NASA to Launch SpaceX Safety Review Following Elon Musk's Pot Interview

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
NASA and SpaceX have enjoyed a very fruitful business relationship, but a controversial interview where Elon Musk smoked weed and drank whiskey is allegedly endangering it. The Washington Post reports that the interview prompted a safety review of SpaceX. While NASA didn't specifically confirm the reasoning, a NASA spokesman did say the agency would "ensure the companies are meeting NASA's requirements for workplace safety, including the adherence to a drug-free environment."

SpaceX and Boeing currently have a contract with NASA to fly astronauts to and from the International Space Station (ISS) starting next year. Since 2011, NASA has had a contract with Russia to fly American astronauts to and from the ISS on Soyuz rockets. A Soyuz rocket was forced to make an emergency landing in October at the beginning of a flight to the ISS. which may have also played a role in prompting the safety review. The Russian contract is set to expire in November of next year. If American astronauts want to continue to fly to the ISS, Boeing and SpaceX will quickly have to step up to the plate and ace the review.

I can't seem to muster a fuck to give, other than this post.

Can we get back to exploring space yet? maybe put some boots on mars (even if they die, I know there are lots that would gladly go just for the fame)?

Yeah, they have to come up with something to keep justifying dumping Cubic buttloads of money into their "Non-Weed-Smoking" contractors that haven't delivered anything worth a fuck since the 70's.

He's accomplished as much as NASA did in the 60's in less time, for WAY less money, that came out of his pocket.

If I were a Senator, I'd be asking where all the money for the SLS went, why it's YEARS behind schedule, and Needs more than another Billion dollars to finish.

"OOh, he might spend our money on Weed!!"

:rofl:

Yeah, they have to come up with something to keep justifying dumping Cubic buttloads of money into their "Non-Weed-Smoking" contractors that haven't delivered anything worth a fuck since the 70's.

I wanted to say something like this but couldnt find nice words like this. I want more space exploration and progress so bad but NASA is so so shitty without another super power to space race against. They blame budget cuts but yeah... what you said.

Good god NASA, do what you're fucking supposed to do, which is not harassing competitors for what they do on their own time. Didn't watch the whole clip, but he took one puff from what I saw. And why the fuck do companies need to follow NASA's requirements for workplace safety? At the very most I would say they need to follow safety guidelines for shit that flies into space, not what people do at the company.

I love NASA, but seriously WTF.

As much as I love the IDEA of NASA, the SLS really does give it a huge black eye. And I know they don't carry 100% of the blame. Congress has a say in NASA, and congress has wheels in their districts to grease.

Wait, so one guy, who hires others to build a space ship, and probably doesn't even do anything other than look at it's progress, and smoked weed during an interview, is cause for NASA to do a "safety review?"

I would be happy with some boots on the moon.

b-b-but they ran out of space and needed the original Apollo tape to continue their mission statement!

"*gives drescherjm a tinfoil hat*" (quotes are to convey sarcasm since i know there are a few who resort to this line of conduct when this issue comes up).

yeah, i'm with you dresch': if you "accidentally" wipe the data for arguably one of the most important feats in our lifetime, then certainly you should be able to go back and get a higher quality recording this go around.

"b-b-but wee needed da space!!" smfh

Reactions: c3k
like this
b-b-but they ran out of space and needed the original Apollo tape to continue their mission statement!

"*gives drescherjm a tinfoil hat*" (quotes are to convey sarcasm since i know there are a few who resort to this line of conduct when this issue comes up).

yeah, i'm with you dresch': if you "accidentally" wipe the data for arguably one of the most important feats in our lifetime, then certainly you should be able to go back and get a higher quality recording this go around.

"b-b-but wee needed da space!!" smfh

I did not think he was questioning the original moon landing, maybe I'm wrong. Those idiots are almost as bad as the flat earthers, but people need something to occupy their attention.

Government contracts. NASA has given money to SpaceX and has contracts with them for engines designs and launches. Government rules are along the lines of someone profiled as a drug user can be compromised easier, that is to spy or turn over secret information. It has nothing to do with steady hands or build quality. It is about information, of which he would have the most access. By him doing this it puts NASA in a tight spot as SpaceX is their subcontractor for the launches. More than willing to bet NASA is under pressure to do this.

Weed isn’t going to make people hand over classified information.

You can make that argument with the federal government. It is their contract, they get to have whatever rules they want.

rtnsar.jpg

I did not think he was questioning the original moon landing, maybe I'm wrong

You are correct I was not. However the last time they were on a moon I was less than a year old.

Last edited:
I can't seem to muster a fuck to give, other than this post.

Can we get back to exploring space yet? maybe put some boots on mars (even if they die, I know there are lots that would gladly go just for the fame)?

I'm down, as long as a bunch of potheads aren't running the show. You know, cause it would suck if they forgot to fill your O2 tanks.

They do know that Elon isn't physically or probably even technically putting these things together, right? I mean, he's not out there all high gassing up the engines.

Government contracts. NASA has given money to SpaceX and has contracts with them for engines designs and launches. Government rules are along the lines of someone profiled as a drug user can be compromised easier, that is to spy or turn over secret information. It has nothing to do with steady hands or build quality. It is about information, of which he would have the most access. By him doing this it puts NASA in a tight spot as SpaceX is their subcontractor for the launches. More than willing to bet NASA is under pressure to do this.

They do know that Elon isn't physically or probably even technically putting these things together, right? I mean, he's not out there all high gassing up the engines.

