National Clean Our Your Computer Day

Haven't seen a purple PCB in ages. Reminded me of the Soyo and Soltek boards of yonder. Yet this one's an ECS nice.

I suppose I could clean the filters that keep my case pretty much dustless!
4+ years and I only dusted it once before upgrading.

the empty bottle propping up the motherboard is a nice touch

and probably accurate too

A shudder just climbed my spine.

I'm sure most of the people on the [H]ardForum had the same sensation. Bad memories, we all have them.

Dat Parellel port tho...

I found a dead frog in a machine I was working on years ago. Dead mice, dead bugs, a dead rat. One case had been turned into a spider's luxury mansion complete with a network of webs FILLED with dead gnats and more egg sacs than you could shake a stick at. I also found a mouse nest IN a power supply once, I never did figure out the mechanics of that one.

I use a paintbrush to dust out the insides plus my case collects dust on top for some reason.

I found a dead frog in a machine I was working on years ago. Dead mice, dead bugs, a dead rat. One case had been turned into a spider's luxury mansion complete with a network of webs FILLED with dead gnats and more egg sacs than you could shake a stick at. I also found a mouse nest IN a power supply once, I never did figure out the mechanics of that one.

When you have one with a dead fish and maggots let me know

Maybe a fish could be caught up in the water cooling

Yeah, I don't clean my PC too much. But, about every 5 years, I buy a new case. My Fractal R6 TG Gunmetal won't get here until after the first week of March. THEN - I clean!!! I do the same with CHEEP Keyboards - when they get dirty or keys start to stick; I toss it and plug in a new one from my storage of KB/s.

Guess I'll use my shopvac to actually clean my PC and surrounding areas instead of using it to give myself hickies.

I was just thinking of this with my linux based PVR. The machine was purchased in 2006/2007 and has had over a 99% uptime since then. I am not sure when I last cleaned it. I have been trying to replace it but AMD and Intel have been causing delays with this. Hopefully it will happen this year (provided there is no sign of the SMP/ binning bug from Ryzen+).

This day is more about cleaning up Storage, but dealing with dust, gnats, and rats is always worthy too.

I was just thinking of this with my linux based PVR. The machine was purchased in 2006/2007 and has had over a 99% uptime since then. I am not sure when I last cleaned it.

My DRV runs at least 12 hours a day, so it does get dusty and I need to clean it every few years.

I have it set to go to sleep 30 minutes after there is no activity, but with all the shows the family records, and since the wife like to leave shows running as background during the day, it really pulls in a lot of air & dust.

I can usually tell when it needs cleaning because we start hearing the normally quite fans spinning faster. :D

What's good at getting Cheetos dust out of your filters?
I did glance at my system today and noticed I do have a lot of dust on my air intake. It's been a few months since I cleaned it. My temps might drop a degree or two after I clean it.

Haven't seen a purple PCB in ages. Reminded me of the Soyo and Soltek boards of yonder. Yet this one's an ECS nice.
That's my first oem motherboard (its dead). Needed to resolder one capacitor My equipment was bad, and i was doing that in first time.

That must have been the first water cooled system Kyle messed around with... :whistle:

So how many folks will read this as "Clean your Files Day" and format the hard drive or delete that nasty bloated Windows folder? Any data recovery folks have statistics?

Oh noes!
I did it a day early (not even knowing today was the day)
Plus, I have too much to do after work today and won't be able to clean anything anyway.

Is it really all that shocking that this holiday has been going on for 18 years and I have never heard of it until today? (I don't always keep the tidiest PC... ;) )

I picked up a marvy uchida OA duo duster but i'm worried it's not ESD safe. *sigh* the things I do sometimes.

Looking at it, i'm fairly certain it is NOT safe.

Last edited:
I actually cleaned my miners today. Had to vacuum all the dust away. Worth it since they all make about 170 US dollars a day.

I had a purple ECS motherboard. It was an AMD socket 754 and it ran a with a Sempron in it for a loooong time. I eventually retired it to the recycle bin because it just got too slow and power inefficient to be useful

The other purple PCB item I had that served me extremely well was a beloved Ti 4600 made by PNY I rocked back in the day. That saw many hours of UT2k4, Everquest and many other classic games.

I blow my PCs now with a 10 amp leaf blower. I've never felt so much mismatched power and noise, it's like cutting cucumber with a bowling ball.

It's always clean :eek:

g6c3JRE.jpg

I blow my PCs now with a 10 amp leaf blower. I've never felt so much mismatched power and noise, it's like cutting cucumber with a bowling ball.

umm... I'd think twice about this.. I have a friend they tried to use an Air compressor to clean out his pc.. blew a capacitor right off his video card..

Last edited:
umm... I'd think twice about this.. I have a friend they tried to use an Air compressor to clean out his pc.. blew a capacitor right off this video card..

That's the kind of power I expect and need hehe. Yeah, it's not for everyone or for every computers.

The dust is what keeps everything from coming loose. Ok I do need to clean the dog hair out of the kybrd.

Back