NASA Will Stream 360-Degree View of Atlas Rocket Launch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
You may visit NASA’s YouTube channel today at 11:11AM ET for the first-ever 360-degree live rocket launch. Shooting off into space will be an Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida, carrying 7,600 pounds of food, water, tools, and science experiments for the International Space Station. Making the video possible is four fisheye-lens cameras on the edges of the launchpad and a computer in a blast-proof box.

For the first time, cameras will provide live 360-degree video of a rocket heading toward space. NASA will provide the 360 stream Tuesday as an unmanned Atlas rocket blasts off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, with a capsule full of space station supplies. The stream will begin 10 minutes before the scheduled 11:11 a.m. liftoff and continue until the rocket is out of sight. The four fisheye-lens cameras are located at the periphery of the pad, about 300 feet (100 meters) from the rocket. A computer in a blast-proof box will stitch together the images for a full, in-the-round view. There will be about a minute lag time.

I get the odd feeling this will be nothing but smoke lol, still going to try and watch it

WTF happened to it? NASA can't get their streaming right?

Fucking Comcast.

launch is near the 11min mark. The 360 view is still cool, but i think the rocket scared the camera into not working. :p

WTF did I just watch, looked like a model rocket launch to me, damn that thing shot up so fast! Impressive! :ROFLMAO:

In unrelated news elsewhere, NASA reported it has discovered what looks like furballs on Uranus.

Back