National Broadband Map May Not Cost $350M

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Want to know what’s going on with the broadband map that was planned in the US? The Associated Press takes a look and found that things are actually moving forward, though it’s expected that the effort to map the nation’s broadband access will surpass the $350 million cap. I know you’re surprised but try to contain yourself. ;)

The agency, which is part of the Commerce Department, said it has received requests for $107 million in funding for projects that would map broadband in individual states over the first two years. The states want another $26 million for various purposes over five years, including steps to encourage broadband demand. On top of that, the NTIA will have to spend more money to collate the statewide maps into a national one.

$350 million just to map the internet? What a waste of money, and it won't even be done on time. :rolleyes:

Anyone remember that one internet study congress commissioned? It took over a decade to make, and by then it was so out of date it was a joke?

$350 million just to map the internet? What a waste of money, and it won't even be done on time. :rolleyes:

Anyone remember that one internet study congress commissioned? It took over a decade to make, and by then it was so out of date it was a joke?

This reminds me of a class-action suit I once participated in. It was for a defective floppy drive on an HP computer. The settlement offered me a free year of tech support and a 256MB flash drive to supersede the broken floppy drive.

The affected computer was purchased in 2003. I received note of the settlement in 2008, when 4GB flash drives could be had for $10.

when was the last time the .gov did anything on time or on budget? i cant remember it

$350 million to make a map, someone got paid off really big. It probably went towards the Stargate program. Sorta like those $900 screwdrivers.

Why wouldn't Congress just ORDER the ISP's to turn over their network data.... certainly THEY know who and where they have what coverage offered and purchased?

For FREE.

So it's a $350M payout to whomever lobby'd and contributed for it.

Once again, there SHOULD be fiber to the home for 100% of all US homes. We already paid for it, we paid the phone company $200 BILLION over 30 years for it, and it was never delivered.

Either wire every home with fiber OR pay us back the $200 BILLION with interest....ATT and Baby Bells, you listening?

That way, for $0 the answer is 100% broadband penetration. Cough.

This reminds me of a class-action suit I once participated in. It was for a defective floppy drive on an HP computer. The settlement offered me a free year of tech support and a 256MB flash drive to supersede the broken floppy drive.

The affected computer was purchased in 2003. I received note of the settlement in 2008, when 4GB flash drives could be had for $10.

thats horseshit. from my experience, never participate in class action lawsuits. they are almost never worth it.

Ha ha, is anyone surprised? Iraq was supposed to pay for its own reconstruction too... A trillion dollars later...

$350mil that the comms companies don't have to spend. I love how big biz can shove their costs onto the public. Isn't this a study that should be conducted by a privately funded Co-op for the benefit of the businesses funding it? I tend to think private biz would get it done faster and cheaper since the providers already have all the data; whereas, the gov can't even figure out what "broadband" is. :mad:

What a waste. Oh wait, We need another 500 mil for you to post your internet speed on your network :rolleyes:

If you're going to spend that kind of money to map out broadband coverage then atleast make it mandatory that all isp's add new detailed coverage when ever they do new expansions. That way there aren't any long term maintanence costs and it wont go completely out of date as soon as the funding stops.

Back