server, then it was unplayable with the lag. Looked cool as shit though. So I guess Ill have to give them another month of 2 of updates.

So I tried to play ns2 beta last night, only to find that it took me 20 tries to get into a server, then it was unplayable with the lag. Looked cool as shit though. So I guess Ill have to give them another month of 2 of updates.

Next update should be a large improvement to all that.

Woohoo for Unemployment! lol. Gonna get this game when I can. Any game that lets me control and alien that can crawl on the walls and ceilings (ala AvP), is win in my book.

Anybody in the beta yet? Impressions? Is it even playable or is it too marred by bugs to enjoy the testing?

I just ordered it. Downloading now, I will post impressions.

Last edited:
Anybody in the beta yet? Impressions? Is it even playable or is it too marred by bugs to enjoy the testing?

I just ordered it. Downloading now, I will post impressions.

Plenty of videos and impressions floating around. Check the NS2 forums.

Remember, this is a closed beta from a small indie dev... it's not going to be like the open betas for games you see on FilePlanet and shit, it's still fairly rough. Basically an internal beta.

Also read the news on their main page, the lead programmer wrote up an article on the state of the game: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/

Last edited:
Do me a favor and read about the game before posting...
It started on Source years ago and they've since made their own engine from scratch, that was about 2.5 years ago.
http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/spark/

Wikipedia says it was originally designed for Source, I don't see anything spark does that source doesn't. The visuals even look like Source, the maps look like something made in hammer.

http://www.naturalselection2.com/fa...requirements-and-when-will-ns2-be-releas.html
Yay for DirectX 9.0C. I'm going to break out my x1900xt in storage!

Wikipedia says it was originally designed for Source, I don't see anything spark does that source doesn't. The visuals even look like Source, the maps look like something made in hammer.

http://www.naturalselection2.com/fa...requirements-and-when-will-ns2-be-releas.html
Yay for DirectX 9.0C. I'm going to break out my x1900xt in storage!

Spark does a lot more than Source from a development standpoint. Basically there is no waiting for anything to compile or generate. If you make a change to a texture, it's immediately changed in-game. Maps are created in real-time, no waiting for light-maps to generate, etc. These are just a few examples.

Spark does a lot more than Source from a development standpoint. Basically there is no waiting for anything to compile or generate. If you make a change to a texture, it's immediately changed in-game. Maps are created in real-time, no waiting for light-maps to generate, etc. These are just a few examples.

I'm guessing they didn't want to pay licensing fees or something. The light-map stuff is no big deal, especially with newer hardware as it only affects developers. I can't tell the difference between their early videos using source and the new engine, L4D2 has better visuals IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJMf7-HKw6A&feature=player_embedded
I'll pick it up on sale for $14.99.

I'm guessing they didn't want to pay licensing fees or something. The light-map stuff is no big deal, especially with newer hardware as it only affects developers. I can't tell the difference between their early videos using source and the new engine, L4D2 has better visuals IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJMf7-HKw6A&feature=player_embedded
I'll pick it up on sale for $14.99.

Source had too much they didn't want and not enough of what they did want, basically. Listen to the podcast I linked for the details.

if you played and spend tons of time with ns1 graphic will be least of your concern

Back