Nasty hum from my Dell U3011

Nvidia_ATI

Limp Gawd
Well, the title says it all. I have hit a brick wall with the noise pollution my pair of U3011s are subjecting me to. The nasty hum originates from the lower right hand side of the monitors when brightness is less than 100% There is no way I can run the monitors at max brightness; my eyes will pick a serious quarrel with me! I am considering RMAing both monitors. Is this hum a universal problem for all U3011s? Is it very likely that the replacement I get from Dell will have the same issues? :mad:

I have a U3011. The only time I had a humming noise was because the power cable was loose.

The power cable is well connected to my monitor. The cause of the noise must be something else.

Is the noise high-pitched? If so, and you don't mind voiding your warranty, you can use epoxy on the inductors to silence them.

Is the noise high-pitched? If so, and you don't mind voiding your warranty, you can use epoxy on the inductors to silence them.

I will say it is more of a mid tone. Could that still be due to inductors? I am apprehensive about voiding my warranty. I wondered if this is a common problem with U3011s

my u3011 has no problems for me after like 2 years still

That's good to know. So my monitor is really defective

how good is the monitor for gaming? response time is not that fast

For FPS games that have built in motion blur like FarCry 3, the performance is poor. But for most of the games I play such as Tomb raider and Metro LL, it was average. In general, twitch FPS are average on this monitor but slower adventure/platforming games like AC and Oblivion are ok. I am planning to spring for the new Asus ROG swift monitor which is 1440p TN panel. I know the colors will pale in comparison to my U3011 but it will not matter too much during gaming. I'll keep the U3011 for general desktop tasks. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Back