NASA’s 3D-Printed Mars Habitat Competition Doles Out Prizes to Concept Habs

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
NASA is running a multi-year contest to design 3D-printable habs for Mars using on-planet materials. The contest is in the first part of the third phase and the teams are putting together designs with Building Information Modeling software. This ensures the structures are functional and you have to account for all the conditions the structure will have to endure. Each hab must have 1,000 square feet of space and it must support four people for a year. The entrants really came up with some great ideas. Check out one of the winning entry videos here and then go see the rest at the source.

Watch the video here.

The teams split a total of $100K for this phase, and are now moving on to the hard part: actually building these things. In spring of 2019 they’ll be expected to have a working custom 3D printer that can create a 1:3 scale model of their habitat.

Who wouldn't want to live in a giant tampon. And when it gets some red sand on...

This is the coolest tech I have EVER seen. Holy crap. So excited!

Can't wait till we can use this kind of tech to build homes rapidly here on Earth.

. In spring of 2019 they’ll be expected to have a working custom 3D printer that can create a 1:3 scale model of their habitat.

A habitat for ants? How can we be expected to teach astronauts to learn how to Martian if they can't even fit inside the building? I don't wanna hear your excuses! The habitat has to be at least three times bigger than this!

I can't help but wonder where the liquid for mixing the Mars concrete will come from, will it be sent in the spacecraft of will it somehow extract moisture from the atmosphere ?

Back