See my post above.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I still remember watching that vid he did with Pothead Joe Rogan and still cringe every time I think about it. Joe Rogan is the weed lover's poster boy, the dude has to smoke weed every hour just to get through each day. I love SpaceX, love Elon Musk, but man what an error in judgement he had when deciding to do an interview with Joe Rogan. I mean this just wasn't a good impression of the dude that is running SpaceX. Jeff Bezos is probably shaking his head.

DISCLOSURE - I'm a SpaceX fan.

... More than willing to bet NASA is under pressure to do this.

I'm also willing to bet NASA is under pressure to do this, but not for a valid reason. There has been a steady negative press campaign against SpaceX, with articles or opinion pieces being produced for non-tech-savvy news outlets in regions where SLS funding is spent. The pro-space media has been pretty cunning at tracing these articles back to their roots; Boeing recently found themselves in the spotlight in Forbes, Business Insider, etc., for repackaging a safety debate about SpaceX's fueling procedure so that it appeared to come from a retired NASA engineer (note - I didn't link Forbes or Business Insider articles because of paywalls and adcockblockers).

To me, this 'cultural assessment' of 'workplace safety' smacks of a different way of generating negative press. I'm sure this review will amount to nothing, but the 'reason' for the review will make its way through the media outlets and expose SpaceX to more negative opinions. And why would Boeing bother? Because if you pile up enough negative energy against a competitor, and then the competitor has a misstep, you can use that negative energy to bury them. Remember the McDonnell Douglas DC-10? The DC-10, an airframe that would eventually become known for long-term durability, was the investment that brought McDonnell Douglas to insolvency, and it was Boeing that bought McDonnell Douglas.

It's bullshit.

This is pretty comical in a way.

Smoking weed and drinking whiskey, we must evaluate Musk's sanity.

People walk around all day talking to invisible, imaginary sky jebus, give them a job in Congress or the DoD and put them in oversight of said programs.

Which has a more tenuous grasp on reality is the subject of reasonable debate.

I wondered when taking one puff turned into "smoking weed"... was it way back when congressional hearings turned into "I didn't inhale" when questioning people?

I mean when I tweaked my back I was prescribed opiates, and didn't take that many, however some years later I have taken one or two when I was in a lot of pain from leftovers... holy shit I'm a fucking addict!

I'm down, as long as a bunch of potheads aren't running the show. You know, cause it would suck if they forgot to fill your O2 tanks.

Hey if I was stuck in space for god knows how long, I might want those tanks filled with WeedO2 :p

He's accomplished as much as NASA did in the 60's in less time, for WAY less money, that came out of his pocket.
Okay, I'm both a fan of Musk as well as a cannabis enthusiast so to speak, but let's bring ourselves back down to reality. NASA put living humans on the Moon in the 1960s, with 1960s technology, and in under a decade.

I'm glad SpaceX is now leading the charge on modern space exploration (althought that's not a huge surprise given NASA's budget these days) but the Musk hero worship is a little out of control. I don't care about him smoking weed, but he does need to stop accusing people of being pedophiles on Twitter.

Maybe NASA employees need to smoke more weed. Maybe then they’d get some useable rockets.

NASA has NOT given any design info to SpaceX. The info is so classified, that they recovered a Saturn V from the ocean to discover the tech; that Wasn't SpaceX, BTW.

Weed isn’t going to make people hand over classified information.

years back, being Gay was enough to keep you out of a Govt clearance, as well as many other innocuous things.

You can make that argument with the federal government. It is their contract, they get to have whatever rules they want.

Yes, A Facist government can do what they want. We do not have one yet.

Okay, I'm both a fan of Musk as well as a cannabis enthusiast so to speak, but let's bring ourselves back down to reality. NASA put living humans on the Moon in the 1960s, with 1960s technology, and in under a decade.

But exactly what have they done since then?

Shut down the Shuttle program, after fucking it up to where we lost two of them for easily foreseeable reasons?

They launched too cold, and followed it up with changing how the insulation was made to a very frangible product? Tha fuck...

Weed is ALWAYS used to discredit the Unapproved.

Reagan Started the drug war with the Cocaine for money for Tow missles to Iran; I knew locals that flew the planes.
Amazing how they all died when it hit the papers... The Coke WAS great tho, no cut whatsoever.

The Crack invention also came from the cia labs, Ether was too expensive...

Those who ignore the past...

Damn, I need to quit posting tonight, the China thing fucked me up. I'm out.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I still remember watching that vid he did with Pothead Joe Rogan and still cringe every time I think about it. Joe Rogan is the weed lover's poster boy, the dude has to smoke weed every hour just to get through each day. I love SpaceX, love Elon Musk, but man what an error in judgement he had when deciding to do an interview with Joe Rogan. I mean this just wasn't a good impression of the dude that is running SpaceX. Jeff Bezos is probably shaking his head snorting coke and laughing his ass off.
FTFY

Yes, A Facist government can do what they want. We do not have one yet.

I don't think you know what that means in this context. They can do and demand whatever they want for the terms of a contract, if you don't want to meet those terms, they go to someone who will.

Yeah, nothing like watching a non-smoker try to look cool for the audience.

Watch a snoop dogg video; you'll see what I mean. :)

Meanwhile these guys go home have a drink or two and think nothing of it...funny stuff.

Who cares if he smokes a little, a man with that level of thought and stress in his life, probably a good idea for his mental health to mellow out. Hes contributed so much in his lifetime already, he gets a pass from me.

Back