National Day of Unplugging March 5th 6th

You're not my real dad, you can't tell me what to do.

Dad: "Turn that damn thing off!"
WhatPhaseWishesTheySaid: "But it will someday pay for a couple houses and kids college."

Its for your protection.

aight, I'mma headout.
giphy.gif

Over the past decade, people across the nation and around the world have attended device-free dinner parties, unplugged campus activities, no-phone concerts, ice-cream socials and many other recognized National Day of Unplugging events.

These people are mentally ill. I hope this movement gains exactly zero traction

I can think of a lot of other activities that require mental illness that we look upon today as the norm, getting out and getting some fresh air wouldn't be one of them.

They equate mobile phones to all of technology.

Kids can use cell phones in case of emergency. It's mentally ill to start a movement encouraging people to use the tools that make their lives easier and safer less.

They equate mobile phones to all of technology.

Kids can use cell phones in case of emergency. It's mentally ill to start a movement encouraging people to use the tools that make their lives easier and safer less.
Maybe people just want to get back to their humanity? We are social creatures, having technology glue to your forehead for the greater part of the day is not healthy, people think talking to a person over video chat or texting is the same, its not, its an illusion.

Maybe people just want to get back to their humanity? We are social creatures, having technology glue to your forehead for the greater part of the day is not healthy, people think talking to a person over video chat or texting is the same, its not, its an illusion.

Yup you're right, but I'd rather teach kids about balance and personal responsibility rather than condemn all technology. It's just ignorant

If it makes them happy, who am I to oppose it. No one is getting hurt and it is just a couple days.

For me since it is still cold, disconnecting for me is putting a fire in the fireplace and putting on some headphones and drowning out the day to some pink floyd.

I think the idea is fine. Sometimes, take some time away from The Things.

I'll pick the day though, thanks.

Yup you're right, but I'd rather teach kids about balance and personal responsibility rather than condemn all technology. It's just ignorant
I'm not saying technology is bad or that we should condemn it and you're right there needs to be a balance. Even the Amish use technology.

I mostly unintentionally did this yesterday by sleeping through most of the day, so that's all you'll get out of me.

People use technology differently then you dom shocking I know. When unplugging from tech to kids these days means getting off social media and shit.
That's just it. The intent is not for you to stop having fun, nor is it anti-technology. The point is to step away from the dopamine traps that are otherwise glued to our faces for a godammed minute and have real, meaningful, conversations, experiences, and moments of reflection not possible through a screen.

Disclaimer: the guy who helped found this -- Incidentally, one of the smartest people I know, and definitely not a technophobe -- is a good buddy.

That's just it. The intent is not for you to stop having fun, nor is it anti-technology. The point is to step away from the dopamine traps that are otherwise glued to our faces for a godammed minute and have real, meaningful, conversations, experiences, and moments of reflection not possible through a screen.

Disclaimer: the guy who helped found this -- Incidentally, one of the smartest people I know, and definitely not a technophobe -- is a good buddy.
This just sounds like anti-dopamine propaganda...

I actually forgot my phone today. So that works out.

We're actually going to start doing "Pioneer Weekend" at our place. One weekend a month, spend the two days with no major electronics. Cell phones and computers are shut off. Spend the day around The Homestead doing stuff. Maybe some Legos when we get back inside.

Great idea. To make it more realistic though, tape shut your refrigerator, and turn off all power (except to said refrigerator). :)

Great idea. To make it more realistic though, tape shut your refrigerator, and turn off all power (except to said refrigerator). :)
Hence, "major" electronics. No phones, TVs, or computers. Winter time it can be difficult, but come summer time we're outside 90% of the time.

I never understand the people who find technology stressful and feel the need to unplug to "relax".

I'm the opposite. Everything else is stressful. Technology is how I relax.

And I do not enjoy going out into nature either.

The beach, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, these are all examples of things that if I ever do them again, it will be way too soon.

The less I have to deal with blood sucking insects, sun burns, gross sticky creams to prevent sunburns, mud, fucking sand everywhere and complete and utter boredom, the better.

I am much happier right here where I am in the clean, climate controlled indoors, plugged in.

Hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and technical advancement have culminated in this perfect state of being. If I had a choice, why would I ever choose to leave?
Nailed it. 100% agree. Give me a case of beer, some food, and a computer with a strategy game so complex I need a second monitor with excel open to plan my moves. Set. For. Days.

This whole pandemic thing would have been a treat had it not been complicated by a dog, a 3 month old, and a 2 year old.

So it sounds like you are doing the stay at home Dad thing then? If so, welcome to the club, done that for 10+ years, though only with one kid. :)

Although I value stepping away from technology, I came here for the laughs. Thank you all! =)

does anyone here practice any kind of digital minimalism? By that I mean, being intentional about what tech you embrace and what tech you avoid? I began doing this last year and ended up replacing my Samsung smartphone with the Boring Phone (think the site is boringphone.com). Overall, I am glad I did. I still game on my pc but have ditched social media, have that minimalist phone, and spend less time online in general, though still more time than is needed.

does anyone here practice any kind of digital minimalism? By that I mean, being intentional about what tech you embrace and what tech you avoid? I began doing this last year and ended up replacing my Samsung smartphone with the Boring Phone (think the site is boringphone.com). Overall, I am glad I did. I still game on my pc but have ditched social media, have that minimalist phone, and spend less time online in general, though still more time than is needed.
Definitely. I never followed social media or had an account (apart from a MySpace acct. years back to track bands). Wife and I both work(ed) in an adjacent space and knew early on what it was really designed for and the psychological mechanics of how it worked, so we avoided and avoid still.

As for hardware, I now avoid high-end audio gear since it was sucking up too much time and money. I don't need to be on HiFi forums at 3am arguing for/against conductive properties of gold vs copper cables.

Definitely. I never followed social media or had an account (apart from a MySpace acct. years back to track bands). Wife and I both work(ed) in an adjacent space and knew early on what it was really designed for and the psychological mechanics of how it worked, so we avoided and avoid still.

As for hardware, I now avoid high-end audio gear since it was sucking up too much time and money. I don't need to be on HiFi forums at 3am arguing for/against conductive properties of gold vs copper cables.
Yeah more of my discretionary spending is going to high-end acoustic guitars than tech these days, which is probably how it should be. Though fancy guitars are much more expensive than consumer tech.

I don't see the need too. Social media the only real "tech" that ruins people. Staying off social media and political bs made me a lot more happier.

Yeah more of my discretionary spending is going to high-end acoustic guitars than tech these days, which is probably how it should be. Though fancy guitars are much more expensive than consumer tech.
Pfffft, yesterday I got introduced to Off Road Lawnmowers. I have no idea how this ever flew under the radar.

I kid you not, I put three $50 offers on 30 year old Craftsman riding mowers.

Pfffft, yesterday I got introduced to Off Road Lawnmowers. I have no idea how this ever flew under the radar.

I kid you not, I put three $50 offers on 30 year old Craftsman riding mowers.
Lol get help.
The kinds of guitars I like, I can only afford to buy two max, and that is hopefully not repeated or needed again.

Back